Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Sailor Moon S1 also has the one bad guy who uses his evil powers to make a pencil evil to turn a lady into a monster or something with a completely straight face which normally I would assume was unintentional humor but it’s Sailor Moon so I think on some level someone was laughing a lot at the idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Last Celebration posted:

Sailor Moon S1 also has the one bad guy who uses his evil powers to make a pencil evil to turn a lady into a monster or something with a completely straight face which normally I would assume was unintentional humor but it’s Sailor Moon so I think on some level someone was laughing a lot at the idea.

That woman was an animator working on the Sailor V cartoon who is seduced into buying the Possessed Pencils because her boss chews her out over her work not being up to standard.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
the weirdest coincidence is that if you look at the animator lady, she really looks a hell of a lot like Rebecca Sugar does

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is there any reason to play Monster Rancher 1 over 2 in the collection? I only had 2 growing up so idk if they're that different or if 2 is just like, a better version of the same formula.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Is there any reason to play Monster Rancher 1 over 2 in the collection? I only had 2 growing up so idk if they're that different or if 2 is just like, a better version of the same formula.

monster rancher 2 is the main draw, its basically just an improvement on the original. i think theres a couple monsters that got cut for new ones in 2 but besides that there's no real unique features in 1 that make it better. the collection kinda acknowledges this because monster rancher 2's ost is fully remasterd while monster rancher 1's, is not.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Monster Rancher 1 is the only one with Scribble, the monster that's mostly famous for sounding like a dumb playground rumor (raise a famous living wall, then have it lose a bunch of fame and punks will graffiti it, and then you can combine it to bring the graffiti to life)

Also Disk and Magic, but nobody cares about those guys.

MR2 is really just a bigger and more polished version of the same game so aside from the novelty of it there's not much reason to play MR1.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Is Bayonetta a magical girl?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
magical lady, thankyouverymuch

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Scribble is actually the graffiti'd Monol that you fuse to get a Doodle, the actual weird cartoon race. Doodles are only in MR1 and MRA2 weirdly enough.

And yeah, MR2 is basically a strict improvement. MR1 is a really weird janky game that didn't understand their own balance just yet. Defence is broken as hell in it and you use withering techs to just win the game for free.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

magical lady, thankyouverymuch
We call that a "witch", OP.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Barudak posted:

From the western side, Gandalf is a sword wielder

I'm pretty sure the weapon archtypes in Middle Earth are Sword user, Bow user, and Gimli.

loquacius posted:

The archetypal wizards are Gandalf and Merlin, both of whom used swords at least sometimes. I honestly think the (extremely common) idea that wizards can only hold sticks came from D&D where it was implemented for balance purposes.

Wizards in D&D didn't need weapons because after the first few levels they're walking WMDs. Though they can buff themselves to become physical powerhouses. IIRC, high level mages in Baldur's Gate 2 are better frontline fighters than actual Fighters because they can fire off their billion defensive buffs and then champion call or whatever that spell's called that turns them into a fighter of equal level with 18/00 strength for a short period of time.

Though why anyone would want to weaken themselves like that instead of dropping meteors on their enemies while summoning poo poo to fight for them...:shrug:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

hey I never said it was enough of a balance :colbert:

they still wanted to give people a reason to make people pick other classes so your frontline sword guys weren't sword wizards and your rogues weren't sneak wizards &c &c, and this is where the "wizards simply cannot hold swords" thing came from

(in 4e they just went all-in on the sword wizard / sneak wizard idea)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

there's a questline in LOTRO where you seek guidance from the master of your class archetype from the original Fellowship, like a Hunter would seek guidance from Legolas, a Captain would seek guidance from Boromir, and so on

the quest for the tank class (Guardian) involves seeking guidance from Sam, and it turns out at the end that the only reason you were sent to him is that the quest-giver thought you said "gardener"

thought that was a nice touch

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Barudak posted:

The actual mascot character for Japanese cops deserves their own platforming game, I agree.

The Blue Badger?!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

loquacius posted:

there's a questline in LOTRO where you seek guidance from the master of your class archetype from the original Fellowship, like a Hunter would seek guidance from Legolas, a Captain would seek guidance from Boromir, and so on

the quest for the tank class (Guardian) involves seeking guidance from Sam, and it turns out at the end that the only reason you were sent to him is that the quest-giver thought you said "gardener"

thought that was a nice touch

Lol man LotRO ruled

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1543030/Sword_and_Fairy_7/

Looks like the sequel to Sword and Fairy 6 came about 2 months ago. As I understand it, Sword and Fairy 6 didn't get an English mode until it was patched in later, but 7 has English as an option from the get-go if you select that in the game's Properties box through steam.

It definitely looks nice in the trailers. I found a few reviews that said it's poorly optimized, though. Those fancy graphics are even more demanding than they look. The english translation is pretty weak, too.

Here's the most in-depth review I found with casual googling: https://kimimithegameeatingshemonster.com/2021/11/03/review-sword-and-fairy-7/

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Holy poo poo, the turf wars in Neo TWEWY suck so much. They kill the pacing like a car hitting a moose! Got to the next day and Immediately this is much better.

If they make a third game there should be a perk that just gives you a chance to get every drop from the lower ones if you're playing on a higher difficulty.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
That would be nice but considering how much pins you’ll get after a certain point having every enemy drop it’s Ultimate/Hard/Normal/Easy pins in a sixteen chain fight would be a lot of menu bloat. Or crash the game.

And yeah, the winning move with the first two Scramble Slams is to just come back when you have a full team and Ultimate difficulty. The third one is actually tuned so that it doesn’t take too much effort to get a high score though.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Last Celebration posted:

That would be nice but considering how much pins you’ll get after a certain point having every enemy drop it’s Ultimate/Hard/Normal/Easy pins in a sixteen chain fight would be a lot of menu bloat. Or crash the game.

And yeah, the winning move with the first two Scramble Slams is to just come back when you have a full team and Ultimate difficulty. The third one is actually tuned so that it doesn’t take too much effort to get a high score though.

For Scramble Slams I just equipped easy-to-combo, weak pins and went to town. Would max out my rewards by the first couple screens.

I really liked the game, but agree that those had some terrible pacing.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
fallen into the gamer shame of, i really really just want to finish dds2 tonight and i'm kind of pissed off that i got such rotten luck on the earth phase that the final boss managed to hit me with mudo and curse repeatedly and then reverted cielo and i basically got caught in an endless loop of having to revive cielo only to have him die the next turn, after having no trouble in the fight up to that point

i even gave the boy mudo resist. what the gently caress.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Finished Caligula 2 and as much as I loved the character writing in it, I feel like everyone was kind of unaccountably a dick to the final boss at the end.

(also the semifinal boss had better music but that's probably the most banging battle track in the game)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
ok well i beat the final boss of dds2 on my second try and it didn't even land mudo or curse a single time. what the gently caress

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Finished Caligula 2 and as much as I loved the character writing in it, I feel like everyone was kind of unaccountably a dick to the final boss at the end.

(also the semifinal boss had better music but that's probably the most banging battle track in the game)
I thought that was weird too. It's like they turned into the party from Caligula 1 for a minute there. I do like that sequence in general, though. It's such a brilliant anticlimax.

Did you try taking the world's most obvious bad ending a couple of chapters earlier? And if not, did you keep a save there? I couldn't bring myself to do what you have to do just to see what happens, but I learned later that you get to see something special if you do.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
(The special thing in question is a boss fight against Wicked, and a reprise of Cosmo Dancer. Which you can even carry over as a Chijack if you go into New Game+ with that save, apparently. Talk about a lot of effort for something nobody will ever see.)

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

The Colonel posted:

ok well i beat the final boss of dds2 on my second try and it didn't even land mudo or curse a single time. what the gently caress

Complaining on the internet is a tried and true solution to roadblocks, friend.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

FractalSandwich posted:

I thought that was weird too. It's like they turned into the party from Caligula 1 for a minute there. I do like that sequence in general, though. It's such a brilliant anticlimax.

Did you try taking the world's most obvious bad ending a couple of chapters earlier? And if not, did you keep a save there? I couldn't bring myself to do what you have to do just to see what happens, but I learned later that you get to see something special if you do.

It's weird because like every other boss had this reconciliation scene, including ones which were probably bigger assholes, but the final boss who is mostly guilty of being an immature dick which is kind of excusable in her case, I mean she's a teenage shut-in, what do you expect gets everyone wanting to kick her rear end.

also one of my favorite things where Idk if it was foreshadowing or what, but Niko having the second highest intelligence stat in the game, just behind the literal boy genius was a good touch.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
What's the first RPG you would show or play with your future child (or, say, a nephew or niece if you don't plan to have kids)?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Pokémon probably. Or if that doesn’t count Final Fantasy IX.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

My nephew enjoyed watching me play Earthbound, and a bit of Persona 5.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
vanilla phantasy star universe

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Junpei posted:

What's the first RPG you would show or play with your future child (or, say, a nephew or niece if you don't plan to have kids)?

Whatever the latest, coolest one on the market is. Preferably one that will be popular enough for them to irrationally defend it online for decades and demand remasters

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Junpei posted:

it's not out yet

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Junpei posted:

neptunia

Barudak
May 7, 2007

He cousin, check out this game. Its about a kid whose about the same age as you, and they have brain cancer and die!

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Junpei posted:

I’d make them play Dragon Quest 1. It was good enough for me as a kid, it should be good enough for them.

Though my nephew started out with Pokémon before I had a chance to do that.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Barudak posted:

He cousin, check out this game. Its about a kid whose about the same age as you, and they have brain cancer and die!
game owns though, they could develop an irrational love for Lars's moon waifu

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Pokemon is the obvious answer but Paper Mario 1 would also be a good choice if you have a way to play it set up

Or Bug Fables if not

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Started playing Final Fantasy XII the Zodiac Age and the only way I can get through the cutscenes is by mercilessly riffing on them with my wife. Game is definitely better with the speed up option and individualized license boards but the plot is still ridiculous and the music is way more epic than what’s going on (Vaan poking a Hyena with a broadsword)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Junpei posted:

racing lagoon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Junpei posted:

devil survivor