Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Charles Fort! He's the grandfather of so much of modern weird reporting. I'm sure he's come up in the thread before?

That reminds me, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Thunderstorm is the devil/UFO/ball lightning blowing up a church in England in the 1600s.

And another favorite from Victorian times: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring-heeled_Jack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

It's to my shame that I have not read any more of Fort than what I catch as excerpts in later works, but for those who don't know, he's literally the reason that Fortean stuff is called that. He stands on the cusp of the transition from spiritualism to modern ufology, kind of a John the Baptist character, prefiguring the first modern ufologists writing in the wake of the Kenneth Arnold sighting.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I'm in the process of starting a publishing company to publish small runs of limited edition handbound letterpress books and this one is on my list to do an edition of at some point.

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

RE: Sun doom

Four days ago an article was published by researchers who saw the largest ever "superflare" emitted by a sun-like star, these quotes are taken from the CU boulder article

quote:

In the research, Namekata, Nostu and their colleagues used telescopes on the ground and in space to peer at EK Draconis, which looks like a young version of the sun. In April 2020, the team observed EK Draconis ejecting a cloud of scorching-hot plasma with a mass in the quadrillions of kilograms—more than 10 times bigger than the most powerful coronal mass ejection ever recorded from a sun-like star.

quote:

Such a superflare could also happen on Earth’s sun but not very often, maybe once every several thousand years. Still, it got Notsu’s team curious: Could a superflare also lead to an equally super coronal mass ejection?

“Superflares are much bigger than the flares that we see from the sun,” Notsu said. “So we suspect that they would also produce much bigger mass ejections. But until recently, that was just conjecture.

quote:

Still, Notsu noted that huge mass ejections may have been much more common in the early years of the solar system. Gigantic coronal mass ejections, in other words, could have helped to shape planets like Earth and Mars into what they look like today.

“The atmosphere of present-day Mars is very thin compared to Earth’s,” Notsu said. “In the past, we think Mars had a much thicker atmosphere. Coronal mass ejections may help us to understand what happened to the planet over billions of years.”
if there were any attempts at machine life they probably all got fried

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016

Futanari Damacy posted:

Watching the skies alone won't reveal everything because a lot of alien activity is occurring on another dimensional level, or at least not something that could be captured visually where we are now.

I think it would be more fruitful to watch the oceans since so many objects seem to originate from or disappear into the sea, wherever they're going we can presume it's an earthly realm than anything in the sky that we can't chase down.

think it would be way harder to watch the oceans than space tbh

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apkallu#Uanna_(Oannes)_or_Adapa?

quote:

Apkallu (Akkadian) and Abgal (Sumerian:𒉣𒈨 ) are terms found in cuneiform inscriptions that in general mean either "wise" or "sage".

In several contexts the Apkallu are seven demi-gods, sometimes described as part man and part fish, associated with human wisdom; these creatures are often referred to in scholarly literature as the Seven Sages.

A further use of the term Apkallu is when referring to figurines used in apotropaic rituals; these figurines include fish-man hybrids representing the seven sages, but also include bird-headed and other figures.

In a later work by Berossus describing Babylonia, the Apkallu appear again, also described as fish-men who are sent by the gods to impart knowledge to people. In Berossus, the first one, Oannes (a variant of Uanna), is said to have taught people the creation myth the Enuma Elis.

:tinfoil:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
What fate Amaroka?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Futanari Damacy posted:

The biggest problem with Earth is that human society is organized enough to damage its ecosystem but seemingly not organized enough to stop processes it itself puts in place. "They Live" presents an interesting alternative, that aliens are deliberately letting/making us trash the planet to make it more hospitable to another kind of life. I don't buy it as a serious theory because we're not setting a stable temperature, we're initiating runaway processes and feedback loops that would make the planet inhospitable to anything. Earth as it is now is more desirable than making Venus 2 on purpose.

However if we concede that humanity is a disorganized mess, that's also the perfect set of circumstances for something more well-organized to take control.

If, however, you work on the assumption that the aliens feed off of human suffering it explains basically everything

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Humans feed off human misery, aliens dont give a poo poo.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Futanari Damacy has issued a correction as of 03:32 on Dec 15, 2021

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Pontificating rear end posted:

Humans feed off human misery, aliens dont give a poo poo.

If your brain generates an energy field we aren't aware of, that energy could be harvestable in a way we're unable to imagine, and negative emotions might be the brain energy version of cocaine

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Slavvy posted:

If your brain generates an energy field we aren't aware of, that energy could be harvestable in a way we're unable to imagine, and negative emotions might be the brain energy version of cocaine

The machine elves that constantly and invisibly surround me and harvest my emotions are gonna be partying like Nikki Sixx tonight

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Slavvy posted:

Ya but you could use money as an example of something that is harvestable and produces exciting brain chemicals such that it reinforces behavior which brings misery onto others

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

psychic entities minting endless mental shitcoins on blockchains of misery

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

goochtit posted:

ah, the aliens are behind the george floyd NFTs

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

goochtit posted:

this sounds like a really lovely prog rock song

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Pontificating rear end posted:

Ya but you could use money as an example of something that is harvestable and produces exciting brain chemicals such that it reinforces behavior which brings misery onto others

I mean yeah we agree here, the systems that run the world are fundamentally dysfunctional leading to mass misery and capitalism is the driving engine behind it. I think that's a perfect mechanism for generating gigawatts of delicious misery. Wouldn't you want to encourage it as much as possible and try to steer things toward the worst possible outcomes, just like the wealthy do for cash? It's like a misery fractal.

Azathoth posted:

It reads really well to this tune

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHcmnowjfrQ

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Azathoth posted:

Pretty sure it's a track on Tarkus.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Futanari Damacy has issued a correction as of 03:32 on Dec 15, 2021

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Slavvy posted:

This being the actual 40k universe would explain so much.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

D-Pad posted:

This being the actual 40k universe would explain so much.

Everyone leave the loving emperor alone then lol

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Absolutely not. We need to get that man parenting classes stat.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

you all motherfuckers like ghosts and poo poo?

watch Last Night in Soho, beautiful film, delightful lead

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Andy Pandy
Dec 11, 2007

Grimey Drawer

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
Did Chaos Magick Break Reality?

What the hell is going on? Coronavirus, societal collapse, monoliths, aliens, what more do I need to say? Did William S. Burroughs actually achieve his goal of breaking reality? Let me explain. William S. Burroughs was a member of Peter J. Carroll’s magickal organization, The Illuminates of Thanateros. They practiced chaos magick, a system of magick that denies all fixed models of reality. Basically they are encouraged to believe in whatever reality they want. Burroughs was also an author who often used the cut-up method to write his novels, a technique that involves cutting up newspapers and magazines, putting the clippings in a hat, and then randomly pulling them out to create sentences. Burroughs believed the cut-up method was a form of chaos magick that destabilized language, which he claimed was the main control mechanism of reality. Burroughs’ goal was to utterly destroy and dismantle all control systems and he thought his cut-ups could help him achieve this.
https://preview.redd.it/t8vs6iipdw561.png?width=680&format=png&auto=webp&s=47f50bf4b8defd8e57d1cf2375b20cfdb5e1fbdc
Burroughs’ cut-ups sometimes seemed to predict the future. They also seemed to generate synchronicities, one of them being the 23 enigma, which has since been popularized by the Jim Carrey movie The Number 23. It seems randomness can help one get closer to the transcendental. To understand this idea better, think about how people flip a coin to decide someone’s fate. Or how people randomly pull out tarot cards to communicate with spirits. Burroughs was in contact with Robert Anton Wilson, and Burroughs told him about the 23 enigma. Wilson started seeing the number everywhere too, and this inspired him to incorporate the idea into his most famous book series, The Illuminatus! Trilogy. Ironically, the Discordian Society is a group of people who “worship” the goddess of chaos, Eris. It has been described as complex joke disguised as a religion or a complex religion disguised as a joke. They also deny the knowability of objective truth.
https://preview.redd.it/ejwteyfsdw561.png?width=391&format=png&auto=webp&s=4cb90ffc7f41fafb29f92754498c58d2aa3f4e9b
Wilson was in contact with Kerry Thornley, and when they started talking, Wilson fell in love with the idea of the Discordian Society and the Illuminati because he saw it as a way to bring the left-wing and right-wing together. And so he wrote three books about it. Wilson and Thornley would also initiate Operation Mindfuck, which was basically their attempt to enlighten the masses by spreading so many fake conspiracies and disinformation, people’s brains would essentially short circuit, causing their rigid belief systems to dissolve. However, Thornley started to believe the Illuminati was real after strange things started happening to him. The FBI questioned him about being a double for Lee Harvey Oswald during the assassination of JFK. At first he denied this, but eventually he came to believe he really was.
https://preview.redd.it/gp4njnrudw561.png?width=311&format=png&auto=webp&s=9d529518eed438d9762a29b97544fc925c43f86b
Coincidentally, Thornley befriended Lee Harvey Oswald before the assassination, wrote a book about him defecting to the Soviet Union called Idle Warriors, unknowingly lived down the street from him, and unknowingly lived in his old work place which was turned into an apartment. The coincidences go on and on. And they get stranger. But anyways, Thornley started believing Wilson, or at least a clone of Wilson, was his CIA handler and that he and Oswald were a product of MKUltra and a Nazi breeding experiment.
https://preview.redd.it/t77ia7uwdw561.png?width=494&format=png&auto=webp&s=728fbcd70f518b54d2cce5603c6111f946e39d81
Wilson and Burroughs were also friends with Joseph Matheny, the creator of Ong’s Hat, the first alternate reality game. An ARG is a game that uses the real world as a platform and transmedia storytelling. They can be so immersive, some people have no idea they’re playing a game. Matheny spread a rumor about an interdimensional portal existing somewhere in New Jersey, and people who believed the story was real, traveled from all over just to try and find it. Oddly enough, many people reported strange synchronicities in the area it was said to be located. On one occasion, Matheny was confronted by the Navy asking him why all these anomalies were popping up. Oddly enough, US spies are now using alternate reality games to study human behavior. Some conspiracy theorists also claim AI is creating ARGs to manipulate people’s beliefs.
U.S. Spies Want to Play Alternate-Reality Games (For Work, They Swear) | WIRED
There is also an obscure group of Discordians who play an ARG called r/TheGame23. These people believe life is literally a game and the universe is like a cosmic ARG. They claim the stories we believe are real create reality. They choose to deny all narratives and write their own.
https://preview.redd.it/03ujqglzdw561.png?width=680&format=png&auto=webp&s=2c138d1c489c892c37cb4d81f8e4c5c1e411f41e
But either way you look at it, it seems we are moving towards the dissolution of consensus reality. There is no true narrative. No one agrees on anything anymore. Someone standing right next to you might live in an alternate universe. And it all started with chaos magick. So was the emergence of chaos magick a symptom of the coming Age of Aquarius? Some say the Mother Goddess will make herself known again during the Aquarian Age. Well then, I find it interesting that chaos is associated with Yin, or the feminine principle. Perhaps all the craziness we are living through is simply a part of a natural cycle. If that’s the case, the only way to stay sane will be to embrace the change. Thanks for reading.

:hmmyes:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

It is fun to think of the scientific "laws of nature" as a malleable force in conflict with complete randomness, two primal forces that ebb and flow throughout time leading us to ages of reason and mysticism in crashing waves

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Nothing is real - to map out the universe as anything other than the will of Zorpho of the Dread Planet Gorgonax 7 is a gross injustice to his dark powers.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
On the one hand I'd be delighted if reality was that malleable, on the other it would mean Noel Edmunds was right all along and that would really chap my rear end

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Rudeboy Detective posted:

Nothing is real - to map out the universe as anything other than the will of Zorpho of the Dread Planet Gorgonax 7 is a gross injustice to his dark powers.

If he was so powerful we'd just call him Zorpho and not have to put a qualifier of the Dread planet.

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
i prefer zorpho of the nice planet

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

charles fort was a protogoon who spent all day posting at the library
he wouldve loved this thread so much
i better not nostalgise more than that it will bring up my pain water

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

https://twitter.com/dwpasulka/status/1470797112703135744?s=21

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

It is fun to think of the scientific "laws of nature" as a malleable force in conflict with complete randomness, two primal forces that ebb and flow throughout time leading us to ages of reason and mysticism in crashing waves

well all praise ahura mazda.

angra mainyu fuckers leave

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Wired still exists?

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

whoa

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

neutral milf hotel posted:

I just want the peanutties reading this thread that I believe in you, and will help you transform the planet into fully automated luxury space communism

:worship:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

neutral milf hotel posted:

I just want the peanutties reading this thread that I believe in you, and will help you transform the planet into fully automated luxury space communism

:worship:

The peanutties aren't bringing space communism though
They're the "there is a coming cataclysm and it's gonna suck and we can't save you all but we can maybe give you telepathy I guess" ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Bilirubin posted:

gonna modify this first impression somewhat. Its also like basic mindfulness exercises. Haven't seen anything in this so far that would actively harm anyone other than suggesting in a poker game to encourage "telepathic cheating"

but I'm only 100 slides into it lmao pntys are very into their public domain clipart

would love for all this to be complete bullshit but everyone who thinks they intuitive or whatever assumes its calmness and oneness that does it, but then when the birds actually comes it turns out you just had to try really REALLY hard, like pants making GBS threads hard and you break through.

the collective HGNnnn at the reveal would own