Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I started ACN for the dual job thing, up to level 50 I used SMN for overworld stuff and SCH for fast queues, at 50 I dropped SMN and although I've levelled a couple of other classes it's always SCH for new dungeons/trials/raids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I wish I liked tanking at all, I’d have an easier time getting into any kind of group. But then I’d have to play a tank...gross

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cythereal posted:

I think it's part of my disconnect with the narrative. I think of my WoL as a healer first and foremost, someone here to heal and support who fights only as a last resort. Treating the WoL as an adrenaline junkie or someone who enjoys the battles that have consumed their life has not, and never will, sit well with me. I play with the idea of my WoL feeling that it takes far more strength and courage to set down your weapon than it takes to pick that weapon up.

I can understand this. Generally-speaking I think the story makes the most sense if the WoL is a tank or a melee DPS job. It does try its best to acknowledge when you're a healer, and it's not like it doesn't sense for casters or ranged DPS (Red Mage especially since it's the caster that charges into melee as well as casting), but if the WoL is a tank or melee DPS then every scene's choreography makes the most sense it can I think.

That's maybe a personal thing for me, though, but it's why I've been glad to do ShB and EW's MSQs on a tank job. The way the WoL is written, being the one on the front lines engaging directly with every enemy seems like what's narratively "expected," almost.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

TGLT posted:

I felt similarly, but also I felt that the top option wasn't signifying that you liked Zenos in any real way. If you can't be honest with a soon to be dead man at the ends of the universe, when can you be?

Which is a fair enough way to go. And since the choice is there to be made, it's a valid interpretation For me and the narrative that I had built up, having Zenos be the one person that could break down the WoL's zen-like compassion and self-awareness made her feel more a part of the setting - that she is just as capable of having a big dumb idiot moment as the rest of the world.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Dec 14, 2021

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I've got the final trial waiting on me whenever I log in today...I dont want it to be over :negative:

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Arist posted:

Theoretically, if I used Zoe on Eukrasian Diagnosis (which I know is probably not a great idea most of the time anyway), I would be kind of screwing myself by giving myself a bigger shield to break for an Addersting charge, right?

Most tankbusters will blow right through it I think? Otherwise just sort of depends on how much damage you're anticipating they'll take within 30 seconds. edit: Now I'm curious just how big of an E.Diagnosis shield you can theoretically make.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Dec 14, 2021

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
drh->drg->drg->drg->drg

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Venuz Patrol posted:

This was the one, best, shot at establishing some darker motivations for the WoL, and I'm so glad the writing team was willing to offer an unrepentantly unheroic option for it

Ending spoilers: I'm not sure I see that option as unheroic, necessarily, but more just an acknowledgement of the joy the WoL might find in what they're doing. I mean you can definitely take it in an unheroic fashion or play it that way if that's what makes sense for your vision of the character, too, but I think it also works in the sense of well... yeah, this has been hard. It's been a long road full of loss and pain and struggle. But it's also been the thrill of a lifetime. One way of seeing that option is the WoL acknowledging that they are an adventurer at heart, and at the end of it all, they wouldn't have it any other way.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Harrow posted:

I can understand this. Generally-speaking I think the story makes the most sense if the WoL is a tank or a melee DPS job. It does try its best to acknowledge when you're a healer, and it's not like it doesn't sense for casters or ranged DPS (Red Mage especially since it's the caster that charges into melee as well as casting), but if the WoL is a tank or melee DPS then every scene's choreography makes the most sense it can I think.

That's maybe a personal thing for me, though, but it's why I've been glad to do ShB and EW's MSQs on a tank job. The way the WoL is written, being the one on the front lines engaging directly with every enemy seems like what's narratively "expected," almost.

That's fair. And I'm used to the feeling that I'm playing the game wrong, given that I play a different race and gender from Trailer Dude, and Trailer Dude has never, ever been a healer.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Kerrzhe posted:

at last. tis done

Other than weekly custom deliveries and the daily GC turnins if starred, are there any tricks to do this more quickly than levequests if the options for those are ugly? Sometimes it's "oh, this job can make items from two leather and a cloth" and another job only wants things made from leather, cloth, lumber, ingots, and a couple of alkahests.

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute
I spent at least half or more of my time as a healer, and I still interpret it as a pretty front-line in the thick of it job. Not all of your adventuring is in a party and sometimes fights just feel like you just taking a silly battering that you can just heal through while you're lobbing rocks and/or lasers at the other guy. You've at least got to pile in for the big stack markers and get down your big heals to make sure the party doesn't evaporate, and MORE BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD LILY is a meme for a reason. (Any other WHMs get a little thrill when you can toss down an Afflatus Misery as the last hit on a boss? Anyone?)

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Completely unrelated to anything current but I decided to start doing command missions so I can finally become a Flame Captain, 7 years late. I swear they picked the most loving sadistic dungeon choices possible for command missions. The loving goblin tank boss at the end of Brayflox Hard is one of the most difficulty loving things I've ever done in this game, trying to push away all the bombs by myself then having to DPS down the big bomb, I must have died like 20 times attempting it.

I'm currently in Wanderer's Palace (Hard) where final boss Dooms you and you need to be healed to full to remove it. Guess what my idiot squadron healer does NOT do.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Venuz Patrol posted:

This was the one, best, shot at establishing some darker motivations for the WoL, and I'm so glad the writing team was willing to offer an unrepentantly unheroic option for it

(EW, 90+) I think even that line's open to a certain degree of heroic interpretation. The conclusion of Zenos' character arc is him taking Alisaie's advice to heart and coming to meet you halfway: he helps you save the day in a legitimately heroic way, lets you have your moment with Meteion, and even phrases his desire for a fight as a request, not a demand. You saying, "Yeah, I really do like to throw down," is both an earnest admission and an olive branch that acknowledges the change he's undergone.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Xerophyte posted:

Yes, the various shields stack. We can stack Haima and Panhaima too, doing so saved my bacon once in T2Ex when we went in to a repeated stack aoe with 4 people alive and I managed to come out the other end alive with LB3 available.

Good to know that "PUSH EVERY BUTTON" is a valid strat in oh poo poo situations, as opposed to half your stuff stepping on the toes of the other half.

I'm also positive there's some actual use for the Rescue + Icarus position swap, but I couldn't say what it is. The funny applications for it are much more apparent.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
In the run up to the first dungeon, when they're dividing the group you get to point out you're also a healer. The response is that's exactly why they need you up front - you're the group's best healer. But I do wish they acknowledged the healers more than a few moments. It's like, that and I think one moment early on in Stormblood?

TGLT fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 14, 2021

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

drh->drg->drg->drg->drg

:hai:

My WoL woke up in a carriage to Gridania with a lance strapped to his back and while he's occasionally put it down long enough to level some other jobs, nothing ever gets ahead of DRG.

Theris fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Dec 14, 2021

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

TGLT posted:

In the run up to the first dungeon, when they're dividing the group you get to point out you're also a healer. The response is that's exactly why they need you up front - you're the group's best healer. But I do wish they acknowledged the healers more than a few moments. It's like, that and I think one moment early on in Stormblood?

There’s also a moment at the start of Shadowbringers.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Gearhead posted:

At some point I want to double check the cinematics for that room. And see if the pistol had been there the whole time.
FWIW I know that the (85) bottle of alcohol next to the gun is there the whole time but I don't know about the other.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
To be honest it feels to me like healer gets, if anything, more explicit non-role story recognition than tank, if only because they treat the Warrior of Light as shitkicker prime most of the time (and all jobs can DPS), but if they need someone to bear the brunt of an attack it's generally going to be an NPC. But Hollywood Derplander does get to tank frequently, that is true.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

central dogma posted:

Any favorite artifact gear? I've gotten the RDM and SMN so far. The former is good except for the shorts, which is an odd fashion direction unless I'm missing some cultural derivation. The rapier is beautiful though.The SMN armor looks nice, easy to dye, and has wings and a head dong :) But the weapon is a little uninspired.

I'm finishing BLM next, but not excited at all about the gear. I might do a different job instead.
Dragoon looks great close up, but a mess from a distance and the detail is in a form that dyeing doesn't help. Bard's got some style.

Usually I hate broad-brimmed hats in cutscenes, but the bard one often just left my character's nose and smile so I knew what glam I gad to go for. It's a shame Bard doesn't get the Nier raid trenchcoat.

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

Arist posted:

Theoretically, if I used Zoe on Eukrasian Diagnosis (which I know is probably not a great idea most of the time anyway), I would be kind of screwing myself by giving myself a bigger shield to break for an Addersting charge, right?

If you're in a situation where you have to use a GCD on healing, then Addersting is probably a secondary concern, and also whatever's attacking is going to get through your shield anyway

quote:

(which I know is probably not a great idea most of the time anyway)

I think Zoe only affects spells, so it's pretty much either EDiagnosis, EPrognosis or Pneuma

EDiagnosis is fine to use it on

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Dark Knight AF set this go round is incredible with one flaw:

It has such good texture work/is so detailed that it doesn’t mix and match with anything but itself. Other pieces stick out like a sore thumb mixed with it for comparative lack of detail.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ryanbomber posted:

If you're in a situation where you have to use a GCD on healing, then Addersting is probably a secondary concern, and also whatever's attacking is going to get through your shield anyway

I think Zoe only affects spells, so it's pretty much either EDiagnosis, EPrognosis or Pneuma

EDiagnosis is fine to use it on

I just figured Prognosis is a better pick for Zoe most of the time.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Are there any emotes that tip your hat or otherwise manipulate your headgear?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

hazardousmouse posted:

Are there any emotes that tip your hat or otherwise manipulate your headgear?

No, but you can time a macro with /visor so that it looks like you're adjusting your glasses.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

There's a glasses adjusting one.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hogama posted:

To be honest it feels to me like healer gets, if anything, more explicit non-role story recognition than tank, if only because they treat the Warrior of Light as shitkicker prime most of the time (and all jobs can DPS), but if they need someone to bear the brunt of an attack it's generally going to be an NPC. But Hollywood Derplander does get to tank frequently, that is true.

I did like that (approx. level 88 spoilers) the big trailer moment with the WoL charging in with a shield to defend Alisaie from a monster happens almost exactly the same way in-game, except it's G'raha with the sword and shield instead of the WoL. In general I think it was fun how G'raha got to be his all-rounder Trust self in cutscenes throughout Endwalker.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

Carmen Sandiego?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Harrow posted:

I did like that (approx. level 88 spoilers) the big trailer moment with the WoL charging in with a shield to defend Alisaie from a monster happens almost exactly the same way in-game, except it's G'raha with the sword and shield instead of the WoL. In general I think it was fun how G'raha got to be his all-rounder Trust self in cutscenes throughout Endwalker.

Speaking of, I liked how every trailer scene was more or less in the game but they all had better line reads

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Endorph posted:

wouldn't that just be him moving the way he's used to, not some kind of sex/gender thing? like the body is still gonna have muscle memory

Muscle memory exists, sure, but it's not going to entirely change how your consciousness presents itself and wants to move the body you're inhabiting. Frankly, I think I the body's expectations of movement and the mismatch of signals would just make it that much more dysphoria-inducing.

Regardless, it was probably the part of the xpac that got under my skin the most.

edit: to put it another way, I know how I'd feel about it, and my character is very much a stand in for me.

Nancy fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 14, 2021

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking

Bruceski posted:

Dragoon looks great close up, but a mess from a distance and the detail is in a form that dyeing doesn't help. Bard's got some style.

Usually I hate broad-brimmed hats in cutscenes, but the bard one often just left my character's nose and smile so I knew what glam I gad to go for. It's a shame Bard doesn't get the Nier raid trenchcoat.

Gotta say, that is a nice hat. I'll post some pics later.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

Carmen Sandiego?

Yup

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Not a fan of the 5.4 and 5.5 storylines and the way they are telling the story here. The WoL is less and less powerful, relatively speaking, and they invented an entirely new class of enemies, lunar primals, that anyone can fight. One of the cool things about this game was how the WoL was almost a demigod. Receiving plenty of help from the other scions but for most of the end-of-story-arc-quests stood alone against the main badguy.

The Death Unto Dawn quest is one of the least fun quests so far in the entire game. I absolutely hate playing as other characters and this quest did that THRICE, and on top of it those fights weren't trash fights but primal fights normally reserved for the WoL, further underlining that the WoL is less important now.

I hope this is not foreshadowing for how things will play out in EW...

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Well, finally got a Chi kill after camping all evening. Only one more for the count! (Also lol, the server couldn't handle so many situational attacks cause actions were lagging like crazy).

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

multijoe posted:

I don't get why this keeps happening, its a fun anime adventure game stop dragging your personal hangups into it!!

No no, head pats are abuse.

The thing is it's really obvious when someone has a personal hangup about something and is just going ON, but people are (in most cases rightfully) too polite to say something.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Level 83 Trial: Fandaniel is such an over the top jackass. I'm actually starting to like him a bit. Shame I was spoiled on who the Level 83 Trial was, since I imagine that moment would've hit harder if I hadn't been.

Also, I have met the Loporitts. They are almost as dumb as the Namazu, but at least more self-aware about it. I really like them. And the fact that the battle music in their area changes to the Final Fantasy IV battle theme.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I started and ended the game as a black mage. I generally level other classes to see content (and get the equivalent of the "archmage" title) but BLM has been a great rendition of my favorite wizard archetype (the forces/prime mage) from start to finish and I can't see myself ever putting it down.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
People sitting for hours in Chi party finders called the "hellwait" or "the waiting room" really fuckin weird me out. You'll get that poo poo easily, stop abusing yourselves

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Spoiler maybe?

I don't even know what everyone is waiting for, but im glad to be a part of the Argos tower

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

hazardousmouse posted:

People sitting for hours in Chi party finders called the "hellwait" or "the waiting room" really fuckin weird me out. You'll get that poo poo easily, stop abusing yourselves

You have no guarantee that the windows will ever be in a non insane range during the times you can play.