Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Chloe Jessica posted:

AITA telling my ex's daughter the truth about why I can't see her anymore
OP isn't the one punishing Layla for something that's out of her control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

"yeah Bombay cats are a bit aggressive"

"Oh you gonna get the calipers out, Doctor Phrenology?"

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
orange cats are dumb. it's their most endearing feature.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Sisal Two-Step posted:

orange cats are dumb. it's their most endearing feature.

I thought it was their love of lasagna and hatred of Mondays.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

The amount of racism cats experience on a day to day basis is frankly astonishing. I’m glad someone is speaking out

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

PinheadSlim posted:

Personally I wouldn't want my mom to cancel any plans she made just because I was dumb enough to try a surprise party in TYOOL 2021

yeah I kind of... don't think mom is the rear end in a top hat here? If you throw a surprise party for someone you have to know they don't have other plans. My ex threw one for me once - she made plans with me to see a movie. Then picked me up and was like "oh poo poo I forgot something at my house, quick detour" and all my friends were there.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

PetraCore posted:

OP isn't the one punishing Layla for something that's out of her control.

Layla is 14 and is troubled by a traumatic event. OP owed her the age-appropriate truth about what's going on. It's a lovely situation all around but at least Layla is now acting based on what's actually happening.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Someone post the thread where a poc got reported by their white coworker at the pet shelter for saying something "you're looking fat and tasty you chonker"

Apparently the white coworker 100% believed that the poc person was planning to kill and eat the animal after hearing that.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for “causing a scene” at my girlfriends big night?

quote:

Me (25M) and Lauren (26F) have been dating for over two years. Overall we have a great relationship and a great support system of friends and family. Recently we’ve been having talks about getting engaged. Lauren has a full-time job but she’s huge into theatre. She acts in plays at the local community theatre. I will say that me and Lauren have different interests, I’m into sports and she’s into the fine arts. Our friend groups reflect this for sure, hers like galleries/wineries/shows, mine like to golf/tailgate. Our friends have mixed at events without issue, they don’t particularly interact but they aren’t rude to each other either. Now to the issue at hand.

6 months ago Lauren informed me that she got her first directing job. She posted all about it on social media much to our parents/our friends delight. My parents called me immediately and asked for front row tickets. My friends asked to let them know when it was cause they would love to come. I tell Lauren this and she told me she would save seats for them. 3 weeks before the event she tells me she doesn’t have as many tickets and won’t have enough for my extended family/friends. While disappointed I understood because the theatre is small and popular. My friends understood and invited us to my friends bar after to celebrate.

Opening night comes and I show up with my parents, get our tickets and walk into the waiting area. I see her parents and like 25 of her friends. Some of these people are co-workers and not even that close to her. I went to the show and sat in the front row with these people. After the show she came out to all of us waiting, I told her about the bar, she says she already had plans to go to a different one. I was pretty upset at this point but things got escalated when I went with them to this bar and someone said they were happy she still had tickets because they assumed it would be too late. They asked Lauren the day before the show for them. I immediately went up to Lauren and confronted her. I won’t lie, I was visibly upset and people noticed. She asked to go outside and I said I was leaving. Took my parents with me to my friends bar. I received calls from her, her parents and friends. It was embarrassing to show up to my friends bar without Lauren and trying to explain the situation. I stayed at my parents the last few days and when I came back home we haven’t been talking. We are both angry with each other. I asked why she lied and she said my friends “wouldn’t have appreciated the play like her friends”. Her friends are calling me an AH for causing a scene and making her night about me. So AITA?

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for “causing a scene” at my girlfriends big night?

Theater people - not even once.

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0
if she thinks so little of the people you hang out with, she probably doesn't think much better of you :sever:

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Chloe Jessica posted:

AITA telling my ex's daughter the truth about why I can't see her anymore

This one is super sad.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

if you get married it's gonna be all gas and no brakes friend culling time

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

caterpillaropera posted:

AITA for “perpetuating ethnic stereotypes” about Jorts?

I badly needed this palate cleanser, especially since I have a Jorts in my own house.:3: :3:

oh man, this one made me laugh hard

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...

Vim Fuego posted:

NGL when I saw the heading I was like..... there's an ethnic stereotype about jean-shorts??

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Vim Fuego posted:

UPDATE: aita for perpetuating stereotypes about Jorts?
Original HERE

Thanks for responding to my query which had truly upset me. I work to have a good relationship with my team and the situation had gotten weird so gradually that I lost perspective.

I just met with HR, she had already met with Pam. HR was concerned about Pam’s comparing ethnic stereotypes with giving a cat a doorstop and they addressed that which went well. HR will follow up to make sure Pam understands. (The replies to my query were helpful to me for this discussion.)

HR also addressed Pam assigning other staff Jorts-related tutoring, as it is not appropriate for Pam to assign others work. This also went well.

We both think Pam had a hard time with the transition from volunteer to staff, and may have “new kid” sensitivity projected to Jorts. Pam got emotional about her perception that I favor Jean over Jorts and gave specific examples. Some of these things are fair. Jorts deserves respect as a member of our team.

There are 3 buildings in our workplace. Jean and Jorts are limited to one. HR told me there were 5 holdouts about vaccines, and restricting unvaccinated people from entering the building (to protect Jean and Jorts) was enough to win over 4 of them. That’s CRAZY, but great.

More importantly: the cats’ presence greatly enhances our work with our clients, and Jorts’ friendly nature has been so great. Both cats truly are doing important work. Truly Jorts deserves to be treated with respect.

We all deserve to be treated with dignity at work, so I will apologize to Jorts about some things that were insensitive or disrespectful.

a. Jean has a nice cat bed with her name on it, while Jorts has chosen an old boot tray in my office with a towel in it. Recently a visitor put wet boots in the boot tray and Pam saw Jorts sleeping on the wet boots. I bought a bed for Jorts today and a name tag has been ordered.

b. I will apologize to Jorts and remove the sign saying “DAYS SINCE JORTS HAD A TRASH CAN MISHAP: 0” Jorts likes to fish dirty paper cups out and he often falls into the bin or gets a cup stuck on his head, etc. (He is able to get out of the bin by tipping it over so it isn’t a safety issue.)

c. Jean’s “staff bio” has a photo of Jean, while Jorts’ bio has a photo of a sweet potato. I did not actually know either cat had a staff bio, but we will use a photo of Jorts instead of a sweet potato.

HR also suggested changing Pam’s duties so she is “in charge” of the cats. This I refused, the cats are my staff, not Pam’s. I think Pam was well-intended but actually not meeting the needs of either Jean or Jorts so they remain under my supervision. (Pam is also not to put cups on Jorts’ head or intentionally put him into frustrating situations given his unique needs.)

Lastly, and this made us both laugh so hard we can’t deal with it in person and will be said via email: Pam admits that she has been putting margarine on Jorts in an attempt to teach him to groom himself better. This may explain the diarrhea problem Jean developed (which required a vet visit).

Pam is NOT to apply margarine to any of her coworkers. Jean has shown she is willing to be in charge of helping Jorts stay clean. If this task becomes onerous for Jean, we can have a groomer help. I am crying laughing typing this.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
r/relationships: Pam is NOT to apply margarine to any of her coworkers

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

quote:

and restricting unvaccinated people from entering the building (to protect Jean and Jorts) was enough to win over 4 of them. That’s CRAZY, but great.

lmao

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Kenshin posted:

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

The Sage of Jean and Jorts is the best thing I've read all day

Further proof that all orange cats really do share one brain cell

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Also just in case someone doesn't feel like clicking through:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Kenshin posted:

This was written down somewhere either in an email or a memo.

Right now in HR heaven an angel got its wings.

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

AITA for not attending my daughters gender reveal for her lizard?

quote:

This is literally really stupid but she's really upset about it. So my (48) daughter (23) has a blue tongue skink who she heavily adores. She jokingly refers to it as her daughter, I've found it weird but she says it's because it's the closest thing she'd have to a child and she feels a strong emotional bond similar to a child. She has decided to remain child free for multiple reasons and I have been very supportive of this decision.

Well she recently took her Skink to the vet for a checkup and she was excited to find out her Skinks gender. Afterwards I got a text asking if I'd come to her gender reveal party she was having. She explained it was just a small get together with cake and food for her friends she hasn't seen in a while with the gender reveal being mostly a joke (and a way to make fun of real gender reveals).

Well I didn't come. I didn't see a point. It's just a lizard and I'm a busy person. She later called me and expressed she was kind of sad I didn't come cuz it'd been a while since I'd seen her but she understood I was busy. I told her she couldn't actually expect me to come to a gender reveal for a lizard. She said that it wasn't a real gender reveal, that was more of a joke and it was really just a small gathering to catch up with everyone. I told her if that was the case she should've just called it a gathering because I'm not coming to a gender reveal unless it's for a real grand daughter.

She got quiet for a minute and then turned my words around, claiming I wasn't supportive of her decision to be childfree. I told her she can't possibly expect me to treat a lizard as a grand daughter, she said she didn't expect me too but it was clear I didn't respect her bond with her lizard and her decision, and she just wanted to see me and my reason for coming was hurtful. I told her she was being ridiculous over a lizard, she claimed it wasn't over the lizard and it was a gathering and not even centered around the lizard, but I stick by to what I said. It's ridiculous to have a gender reveal for a lizard.

She hung up and I got a message from her best friend about how I'm an rear end in a top hat for treating her that way, but I don't think I'm the rear end in a top hat for not wanting to go to a party for a lizard?

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008
I didn't realize orange cats being dumb was even a thing. Come to think of it one of the smarter cats we had when I was growing up was orange (he figured out how to open the screen door on our porch and would open it to let the dogs and himself in whenever it rained).

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0

Funktastic posted:

holy poo poo lmao

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

this is my favourite bit

quote:

c. Jean’s “staff bio” has a photo of Jean, while Jorts’ bio has a photo of a sweet potato. I did not actually know either cat had a staff bio, but we will use a photo of Jorts instead of a sweet potato.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Anybody want to go to a party for a lizard?

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0
i guess technically the point of the party was tp find out whether the lizard had tits

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Kenshin posted:

This

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Hellblazer187 posted:

remove the sign saying “DAYS SINCE JORTS HAD A TRASH CAN MISHAP: 0”

Booooooo that sign needs to stay up.

Everything about this workplace sounds awesome and I hate Pam for trying to ruin so much of it.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
Putting an image of a sweet potato instead of a picture of the orange cat is loving hilarious.

One of my old roommates had a fat orange cat and the similarities to an actual sweet potato were striking.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Funktastic posted:

Similarly:
https://twitter.com/bigradmachine/status/1047834329659916289?lang=en

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Funktastic posted:

wow impressive that he managed to be the rear end in a top hat, but there it is

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Patience.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I'll be damned if they plan to teach Critical Feline Theory to MY children!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

hawowanlawow posted:

wow impressive that he managed to be the rear end in a top hat, but there it is

I think you missed the part where the daughter is 23 and not actually 11.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

I think you missed the part where the daughter is 23 and not actually 11.

yeah but just read the post, the guy is clearly a huge prick

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
She even made it clear the gender reveal part was a joke, so lambasting her for it and using it as a reason not to come to a gathering is in really poor taste and yes, comes off as bitter that it's not an actual grandchild.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Hellblazer187 posted:

i am dying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Jorts having a photo of a sweet potato just shows that other people in the office totally buy into the dynamic and it's not just the OP, but Pam cannot stand it.

What a great story.