Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

how are you scanning/processing these

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

Included the temp/tint adjustments I made so you can do the same on your end and see if it looks like the photo I posted. Do you have a couple different screens so you can drag it over (or halfway between) and see if there's a color difference? Do you have any software running that adjusts your monitor blue light or tint for nighttime eye health?

Ok, I see it now. drat! I use C1, so the sliders a little different, but for the purpose of this discussion, is close enough for now.

The more important question is, how do I teach myself to see this more easily? Color has frequently been a struggle for me. My monitor has nothing running in the background that adjusts anything other than a fixed color correction. I did my initial edits on a stormy day with a mix of indoor lights being on and off. Did I shoot myself in the foot by doing that or do I just suck at color?

bellows lugosi posted:

how are you scanning/processing these

Epson V850, Silverfast AI Studio with negafix, and Capture 1.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Are you using any kind of eyedropper on neutral tones for the WB? It does a lot of the work.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

Are you using any kind of eyedropper on neutral tones for the WB? It does a lot of the work.

I did, but I guess I have to practice that more.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

scan as a positive (don't use negafix) and invert yourself. invert in ps, b/w points for each channel (pull them in until they clip on part of your image and then pull back until it doesn't clip anymore, the threshold/show clipping tool will aid in this), then pull the blue curve down until blues look okay, then green, then red. or use something like negative lab pro (where you dropper on the film rebate) or colorperfect (where you can use the RingCC tool to move colors easily). negafix and in-scanner color conversions are always gonna be a hassle

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

bellows lugosi posted:

scan as a positive (don't use negafix) and invert yourself. invert in ps, b/w points for each channel (pull them in until they clip on part of your image and then pull back until it doesn't clip anymore, the threshold/show clipping tool will aid in this), then pull the blue curve down until blues look okay, then green, then red. or use something like negative lab pro (where you dropper on the film rebate) or colorperfect (where you can use the RingCC tool to move colors easily). negafix and in-scanner color conversions are always gonna be a hassle

Thanks, gonna try this tomorrow. I initially started using Negafix because Nick Carver had good things to say about it. And to be honest, if I can't fix color tints, I have little faith in doing the entire color inversion by hand, but I have the next 2.5 weeks off and nowhere to go, so I might as well try. But I don't use LR, so NLP is not an option.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

The color inversion in PS as described is really not so bad. Use whatever keystroke it is to show clipping (Alt or ctrl I think).

I think pretty much all of us scan for the entire histogram so we don't lose any data and then get the image correct with the levels after. I don't have a good eye for color and I don't find it super difficult.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

It's easy to fall in love with a tint and not notice it until someone points it out.
If you have a decent amount of variation in colours, using autocolour in photoshop will often show if you're totally off track.
I don't use the result, as it tends to be bland, but I use it to check that I'm not getting tinted.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

ImplicitAssembler posted:

It's easy to fall in love with a tint and not notice it until someone points it out.

Right, and I take this a little further by occasionally arguing that the tint is part of the experience. For example, snow in blue hour will look blue, and correcting it in post will take away the magic of the image. But the images that sparked this discussion didn't fall into that category.

ImplicitAssembler posted:

If you have a decent amount of variation in colours, using autocolour in photoshop will often show if you're totally off track.
I don't use the result, as it tends to be bland, but I use it to check that I'm not getting tinted.

I do use the corresponding tool in C1, but for some reason it can be comically off sometimes.

Anyway, thank you goons for calling out my poo poo colors. I have lots of ideas on how to improve.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Tortilla Maker posted:

Most definitely a Hail Mary request. She hasn't shot medium format and I think it's just something that piqued her interest. She's going to rent one after the Thanksgiving holiday to actually see if she likes the format.

That said, she also threw in a Mamiya RB67 as a budget option (lol) and an RZ67 as another for the dream list. Funny sibling.

copied this here from buy/sell:

did you get the answers you needed on your p67 quest? I assume the estate sale is done by now unfortunately.

I'd say that one you posted on ebay was very high but it was in real nice shape. Looks like you can probably get a body and a decent lens for $900, and the one that comes with your link is one of the cheaper lenses (it's a fantastic lens but it's just not adding to the camera's value that much), no grip accessory, etc. But it's in fantastic shape.

Most repairs come out to a couple hundred bucks from http://pentaxs.com - he's the pentax guru and he's very affordable. So consider the risk an untested estate sale camera might need $200 of repairs or something.

Without seeing pictures or knowing anything more, or anything about the lens or the condition or anything, just "it says Pentax 6x7 and lens on my inventory list", and based on what I'm seeing on ebay, $500 would have been a very fair bid all around, maybe $400 (could be beat to poo poo and broken or full of fungus or whatever). If you could see it had the mirror lockup switch and was in good shape and/or had a desirable lens, maybe $700. If you can't examine it, the expected value is lower than even the most eager "mint a++" ebay estimator, because there's no return policy/etc.

On ebay, consider both bundles and body + lens separately. You never know. But generally don't feel coerced into buying an overpriced body with a cheap lens, sellers do put some of the cheaper lenses like 75/4.5 (it's a great lens! just doesn't add much to the value of the body!) or the 55/3.5 into bundles to try and move them, so look at it both ways, separately or in a kit. When buying a body do try to get all the accessories (prism, grip if you want it, etc) in one go, piecing together the body usually doesn't math out, but buying the lens separately often does.

If you know what focal lengths or types of subjects she likes to shoot, we can let you know what lenses to look for (basically divide by 2x to get "full frame/35mm equivalent" focal lengths, if she loves her 85mm then look for a 165mm, etc). 75mm f/4.5, 90mm f/2.8, and 105/2.4 are all very nice "do everything" normal/slight-wide and the 165/2.8 and 200/4 late are all very nice for portraiture. With the way prices on some of the lenses have spiked, the 75mm f/4.5, 200/4 late, and 55/4 late are all very cheap for their performance nowadays. The 105/2.4 and 90/2.8 are great but they're just way too expensive for a normal lens, prices have spiked a ton over the last decade.

it sounded like she took one out, what did she think? the P67 and the RB/RZ67 are both great systems but they're also completely different. It would help to know what kinds of stuff she likes to shoot as well, there's some decent value options for rangefinders (Fuji GW690 series), TLRs, SLRs (hasselblad), and folders (ikonta/super ikonta, Moskva, GS645, etc) as well. And the P67 certainly is not a system without its drawbacks even as someone for whom it's been one of my favorite cameras. She should be sure to consider the options, GW690 or GSW690 or Rolleiflex or RB/RZ67 are better options for a lot of people at the price brackets P67s fetch nowadays.

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre

Paul MaudDib posted:

copied this here from buy/sell:

did you get the answers you needed on your p67 quest?

Hey, thanks for flagging this. The estate sales were a bit of a bust--online auction format without the opportunity to inspect the cameras or lenses (also found an RZ67 in a different sale) before placing bids. I would have taken a gamble on one of them but the prices for both lots skyrocketed considering you didn't really know what you'd be buying and at those prices the eBay route would have made more sense.

She's in Austin and hasn't come across any local places that offer film cameras for rent. I was thinking of going with FilmObjektiv so that she could try the format out.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I had my p67 in my car in a big beefy padded backpack camera case and had to come to a pretty fast stop on the interstate and it slid forward and down into my floorboard in the back seat of my car.

I’d just gotten it back from a mostly prophylactic CLA from LeZot camera repair in Vermont and was going to shoot some test shots on e100 in the sun to make sure the high shutter speeds were clean across the frame (It had developed just a slight drag at 1/1000 with maybe 1/3rd stop underexposing on the very edge).

Went ahead and shot the test roll and it was pretty badly underexposed on the edge now, more like 3/4 stop. Ugh. I don’t know if LeZot screwed me or if it was the slide+bump in my car. Now I’m stuck deciding if I am going to send it back to them and shell out another $400 or what. This kit was my baby. It’s got a set of lenses from 45 to 200mm including the latest version of the 90/2.8 which I’ve loved dearly.

Anyway after I eventually do drop the $$ on getting the shutter back into perfect order (there’s no way I’m going to leave it in this state… just need to figure out the best course of action, ie how I’ll approach it, with LeZot or not) I’m not sure if I’ll keep it. It will probably make more sense financially to sell it. If there’s someone else in the Austin area who wants it and would make good use of it I’d be open to selling. It’ll probably be February or March before I get this shutter issue resolved, and that’s probably being overly optimistic.

In the meantime I’ve got a baby crown graphic with 6x7 and 6x9 backs, an old wollensak 90/4.5 and a multicoated fuji 105/5.6. Currently playing the kalart RF calibration game for the Fuji lens. Fortunately the smaller aperture will give me some leeway. The ground glass is pretty dark with the Fuji so I’ll really want to go with the VF/RF for framing and focus unless I need to use movements.

Anyone here with baby crown or century graphic experience? The original lenses from its era of manufacture are probably not super well suited for color photography, but there is a whole world of small press camera lenses and even some pretty cool rehoused optics that appear on eBay from time to time that will fit into it.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Dec 16, 2021

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:
Was it underexposing on the edge on all frames? I know what you mean about the 1/1000 drag, I've seen that happen on a handful of shots but it's pretty rare. I mean at $400 isn't that just the price of another 67 body?

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I had my p67 in my car in a big beefy padded backpack camera case and had to come to a pretty fast stop on the interstate and it slid forward and down into my floorboard in the back seat of my car.

That exact scenario was what broke my Speed Graphic (except it wasn't in a case, and was open due to not wanting to put the Aero Ektar away between stops). Lesson learned :smith:

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Anyone here with baby crown or century graphic experience? The original lenses from its era of manufacture are probably not super well suited for color photography, but there is a whole world of small press camera lenses and even some pretty cool rehoused optics that appear on eBay from time to time that will fit into it.

I think the Kalart RF is the same across the different sizes (the proportion of RF size to body size is a good way to ID a Speed or Crown Graphic in a listing). It works quite well when dialed in; I could shoot wide open with the aforementioned Aero Ektar no dramas. The annoying thing of course is that swapping out lenses means having to recalibrate the RF again, so you'll want to find one and stick with it.

Can't offer much insight but there'd be plenty of lenses with shutters you could use. A shame it's not a baby Speed graphic; the vintage Petzvals used for 1/6 plate portraits and such are far cheaper than anything that will cover 4x5+.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Has there been an effort post in this thread that discusses developing your own film? If I were interested in an automated system (for consistent temperatures -> results, but also I can't set up a darkroom at home) for BW and C41, what options are out there, and what are their trade-offs?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

That usually takes place in this thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2864270&pagenumber=510#lastpost

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Excellent, thanks.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Tortilla Maker posted:

Hey, thanks for flagging this. The estate sales were a bit of a bust--online auction format without the opportunity to inspect the cameras or lenses (also found an RZ67 in a different sale) before placing bids. I would have taken a gamble on one of them but the prices for both lots skyrocketed considering you didn't really know what you'd be buying and at those prices the eBay route would have made more sense.

She's in Austin and hasn't come across any local places that offer film cameras for rent. I was thinking of going with FilmObjektiv so that she could try the format out.

in my experience that's actually not uncommon, "off-ebay" auction sites very frequently end up going for way more than they should considering poor quality pictures/no seller expertise on the equipment/no return policy/etc. I've seen the same thing with ShopGoodwill (dunno if that's still a thing) back in the day where things would go for more than ebay pricing, with "2007 flip phone camera quality" photographs and sellers with no knowledge to test it and no returns.... people get nuts on external sites thinking they're getting a deal.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jan 16, 2022

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.
I came across the Fuji medium format digital cameras (e.g. Fuji GFX 50R). Anyone have hands on experience with those that can comment on how they handle?

I’m pretty familiar with the X100/XPro-3 form factor and how they compare. I have been curious about digital medium format lately.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Its good. I haven’t used any other fuji cameras so i don’t know how that compares.

The image quality is unbelievably good, eventhe cheapest fuji lens is incredible.

Its not a super fast camera and the handling has some issues but overall i like it.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I don't have any comment on the GFX specifically, but fuji glass is extremely underappreciated in general, the company has always sucked at marketing especially outside japan, but their glass is really excellent. And they have been knocking it out of the park lately with the UX on their cameras as well.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jan 25, 2022

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Paul MaudDib posted:

I don't have any comment on the GFX specifically, but fuji glass is extremely underappreciated in general, the company has always sucked at marketing especially outside japan, but their glass is really excellent. And they have been knocking it out of the park lately with the UX on their cameras as well.

Definitely agree. The thing that got my attention with Fuji when I was getting back into photography is that they make telephoto lenses for satellites and poo poo. Generally, if you’re producing industrial grade pro glass, it’s worth looking at what else is going on.

My film stuff is all 50-70’s Leica and I’d say the Fuji stuff all comes close if not exceeds the Leica gear.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

The closest comparison i have js the fuji 50 gfx lens (their cheapest lens) vs the hasselblad carl zeiss 50mm f4 cf fle etc (basically the top one) and the fuji just wipes the floor with the zeiss. Its not even a close comparison. The corners are sharper than the center.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Another happy Fuji owner here. Even handheld, my GW690II is sometimes sharper than my RZ67 when using MLU.

Decever
Dec 26, 2015
Hi all, new here, I have a question that I thought maybe you could help with! I have a 500C/M I've been looking into getting a 45° prism finder for.
Since my meagre earnings do not allow me to purchase the PM5s I've been seeing online I've been looking at alternatives.

So far my two options are : a hasselblad 45° metered one with the meter out of order or a kiev prism finder.
Has anyone got any opinion on the question? Thanks!

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

I think the nc2 is also an option - its optically okay but its also bit and heavy. They shouldn’t be too expensive either.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

i have the kiev one that i never used i can sell it to you for a good price.
i can take pics of it later today if you want.

Decever
Dec 26, 2015

Wild EEPROM posted:

I think the nc2 is also an option - its optically okay but its also bit and heavy. They shouldn’t be too expensive either.

I had not considered this one, I'll look into it thanks!

bobmarleysghost posted:

i have the kiev one that i never used i can sell it to you for a good price.
i can take pics of it later today if you want.

Thanks but I haven't made my mind up so there's no need for pictures right away, I'll definitely see about contacting you though if I settle for the kiev!

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

sounds good

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

From a test roll with a new Makina 670 (HP5 pushed to 800):

First impressions of the camera: it's surprisingly heavy, I'm super paranoid about touching the bellows, handling is awkward, and it slows me down even more. It's very slim when folded up. Unlike the Mamiya 6 which I just instantly connected to, this definitely has more of a learning curve but so far I'm quite happy with the results. And even though I got very used to shooting 6x6 last year, there's no denying that a wider format is easier to frame with.

Cacator fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 6, 2022

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Feb 20, 2022

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Wouldn't have wanted to be standing beside it when this happened. Cool photos.

birds
Jun 28, 2008

my 907x just failed and fell apart twice today. lens fell face first and surprisingly isn’t shattered but the autofocus seems hosed.

put it back together and then it happened again, this time the sensor fell face first into the dirt. it’s hasselblad so it makes me think it was something I did by maybe not attaching it correctly this time but idk. gonna get an x1d now.

my poor baby

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

victor doesn't make them like he used to :baduk:

larper
Apr 9, 2019

Good stuff, I've always been attracted to this kind of architectural kludge.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Higher in contrast than I would prefer, likely because I developed them myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

larper posted:

Good stuff, I've always been attracted to this kind of architectural kludge.

Thanks! I used the word "fragments" in my portfolio to describe shots like this but I might have to steal kludge, it's much more fun to say.