Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

MA-Horus posted:

schools will re-open. The Coward Douglas Ford is far too bitchmade to do something effective.

The plan will be for schools to re-open until 5:30 PM the Friday before kids come back (and probably after Stephen Lecce insists that under no circumstances will schools ever close).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Another Bill posted:

In August, they (David Fisman specifically but other members of the Ontario covid science round table too) were saying Delta would make sure 100% of people would be vaccinated or infected by Christmas. I'm taking the Omicron warnings with a grain of salt...

That said, I'm not convinced right now that schools will reopen in Ontario following the winter break.

Enough people are saying it that I think there's a decent chance the kids are out of school more than 2 weeks yeah.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Jordan7hm posted:

I think a lot of those people are backing away from that attitude as case numbers climb back up. I played poker a few weeks ago with friends. We’re all vaxxed but we weren’t masked. I won’t do that again until numbers are back down.

Like I’m doing Christmas this year, but the caveat is everyone needs to do a test the day before, in addition to everyone being 2-3 shot vaxxed.

People are tired after 2 years of doing mostly the right things and want to figure out how to, if not get back to normal, at least see friends and family again in person. That might mean going back to outdoor gatherings, or masked events, or more rapid tests.

Yeah I think this matches with more and more people I know. Like we have our antivax/right wing idiots here but on the whole people did the right thing. We stayed inside for 6 months, didn't see family or friends, gave up social activities and events, lined up to get the vaccine as soon as humanly possible. And now we're looking at another spike in cases with another variant. More shots are one thing, or asking people to wear masks or reduce the numbers of gatherings, but asking people to not see their family or friends at all for six months every year is another. People are going to want to find a way to still see people safely in the 5-6 months it's too loving cold to do poo poo outside all the time.

It would be real great if we had the same availability of rapid tests as the UK and I could just order a box of seven for free every day if I wanted. Just test constantly before any small gathering or seeing family. Or hell just do it every 48 hours to be safe.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Dec 14, 2021

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Yeah I think this matches with more and more people I know. Like we have our antivax/right wing idiots here but on the whole people did the right thing. We stayed inside for 6 months, didn't see family or friends, gave up social activities and events, lined up to get the vaccine as soon as humanly possible. And now we're looking at another spike in cases with another variant. More shots are one thing but asking people to not see their family or friends for six months every year is another. People are going to want to find a way to still see people safely in the 5-6 months it's too loving cold to do poo poo outside all the time.

It would be real great if we had the same availability of rapid tests as the UK and I could just order a box of seven for free every day if I wanted. Just test constantly before any small gathering or seeing family. Or hell just do it every 48 hours to be safe.

Some provinces give tests away in stores.

Both Alberta and Ontario are sitting on a dragons stash of unused rapid tests and federal covid relief dollars.

It wouldn’t surprise me if Kenney handed off Alberta’s supply to rapid test and trace to sell in other markets.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
The reason we can't have nice things is because we're too stupid to admit that the virus is airborne and could, in fact, be quite easily mitigated with ventilation, filtering, and regular testing in addition to high-quality masks used properly and consistently.

It's not magic, and we don't need to hole up like hermits for six months. But god forbid we do anything beyond emphasizing personal responsibility at each individual's personal cost.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Powershift posted:

Both Alberta and Ontario are sitting on a dragons stash of unused rapid tests and federal covid relief dollars.

It wouldn’t surprise me if Kenney handed off Alberta’s supply to rapid test and trace to sell in other markets.

Well yes and no. One issue is the type of tests the Feds/provinces bought:

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/symptoms/testing/increased-supply.html

The vast majority are the Abbot Panbio ones. Great tests, but the worst of the bunch for individual distribution. You can't just distribute a test with them, or five. They can only really be sent out in packs of 25 because the buffer solution comes in a single bottle that you have to measure out between the 25 tests in the box at the time of testing. Not a problem for a managed testing program on-site in a workplace but home use is much trickier by comparison.

The BD Veritor and BTNX ones come more individually packaged and seem much more suited but there's far less of them as of now.

Either way the overall number bought is still woefully insufficient. Having one or two tests isn't really useful. Having a constant supply like in the UK, so you can test before any gathering or just every couple days if you want should have been/should be the goal.

Like this is the UK's program:

https://www.gov.uk/order-coronavirus-rapid-lateral-flow-tests

Besides being able to just pick up 14 at a time from a pharmacy or library, you can order a pack of seven tests to be mailed to you once a day every day for free.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Dec 14, 2021

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

PT6A posted:

The reason we can't have nice things is because we're too stupid to admit that the virus is airborne and could, in fact, be quite easily mitigated with ventilation, filtering, and regular testing in addition to high-quality masks used properly and consistently.

It's not magic, and we don't need to hole up like hermits for six months. But god forbid we do anything beyond emphasizing personal responsibility at each individual's personal cost.

Basically this.

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009

PT6A posted:

The thing that gets me on this is that it's now pretty clear that western medicine made a catastrophic error over almost the whole past century with regards to airborne spread. Even ignoring covid completely, it seems like there could be potentially massive benefits with widespread improvement to ventilation and filtering.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Powershift posted:

Nova Scotia started giving them away at libraries today. And has been giving them away at various other places for months now. It's entirely doable if someone decides to get it done.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Well yes and no. One issue is the type of tests the Feds/provinces bought:

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/symptoms/testing/increased-supply.html

The vast majority are the Abbot Panbio ones. Great tests, but the worst of the bunch for individual distribution. You can't just distribute a test with them, or five. They can only really be sent out in packs of 25 because the buffer solution comes in a single bottle that you have to measure out between the 25 tests in the box at the time of testing. Not a problem for a managed testing program on-site in a workplace but home use is much trickier by comparison.

I'm sorry, I know you're just trying to be informative but this is a bullshit excuse. Nova Scotia has been assembling volunteers to measure out the buffer solution into sealed vials and bagging them up in batches of 1 and 5 for months.

I'm as shocked as anyone that Nova Scotia figured something out, but if anything that's just further proof that everyone else is tripping on a real low bar.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

And if you're a human being in Alberta you can go gently caress yourself. But if you're a small or medium business, the Calgary Chamber of Commerce will happily give you as many rapid tests as you want! (In batches of 25. Hmm, suspicious. Somehow I bet they didn't pay much to obtain those.)

It's like the saying about having money makes you more of who you are. Having a covid pandemic makes your government more of who they are.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
We got 5 tests from school for each of our kids in Ontario yesterday, which is something. Still completely criminal that they're not available anywhere else unless you want to spend $40 at shoppers for them to test you, and not available for personal use literally anywhere unless you scout out obscure websites.

Apparently Ontario was bragging about how they distributed 100% of their tests (no word on usage, which means almost definitely they're collecting dust on some big companies shelf somewhere and not anywhere where normal people can make use of them.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

pokeyman posted:

I'm sorry, I know you're just trying to be informative but this is a bullshit excuse. Nova Scotia has been assembling volunteers to measure out the buffer solution into sealed vials and bagging them up in batches of 1 and 5 for months.

I'm as shocked as anyone that Nova Scotia figured something out, but if anything that's just further proof that everyone else is tripping on a real low bar.

Fair, I'm not as familiar with the Nova Scotia programs and wasn't aware of that. Do you have any links on the volunteer program? I can think of some people who'd be quite interested in that.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Dec 14, 2021

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

https://www.canadianshieldppe.ca/ has the tests for $50 (5 pack). Canadian made/ontario based/etc.

Annoyingly, the Ontario gov't is giving out the tests for free to businesses for their staff, but the business must report back on all outcomes so it's an administrative hell and they can't be handed out for personal use.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

We just ordered these which are a little more expensive at $60/5 tests. They all basically seem to be the same product which are the ones sent home with my kids yesterday.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Health Services posted:

The thing that gets me on this is that it's now pretty clear that western medicine made a catastrophic error over almost the whole past century with regards to airborne spread. Even ignoring covid completely, it seems like there could be potentially massive benefits with widespread improvement to ventilation and filtering.

Not quite true. It was always recognized. Why are old radiators in NYC so absurdly powerful? Because the standards were made so people could open their windows in winter during the 1918 flu pandemic!

But somewhere along the line we forgot what was, at one point, common sense.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

flashy_mcflash posted:

We just ordered these which are a little more expensive at $60/5 tests. They all basically seem to be the same product which are the ones sent home with my kids yesterday.

This is the company which had Jack Mintz on their board when he was appointed by Kenney to the AHS board.

Just before Kenney announced they were ending government testing during the Best Summer Ever, this company claimed they were preparing to set up their for profit drive thru testing centres around Alberta.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Powershift posted:

This is the company which had Jack Mintz on their board when he was appointed by Kenney to the AHS board.

Just before Kenney announced they were ending government testing during the Best Summer Ever, this company claimed they were preparing to set up their for profit drive thru testing centres around Alberta.

God, Kenney is just such a poo poo.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Jordan7hm posted:

Enough people are saying it that I think there's a decent chance the kids are out of school more than 2 weeks yeah.

The thing with school closures is that it gives THE ECONOMY a big hit and makes parents of younger kids have to stay home and that group of people are also a key and vocal demographic.

I'm not going to argue that schools shouldn't shutter for a while but I'd be really surprised to see Conservative governments allow the economy to take such a hit. It does track that Conservative governments are much more concerned about THE ECONOMY than morgue trucks.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

PT6A posted:

Fixing ventilation systems and protocol would be expensive, so we can't do that, obviously.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Powershift posted:

oh for fucks sake I hate this country

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Fixing ventilation systems and protocol would be expensive, so we can't do that, obviously.

We refuse to subsidize businesses by giving them business; instead, we'll subsidize them with direct money transfers.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

flashy_mcflash posted:

oh for fucks sake I hate this country

Thread title!

e: here is an article by the co-founder, a former Harper adviser, about how to fix the conservative party:

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/contributors/2020/01/27/here-are-the-transformative-policies-the-federal-conservatives-need-to-win.html

Lower taxes, a larger military, deficit reduction, and a minimum basic income. You know, earn less, spend more, balance the budget.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Dec 14, 2021

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

flashy_mcflash posted:

Same product/test kit maker (BTNX).

:lol: BTNX marketing department has a sense of humour. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHWq_T054bc

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Fair, I'm not as familiar with the Nova Scotia programs and wasn't aware of that. Do you have any links on the volunteer program? I can think of some people who'd be quite interested in that.

The (austere) landing page is at https://testtoprotect.ca and I imagine they'd answer questions at the link there. I think the volunteer program is headed by Dr. Lisa Barrett? I don't know of any news articles or write-ups about the program as a whole, I'll keep an eye out. I've only interacted with it as a volunteer, but if that's a useful perspective I'm happy to share. Initially it was all coordinated via shared Google Sheets, and through some miracle people managed to largely not screw that up.

I think NS's program may have inspired the Region of Waterloo's rapid testing program? (That's based on a hazily remembered twitter exchange that I can't find now, could be wrong.) They have a playbook at https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1rse09G4Ay-2b9GNBpNqxS_AhVeAjCbaG that looks familiar.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Powershift posted:

Thread title!

e: here is an article by the co-founder, a former Harper adviser, about how to fix the conservative party:

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/contributors/2020/01/27/here-are-the-transformative-policies-the-federal-conservatives-need-to-win.html

Lower taxes, a larger military, deficit reduction, and a minimum basic income. You know, earn less, spend more, balance the budget.

How at the same time?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Powershift posted:

Thread title!

let's play count the contradictions in one paragraph:

quote:

These include personal responsibility; freedom and equality; religious freedom; small, effective and open government; lower taxes and a simpler and fairer tax system; sound economic stewardship and deficit reduction; championing capitalism, entrepreneurship and collective prosperity; eliminating interprovincial trade barriers; encouraging natural resource development and pipelines; increased science, technology and R&D funding; environmental conservation and pollution reduction; developing a safe, economically viable alternative energy sector; reliable but not overindulgent social programs; support for gay marriage and abortion; focusing on family and community as the pillars of society; a robust military; a pro-immigration stance centred on legal, economic immigrants; crime prevention targeting organized crime and corruption; justice system reform and many more.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Raenir Salazar posted:

How at the same time?

:umberto:

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.
I'm looking for things in that paragraph that wouldn't be in a Liberal platform and I'm not seeing them.

I like this racist dog whistle:

quote:

a pro-immigration stance centred on legal, economic immigrants

because it describes the immigration system we already have.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Like the self described "Red Tory" Conservative I know whose politics exactly match the Liberal platform except he dislikes Trudeau for culture war reasons.

e: He's a big fan of Erin O'Toole

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 14, 2021

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Apparently packs of dozens of feral hogs are a genuine problem in many parts of Canada. Guess we have to loosen assault weapon restrictions.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

no evidence whatsoever but im willing to bet that BCs tests were all given to the film industry, they test like crazy.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

eXXon posted:

Apparently packs of dozens of feral hogs are a genuine problem in many parts of Canada. Guess we have to loosen assault weapon restrictions.

That is what I've always seen as a good use for an AR, apart from target shooting. Too small of a calibre for deer.
Quick follow up shots could be useful when there's a herd tearing up your garden, and they have a predilection for fighting, rather than fleeing when scared/angry.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

eXXon posted:

Yes, these are the particular ecological train wrecks we need to take action against in Canada.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Baronjutter posted:

I think there's a critical mass of people who think covid is over, or at least they're done caring or worrying about it. I'm not talking anti-vaxxers or conspiracy folks, just people who have their 2 or 3 jabs and are going back to normal after 2 years of this poo poo. They'll mostly mask up if told they have to, but otherwise expect to return to normal pre-covid life and are not willing to deal with any more lockdowns or canceled activities.

This is me. The government's ridiculous stance and forcing people to quarantine even if vaxxed and with multiple negative Covid tests of just too much. If you are telling someone vaccination and multiple negative tests aren't enough, then there is no longer a goal in sight. Covid is endemic so apparently we just go on forever with half assed measures that change week to week. At that point just come out and say the science is irrelevant and all we care about is hospital capacity and optics.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I believe according to some of the maps I've seen, Canada has already fallen to the invasion of feral hogs...

e: Found the map/meme:

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

eXXon posted:

No need to worry there’s only about 40-50 of them.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

I believe according to some of the maps I've seen, Canada has already fallen to the invasion of feral hogs...

e: Found the map/meme:

There is photographic evidence too

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

DrBox posted:

At that point just come out and say the science is irrelevant and all we care about is hospital capacity and optics.
Not in those exact words, but they pretty much have. Right from the start that's exactly what "flatten the curve" was, and a lot of reopening benchmarks have been pretty explicitly about hospital capacity and lot of vaccination messaging, especially that aimed at the vaccine hesitant, has been about preserving hospital capacity or doing the right thing for children or the elderly.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.

DrBox posted:

This is me. The government's ridiculous stance and forcing people to quarantine even if vaxxed and with multiple negative Covid tests of just too much. If you are telling someone vaccination and multiple negative tests aren't enough, then there is no longer a goal in sight.

This isn't actually true but keep raging about it I guess. If a traveller is too stupid to know about ArriveCAN then they deserve their quarantine as far as I'm concerned. It's not hard to do research in advance of travelling in the midst of a global pandemic - gotta get those hot dealz in the States though am i rite??

And yes, I'm aware that some people are travelling for less stupid reasons - they generally aren't the ones going to the US for less than 72 hours though.

ColdBlooded fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Dec 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

B33rChiller posted:

That is what I've always seen as a good use for an AR, apart from target shooting. Too small of a calibre for deer.
Quick follow up shots could be useful when there's a herd tearing up your garden, and they have a predilection for fighting, rather than fleeing when scared/angry.

Right now it's apparently a better idea to report sightings to your local conservation officer than to take a shot. Killing one or two here and there causes the rest of the group to spread out, breed more and get better at hiding, so organized eradication campaigns are going to be more effective if extermination is the goal and not putting wild bacon on the table.

https://www.manitobapork.com/swine-health/wild-pigs

Legalizing suppressors would probably be more effective for culling herds, and I imagine it would be much more politically tenable.