Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

That Spooky Witch posted:

pretty sure we're trying pretty drat hard

i've seen people saying "i want to die" while trying to overdose that aren't trying as hard as humans are at destroying any hope for a livable climate

I'm lolling rn at the thought of those eleven loving years of psychotic depression where I spent every single day wishing for a death that would never come.
But now where i have a happy (but old) dog to pet and meds to keep the psychosis at bay, life became good and ahahahaAHAHAAHAHAHAH!!!!

THE WORLD WILL BURN AND ITS GOING TO HAPPEN WHEN I'M loving LUCID AND I'M SO loving PISSED FUCKFUCKFUCK

Edit: I'm so loving tired of watching the world slowly but steadily spiral into oblivion.

Ssthalar has issued a correction as of 23:24 on Dec 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/YahooNews/status/1470884361557979139?s=20

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Ssthalar posted:

I'm lolling rn at the thought of those eleven loving years of psychotic depression where I spent every single day wishing for a death that would never come.
But now where i have a happy (but old) dog to pet and meds to keep the psychosis at bay, life became good and ahahahaAHAHAAHAHAHAH!!!!

THE WORLD WILL BURN AND ITS GOING TO HAPPEN WHEN I'M loving LUCID AND I'M SO loving PISSED FUCKFUCKFUCK

Edit: I'm so loving tired of watching the world slowly but steadily spiral into oblivion.

dang dude :chillout:

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Ssthalar posted:

It's a bit poo poo yeah.

I resolved my gender dysphoria this year and it had a huge impact on my mental wellbeing but then it's oops all horror show. The gender dysphoria was the fault of this garbage society in the first place lol lmao

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

gently caress ice, it's too cold

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Rectal Death Adept posted:

good news

https://twitter.com/S_Evangelina/status/1470884955148505088?s=20

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Its late and my meds have run out, I should sleep but I can't because who the gently caress knows, probably all the ffffffucking plastics.
Tomorrow will be another good and shining day where I can take my meds and pet my dog and ignore the woes of the world for a few hours.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Ssthalar posted:

Its late and my meds have run out, I should sleep but I can't because who the gently caress knows, probably all the ffffffucking plastics.
Tomorrow will be another good and shining day where I can take my meds and pet my dog and ignore the woes of the world for a few hours.

hell yeah :rznv: :smugdog:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Ssthalar posted:

counterpoint: you're lucky enough experiencing a literal once in an entire species lifespan event. a geological lifespan event even condensed to mere mortal generation. think of how many irish mud farmers gave birth and died for several hundreds of years without much happening.

it's honestly incredible, just insanely fascinating at so many levels. like you're inside the Sistine chapel and it's on fire, and sure the doors are locked, but hot drat the color of the flames as it ripples through the ceiling is incredible revealing all the Michelangelo layering

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
is it possible to release enough co2 that we actually all suffocate like in Interstellar, or would the accompanying temperature increases and complete destruction of all agriculture destroy human life way before we got there?\

Xaris posted:

it's honestly incredible, just insanely fascinating at so many levels. like you're inside the Sistine chapel and it's on fire, and sure the doors are locked, but hot drat the color of the flames as it ripples through the ceiling is incredible revealing all the Michelangelo layering

dmt exists too and tends to make me feel better about all this even if I only touch it once every two or three years. ants on a spaceship and all that.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Cabbages and Kings posted:

is it possible to release enough co2 that we actually all suffocate like in Interstellar, or would the accompanying temperature increases and complete destruction of all agriculture destroy human life way before we got there?\
the latter, by a huge margin. even if all of the earth's biomass and fossil fuels were burned up i don't think you'd even get close. it would take a lot.

but high co2 ppm does lead to impaired mental and physical ability. some of the studies on this have been questioned although i think there was a pretty new one that came out that confirmed it still has notable effects. indoors actual poor ventillated rooms with high co2 (which can get quite high, much higher than outside ambient) do lead to impairment.

you can even physically feel it at times in some very poor ventillated buildings where you just kinda go foggy and slightly drowsy and then head outside and start to feel better. although part of that is also just the physical act of moving your body getting outside helps a lot too.

edit: here's a recent paper evaluating past studies and drawing conclusions across them
https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/0143624418790129

Xaris has issued a correction as of 00:08 on Dec 15, 2021

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

dmt exists too and tends to make me feel better about all this even if I only touch it once every two or three years. ants on a spaceship and all that.
not realistically

hydrogen sulfide, however, has been considered a possible culprit behind at least one mass global extinction event.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/dec/14/bugs-across-globe-are-evolving-to-eat-plastic-study-finds

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Evil_Greven posted:

not realistically

hydrogen sulfide, however, has been considered a possible culprit behind at least one mass global extinction event.

hypothetical fat man in a little room bean death

we are all the fat man in the little room now, check snopes

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

all the dust is filled with plastic nowadays. makes sense.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
we better get a vid of that icecap exploding imo

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

everybody likes oil

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Homeless Friend posted:

everybody likes oil

Biosphere Collapse: oil’s got what bugs crave

Ruggan has issued a correction as of 01:19 on Dec 15, 2021

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Ancient Water world be a fantastic dystopian brand

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

I mean that’s actually great news. If bugs can evolve to eat plastic, then maybe other things can too, like people! And maybe we will find some agricultural use for plastic eating bugs, like feeding them to our juiced cows!

Eventually we will need to keep throwing plastic away to save the ecosystem because it’ll be so dependent on it. In 50 years we’ll be distributing plastic waste to save the environment just like we plant trees today.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

If the Florida glacier breaks off then how fast do sea levels rise afterwards?

quote:

According to Ted Scambos, a glaciologist at the University of Colorado Boulder and a leader of the International Thwaites Glacier Collaboration, in a late 2021 interview from McMurdo Station, “Things are evolving really rapidly here. It’s daunting.”
:ok:

Pryor on Fire has issued a correction as of 00:26 on Dec 15, 2021

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Ruggan posted:

I mean that’s actually great news. If bugs can evolve to eat plastic, then maybe other things can too, like people! And maybe we will find some agricultural use for plastic eating bugs, like feeding them to our juiced cows!

Eventually we will need to keep throwing plastic away to save the ecosystem because it’ll be so dependent on it. In 50 years we’ll be distributing plastic waste to save the environment just like we plant trees today.

if you can turn what you’ve just written into a PowerPoint presentation, you could get a good grift going

https://twitter.com/bbcworldservice/status/1273278702932066306?s=20

https://twitter.com/dw_environment/status/1328348348177256451?s=20

https://twitter.com/SKellyCEO/status/1470408174939291653?s=20

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ssthalar posted:

i wish i was dead constantly
i started doing it as like a tick thing years ago as a cope to shock my mind out of ocd thoughts and havent been able to ever stop but otherwise i feel p good despite having wished i was dead like 45 times already today. glad you beat the habit!

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.

Ssthalar posted:

hey, remember this: some people never get their poo poo together

congratulations(...?)

Xaris posted:

counterpoint: you're lucky enough experiencing a literal once in an entire species lifespan event. a geological lifespan event even condensed to mere mortal generation. think of how many irish mud farmers gave birth and died for several hundreds of years without much happening.

:hmmyes:

and we invented computers and the internet just in time to be able to talk to each other about it :unsmith:

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Also it's never been easier to have gay sex without being a pariah, or expected to have heterosexual sex to make children anyway. Pretty sweet time to be alive even if these are the final days vefore a precipitous decline, imo

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXjHdJ9Oi9Q

pat the bunny posted:

I stick tape in the holes in my shoes
I stick my tongue in the holes in my teeth
I stick expletives in the holes in my thought process when I speak
My friends stick to their guns
they got a bunch in the woods of vermont 'till the end times come
but saturn, says he's gonna learn to live
as if the world wasn't gonna end and i admire his strength

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Ssthalar posted:

You sort of, kinda, in a weird roundabout way, have to admire just how thoroughly we're hosed.
Every stupid, shortsighted, greedy decision we've ever made is now doubling back and ramming itself up our collective asses at the same time.

But think of all the things we've accomplished!

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

This is what you get when you let the chimps have fire

Stupid Prometheus

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Rectal Death Adept posted:

This is a huge plus for pathetic conservatives who make a lot of noise about "hating the cold"

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Mr. Lobe posted:

This is what you get when you let the chimps have fire

Stupid Prometheus

He was a known trickster, not hero!

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
lol

lmao

And, as has been known for centuries, the Arctic Circle is a line starting at 66.6°N

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

2022 is going to be a very special year :lmao:

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Alobar posted:

hey, remember this: some people never get their poo poo together

congratulations(...?)

:hmmyes:

and we invented computers and the internet just in time to be able to talk to each other about it :unsmith:

computers are a major contributing accelerator, imo

not that we wouldn’t have destroyed the world anyway, but computers allow us to do it at unprecedented efficiency and scale

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

biosphere collapse: life is short [extremely prolonged and dramatic wink]

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
I like to think our computers are training us to behave more like them. Wiring us to count as far and fast as possible until we have no energy left to keep counting.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

I like to think our computers are training us to behave more like them. Wiring us to count as far and fast as possible until we have no energy left to keep counting.

bankers and money changers have existed for a long time

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Ruggan posted:

computers are a major contributing accelerator, imo

not that we wouldn’t have destroyed the world anyway, but computers allow us to do it at unprecedented efficiency and scale

any counterargument I've come up with to this so far is instantly foiled by the one-word response "crypto" :smith:

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,

any counterargument I've come up with to this so far is instantly foiled by the one-word response "crypto" :smith:

crypto only works because of the internet though

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
do the food bugs have plastic in them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
i should have let the unread posts count for this thread stay where it was