Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Captain Walker posted:

Quick, you have ten minutes to make a character concept for a fantasy RPG. Where do you go to find a portrait? Is there a repository people around here use?

If I only had ten minutes, I'd have to cut something from the normal process and picking a picture for my character would be the first thing to get the chop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I often steal gacha game pictures for my character concepts.

Gotta be careful not to pick the horrible horny ones.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Whybird posted:

If I only had ten minutes, I'd have to cut something from the normal process and picking a picture for my character would be the first thing to get the chop.
What I'd really do is probably cut the whole process and pull out one of my past unfulfilled character ideas for which I already have a portrait.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
A follow up to Lair of the Lamb discussion from a couple pages ago: Arnold decided he wanted to work on some revisions and asked for feedback. I brought up the piss rooms and said they were a bit offputting.

His response was to go “yep that sounds like something I’d do”, jokingly link the Kc green comic (as in “I get why people would worry” NOT “yes it was my magical realm”) and said he’d look at replacing the piss in particular in revisions

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Nemo2342 posted:

I’d look for a portrait pack for a CRPG like Kingmaker or Baldur’s Gate.

Neat, that helps.

For context, I'm mostly looking for NPC designs since I am the Forever GM of my group. My character creation process usually starts with class/playbook/archetype and evolves depending on the kind of picture I find.

Plutonis posted:

Gelbooru :getin:

MonsieurChoc posted:

gacha game pictures

My players don't need to know where I got the city of Coldreach or the Pale Convocation of reclusive wizard assholes that run it tyvm

Edit: but at least they didn't come from a game with piss rooms

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Dec 14, 2021

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

If you have Baldur's Gate 3, just messing with the character creator and taking a screenshot + cropping it works super well too

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Arivia posted:

A follow up to Lair of the Lamb discussion from a couple pages ago: Arnold decided he wanted to work on some revisions and asked for feedback. I brought up the piss rooms and said they were a bit offputting.

His response was to go “yep that sounds like something I’d do”, jokingly link the Kc green comic (as in “I get why people would worry” NOT “yes it was my magical realm”) and said he’d look at replacing the piss in particular in revisions

Well that’s good to hear. It really should be the baseline for creators to take some amount of feedback from their audience and at least reflect on why they made the decisions they did, but that seems all too rare.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Arivia posted:

I enjoyed the way users in this thread, on seeing something that disgusted them, immediately assumed it was included in the module for sex.

I can only imagine how they feel when a garbage truck drives by.

"There goes that horrible trash pervert... Probably having sex with those bags..."

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Yes, that’s exactly what I said and intended.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

mellonbread posted:

I enjoyed the way users in this thread, on seeing something that disgusted them, immediately assumed it was included in the module for sex.

I can only imagine how they feel when a garbage truck drives by.

"There goes that horrible trash pervert... Probably having sex with those bags..."

This analogy works better if it's someone actively producing trash and selling it to people

"Yes, here I have for sale a replica of Michelangelo's David, rendered out of banana peels and used diapers. Why yes, I'm perfectly normal, why do you ask? :confused:"

e; And to be clear, I'm not even trying to equate their rpg writings with garbage in a critical sense, that's just the metaphor I'm working with here.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Trash Humpers: The Roleplaying Game

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Asterite34 posted:

e; And to be clear, I'm not even trying to equate their rpg writings with garbage in a critical sense, that's just the metaphor I'm working with here.
I don't think anyone's gonna come up with Michelangelo's David in this context either tbh

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

mellonbread posted:

That is not a fair characterization of what happened, and I think this sentence is trying to imply that well actually it was the thread posters who are too focused on fetishes, perhaps they indeed are the ones who need to check themselves, how curious etc., and that's bullshit.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Halloween Jack posted:

Trash Humpers: The Roleplaying Game

ah, hôl?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

That is not a fair characterization of what happened, and I think this sentence is trying to imply that well actually it was the thread posters who are too focused on fetishes, perhaps they indeed are the ones who need to check themselves, how curious etc., and that's bullshit.

I think it’s a pretty fair characterization. A lot of people jumped to questioning if Arnold had a piss fetish and even me going “it’s free online go look for yourself” was met with revulsion. It took you stepping in and talking people down for the discussion to change.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Asterite34 posted:

This analogy works better if it's someone actively producing trash and selling it to people
It also works better if people were assuming the piss was a weird fetish thing. If it was a completely different analogy and being applied to a completely different situation it would be pretty good though!

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I'm just...I'm trying to imagine the context in which I want to pretend to stomp around in piss and fight piss monks and drink piss with my friends. It's cool, it's not sexual! Just some non-sexual piss! It's totally not weird unless you make it weird, pervert!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Pee is stored in the beholders

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Pee is stored in the beholders

Not since the new errata it ain’t!

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
To be fair, I think that that's not necessarily an unusual reaction to the sort of scenario described. Like, even given the context of the scenario that's been provided, I'd be leery about running that room for my own players given both the general reaction to piss-stuff and the relative infamy of the piss wizard comic in the tabletop fandom - From the sounds of things, I don't think the creator included it for sex reasons, but I also think changing it up in a later revision would be a good idea as it's likely to not be taken by a lot of players the way it would be intended by the creator.

Good to hear Arnold's a good sport regarding that sort of feedback on his work, though.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Arivia posted:

I think it’s a pretty fair characterization. A lot of people jumped to questioning if Arnold had a piss fetish and even me going “it’s free online go look for yourself” was met with revulsion. It took you stepping in and talking people down for the discussion to change.

Hi I’m the a lot of people and I didn’t say that nor was it my point.

I said it was lovely writing cause it’s a loving stupid thing to put in an adventure. If someone was getting off on it, at least it would have some purpose. Instead it’s shooting for the vaunted heights of making players roll their eyes at having the equivalent of having to clean a litter box invading their leisure time in the guise of edgy transgressive “art”.

It’s a child’s drawing putting on a Piss Christ costume to make me do a chore. It loving sucks.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

have you stopped and considered the profound impact the piss has on the lore?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

This thread has been great as someone who missed the start of whatever this all fuckin is. Where are the piss headwaters?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Arivia posted:

Not since the new errata it ain’t!

"Remember that the dungeon master has ultimate say as to what kind of magical realm exists at your table."

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Arivia posted:

The connection between <generically anything that they find disgusting> and <assumed it was about sex> is what I'm calling unfair. It wasn't just "well anything I find disgusting must be someone's sex fetish." It was "hey piss rooms and people bathing in piss and drinking piss, that sounds a lot like a piss fetish" and while it was unfair of people to criticize you for either choosing to run the adventure anyway, or for trying to properly set the context, it's also not really fair to point to the eyebrow-raisers in this sort of "well hmmm maybe it's *them* who are trying to make everything be about sex!" kind of backhanded way.

If it was a room about barefoot people, and you needed to rub their feet to get a magic bonus, and the foot monks go to the foot room to mush their feet in oil etc., it'd be 100% reasonable for people to say "woah hold up on the foot fetish crap" even though I think it's fair to say most people don't find a foot fetish "disgusting."

There are some very notorious fetishes, basically, and it would be weird to just pretend like none of us noticed the piss fetish angle because whoever notices it first, why, they must be the actual pervert, or gosh, don't be so disgusted by things, you sensitive nannies, etc. etc.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Xiahou Dun posted:

It’s a child’s drawing putting on a Piss Christ costume to make me do a chore. It loving sucks.

a typical player describing games I run, itt

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Coolness Averted posted:

a typical player describing games I run, itt

O poo poo now you found my fetish.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Man, there goes my Hellraiser campaign :(

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

My Lovely Horse posted:

Man, there goes my Hellraiser campaign :(

Elminster wept.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Has anyone played Vaesen: Nordic Horror Roleplaying? They just successfully kickstarted a Britain and Ireland book and both of them look very cool to me. What I'm curious about is mechanics. I ran Tales From the Loop earlier (same publisher, Free League) and while it was a huge hit, I also found it *extremely* forgiving to the point that only the final scenario in the final adventure in the book was ever in doubt. It also had a few "get your players to flesh things out" type features that my players in particular didn't really bite at. I'm curious to what extent Vaesen recreates/addresses/improves upon any of that.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I really love it. They divide physical and mental traits, with each having their own health pool. The kicker is, each point of damage is one dice away from all tests in that category (horror damage? You're too scared to remember something on the spot), meaning that by the end of an adventure, you're failing tests in stuff you're good at, and the monsters are regularly rolling 7+ dice pools, meaning players VERY quickly realize that direct approaches do not work. After hitting the max in health or horror, players roll on a d66 chart for long term physical or mental trauma. Most 50+ response can be lethal, but can also provide long term benefits if survived, so near death experiences provide clarity for later adventures. It's probably my favorite Free League game, and considering they're my favorite RPG publisher, that says a lot. Highly recommend the game if it even seems remotely interesting.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Has anyone played Vaesen: Nordic Horror Roleplaying? They just successfully kickstarted a Britain and Ireland book and both of them look very cool to me. What I'm curious about is mechanics. I ran Tales From the Loop earlier (same publisher, Free League) and while it was a huge hit, I also found it *extremely* forgiving to the point that only the final scenario in the final adventure in the book was ever in doubt. It also had a few "get your players to flesh things out" type features that my players in particular didn't really bite at. I'm curious to what extent Vaesen recreates/addresses/improves upon any of that.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3903473

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The book certainly looks good.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Instead of the pee room what about a bee room

Throw in some candyman impressions too

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.

FirstAidKite posted:

Instead of the pee room what about a bee room

Throw in some candyman impressions too

I wish Candyman's dialogue wasn't so creepy because it is so much fun to say in a bad impression of his voice.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
I'm finally unclenching here because I just hit the launch button on my Kickstarter.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1835460386/ariadne-and-bob

Ariadne and Bob is a 2+ player roleplaying game about a know-it-all and her trusty sidekick going on adventures and getting in trouble. Ariadne can be condescending at times, but her ego is not entirely undeserved. Bob is Ariadne's long-suffering partner. The Pinky to her Brain, Morty to her Rick, the Sherman to her Peabody, etc.

You should all go back this to support cool goons (and also a couple of folks who are not goons but are nevertheless cool) and get a really drat good game. We've been playing this a bunch and it's always hilarious.

Ferrinus is doing the art:

Vel Mini, Ettin, Austin Ramsay, and Jason Pitre are writing guest playsets. (So is Nick Butler of Tide Breaker, but I haven't got the details about what he'll be writing worked out, so I'll be adding his name to the KS in an update once I know.)

Countblanc designed a pair of Strike! classes that I'm throwing in as a freebie along with the game.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jimbozig posted:

I'm finally unclenching here because I just hit the launch button on my Kickstarter.

Backer #1! I am so into this.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Jimbozig posted:

Ariadne and Bob is a 2+ player roleplaying game about a know-it-all and her trusty sidekick going on adventures and getting in trouble. Ariadne can be condescending at times, but her ego is not entirely undeserved. Bob is Ariadne's long-suffering partner. The Pinky to her Brain, Morty to her Rick, the Sherman to her Peabody, etc.

You should all go back this to support cool goons (and also a couple of folks who are not goons but are nevertheless cool) and get a really drat good game. We've been playing this a bunch and it's always hilarious.

Ferrinus is doing the art:

Vel Mini, Ettin, Austin Ramsay, and Jason Pitre are writing guest playsets. (So is Nick Butler of Tide Breaker, but I haven't got the details about what he'll be writing worked out, so I'll be adding his name to the KS in an update once I know.)

Countblanc designed a pair of Strike! classes that I'm throwing in as a freebie along with the game.

I don't know what number backer I am, but I'll put your book on my shelf.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Jimbozig posted:

it's me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Hallucinogenic piss is a real thing