Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SennyYak
May 10, 2010
They posted about the new druid form, the swarmblade.

They also mentioned at the end that they're adding multiform support - the ability to switch directly from one form to another with additional benefits. Pretty neat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Today's update was about the crafting rework going live in two weeks and I'm really impressed by it - admittedly I was pretty happy with crafting already but by changing where the randomness is and what you can do with it, it really looks like an improvement in terms of how crafting feels to our broken human brains while still not making Absolutely Perfect Items actually easy to get.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Oh man, those chase items for crafting seem sick as hell too.

Kludge
Mar 25, 2016
I'm extremely hyped for December 10. I can't wait to try out the druid and crafting changes.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Dang, Multiplayer still a ways away it seems like :smith:

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
STILL NO RUNEMASTER

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It's disappointing that Last Epoch is about a year behind schedule, but game is still really good so it's okay.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
I'm the administrator of the Path of Exile goon server, and some of our people wanted a Last Epoch channel and well, why not. If you want to use the server as the Last Epoch server, that'd be cool.

I mean granted you're all already in the PoE discord if you want it, but here's the invite.

https://discord.gg/8ehWqhRh

If you want anything or new channels, just hit me up.

(game is good squirrel hat is my next build)

King Cocoa Butter
Mar 24, 2021

Don't be ashy.
It's definitely a bummer there's still no multiplayer. I imagine a bunch of people are like me and really enjoy this game, but can't really recommend it to friends until we can, like...play...together. The patch on the 10th looks awesome though and I'm super excited for the crafting changes - improvements on a system that I think is already pretty solid. A few months ago they added a fairly easy to use in-game loot filter that will let you target specific items/affixes, even the tiers of those affixes. Between that and a crafting system that lets you gather components and then cook up pretty much any combo of stats you want on an item, there's just a huge amount of QOL (for my taste) compared to PoE/D2R/GD. I just want to kill dudes and when something drops, I want it to be something with a reasonable chance of being useful!

It's really something. I don't actually have to look at a ton of garbage loot, I can filter to exactly the items I want. Using the in game UI!! There are a good number of little-but-not-really things like this in LE that I think will make this a real superstar game when it comes out. I optimistically say "when" because the game has seen a really nice pace of updates and content being added, so it's easy to believe that they really are just crossing T's and dotting I's for multiplayer, to make sure to get it as right as possible from the jump.

King Cocoa Butter fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Nov 30, 2021

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
The coolest thing about the new system is that so much more is useful, even. I have my loot filter set to show like T10+ items even for affixed I don't actually want so I have a decent collection of shards I'm not likely to use on a given character, but now with Chaos glyphs they all mean chances to reroll that affix and JUST that affix on items that would otherwise be useful - so even stuff you don't want can lead towards stuff you do want on a path that, while still needing luck, doesn't seem unattainable.

I'm playing POE this league for the first time in two years and it's mostly reminding me how much I wish this game had multiplayer and trade (mostly because I want chars I spend time on to at least have the OPTION for them, and current characters won't since they're locally stored) so I could jump wholeheartedly on this train, but I'm glad they're taking their time to get it right. Trade in particular always has the potential to undermine a loot system if done incorrectly.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Nov 30, 2021

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

With how items drop IDd I think they could have a fairly rough trade system and it would still work. As you can actually get stuff off the floor and use it, and can craft very good items without crazy amounts of effort.

But I'm interested to see what they do for trading.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I’ve just recently started playing this and it seems really good. Like you can definitely see the budget limitations here and there, but the gameplay is solid and the UI is probably the best of these games I’ve played?

Somehow each skill having its own skill tree is even more overwhelming than PoEs passive skill tree. It seems more flexible to try stuff out and respec at least.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Anno posted:

I’ve just recently started playing this and it seems really good. Like you can definitely see the budget limitations here and there, but the gameplay is solid and the UI is probably the best of these games I’ve played?

Somehow each skill having its own skill tree is even more overwhelming than PoEs passive skill tree. It seems more flexible to try stuff out and respec at least.

The way you have to look at it is that each skill is just its own thing and the trees exist to bend and shape that skill in a way that fits your build. Play with every skill and find out if it's fun, and if you like it, then you browse the tree and figure out how to plug it into everything else. Most skills are super adaptable and can convert between multiple elements, or swap from damage to utility, or go from a long cooldown burst move to a rapid use primary damage move, etc.

The hard part is figuring out which damage type you're going to stick with so you can allocate passives and pick up the right items. Fortunately the only permanent choice is your secondary class so with enough gold and a backup item set you can completely respec a character outside of that one choice.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Coming in .84: (partially) determinative krangling

https://forum.lastepoch.com/t/legendary-items-and-eternity-cache/45738/41

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Update is out now, its a huge update https://forum.lastepoch.com/t/eternal-legends-beta-0-8-4-patch-notes/45588

Drakonis
Dec 18, 2011

"That will go down among my worst boners."
New patch is incredibly fun, i'm having the time of my life with the druid mastery, werebear form is just incredible.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
There bear. There castle.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Drakonis posted:

New patch is incredibly fun, i'm having the time of my life with the druid mastery, werebear form is just incredible.

I'm loving this patch too. The changes to how everything looks are really nice. The sentinel I started just before the patch looks 10x better with all the graphics changes they made.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Crafting is also incredible now. It's way more satisfying and there's a lot more room for decision making.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Echoing that Werebear is stupid-fun. I really appreciate how easy they make it to get 100% uptime if you're either killing fast enough or fighting rares/bosses (and how the rage-on-kill becomes rage-on-hit against bosses), and how all of the forms have a "<skill> gains your mods from a non-form skill" so you can use skills you were already specialized in, like how Werebear can apply your leap slam mods to Maul and how Swarmblade can apply your Serpent Strike mods to one of its slashes (and also, removes the polearm/spear requirement from SS).

Kludge
Mar 25, 2016
I respeced my existing Druid to perma-werebear and like everyone else has been saying, it's a ton of fun. I took all the passives that proc upheaval and it's dealing so much damage.

I leveled up a fresh Druid focusing on perma cold Spriggan Form and that's been going great too. I just made it to monoliths and it absolutely melts bosses once you get all your vines and totems down. I think I prefer it over my necro for a minion build.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Damnit I was going to stay away from this until they added MP but this all sounds really cool!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

explosivo posted:

Damnit I was going to stay away from this until they added MP but this all sounds really cool!

I really would wait for multiplayer.

This game has one of the top "patch adds something really cool and/or shines up an unpolished game subsystem into something truly special" streaks I've ever seen. I play it very, very casually (have less than 20 hours total) but they got so many of the intangibles right that other games struggle with. It really feels like the game I thought I was getting with Diablo 3, and it's only getting better. I feel like this game is going to break big when they do multiplayer and that will be an excellent time to jump in (and IIRC they've already said that you won't be able to bring any existing progress into the game when multiplayer launches, so anything you do now is just feeling out the game before it gets even better). My god if this game launches on console with couch multiplayer they will have an absolute juggernaut.

edit: I guess what I'm saying is that if I thought the game was going to get worse before multi then I would say "sure get it now" but I truly think it's only going to get better and it's always fun to join a game with a big mob of new players and all learn stuff together.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 13, 2021

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Things definitely keep improving, but to me one of the biggest flaws is that maps are static. So every time you see X environment, it's actually the 100% exact same layout.

I know that it could be argued that randomly/procedural tiled maps aren't really that much different of an experience, but it sure feels that way to me. "Oh forest map, wonder what direction to go" versus "Oh forest map, boss is up and to the left".

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

I got into Last Epoch after reading a bunch of hype about it on SA, and I definitely agree that it has great potential. Played maybe 20 hours total, with the mage and the two most obvious minion classes, and almost made it to the end of chapter 3 with a primalist leaning on minions until he can pivot to werebear. The core gameplay loop is pretty fun, and the potential of those skill combos is very exciting. Kind of a shame they had to nerf the temporary ghost spawning skill that was making hundreds of minions, but I can appreciate that it might have been hard on multiplayer if someone wasn't using a high end computer. Really liked the way the ragdoll physics can have enemies getting thrown off cliffs or bridges.

At this point, my main issue is with the sound design. Most of the music, sound effects and voice acting feels like it's lacking a little bit of punch. I really loved the sound of the first two Diablo games, and so far I haven't had any area themes or combat barks that made me sit back and go WOAH. Hopefully they can kick it up a bit in future areas.

The mage was decent, as far as impactful-feeling skills. But if I close my eyes and summon a primalist totem, I don't really have any way of telling whether the cast went through. Wolves are also super-quiet. That howl button gives you more of a grunt. Fortunately, they're still releasing revamped models for early enemies. I don't think a glow-up on sound effects is entirely out of question in the future.

EDIT: I am a fan of static maps, but it kind of sucks that my in-game map resets every time I portal out and back. I have had to revisit areas a couple of times, would have been nice to be able to just pull up a map and beeline directly to the place I missed.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

avoraciopoctules posted:

I got into Last Epoch after reading a bunch of hype about it on SA, and I definitely agree that it has great potential. Played maybe 20 hours total, with the mage and the two most obvious minion classes, and almost made it to the end of chapter 3 with a primalist leaning on minions until he can pivot to werebear. The core gameplay loop is pretty fun, and the potential of those skill combos is very exciting. Kind of a shame they had to nerf the temporary ghost spawning skill that was making hundreds of minions, but I can appreciate that it might have been hard on multiplayer if someone wasn't using a high end computer. Really liked the way the ragdoll physics can have enemies getting thrown off cliffs or bridges.

At this point, my main issue is with the sound design. Most of the music, sound effects and voice acting feels like it's lacking a little bit of punch. I really loved the sound of the first two Diablo games, and so far I haven't had any area themes or combat barks that made me sit back and go WOAH. Hopefully they can kick it up a bit in future areas.

The mage was decent, as far as impactful-feeling skills. But if I close my eyes and summon a primalist totem, I don't really have any way of telling whether the cast went through. Wolves are also super-quiet. That howl button gives you more of a grunt. Fortunately, they're still releasing revamped models for early enemies. I don't think a glow-up on sound effects is entirely out of question in the future.

EDIT: I am a fan of static maps, but it kind of sucks that my in-game map resets every time I portal out and back. I have had to revisit areas a couple of times, would have been nice to be able to just pull up a map and beeline directly to the place I missed.

Interesting note on the sound because playing my ice mage I found that Glacier has the best CRONCH sound and I really love the ice cannon spell sound as it gains cast speed.

Playing a paladin void knight right now and I guess I haven't really cared about the sound effects much, but the feel of the skills is still great. Void cleave and erasing strike both have great heavy slam feel and combat is fun and fluid as a melee class.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

The fairest way I would describe the sound design is "inconsistent". There are some real peaks and valleys although I will say that the highest peak does not achieve the quite literal GOAT (the Goatman Death sound from Diablo 2).

The music, well, it's pleasant enough. It's not D1/D2 quality but then again, what is?

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

(and IIRC they've already said that you won't be able to bring any existing progress into the game when multiplayer launches, so anything you do now is just feeling out the game before it gets even better).

I just looked this up, apparently current characters will just be kept offline as single player characters. No deletions or wipes, but nobody's entering the marketplace with a million runes of ascension to flood the market.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
Which is a good plan since it's so easy to save edit your way to said millions of runes :)

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Magus42 posted:

Which is a good plan since it's so easy to save edit your way to said millions of runes :)

where
how

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Erulisse posted:

where
how

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\LocalLow\Eleventh Hour Games\Last Epoch\Saves has your save files; crafting mats are stored in Epoch_Local_Global_Data_Beta

Save files are JSON with "EPOCH" stuck in front of the data; you can see a savedShards key that contains a list of entries like {"shardType":3,"quantity":149} - raise that quantity number and voila, tons of extra shards :)

Runes might be under materialsList instead which has slightly different formatting but still has quantity for each.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Magus42 posted:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\LocalLow\Eleventh Hour Games\Last Epoch\Saves has your save files; crafting mats are stored in Epoch_Local_Global_Data_Beta

Save files are JSON with "EPOCH" stuck in front of the data; you can see a savedShards key that contains a list of entries like {"shardType":3,"quantity":149} - raise that quantity number and voila, tons of extra shards :)

Runes might be under materialsList instead which has slightly different formatting but still has quantity for each.

Storing save files in JSON format in YooL 2021, how refreshing.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Vulpes posted:

Storing save files in JSON format in YooL 2021, how refreshing.

Unironically love it, embrace offline single player cheating because you ain't gonna stop it and you've already got their money and it hurts nobody.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Hi thread I just bought this game last week and I cannot put it down holy poo poo it's so good. Every single class is so fun. I have a question -

What exactly is the difference between "Scaling Tags" and "Minion Tags"? Is this saying my Wolves do more damage off any Minion, Companion or Strength stat only? And that they do Physical and Melee damage?

So like +Physical Damage on an item won't effect them, but +Minion Physical will right? I mean that makes sense. For everything this game does better than its competitors it's unfortunately still really hard to figure out Pet DPS.

e; Oh I just found a Hollow Finger unique ring with +Melee Necrotic damage. Will my doggos now deal a little Necro damage, or not because they only have the Physical/Melee tags?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I'm no expert but this is the way it works:

The scaling tags tell you what keywords on items apply to that ability. So if it says "Minion Health +whatever" you know it will apply to the wolves because they have Minion tags.
The minion tags tell you what specific minion abilities apply to the them. So if you see "Minion Cast Speed +whatever" you know that doesn't work with them because they don't have that, they are a physical melee minion. They do damage physical and melee. But for example, Skeleton Mages are Minion Type Spell and Necrotic so you know Attack Speed doesn't work for them and getting a "+whatever Minion physical damage" wouldn't do squat for them (which is actually not true, you can actually build around Skeleton Mages blowing up your own minions with a spell called Sacrifice that does Physical damage but that's a story for another day).

Regarding the ring, does it say +Minion Necrotic or just Necrotic? It has to say "Minion" to work on your minions.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Woops, left that part off - yes it explicitly says Minion Necrotic Damage. But since the wolves are Physical I wasn't sure if they'd get it.

Loving the Primalist class, I want to make like 4 of them to explore Beast Master with & without the "Single Companion Only" and a pack of doggos,and Druid's Werebear and Spriggan poo poo without spending a million gold in respecs.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Yeah so if something says +Whatever Lighting/Void/Poison/etc damage then yes, no matter what the attack is currently doing, it will get that damage added to it. It doesn't overwrite anything, it just gets tossed into the mix. It's possible to do a bunch of different damages on an attack, which is hard to itemize and skill for but there's some stuff out there that specifically exists to help with it.

At higher levels though, base damage just isn't going to cut it and you're also going to need the +% modifiers. That's how you really take it over the top in some builds - a great base damage number that's jacked to high heaven through percentages and criticals.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Also I really hope they rework Crit Avoidance to just reduce enemy crit damage scaling because right now you either get it to 100% or you occasionally just fall over dead.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea, I kind of assumed that were the case but since my only way to "read" damage is to A-click a Target Dummy it's impossible to tell. Especially since I have all my minions biting the stupid dummy cluttering up my damage numbers. As an aside, I can't decide if I want to go with 4 Dogs & 1 Raptor, or just go all-in on 5 pups :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Ask yourself: do I want the clever girl? Of course you do. ;)