Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Probably Magic posted:

Would you say that you will take serious only media establishments that counter what Greyzone says because they confirm your own worldview? This whole, "Everyone has a static, unreflective viewpoint except for me," is very tedious and very quick to refute. Again, I want specific names of what an accurate conveyor of information would be instead of inferences of some hypothetical, unnamed one. If you're afraid of providing one because you wisely know that any source of information can be criticized based on some criteria or another, well, then, maybe stop hammering that point.

There's no such thing as a 100% accurate purveyor of information. Even a video camera can lie or mislead, and human beings can't help but interpret and rephrase information as they relay it. Moreover, the base information that's being related often has accuracy and bias issues before a reporter ever hears it.

As I said before, there are entire sub-fields of academia dedicated to these kinds of questions. No matter how many time you ask for a list of outlets that are categorically beyond criticism in any and all cases, you're gonna be disappointed because that is, frankly, a ridiculous request.

This doesn't mean that all outlets are equally bad and we can just believe whatever the hell we want without a care, though! As much as possible, it's important to dig as close to the original sourcing as possible, keeping in mind the original's own potential biases as well as the potential biases of everyone the story passes through on the way to your eyes. As much as possible, it's important to remember nuance, resist hyperbole, and remember to especially distrust outlets that say exactly what you want to hear - when something fits a narrative too well, it's often propaganda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
If you have only negative examples of what you're talking about and then can't really provide positive examples, that comes across more as just using a supposedly academic thread to poo poo on people's sources who you don't like because you are, well, never putting your own sources under the microscope.

Like, a guy can't wait to refer to his own OP, and then can't name a single source on demand for where he's getting his OP from. At no point is there a works cited in that multiple-post OP. I can't imagine in college listing in the bibliography, "Probably Magic, stuff I read in the library, check out my rental history if you want to know what I was talking about."

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Probably Magic posted:

If you have only negative examples of what you're talking about and then can't really provide positive examples, that comes across more as just using a supposedly academic thread to poo poo on people's sources who you don't like because you are, well, never putting your own sources under the microscope.

Like, a guy can't wait to refer to his own OP, and then can't name a single source on demand for where he's getting his OP from. At no point is there a works cited in that multiple-post OP. I can't imagine in college listing in the bibliography, "Probably Magic, stuff I read in the library, check out my rental history if you want to know what I was talking about."

Discendo Vox posted:

I've repeatedly cited sources in the individual effortposts. That said, while setting up the OP materials, this was a list I made at one point of the books I was working from. This isn't exhaustive; I know I have some Toulmin I was reading for this too.
  • Shannon & Weaver, The Mathematical Theory of Communication [in the OP, freely available online]
  • Rice & Atkin, Public Communication Campaigns, 3rd ed. [common applied persuasion text, some parts online]
  • Jowell & O'Donnell, Propaganda & Persuasion, 5th ed. [common undergrad text from a mostly humanities perspective]
  • O'Keefe, Persuasion: Theory and Research, 3rd ed. [common grad/undergrad text on persuasion theories]
  • Littlejohn & Foss, Theories of Human Communication, 10th ed. [Another undergrad text, may be available online]
  • Multiple essays from Dieterich, ed., Teaching about Doublespeak [unused, old and from outside mainline thought, was going to use for a section on propaganda]
  • The AP Stylebook (2012 version) [just the one I have on hand]
  • Pfau & Parrott, Persuasive Communication Campaigns [out of print now I think but good undergrad text on comm campaigns for e.g. public health]
  • Newman & Newman, Evidence [Think I used this for some examples, mostly about policy argumentation]
  • Crossley & Wilson, How to argue [unused, for an introduction to claims iirc]
  • Fotheringham, Perspectives on Persuasion [old and weird but good on basic examples of communication]
  • Janis et al, Personality and Persuasibility [more persuasion theory]
  • Latour, Science in Action [for ANT and network effects, which I'm going to have to cover later]
  • Esrock, Hart & Leichty, "Smoking out the Opposition: The Rhetoric of Reaction and the Kentucky Cigarette Excise Tax Campaign", from Communication Activism vol 1 [unused, from a first draft of including reactionary rhetoric in the OP]

(That said, I also wound up deleting a ton of stuff from the OP so it would be less overwhelming and get it out on time.)

What you are telling us, with every post, repeatedly, is that you're actively contemptuous of the idea of discussion of a shared reality and want to wield information as a rhetorical cudgel without being called on it.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

That should probably be in the OP then instead of on page 18. (Also, the AP stylebook, what the gently caress? Whatever.) In any case, that still isn't the example what I and multiple other posters have asked for, about an example of a media that people in this thread trust even with qualifiers and caveats, but thank you, Fritz the Horse, I appreciate it.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Probably Magic posted:

That should probably be in the OP then instead of on page 18. (Also, the AP stylebook, what the gently caress? Whatever.) In any case, that still isn't the example what I and multiple other posters have asked for, about an example of a media that people in this thread trust even with qualifiers and caveats, but thank you, Fritz the Horse, I appreciate it.

AP and Washington Post are probably the closest you can get to being endorsed here.

Discendo Vox posted:

Most reputable news organizations prominently publish their internal policies; whether these policies are truly followed isn't guaranteed, of course. Here's the AP.

Discendo Vox posted:

As it came up earlier and I'm desperate to spend less time at the Omaha Zoo's latest exhibit, here's a shorter effortpost on general sourcing and attribution policy terms. fool of sound, this should be uncontroversial so if possible please link it in the OP.

. . .

I've primarily used policy materials from the AP and the Washington Post for this post (as I stated elsewhere, these policies are public and actively maintained, which is a good sign about these organizations). Both linked sites have much more contextual detail about their sourcing and quotation policies; this is just to provide some basic vocabulary. At some point in the future I'll go into citation effects and networked mediation, strengths and limitations of standard journalistic attribution practice which are also addressed in these policy sections.

Note that these are obviously not endorsements, only the most specific statements of approval of some facet.

mawarannahr fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Dec 15, 2021

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
This thread already had a 9/11 conspiracy theorist, next logical step will be a qanon supporter with similar arguments to the above, i.e. "you just gotta ignore their unhinged stuff about JFK coming back, the pedophile pizza networks are true and at least someone is exposing them and what is 'truth' and 'facts' anyway??"

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Thanks! I had looked in the op but didn't see a list like this.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Hey DV, what's your grudge against Professor Macluhan?

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Somaen posted:

This thread already had a 9/11 conspiracy theorist, next logical step will be a qanon supporter with similar arguments to the above, i.e. "you just gotta ignore their unhinged stuff about JFK coming back, the pedophile pizza networks are true and at least someone is exposing them and what is 'truth' and 'facts' anyway??"

The CIA did 9/11 and assassinated their agent Jeffrey Epstein while he was in jail.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Kingfish fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Dec 15, 2021

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Probably Magic posted:

That's the vibe I've been getting from this thread. No source is perfect, but certain sources that happen to line up with certain ideologies are acceptably bad in a way that other sources are not. Those other sources are fully tainted by their badness in all ways, while approved sources should be examined critically and compared to other approved sources.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Not gonna lie, I was really confused by a lot of this thread. It seemed like the responses people made to a lot of posts had nothing to do with the content of those posts. But then, I found these sunglasses in a trash can. NOW I get it.

Main Paineframe posted:

There's no such thing as a 100% accurate purveyor of information. Even a video camera can lie or mislead, and human beings can't help but interpret and rephrase information as they relay it. Moreover, the base information that's being related often has accuracy and bias issues before a reporter ever hears it.

Main Paineframe posted:

CNN IS GOOD. THEY ARE GOOD BECAUSE THEY LIKE IMPERIALISM, WHICH IS GOOD. SOURCES THAT SAY IMPERIALISM IS BAD ARE BAD.

fool of sound posted:

The idea isn't necessarily to discard their other reporting out of hand, but its still important to understand where the flaw in their processes is that led them to their "ill informed" reporting and consider if that flaw is affecting other reporting. This shouldn't be controversial: it's not very different from recognizing that a report from a corporate source is warped by their corporate interests, and considering how those interest affect their other reporting.

fool of sound posted:

IT IS BAD THAT YOU ARE A LEFTIST. WE WILL TRAIN LEFTISM OUT OF YOU. IT IS A DISOBEDIENT IDEOLOGY THAT WILL NOT BE TOLERATED.

Discendo Vox posted:

No, because as has already been discussed, totalizing relativism about sources of information is just a form of rationalization. Of course I'm imperfect and of course there are no perfect sources of information. At the same time, we do not have to pretend that all sources of information are selectively or generally useful. I don't need to give you a target list of better sources of information for you to relativize to try to equivocate about the already provided evidence that the Greyzone is a terrible source. This is, again, in the OP.

Discendo Vox posted:

I AM THE ARBITER OF TRUTH. NONE MAY QUESTION MY FINDINGS. MY FINDINGS ARE SUMMARIZED AS FOLLOWS: CNN IS GOOD. THEY ARE GOOD BECAUSE THEY LIKE IMPERIALISM, WHICH IS GOOD. SOURCES THAT SAY IMPERIALISM IS BAD ARE BAD.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
You're a dumb piece of poo poo Mellow Seas. I'm just I'm going to say it instead of constructing an elaborate gimmick post. Your poor pattern recognition and understanding of subtext does not equate to smarter posters having scifi magic.

One of the posts you quoted literally says we can't even accept specific selected information from a declared bad source, which is exactly what I was getting at. But I know owning your posting enemies is more important than not being a dumb shithead.

When Gray Zone does bad things they are bad source and nothing they say can ever be right or should be considered. When CNN does it...

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Dec 15, 2021

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Harold Fjord posted:

That's the vibe I've been getting from this thread. No source is perfect, but certain sources that happen to line up with certain ideologies are acceptably bad in a way that other sources are not. Those other sources are fully tainted by their badness in all ways, while approved sources should be examined critically and compared to other approved sources.

Hey, can you point to where someone said this? Because it sure does seem like people are making up poo poo no one actually posted, and then arguing with those strawmen instead of the actual posts that are being made in this thread.

Seriously, there are multiple posters loudly claiming that "this thread" is saying that whether a source is acceptable depends primarily on its ideological leaning. But as far as I can tell, the only person who's even gotten close to saying anything like that is Lib and Let Die. And I don't think they're the one you're trying to argue with here.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Professor Vox has been very clear throughout.

Certain sources are just so bad that they cannot even be cited selectively. If those sources happen to include the only ones with correct takes on us imperialism then correct takes on us imperialism are simply not part of an acceptable media diet. It is not ok to read and parse those sources even with this context, because you will still be unknowingly propagandized.

Meanwhile, CNN

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Dec 15, 2021

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Main Paineframe posted:

Hey, can you point to where someone said this? Because it sure does seem like people are making up poo poo no one actually posted, and then arguing with those strawmen instead of the actual posts that are being made in this thread.

Seriously, there are multiple posters loudly claiming that "this thread" is saying that whether a source is acceptable depends primarily on its ideological leaning. But as far as I can tell, the only person who's even gotten close to saying anything like that is Lib and Let Die. And I don't think they're the one you're trying to argue with here.

I've claimed that you shouldn't trust sources who simply regurgitate state department propaganda - you can call this an "ideological agenda" all you want, but that doesn't change the fact that uncritically regurgitating state department talking points on a capitalist news network with investors and personalities with close ties to the military-industrial complex and its profit motive is, at best, propaganda, and not news media. Have we all forgotten how quickly the sphere of Trusted Media turned on Biden during the Afghanistan withdrawal? Overnight he went from the most progressive president ever, to a blundering moron who's in over his head in pulling out of Afghanistan - and that was the most favorable coverage!

But if we ask these uncomfortable questions like "who does that narrative serve" and "why would anyone with a vested interest in [media outlet] want to present such a heel-turn?" and we start getting into the kind of territory that Polite Society deems lunatic conspiracy theories - things like professional-academic media existing solely to advance the goals of capital at the expense of global human suffering. We don't point out the ties between arms dealers and propaganda peddlers, it's conspiratorial to do things like that - but it's perfectly fine and reasonable to question if Ben Norton wants to hug and kiss Assad because he took funding from...an anti-war group based in California that wants the US to not gently caress around in Syria.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lib and let die posted:

I've claimed that you shouldn't trust sources who simply regurgitate state department propaganda - you can call this an "ideological agenda" all you want, but that doesn't change the fact that uncritically regurgitating state department talking points on a capitalist news network with investors and personalities with close ties to the military-industrial complex and its profit motive is, at best, propaganda, and not news media. Have we all forgotten how quickly the sphere of Trusted Media turned on Biden during the Afghanistan withdrawal? Overnight he went from the most progressive president ever, to a blundering moron who's in over his head in pulling out of Afghanistan - and that was the most favorable coverage!
If people were capable of noticing that the mainstream press reacted severely negatively to the Afghanistan withdrawal, and capable of putting together that it’s because of those ties between the MIC and capitalist media, and they judged the content accordingly… then I’m not really sure why you would continue to insist that people are accepting big media's conclusions uncritically?

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Mellow Seas posted:

If people were capable of noticing that the mainstream press reacted severely negatively to the Afghanistan withdrawal, and capable of putting together that it’s because of those ties between the MIC and capitalist media, and they judged the content accordingly… then I’m not really sure why you would continue to insist that people are accepting big media's conclusions uncritically?

Uh...isn't the whole premise of this thread's existence hinged upon a given that there are a large enough subset of non-critical media consumers that it requires a stickied discussion on?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Lib and let die posted:

But if we ask these uncomfortable questions like "who does that narrative serve" and "why would anyone with a vested interest in [media outlet] want to present such a heel-turn?" and we start getting into the kind of territory that Polite Society deems lunatic conspiracy theories - things like professional-academic media existing solely to advance the goals of capital at the expense of global human suffering. We don't point out the ties between arms dealers and propaganda peddlers, it's conspiratorial to do things like that - but it's perfectly fine and reasonable to question if Ben Norton wants to hug and kiss Assad because he took funding from...an anti-war group based in California that wants the US to not gently caress around in Syria.

You sound like a conspiracy theorist because you can't have a loving conversation, because while others are trying to discuss nuances and details, you go off on a wild rant about something unrelated every loving time. I've made specific posts about what reliable sourcing looks like in a foreign policy context, but instead of even acknowledging that, you're monologuing blindly like a politics podcast reject.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Main Paineframe posted:

You sound like a conspiracy theorist because you can't have a loving conversation, because while others are trying to discuss nuances and details, you go off on a wild rant about something unrelated every loving time. I've made specific posts about what reliable sourcing looks like in a foreign policy context, but instead of even acknowledging that, you're monologuing blindly like a politics podcast reject.

Sorry, but maybe I am functionally illiterate - going back through your posts in the thread it seems like your advice is based on completely insane hypotheticals and none of the real world examples I've actually been trying to discuss.

quote:

That doesn't mean that I'm just going to blindly trust any source that preaches Medicare For All regardless of what else they say, though! What if a source calls for nationalized healthcare, the banning of vaccines and surgery, and free Miracle Mineral Solution enemas for everyone? I'm probably gonna close the tab and start looking for a source that deals in facts and data instead!

Or was your advice to just, stop consuming media in the tone of this snippet:

quote:

Why do you need to read any reporting at all? You've clearly already decided what's happened before you even click the headline. That's why, instead of asking for media that's reliably sourced or supported by facts, you're asking for media that consistently supports your preferred viewpoint.

I'd suggest the advice of this poster, if you're just going to keep shadowboxing with hypotheticals.

Main Paineframe posted:

Frankly, this discussion is going loving nowhere until you start engaging with what people actually post, instead of closing your eyes and boxing with the shadows of arguments you saw on Twitter years ago.

Otherwise:

Gumball Gumption posted:

Ok, so which news sources with a focus on reporting on American imperialism do you recommend?

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

You're going on about posters being conspiracy theorists after going to bat heavily for a thread whose central thesis seems to be, "Misinformation is never delivered passively, not even when it's unintentional, but always with agency, which is why people are not allowed to get facts are wrong but are in fact trying to sabotage the overall discourse." Which I think is an insane reading of misinformation. If I say, "Remember when Hillary Clinton hopped into the Nebraska primary when it was technically sanctioned and then demanded her votes there be authenticated," when the correct state was Michigan, (a) My point still stands, and (b) I'm not trying to sabotage the conversation towards a sinister ulterior motive. Yet I committed a disinformation! So all disinformation is not the same, and not all disinformation is delivered to sabotage the conversation. If you're saying that's not the case, keep in mind the OP tried to say that I was trying to sabotage this thread by discussing why his take on Thomas Frank was weird without reading his five post opening post that also had nothing to do with why he doesn't like Frank.

Which leads to

Okay, but here's what I'm seeing:

Glasses off: Here's a fairly elementary guide to source criticism, think of the ideology and perspective of the source you get stuff from, etc., what you learned in middle school, but also, some media is acceptable while some media is definitely not....

Glasses on: ...like renowned liberal Thomas Frank.

"Ah, you're just mad because you agree with-" No, that's an autoresponse this thread has to anyone who's pointed out they're doing insane gatekeeping. It's Thomas Frank, he's right up most of this forum's alley, and having to pretend he's an egregious example of media manipulation in service of sinister ideological motives is (a) Funny if he's being compared to the literal Associated Press, yeah, no poo poo that he's commentating more than that, and (b) Shows this isn't really about ideology since Frank is more D&D than CSPAM, he just made fun of academics which got certain feathers rustled, which, (c) Means most of these caveats about not turning on material that doesn't confirm your preconceived notions is, well, psychological projection.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Lib and let die posted:

Sorry, but maybe I am functionally illiterate - going back through your posts in the thread it seems like your advice is based on completely insane hypotheticals and none of the real world examples I've actually been trying to discuss.

Or was your advice to just, stop consuming media in the tone of this snippet:

I'd suggest the advice of this poster, if you're just going to keep shadowboxing with hypotheticals.

Otherwise:

Main Paineframe posted:

There are entire sub-fields of academia dedicated to questions like these. The first page of this thread is a decent primer, even if it doesn't really answer your specific question.

What kind of source can qualify as reliable? To me, it depends on what the source is about!

For something like a police shooting, the closest one could get to a reliable source is an unaffiliated passerby eyewitness who happened to take video of the scene.

For something like a plane crash or building collapse, the closest one could get to a reliable source would be the nonpartisan investigation by the relevant accident board - eyewitnesses often make mistakes in the details of such events, or fail to accurately remember them, and videos can often be misleading. Of course, such investigations usually take months or years to do the detailed analysis they need to reach their conclusions. In the meantime, misinformation and speculation reign supreme; live 24-hour news coverage has made both the media and the viewers dangerously impatient.

For something like bombs being dropped from aircraft in a country ravaged by civil war halfway across the world, I'm not sure there can be any such thing as a reliable source. Those kinds of incidents have the same problems as the above, plus an extra-special bonus: no one is recounting those events in English unless they're trying to influence American policy in some way. Everything about that which makes its way to English-language media is intended to influence the Western discourses from the start, and only makes it into English-language media at the behest of numerous layers of translators, advocates, and interest groups all actively working to bring it over, mostly at the behest of governments and organizations with a clear stake in various narratives and interpretations.

It's even worse for things like intel agency claims. It's impossible to independently verify something that's secret, and oftentimes the only sources in either direction are the people alleging the secret and the people accused of keeping the secret. At best, it's a question of which side you trust more. It's not even a question of trying to determine how a source's bias may have affected or influenced the underlying facts, we just don't know any underlying facts at all. It's possibly the purest form of "person A says X, person B says Y" in all of journalism, even moreso than celebrity gossip.

Of course, in any of these cases, that only applies to the original source, and you do have to find as much as you can about those original sources and be aware of how the story shifts and changes in the hands of reporters. Particularly a problem in science reporting.

Why do you need to read any reporting at all? You've clearly already decided what's happened before you even click the headline. That's why, instead of asking for media that's reliably sourced or supported by facts, you're asking for media that consistently supports your preferred viewpoint.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

And that's a real question, not a gotcha. I legit think the Greyzone sucks because I think they've allowed valid fears of government control to run wild during a moment where a lot of the things they're afraid of are valid actions to contain a pandemic. But I also think they do a lot of legitimate reporting and report on stories that otherwise get ignored. As an example, the piece posted earlier about them being anti-lockdown is well sourced and backed by solid information and is a good piece about abuses that took place during lockdown and used lockdown to commit them. It also has good information on the effects of lockdowns in different countries and what worked and didn't. I disagree with the conclusion they come to which is anti-all lockdown but the facts are there.

So yeah, I'm curious what experts in this thread who are more knowledgeable than me about analyzing media think are better sources/outlets for the types of stories the Greyzone covers without the fear bias that you can see bleeding into their work. What are positive examples I can look at while I try to read more on analyzing media?

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I actually agree with most, if not all of this post. Kind of echoing on what Gumball just posted, I also dislike that I have to go to somewhere like Jimmy Dore or the GreyZone to get a counter-narrative to whatever the spooks are pushing through Official Channels. I'd much rather have anti-war allies in far-reaching media like CNN or MSNBC rather than some dudes on Rokfin or YouTube, but the simple matter is - I don't. The closest I'll ever get to that in the current media environment is when Glenn Greenwald goes on Tucker for his once a month flagellation for saying The Right Thing On The Wrong Network, and that's just a cruel mockery of anti-war journalism at that point.

Ultimately it is depressing more than it is enraging - it's absolutely true what you say, very little reliable information comes out of bombed out countries halfway across the world without some kind of baked-in agenda - if I might be so bold as to suggest that we both agree that The Old Ways of international reporting have a not-insignificant bias towards the interests of the MIC, and that GreyZone's non-imperialism work is, in fact, a mark against them, then...what? What's the point? The official sources counting their blood bucks can't be trusted, and the COVID truther anti-imperialists can't be trusted, so we're back at the fundamental issue of...what can be trusted?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Mainframe, I think I get that post but is the point then that no piece of media is free from bias so it's impossible to go "This place is decent and here are some of the problems they do have"? Because I read that post and it feels like I'm ending up in the same place, that the Greyzone like all media performs valid fact based reporting and also performs reporting meant to push a narrative and you need to separate that and question that. Which gets me to "The greyzone has good reporting but has a bias that gives some of their reporting an anti-vax mandate and an anti-lockdown position". But this whole thing started from the idea that the Greyzone can never be trusted because they're anti-vax and anti-science. So how does that break down? Is everything biased and you need to sort through it on your own? Are there sources so biased you can dismiss them out of hand? And does that go the other way? It feels like the argument is that they can be so biased they can be dismissed out of hand but the reverse can't be true, that you can't perfectly trust any media. But I'm not sure and if true I'm really not sure it applies to the Greyzone since again, I feel like I can sort through when they're pushing narrative and when they're reporting facts.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
And predictably we're back to the totalizing equivocation about sources. Everything's biased, so my absolutely terrible obvious channel for propaganda and conspiracy theories should be acceptable when it tells me things I find ideologically appealing.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

And predictably we're back to the totalizing equivocation about sources. Everything's biased, so my absolutely terrible obvious channel for propaganda and conspiracy theories should be acceptable when it tells me things I find ideologically appealing.

Very helpful! Thank you, professor!

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Discendo Vox posted:

Yes we know you love CNN, you don't have to keep telling us.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm trying to understand how to sort this out? I don't understand this hostility. How do I identify obviously terrible channels for propaganda and conspiracy from biased but well informed reporters?

And again, my reading of the Greyzone is that they're well informed but have a bias and that bias has an effect on their reporting but from the thread my understanding is that there is nothing special about that. Every media has that problem due to inherent human bias. So what causes them to cross the line?

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gumball Gumption posted:

I'm trying to understand how to sort this out? I don't understand this hostility. How do I identify obviously terrible channels for propaganda and conspiracy from biased but well informed reporters?

And again, my reading of the Greyzone is that they're well informed but have a bias and that bias has an effect on their reporting but from the thread my understanding is that there is nothing special about that. Every media has that problem due to inherent human bias. So what causes them to cross the line?
Calling myanmar protesters agents of the US because they oppose the military coup in myanmar.
https://twitter.com/BenjaminNorton/status/1380176961667002373
https://twitter.com/BenjaminNorton/status/1380183399273484290

You know the Douma chemical attack in syria?
The greyzones stance is that it never happened.

https://twitter.com/TheGrayzoneNews/status/1220075656899260416

The greyzone is not a valid source.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Every news organization that reported WMDs in Iraq is also not a valid source. Do we then have any valid sources left in the world?

It seems like some sources are just too biased while others are of course imperfect but acceptable, according someone who thinks they are a neutral, non-ideological arbiter. Then when the point is raised of how this spectrum of biased but acceptable to biased and unacceptable seems to perfectly fit the arbiters ideology it is dismissed as the raiser being ideologically in favor of unacceptable sources.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Dec 15, 2021

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

This type of low-effort posting would be better suited for CSPAM.

I have very little patience for Greenwald or Diore these days. I think a big problem with more independently funded journalism is that it goes where there's an audience and the perceived audience of Bernie donors has dried up and now there is only increased messaging to libertarians who want cultural conservatism. This is rather unfortunate, since I used to think of Greenwald as someone who got things right mostly and then had bad days, and now that ratio is very much inversed. You'd like to see the socioeconomic profit mode effect journalism less than that, but mainstream media is no less under sway of profit motive obviously, from MSNBC and Melissa Harris-Perry parting ways not even because she's a leftist but because she wanted to keep her show about IDpol instead of the election at large, and despite there being plenty of audience for IDPol, it just wasn't viewed as profitable as just constant horrified Trump updates.

You're not actually refuting anything, just saying, "I don't like this, so it must not be true," over and over again, which seems to be supposedly against the point of this thread, though I suspect Main Painframe is not going to yell at you about this. Also, if this is your chosen model of source criticism, why should I take seriously any post made by you, a guy banned for weird pedo remarks?

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The Grayzone went from saying the attack never happened to saying the Syrian government didn't do the gas attack.
In fact the greyzone now pushes the idea its a false-flag attack by insurgents gassing their own civilians.

https://twitter.com/aaronjmate/status/1469724364711116810
https://twitter.com/aaronjmate/status/1397294750282227718

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Pharohman777 posted:

Calling myanmar protesters agents of the US because they oppose the military coup in myanmar.
https://twitter.com/BenjaminNorton/status/1380176961667002373
https://twitter.com/BenjaminNorton/status/1380183399273484290

You know the Douma chemical attack in syria?
The greyzones stance is that it never happened.

https://twitter.com/TheGrayzoneNews/status/1220075656899260416

The greyzone is not a valid source.

Ok, so if a source repeatedly publishes false information that helps push a narrative it's invalid? That's a pretty fair standard but that invalidates a lot of sources.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
They are repeatedly pushing conspiracy theory junk that does more harm than good.

From saying that a gas attack in Syria never happened, calling protesters of a coup in Myanmar agents of the US, or the founder max Blumenthal thinking that a family trying to make makeshift gas masks are just 'humanitarian intervention' propaganda.

The greyzone is a pile of poo poo.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Lib and let die posted:

I actually agree with most, if not all of this post. Kind of echoing on what Gumball just posted, I also dislike that I have to go to somewhere like Jimmy Dore or the GreyZone to get a counter-narrative to whatever the spooks are pushing through Official Channels. I'd much rather have anti-war allies in far-reaching media like CNN or MSNBC rather than some dudes on Rokfin or YouTube, but the simple matter is - I don't. The closest I'll ever get to that in the current media environment is when Glenn Greenwald goes on Tucker for his once a month flagellation for saying The Right Thing On The Wrong Network, and that's just a cruel mockery of anti-war journalism at that point.

Ultimately it is depressing more than it is enraging - it's absolutely true what you say, very little reliable information comes out of bombed out countries halfway across the world without some kind of baked-in agenda - if I might be so bold as to suggest that we both agree that The Old Ways of international reporting have a not-insignificant bias towards the interests of the MIC, and that GreyZone's non-imperialism work is, in fact, a mark against them, then...what? What's the point? The official sources counting their blood bucks can't be trusted, and the COVID truther anti-imperialists can't be trusted, so we're back at the fundamental issue of...what can be trusted?

I think when it comes to current foreign policy events, there's no truly reliable sources. At best, there's people who try to pick through pieces of motivated info and biased accounts like they're tea leaves to construct an educated guess at what's going on, but I wouldn't really call that reliable, even though it's far better than people who just cherrypick out their preferred take or straight-up make stuff up without even worrying about the sources. Solid primary sources that don't have a blatant interest in a specific narrative often don't become publicly available until years or even decades later, depending on the event. This doesn't mean that we can just believe whatever because it's all untrustworthy - it means we should regard it all with suspicion because none of it is good info.

This is something that I think a lot of Westerners struggle with in the modern era: the idea that we can straight-up just not know what's happening. We're so used to cameras on every corner, live-tweetings of every remotely-notable event, and 24-hour news flooding us with info. When something happens in a place where we just have no reliable info at all, it seems like folks have a hard time accepting that...and, in the lack of reliable info, they embrace questionable info instead. No matter how clearly sketchy the info is, people prefer bad info now to good info a year or two (or even a week or two) down the road.

Of course, that's a fault shared by the mainstream media, who are just as happy to run to press with unreliable info from certain kinds of untrustworthy or motivated sources even if they can't verify it independently. But blindly running with equally-untrustworthy sources that portray an opposite narrative isn't really a solution. Overall, it's all part of a larger problem: effective public oversight of foreign policy and intel issues is nearly impossible. Much of what happens in those fields is inherently non-public or intentionally hidden from the public.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Pharohman777 posted:

They are repeatedly pushing conspiracy theory junk that does more harm than good.

From saying that a gas attack in Syria never happened, calling protesters of a coup in Myanmar agents of the US, or the founder max Blumenthal thinking that a family trying to make makeshift gas masks are just 'humanitarian intervention' propaganda.

The greyzone is a pile of poo poo.

How does this compare with:

-Saddam has WMDs and worked with Al Qaeda
-we will be welcomed as liberators in Iraq
-Cuomo is a strong leader in fighting covid
-Our allies in Afghanistan support women's rights
-The Science says wearing masks is bad
-Evo Morales is a dictator and prosecuting those who did a coup against him is a human rights violation

I'd argue the nytimes, CNN and Wapo are as much piles of poo poo. the above are all lies they helped spread, and those lies have killed a huge number of people.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Why do you guys keep calling DV "professor"? Is it some sort of inside joke?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

I think people are being mean but I have always assumed he's in academia or something considered how often he's cited as an expert.

Anyways, I get why the Greyzone is a bad source for a lot of stories. I'm not disagreeing with any of that. But I don't understand what makes them so uniquely bad when all of the problems being described keep being described as universal problems and can be observed in many different organizations. Is that quantifiable so you can then say "This organization is so untrustworthy that you can dismiss everything out of hand", is it like porn where you can't define it but you know it when you see it, or is that wrong and you can't actually do that with source?

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

I am absolutely not willing to say Mate was wrong on Syria because he was right on Russia where this forum was wrong. Establishments like WaPo had to make retractions on their Russia coverage, Mate has not. I'm more inclined then to trust his expertise on Syria than some random SA poster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

The same reason my insane Facebook anti-vax aunt derides people who took the vaccine as "science-believers"

Good effort on discussion but there's just so much you can do when threads get overrun by bottom of the barrel idiots, just waiting for the first genuine qanoner to pop up