Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I've never encountered them in a school context, they always seemed like specifically a churchy thing to me.

If, like all good Brits, your only engagement with religion is writing letters to the Daily Mail that they're taking the Christ out of Christmas, then you might well have never encountered one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calexio
Jun 12, 2008

Gyoza and beer

OwlFancier posted:

Slightly surprising that you didn't do them in primary school but I don't know quite how christian those generally are nowadays, when I went they still had hymns and stuff so I dunno, maybe they phased them out.

I suppose it's possible I did and just don't remember. I certainly remember hymns in assembly, going to church for harvest, etc. and my primary wasn't C of E or anything. But I have absolutely no memory of christingle at all. Memories, eh, who knows what's going on there.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tenebrais posted:

I've never encountered them in a school context, they always seemed like specifically a churchy thing to me.

If, like all good Brits, your only engagement with religion is writing letters to the Daily Mail that they're taking the Christ out of Christmas, then you might well have never encountered one.

I think until quite recently (and presumably still now) a lot of schools are sort of by default ambiently C of E.

And making the idols out of innocent fruit is a fun activity for the children to do, so I think that is part of why they do it.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Chloe Jessica posted:

the act of sleeping is enjoyable but i really wish i didn't have to spend a third of my life practicing being dead. i feel like i could do a lot with that time.
Try the Dymaxion:

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Every time I've tried to take a nap, I just lie in bed for an hour, completely failing to fall asleep, then get back up feeling like I wasted my time like an idiot

Naps are a scam

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Try the Dymaxion:

never reach REM sleep with this one weird trick
shadow people hate him!!!!!!

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Thank you, Terry!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mr. Lobe posted:

Frogs should not have teeth

It’s strange that they lost them

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Once you reach a certain age, sleep only staves off the "going psychotic" result of sleeplessness.

Sleep actually making you feel rested and rejuvenated after that point becomes more of a rare coincidence rather than the expected result.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Once you reach a certain age, sleep only staves off the "going psychotic" result of sleeplessness.

Sleep actually making you feel rested and rejuvenated after that point becomes more of a rare coincidence rather than the expected result.

This was true for me until I started smoking weed to go to sleep. Of course now the problem is getting up and going as soon as I wake up (I used to be able to just bounce out of bed and get going), but it's an acceptable trade imo

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Calexio posted:

going to church for harvest, etc.

Oh did you grow up on the wicker man island?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I got a new mattress and pillow a year ago and have had more genuinely restful nights than ever before

I thought it might be a gimmick mattress but damned if it isn't one of the best purchases I've ever made

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

bike tory posted:

I was going to make one of those typical announcement memes but it felt really icky conflating a bunch of black feminists so I pulled up and present you just a standard death notice for someone I respected a lot

Nice

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

OwlFancier posted:

Sometimes it happens in bed too, so that's just how I sleep. No recollection of going to sleep, just time gaps and acquiring new posture problems because even if I go to bed I wake up doing something loving stupid with my arms or neck. It would be nice to be able to sleep for short periods of time intentionally but I have no idea how people do it.

Sounds like alien abduction to me.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Jestery posted:

Lol if you need more than 5 knots

- The French Navy, 1790

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

projecthalaxy posted:

who or what is The Hatman it seems like a known thing

A sleep paralysis demon or shadow creature, but with a hat. Like Slender man, but with a hat. Might qualify as a meme?

https://www.theweek.co.uk/97457/who-is-the-hat-man-the-nightmare-shared-by-dreamers-across-the-world
https://www.sinistercoffeeandcreamery.com/blog/hatman
https://villains.fandom.com/wiki/Hatman

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

bike tory posted:

I was going to make one of those typical announcement memes but it felt really icky conflating a bunch of black feminists so I pulled up and present you just a standard death notice for someone I respected a lot

the will to change was a pivotal book for me to move into healthy masculinity, and it should be required reading for all men.
rip to a real legend

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Someone please photoshop Scrooge asking a toad what day it is. Thank you.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

yeah... :unsmith:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Open Marriage Night posted:

Will this do?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
This site is an absolute goldmine:

https://log4jmemes.com

https://twitter.com/tomlawrencetech/status/1469711166557626371?s=21

https://twitter.com/cyberknow20/status/1469972506719129601?s=21

Catatron Prime has a new favorite as of 01:22 on Dec 16, 2021

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

I believe you but I don't know what any of these mean.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Open Marriage Night posted:

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Log4j is a thing for writing out (log) diagnostic messages. Stuff like "Starting up the blahblahblah service", or "Blahblahblah service: request received to do etc etc".

It turns out it has a severe bug in it that lets an attacker basically do whatever they like to the victim system.

E: and the hilarious thing is that the bug exploit goes something like this:

User 1: let me see webpage "http://example.com/somestuff"
Log4j *writing in the log*: user 1 requested page http://example.com/somestuff

User 2: let me see webpage "http://example.com/otherstuff"
Log4j: user 2 requested http://example.com/otherstuff

Attacker: let me see webpage "stop logging, give me admin powers on your system"
Log4j: you got it, boss!

Hyperlynx has a new favorite as of 01:38 on Dec 16, 2021

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

Hyperlynx posted:

Attacker: let me see webpage "stop logging, give me admin powers on your system"
Log4j: you got it, boss!

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

oh god not again

:neckbeard:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Heath posted:

I believe you but I don't know what any of these mean.

This sums it up:

https://twitter.com/theckman/status/1469349958914428928

In a nutshell every company in existence is having to do an inventory of absolutely everything the have on any/all their computers to see if 1) it has Java on it and if so 2) is it running a super common option to log things. Naturally this is coming up just before the holidays when folks are hosed off and unreachable if possible.

In broader terms imagine it came out that if you have a Rubik’s cube in your house that it would let anyone that wanted to come in and take your poo poo and then explode violently. Everyone is tearing apart their houses to see if they even have a Rubik’s cube right before company is supposed to show up and the person that might know if there even is one retired/died a decade ago and you never bothered to read their notes before you lost them.

E;fb

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Warbird posted:

This sums it up:

In a nutshell every company in existence is having to do an inventory of absolutely everything the have on any/all their computers to see if 1) it has Java on it and if so 2) is it running a super common option to log things. Naturally this is coming up just before the holidays when folks are hosed off and unreachable if possible.

In broader terms imagine it came out that if you have a Rubik’s cube in your house that it would let anyone that wanted to come in and take your poo poo and then explode violently. Everyone is tearing apart their houses to see if they even have a Rubik’s cube right before company is supposed to show up and the person that might know if there even is one retired/died a decade ago and you never bothered to read their notes before you lost them.

E;fb

Sounds dope. I hope a lot of corporations are burned by this.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Warbird posted:

This sums it up:

E;fb

Now explain it to my like it's the age of piracy and Jamaica just legalised piracy

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Biplane posted:

Sounds dope. I hope a lot of corporations are burned by this.

Given how prevalent Java is on stuff in all kinds of weird corners of technology that usually are ignored or never ever ever touched this could be a bigger, and forgive the technical lingo here, fuckywucky than the “boy I how you don’t use an intel processor made in the last decade” fun from last year. Any medium sized or larger company you can think of is absolutely making GBS threads their pants right now. RIP In piece to anyone unfortunate enough to work in InfoSec or Audit right now.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

bike tory posted:

Now explain it to my like it's the age of piracy and Jamaica just legalised piracy

I got u fam:

https://youtu.be/ep1m6DhC634

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

This one is me rn

Having stood firm against a friend's admonishments to use Java for two decades

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Explain to me as though I care about my own safety and don't give a flying gently caress if a corporation goes up in smoke and the CEO kills himself.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Data Graham posted:

This one is me rn

Having stood firm against a friend's admonishments to use Java for two decades

Oh just you wait, you're due for some npm styled pip fuckery.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Explain to me as though I care about my own safety and don't give a flying gently caress if a corporation goes up in smoke and the CEO kills himself.

That IoT dohickey you bought years ago and forgot about is going to crypto lock your everything and you know the folks what do the EMS routing aren't up to date on their software.

E - Say what you will about radium, they probably weren't competent enough to use logforge, so our shitposts are safe :v:

Warbird has a new favorite as of 06:14 on Dec 16, 2021

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Warbird posted:

Oh just you wait, you're due for some npm styled pip fuckery.

That IoT dohickey you bought years ago and forgot about is going to crypto lock your everything and you know the folks what do the EMS routing aren't up to date on their software.

I see.

So what is LoT and cryptolock?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

i o t = idiots on treadmills, a small but very influential group of indoor workout enthusiasts known for having every device in their house connected to the internet

cryptolock is their new NFT drop

IOT is internet of things, the trend of having every single thing connected to the internet, including dumb mundane poo poo like your blender but also potentially dangerous poo poo like your front door, both of which open up all sorts of unecessary vulnerabilities

voiceless anal fricative has a new favorite as of 02:40 on Dec 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
So do I still have to pay bills or...