Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

So that's deffo O-Kagachi's kid, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Archenteron posted:

Yes specifically it's daughter. Literally That Which Was Taken

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

If someone took that pile from me I'd tell them to keep it LOL

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Archenteron posted:

Yep, she was a part of the Kamigawa books. As Hoot mentioned, That Which was Taken is Kyodai.

The leaked cards are cool but I'm inclined to believe they're fake because they are ALL references to previous card names, no unique ones, which can be a sign of a fake spoiler.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

GonSmithe posted:

Yep, she was a part of the Kamigawa books. As Hoot mentioned, That Which was Taken is Kyodai.

The leaked cards are cool but I'm inclined to believe they're fake because they are ALL references to previous card names, no unique ones, which can be a sign of a fake spoiler.

The fact that all the art seems to match up lorewise and people haven't found any of it anywhere else inclines me to think they're real.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Did they ever make an Un-set card called That Which Is Bacon. Methinks twould be fairly epic.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Mystic Remora, you heathens. :colbert:

That design sucks loving rear end

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Basically any cumulative upkeep cost which is just "pay the cost to keep it around" is boring and worthless

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

fadam posted:

The fact that all the art seems to match up lorewise and people haven't found any of it anywhere else inclines me to think they're real.

it seems like a lot of effort for a fake. obviously some people will go to great lengths to create fakes to "trick" people but either the person creating the fake had the wherewithal to put in a ton of effort into it and cut off one of the cards or they're real.

they're also don't appear to be heavily overpowered. if they're fake kudos to the faker for putting that much effort into it.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
It's a downer that cumulative upkeep and echo costs, which specifically are designed to let cards be more powerful than their mana costs would dictate, are so hated by people. I think MaRo or someone like him said in one of their surveys a lot of people only see it as a downside and not as a trade-off. I like the idea of another balance lever on cards.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It's not that hard to do but having the artists credited in Japanese and English including the detail that Tetsu Kurosawa is credited in katakana is enough for me to believe it's real cause why dip into a foreign language you probably don't speak for your fake? It just adds an additional dimension for failure that you wouldn't be able to foresee.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

The only compelling thing I've seen said to suggest they're fake is that the set symbol is hidden on the three. That said, they look pretty real to me.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

mandatory lesbian posted:

Basically any cumulative upkeep cost which is just "pay the cost to keep it around" is boring and worthless

Agreed; that’s why I think they should stretch their legs designwise with CU one more time like they did with some cards in Coldsnap.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
We've had a bunch of these leaks recently and they've always been true. Even the most outlandish ones like cyberpunk Kamigawa That's happening tomorrow

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Aranan posted:

It's a downer that cumulative upkeep and echo costs, which specifically are designed to let cards be more powerful than their mana costs would dictate, are so hated by people. I think MaRo or someone like him said in one of their surveys a lot of people only see it as a downside and not as a trade-off. I like the idea of another balance lever on cards.

If they wanted people to see it that way then they should have designed cards that way, instead of a bunch of cards that weren't great even before they slapped cumulative upkeep on them.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Saw some talk about how these are almost certainly intentional "leaks" by WotC, especially because of the awful photo quality and the fact that parts of the card are obscured because if this was real absolutely no one would be taking a photo of cards in 144p.

If they're intentional then that certainly explains why it's all references to named characters from the original Kamigawa and not an actual random selection.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Ultima66 posted:

Saw some talk about how these are almost certainly intentional "leaks" by WotC, especially because of the awful photo quality and the fact that parts of the card are obscured because if this was real absolutely no one would be taking a photo of cards in 144p.

If they're intentional then that certainly explains why it's all references to named characters from the original Kamigawa and not an actual random selection.

This theory gets posted everytime a leak happens. It just never really makes sense cuz wotc had no clear reason to leak anything. Disgruntled employee maybe but intentional company leak seems more farfetched

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Suppose someone got their hands on some cards early, that nobody else had seen. I imagine a lot of people would be content to just sit on that, or maybe discuss it with just a few friends, but there are a few people that would go ahead and share it more widely.

The question is why. What's their motivation?

Once you answer that it usually becomes pretty clear why they choose to drip-feed information and use low-quality pictures with key parts hidden instead of just showing you the whole thing (at which point you'll go "oh cool" and move on to discussing something other than the leak).

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
or it could just be the marketing team doing a "leak" like many marketing companies do as part of a regular ad campaign these days

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

edit: it would be absolutely dumb for this to be an intentional leak.

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Dec 16, 2021

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I thought the bigger problem with echo, CU, etc was the memory issues. It’s easy to accidentally forget to pay and then you either lose your cool card or have to rewind the game back.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Jabor posted:

Suppose someone got their hands on some cards early, that nobody else had seen. I imagine a lot of people would be content to just sit on that, or maybe discuss it with just a few friends, but there are a few people that would go ahead and share it more widely.

The question is why. What's their motivation?

reddit karma

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I just wanted to gather you all here to today to say I loving hate the Alchemy online only cards. I hate how there are so many cards that target a card in my opponents hand to give it an upside, but I don't even get to see what said card is.
It's a design space magic never needed to use. Especially the cards where when x happens "draft a card," what a stupid 2 for 1 mechanic that rubbish is.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
My solution is to only play Historic Brawl on Arena, and concede as soon as an alchemy thing comes on the board.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I don't think I'd find it particularly irritating if it was just its own thing. I don't mind it when WotC is willing to get weird and different and shake things up a bit, but making it affect an already established format is kinda lame.

If Alchemy was just its own format I'd probably even be interested in it. That's a lie, if I wanted Eternal or Hearthstone I'd just go play Eternal or Hearthstone.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
If the three of us sign a petition and send it to WOTC to end this nonsense, I really think we could make things happen.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

DangerDongs posted:

I just wanted to gather you all here to today to say I loving hate the Alchemy online only cards. I hate how there are so many cards that target a card in my opponents hand to give it an upside, but I don't even get to see what said card is.
It's a design space magic never needed to use. Especially the cards where when x happens "draft a card," what a stupid 2 for 1 mechanic that rubbish is.

Yeah, it's garbage. It doesn't feel like Magic at all once one of those cards hit.

No, you can't perpetually give a card in my opponent's hand haste. In Magic there has to be something I can interact with that will give my opponent's creatures haste, and I have to build a deck around being able to interact with that card and make the strategy decision of whether or not I will destroy that card in game.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

whydirt posted:

I thought the bigger problem with echo, CU, etc was the memory issues. It’s easy to accidentally forget to pay and then you either lose your cool card or have to rewind the game back.

I mean with CU specifically I believe it was changed to putting counters on the card, and then you pay the cost for each counter. At which point, it’s no different memory-wise than tracking any other timed trigger (put a +1/+1 counter on a creature at the beginning of combat, or put -1/-1s on creatures you don’t control during upkeep, etc).

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
You can always just Thoughtseize the Perpetually Hasted creature and they will have lost all value from playing an understatted creature to buff it.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

why would wizards give preview cards to content creators that they've already internally leaked before official previews begin? don't add up

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
honestly, its not that bad, even with the online only stuff.

if they manage to make the next set not be MUCHO TEXTO: the gathering, i think it has the potential for fun!

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

TotalHell posted:

I mean with CU specifically I believe it was changed to putting counters on the card, and then you pay the cost for each counter. At which point, it’s no different memory-wise than tracking any other timed trigger (put a +1/+1 counter on a creature at the beginning of combat, or put -1/-1s on creatures you don’t control during upkeep, etc).

yeah that change was great since they also gave you things that interacted with those new counters

and then later that creature that ate any counters to draw cards

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Eej posted:

You can always just Thoughtseize the Perpetually Hasted creature and they will have lost all value from playing an understatted creature to buff it.

Except most of the enablers aren’t understated. The most commonly played one is a 1/3 flying lifelinker with two relevant creature types for 1W.

Also, lol on any retort that is “can be thoughtseized,” the even dumber cousin to “dies to removal.”

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Ultima66 posted:

History has proven that this is 100% wrong. No matter how much technology advances, no matter how easy it is to take a good picture on your phone, every single Magic leak is the worst possible picture you could ever take of the card. It’s a time-honored tradition.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Fuzzy pictures are a key feature of cryptoludology

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I'd believe it less if the picture was nice tbh.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Every time I leak a card I always put a filter over it. It's my signature, my trademark.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

The Human Crouton posted:

Yeah, it's garbage. It doesn't feel like Magic at all once one of those cards hit.

No, you can't perpetually give a card in my opponent's hand haste. In Magic there has to be something I can interact with that will give my opponent's creatures haste, and I have to build a deck around being able to interact with that card and make the strategy decision of whether or not I will destroy that card in game.

One of the only Alchemy cards I like is the one drop 1/2 wolf that gives the next creature you cast +1/+1, Vigilance and Trample, but that's probably because it could be easily replicated in paper with ability counters

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
i always bring a ring light, a 4k hdr lens, etc. with he while trying to take surreptitious pictures of things that would get me fired from my manufacturing job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

GonSmithe posted:

History has proven that this is 100% wrong. No matter how much technology advances, no matter how easy it is to take a good picture on your phone, every single Magic leak is the worst possible picture you could ever take of the card. It’s a time-honored tradition.

In theory it makes it harder to work out who leaked I imagine?