Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The 7th Guest posted:

the shopkeeper quotes giant rear end jordan peterson rants unironically the more you talk to him and calls him jordan the wise

iirc that wasn’t “unironic” at all, he gets annoyed if you keep pestering him and starts pulling dumb quotes out of his rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

100YrsofAttitude posted:

It doesn't look wholesome but I mostly agree. Or at least if they're doing the Mother thing at least try to be a bit original?

It was more about the whole thing than just the last title. Nothing really looked awful, just most of the presentation styles feel a bit predictable by now, like the last few Indie Worlds have been fed into an AI procedural generator and this is the result. I enjoyed Olli Olli a lot on the 3DS but the own brand Adventure Time art style of this one isn't really doing it for me. I did like the train murder game though.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Augus posted:

iirc that wasn’t “unironic” at all, he gets annoyed if you keep pestering him and starts pulling dumb quotes out of his rear end
it wasn't a quote so much as several paragraphs

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Catching up on the Direct. Figment wasn't bad, but I'm not particularly looking forward to a second one.

Edit: Well, that's that I guess.

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 15, 2021

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Full list if anyone's curious:

Sea of Stars- JRPG throwback by Messenger people. Looks very good and the music is clearly good. Somehow a prequel. Holiday 2022

Aliisha 3D puzzle platformer? Looks fine. Motion controls and touch screen. It's been a while we've seen that I think. Probably won't bother. Spring 2022

Loco Motive Point and click adventure. Looks cute and quirky if you like the genre. Murder mystery on a train. Summer 2022

River City Girls 2 Beat 'em Up. Looks smooth. I suppose they would've addressed critiques?

Those sound all interesting! I'll keep a look out on those. Also :lol:. I already have the first part of River City Girls. I guess I better try beating it again before the series gets to double-digits

KingSlime posted:

Conservative propaganda in video games is never just a troll, buddy

Like haha check out this hateful and actively harmful rhetoric that we put in here for a joke lol we are such scamps!!

This entire scenario sounds more like a dumb, edgy attempt at humor to me. I mean, you'd have to be a legit lunatic to look at a NPC annoying you with insane rants and go "Yeah, that dumbass-fake shopkeeper sounds like I should build my real life around"

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
the best pokemon fangame is insurgence

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I picked up Shovel Knight Pocket Dungeon blind because I like supporting Yacht Club Games, but unfortunately I don't think it's really my type of game—it's definitely more of a Tetris/falling block game than it is a methodical puzzle game. Turns pass by more slowly as you stand there thinking, but it's still one turn every few seconds, so you don't really have the luxury of time. I find myself panicking a lot and making dumb/sub-optimal moves, sometimes resulting in a death. I think I'm going to have to turn off the permadeath option just so I can see the game all the way through.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Looper posted:

chicory is fantastic, by the same dev as wandersong and even better on every level. hope you can scribble with the touch screen

Seems so.

https://twitter.com/chicory/status/1471176247245955075?s=20

My dumb rear end played through the whole thing scribbling on the PS5 touch pad. Touchscreen will probably feel waaay better. And yes, the game is as twee as that trailer makes it look. You're either in the mood for that or you ain't.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Libluini posted:

This entire scenario sounds more like a dumb, edgy attempt at humor to me. I mean, you'd have to be a legit lunatic to look at a NPC annoying you with insane rants and go "Yeah, that dumbass-fake shopkeeper sounds like I should build my real life around"

You're overthinking their intentions though I didn't help with the word propaganda. It's more of a nod imo. The goal isn't to radicalize people via an obscure indie game, someone over there just wants to let their audience know that they like jp/agree with his rhetoric

It's not really funny enough to be "edgy" then again I remember that game did have pretty terrible dialogue so maybe I'm the one overthinking a lovely non joke

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

KingSlime posted:

You're overthinking their intentions though I didn't help with the word propaganda. It's more of a nod imo. The goal isn't to radicalize people via an obscure indie game, someone over there just wants to let their audience know that they like jp/agree with his rhetoric

It's not really funny enough to be "edgy" then again I remember that game did have pretty terrible dialogue so maybe I'm the one overthinking a lovely non joke

by that logic every goon posting john galt speech is actually agreeing with john galt

that seems very dumb

even dumber than that unknown NPC-programmer, actually

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
the messenger having a bunch of peterson quotes is fail, potentially even cringe. let this be the final word on the matter

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Looper posted:

the messenger having a bunch of peterson quotes is fail, potentially even cringe. let this be the final word on the matter

this, and it's very cheugy too

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Regarding the Messenger, yes the shopkeeper has a bunch of cabinet rants. I'm not particularly familiar with the source material, but one of the rants is attributed to "Jordan the Wise" and seems, in itself, fairly harmless?

I get it--having a bunch of easter-egg dialogue in the game attributed to an individual with bad opinions is not a great look. Overall though the game is apolitical and from the interviews I've read the Sabotage Studio guys are thoughtful and inclusive people. If this alone is worthy of offense then so be it. Otherwise I enjoyed the Messenger and am looking forward to Sea of the Stars.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I, for one, find it hard to believe that people from Quebec of all places would believe in harmful neocon rhetoric.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

McCracAttack posted:

Seems so.

https://twitter.com/chicory/status/1471176247245955075?s=20

My dumb rear end played through the whole thing scribbling on the PS5 touch pad. Touchscreen will probably feel waaay better. And yes, the game is as twee as that trailer makes it look. You're either in the mood for that or you ain't.

This looks interesting. Wandersong is the game I expected to like the least that I ended up liking the most, after picking it at random from my Steam backlog. The trailer for Chicory doesn’t give much sense of what the gameplay is like, I’ll have to find some videos.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

The Pirate Captain posted:

This looks interesting. Wandersong is the game I expected to like the least that I ended up liking the most, after picking it at random from my Steam backlog. The trailer for Chicory doesn’t give much sense of what the gameplay is like, I’ll have to find some videos.

The game world is basically a blank coloring book and you can make stuff happen by coloring in stuff. If you color in crystals in a cave they'll glow and light the way. Coloring in certain plants might make them grow and open a path. A giant bug likes to slurp up color and you can make him move around by drawing a line on the ground. Stuck at a dead end? Paint around and see if you can reveal a secret message in invisible ink.

The NPCs in the game know you can do this (for story reasons) so they they ask you to do lots of video game hero crap like paint their house or design a sign for their donut shop and so-forth. The fact that everyone is so demanding of your magical painting powers is actually a plot beat.

You can also just color stuff to make the world look nicer. I'm not very artistic so I just ended up holding the brush down for a few seconds which turns it into a fill tool.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Full list if anyone's curious:

Sea of Stars- JRPG throwback by Messenger people. Looks very good and the music is clearly good. Somehow a prequel. Holiday 2022

Aliisha 3D puzzle platformer? Looks fine. Motion controls and touch screen. It's been a while we've seen that I think. Probably won't bother. Spring 2022

Loco Motive Point and click adventure. Looks cute and quirky if you like the genre. Murder mystery on a train. Summer 2022

After Love EP Slice of life game? Looks like a visual novel with mini games. The voice acting is grating. Summer 2022

Dungeon Munchies Rogue lite with cooking and tons of items/crafting? Looks gimmicky.

Figment 2: Creed Valley Well the music does nothing for me. Some sort of puzzle adventure where the music is rather present. Free demo.

Let's play Oink Games Multi board game pack. So... Jackinbox or the other board game collection? They seem to be well-known? Available now.

Endling Shelter but with a fox and not a badger or lynx. Like I like the concept but I think I'll be ok. Seems too sad. Can't save a species with 3 siblings though. They're hosed either way!

OlliOlliWorld 2D Skateboarding.

River City Girls 2 Beat 'em Up. Looks smooth. I suppose they would've addressed critiques?

Parkasaurus Dino park Tycoon ! but revamped

Dont Starve Together out on PC. Now on Switch

Chicory: A colorful tale You paint. Looks cute.

Baby Storm A party game? I see no babies

Grime 2D action game. I get Dead Cell Vibes.

Gerda: A flame in Winter: some sort of adventure game.

Timelie: Out today, puzzle platformer. There's a lot of those huh.

Behind the Frame: A visual novel? Life game? You paint?

One more thing:

Omori Spring 2022. I've had my eye on this. A student of mine kept talking to me about it.

For all the "Worst Direct Ever" this one was a bit anticlimatic. I'm happy about Omori, since I've heard about it, but is it really that big of a deal?

Chicory has been on a lot of GOTY lists

sailormoon
Jun 28, 2014

fighting evil by moonlight
winning love by daylight

Is Tales of Vesperia good in 2021? I see it’s on sale and debating on buying it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Whats the fan theory thats so surprising? Bc if its "post-apocalyptic earth" thats just in the game and not actually a theory

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Momomo posted:

I cannot let the demands for rabbit pictures go unfulfilled. Behold the Holland:

Here he is after getting into my game cases. It was a day of destruction.

:allears: I love Dutches!

In return, here's my old man, Ezio! He turned ten last month and he's still his usual self; fingers crossed for several more years. I was fresh out of high school when we got him, and obsessed with Assassin's Creed 2/Brotherhood. Plus I thought "Eagle" was a darkly-hilarious name for a bun.

(He has all four feet, he's just posing weird.)

This year I played 130 hours docked, 7 hours handheld. :dance: I spent 107 hours in Animal Crossing, with Paradise Killer coming in at 17 hours (that was just me finishing it, the rest of the playthrough was in 2020).

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Still no word on Bushiden

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

Whats the fan theory thats so surprising? Bc if its "post-apocalyptic earth" thats just in the game and not actually a theory

The "umibozu" theory.

That whole "thousands of years after a nuclear armageddon" stuff usually kind of puts a chill down my spine, but the "Japanese water demon that possibly takes many forms and causes your ship to crash" is :stare:

And also, I guess I didn't actually beat Pikmin 2, because hoooooly poo poo Louie :wtc:

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Honestly I think The Messenger quoting Jordan Peterson is a lesser sin than turning into a bad metroidvania half way through with no warning whatsoever.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Bleck posted:

I, for one, find it hard to believe that people from Quebec of all places would believe in harmful neocon rhetoric.

And yet they elected Jean Charest... :thunk:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

The "umibozu" theory.

That whole "thousands of years after a nuclear armageddon" stuff usually kind of puts a chill down my spine, but the "Japanese water demon that possibly takes many forms and causes your ship to crash" is :stare:

And also, I guess I didn't actually beat Pikmin 2, because hoooooly poo poo Louie :wtc:

I read the theory and it seems aight but like...can you post like an adult from now on please

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I read the theory and it seems aight but like...can you post like an adult from now on please

Ah yes, forgive me for expressing my reaction to something Nintendo related in the loving Switch thread.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

If I remember correctly some of the challenges were bugged and didn’t give me credit for them back around the time the game launched, so I sort of gave up on them. But they must have been fixed (if they were ever actually broken, I could have imagined that), so I think it’s time to dive back in :dance:

Yeah there was one glitched challenge that took them a good while to patch, but they did eventually.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Haha what the gently caress is this post

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

dr.acula posted:

Still no word on Bushiden
at this point I think it's obvious it'll be released in 2022

it's Humble Games though, they have a stellar track record as publisher so i'm sure they will give a date when it's near

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ah yes, forgive me for expressing my reaction to something Nintendo related in the loving Switch thread.

Use words instead of the lame emojis, is all i ask

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

hahaha jfc

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

also that showcase was fine. idk. endling looked neat, but locomotive is the highlight-- i saw the original game jam version on itch.io last year but this is a huge glow-up by comparison. i love that nintendo's willing to just show a point and click adventure game, something antithetical to a controller-based console. i eat it up, personally

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

:mrgw:

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
As with most directs I saw a number of games I am interested in and I will probably forget about them by the time they are released.

e: :monocle: :spooky: :argh: :(

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

:sidvicious:

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Dec 22, 2021

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004