Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Nemo2342 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8ygQ4x_3Ok

For people who don't follow Marisha on youtube, every week after the episode is uploaded she'll release a highlight real of stuff she found funny or important. I've found they make a nice refresher prior to each new episode, and they're great for picking up things I missed when it aired live.

that's not actually Marisha btw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
My bad; I still really enjoy the recaps though and recommend them.

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB
lol their youtube banner is literally I AM NOT MARISHA RAY

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

After all this insightful discourse it occurs to me that SWANA might not be the Solid Waste Association of North America.

But then again that might just be what this is about.

Cultural appropriation aside I enjoyed S2 and Mrs Mango and I are watching S3 together. So that is cool and good.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Ultimate Mango posted:

After all this insightful discourse it occurs to me that SWANA might not be the Solid Waste Association of North America.

But then again that might just be what this is about.

Cultural appropriation aside I enjoyed S2 and Mrs Mango and I are watching S3 together. So that is cool and good.

SouthWest Asia and North Africa, just for anyone who hasn't yet cottoned on. Basically the regions most heavily influenced by the Arabian Empire and its successors.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Hell hath no fury like a white person offended on behalf of a person of color.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

The only hootin and hollering has been from clowns claiming the mildest criticism imaginable was equivalent to wanting crit role cancelled.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

redbrouw posted:

lol their youtube banner is literally I AM NOT MARISHA RAY

tbf that seems like a marisha move

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Arcsech posted:

Yes. While I’m sure there are valid criticisms, this really feels like yet more of the same old cycle of left-leaning communities cannibalizing themselves over relatively minor differences, because it’s much more satisfying to yell at someone that’s slightly wrong who agrees you might have a point than someone that’s much more in the wrong who’s just going to tell you to go gently caress yourself.

Like, could CR have been slightly more considerate of these issues? Yeah probably. Is this worth even a tiny fraction of the sturm und drang over it when there are vastly more pressing issues? Not really.

It’s people yelling at other people on Twitter. Were there vitally important tweets that didn’t get written because their authors were wasting time on these? Or have you established the “wasting time” part when you mentioned Twitter in the first place?

The “overreacting” accusation could be fair, but it elides the effect of believing you’re in a “safe space” and learning that you aren’t. It’s like spending time in your sympathetic friend group when someone uses a racist phrase unexpectedly that could be (or has been) applied to you. I have met almost no people who fall into minority categories who turn out to be overly sensitive; usually, they are eating poo poo every day and eventually have had enough. Of course they appear to overreact when they arrive at a tipping point: their anger isn’t being directed precisely because it can’t be.

Being dismissive of their experiences adds to the problem. And does America have many “vastly more pressing issues” than our treatment of race, gender, and other identities?

Having a short, honest, and open dialogue and then moving on really doesn’t take that much time or effort than being dismissive. It is bizarre to me that the reaction “why does the C3 generic opening have cast members in pith helmets? WTF?” isn’t even being engaged with by the people determined to police criticisms. Is responding “yep, that’s weird, they were probably thinking Indiana Jones but what has that to do with C3” really that hard? Is an observation that the pith helmets are weird and kinda clueless deserving of the response that this is leftist cannibalism?

We see this cycle repeatedly. Crit Role team does something a bit off or tone-deaf. A subgroup in the community explodes over it, generating an overheated debate in increasingly histrionic terms. Then a second group of fans does the “get a load of these toxic shits” dismissal of the first set. The second group almost always amplifies and repeats the most extreme and toxic criticisms while ignoring or minimizing the more moderate and reasonable criticisms that started the discussion. Then group three enters, suggesting that because the whole conversation turned unreasonable as a consequence of what I’ll call the Twitter engagement cycle, we should stop and dismiss the whole thing. Something minor got blown all out of proportion.

That the Twitter engagement cycle massively amplified the least helpful voices does not prove that the original complaints weren’t deserving of consideration. Amplifying the reasonable voices instead of seizing upon the extremes as an act of dismissal seems like a productive way to counteract the infighting by reminding everyone that we have shared values and concerns; mocking and dismissing one group’s concerns because they are “too sensitive” seems like a refutation of those shared values and concerns.

What upsets me is how the conversation here veered so far from the C3 opening. Does anyone want to mount a serious defense of the deliberate choices made in it? Would anyone be heartbroken if they kept the “at the table” bits and reshot the other segments with 100% less imperialist imagery? (That pencil mixed in with the popcorn flying at Sam is genius, so no touching that.) Are we pretty much in agreement about the basic criticism and instead seeing people push back about the appropriate amount of pissed off people are allowed to be over it? Because that’s a weird place to spend your time when a simple “yeah, they should probably redo part of the intro, that’s not cool” would allow most of us to move on while the toxic minority spend their venom on each other.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Christ not going to read that essay.

But Brian w foster GMing Undeadwood is the best thing CR has done.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Shes Not Impressed posted:

But Brian w foster GMing Undeadwood is the best thing CR has done.

I'm not going to stand for this Deni$e erasure

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Narsham posted:

Is responding “yep, that’s weird, they were probably thinking Indiana Jones but what has that to do with C3” really that hard?
Many people have said basically that exact thing. The costume criticism is valid, but the wild inferences in the original tweet thread like "this just proves they can't respect other cultures enough to reference them in their settings" and "artists from those cultures will now be living under the shadow of Critical Role" just doesn't follow.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Nowhere did I say that people shouldn't complain about whatever gets under their skin, or that bigotry in various forms is not a problem. I even said they probably could have done better! I would be in support of them replacing the potentially-problematic elements of the video! And yes, it's good to understand your own biases and poo poo! But like, dogpiling on an organization that's pretty good on these kind of topics (not perfect! Nobody is perfect on these issues! There is always room to improve!) is not terribly productive. Note that one individual expressing their concerns is not dogpiling, I am not saying the original poster should not have said what they said. But by the time it gets to the point of "yeah Matt says he wants to get out of public view because of the constant harassment", things have gone farther than is really reasonable.

And your post is a really great example of the kind of leftists-eat-their-own-over-minor-differences stuff I was talking about. It's really weirdly aggressive and puts words in my mouth that I did not say at all.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Gotta say, this all has me deeply excited to see how the thread responds to nonholiday off weeks!

I'm guessing tonight will provide momentum on resolving Dorian's arc (and, temporarily, Robbie's guesting), which'll be happening alongside resolving the eXu crew's mission. A man can hope, right?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Paracaidas posted:

Gotta say, this all has me deeply excited to see how the thread responds to nonholiday off weeks!

I'm guessing tonight will provide momentum on resolving Dorian's arc (and, temporarily, Robbie's guesting), which'll be happening alongside resolving the eXu crew's mission. A man can hope, right?

Chutney/Dorian murder/suicide offscreen during the holidays.

Travis returns as I don’t know one of the deadwood characters for a hot minute.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Ultimate Mango posted:

Chutney/Dorian murder/suicide offscreen during the holidays.

Travis returns as I don’t know one of the deadwood characters for a hot minute.

Ahem. Chetney. Otherwise it means that Santa Claus is real in Exandria :v:

I'm torn though between Travis' character dying every few episodes just for him to trot out another one-shot character vs Chetney trolling the cast for a whole campaign...

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB
I think Chet is going to get tiresome really quickly.

Quixote
Feb 22, 2005

Hulk Smash! posted:

I'm torn though between Travis' character dying every few episodes just for him to trot out another one-shot character vs Chetney trolling the cast for a whole campaign...

His eyes really lit up when the drummer from Spinal Tap was mentioned! Travis really wanting to play an old person to avoid all romance options and have them die non-stop would be amazing.

redbrouw posted:

He had like 180 seconds of screen time and already "You were in MY brain! I should insight you!" was the best line of the episode. I think Chet will be the opposite and shine the entire time.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

redbrouw posted:

I trust in Travis to know how and when to deploy maximum trollage without it overstaying its welcome, so he'll probably be relatively normal until he sees a good opportunity.

e: This is also what people said about FCG and he's still awesome. Gotta believe in the crew.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

like two years from now people are gonna be cryin' over chetney's plot lol

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Chetney will probably be fine as long as the other players at least try to take him seriously and don't treat him like just another joke character.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
This is the same person who drove the comedic timing of Grog for years. I have absolute total faith that Travis will know when and how to use Chetney for maximum effect without ever wearing thin the gimmick.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Grog and Taryon going shopping together and the comedy of errors that occurs very fast is still one of the best scenes in the entire show and never fails to make me laugh.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Quixote posted:

His eyes really lit up when the drummer from Spinal Tap was mentioned! Travis really wanting to play an old person to avoid all romance options and have them die non-stop would be amazing.

He had like 180 seconds of screen time and already "You were in MY brain! I should insight you!" was the best line of the episode. I think Chet will be the opposite and shine the entire time.

Sorry, but Fearne’s indignant “Yes, a crime scene that I made” was the best line of the night.

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi

Pleads posted:

I trust in Travis to know how and when to deploy maximum trollage without it overstaying its welcome, so he'll probably be relatively normal until he sees a good opportunity.

e: This is also what people said about FCG and he's still awesome. Gotta believe in the crew.

Still not a fan of FCG. Feels too gimmicky still. Maybe that’ll change a bit if we know more about the class, but yeah, not for my tastes…

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Nemo2342 posted:

Sorry, but Fearne’s indignant “Yes, a crime scene that I made” was the best line of the night.

Ashley has had some killer lines this season

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Pattonesque posted:

Ashley has had some killer lines this season

Really glad that Fearne let’s her shine, she’s been hysterical in ways that we’re only hinted at with Pike and Yasha.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

TotalHell posted:

Really glad that Fearne let’s her shine, she’s been hysterical in ways that we’re only hinted at with Pike and Yasha.

I feel like we don't talk enough about how good Ashley is at trolling everyone around her

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Fearne:Ashley::Jester:Laura

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

DarklyDreaming posted:

I feel like we don't talk enough about how good Ashley is at trolling everyone around her

"Well don't get on my rear end about it"

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Honestly, I would be okay with Travis playing a long series of characters who show up for a handful of episodes and get killed.

Quixote
Feb 22, 2005
:siren: New episode starting warning sirens :siren:

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

He brings in Macaroni Samsonite with the plan to die ASAP because he doesn't want to try do that voice for multiple episodes

The others troll him back by making drat sure he stays alive till the end of the campaign

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Quixote posted:

Just enough time for us to argue about costuming again!

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Quixote posted:

It's episode 8!!!

Quixote posted:

Quixote
Feb 22, 2005

Nemo2342 posted:

Just enough time for us to argue about costuming again!

Hurry up and establish the characters already so they can do a cooler animated intro

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Do you (Old) Spice?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Quixote posted:

Hurry up and establish the characters already so they can do a cooler animated intro

Probably waiting for when Travis can finally play The Anger to finalise stuff for that

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Old Spice Witcher scents?

That's a niche market segment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Whatever that was just traumatized Laura.