Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Hogfather is a good book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

lament.cfg posted:

I thought it was 4’. This is very disturbing.

I'm six foot, four inches

those are two measurements

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-
https://twitter.com/Fred_Delicious/status/1471222126136987659

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

John Lee posted:

My SO insisted repeatedly that I was no more than 5'9". I had to pull out TWO driver's licenses, one of them expired, one saying six foot one saying six foot one, before she'd drop it.

So you showed her 2 incorrect forms of ID instead of getting out a measuring tape? OK shorty we all definitely believe you're 6ft.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

https://twitter.com/WillieMcNabb/status/1158045307562856448?t=2hEjW7b_7ZFuz74C5TxUPA&s=19

the prophecy... has been fulfilled

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Never thought it would be a legit concern, but mea culpa. I live on the third floor so I think I'm still safe, but if I lived in a ground level place I would definitely buy an AR 15 and a bumpstock. If I had kids I'd buy 2.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Skwirl posted:

Never thought it would be a legit concern, but mea culpa. I live on the third floor so I think I'm still safe, but if I lived in a ground level place I would definitely buy an AR 15 and a bumpstock. If I had kids I'd buy 2.

i love the picture he paints... going mandalay bay on a flood of hogs mobbing his children like scarab beetles in "the mummy" and somehow avoiding exploding his kids' heads like ripe cantaloupes as they cavort carefree amongst a storm of hog blood and bone.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

I'm convinced the current height exaggeration is because of Tinder/Hinge/whatever, where there's a real or perceived height bias, but since hardly anyone actually cares about absolute height it never gets challenged. The people who do care about height mostly just want to be shorter/taller than their partner.

It's pretty bonkers how widespread it's become.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Trapick posted:

I'm convinced the current height exaggeration is because of Tinder/Hinge/whatever, where there's a real or perceived height bias, but since hardly anyone actually cares about absolute height it never gets challenged. The people who do care about height mostly just want to be shorter/taller than their partner.

It's been a thing since long before the internet.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

going mandalay bay

Is... is this a reference to the Vegas shooting? Because Dude.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Trapick posted:

I can spin my tongue in circles while applying pressure for 30 minutes. Also I’m 5’7”.

*notifications scroll*

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ah, I see we have a fan of prewar Italian naval architecture.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Trapick posted:

https://theblog.okcupid.com/the-big-lies-people-tell-in-online-dating-a9e3990d6ae2

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Inceltown posted:

It's been a thing since long before the internet.
Oh for sure, I just think it's getting more widespread. This is just anecdotal but I hear way more about height preferences and people lying about height than 15 years ago, when online dating was a thing but not nearly as ubiquitous.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

i love the picture he paints... going mandalay bay on a flood of hogs mobbing his children like scarab beetles in "the mummy" and somehow avoiding exploding his kids' heads like ripe cantaloupes as they cavort carefree amongst a storm of hog blood and bone.

The guy who made that tweet was interviewed by ... Reply All? I think? Some podcast. Anyway, he actually had a really great sense of humor about all of the mockery that tweet received. He knows it sounds ridiculous. But he wasn't joking. poo poo's really a problem.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Fantastic. Now I’m wandering around the house muttering “pigloos”

Also if you actually weirdly talk, be prepared for strangers to ask you your height constantly and then compare you to “someone they know who is taller” like it’s some sort of weird heirarchy.

Frank Frank has a new favorite as of 03:56 on Dec 16, 2021

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Some apps ask you to list height. The topic isn't avoidable. Height factors into physical attraction, so people lie, just like they do about weight. I'm short and I know it limits my dating pool. It is a bummer, but I swipe left on women I'm not attracted to all the time.

We're dumb, horny animals. Roll with it.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Toaster Beef posted:

The guy who made that tweet was interviewed by ... Reply All? I think? Some podcast. Anyway, he actually had a really great sense of humor about all of the mockery that tweet received. He knows it sounds ridiculous. But he wasn't joking. poo poo's really a problem.

Yeah I believe it was reply all and it was a pretty good episode.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

deoju posted:

I swipe left on women I'm not attracted to all the time.

We're dumb, horny animals. Roll with it.

May I suggest Grindr then.

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0
as a 6'3" trans woman, i would like to put a foot of height on offer to anyone who wants it so i can be smol

Trapick posted:

Oh for sure, I just think it's getting more widespread. This is just anecdotal but I hear way more about height preferences and people lying about height than 15 years ago, when online dating was a thing but not nearly as ubiquitous.

not only is it anecdotal, it's also likely confirmation bias. data that isn't empirically verified is always worthless because humans have flawed brains and we gently caress poo poo up.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Chloe Jessica posted:

as a 6'3" trans woman, i would like to put a foot of height on offer to anyone who wants it so i can be smol

not only is it anecdotal, it's also likely confirmation bias. data that isn't empirically verified is always worthless because humans have flawed brains and we gently caress poo poo up.

You gotta spread that around, I'm 6'1" and I would rather be 5'1" than 7'1". I'll take a couple inches off your hands, but there's a lot to go around.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Of course there are some women out there who are way into tall guys, but the perception that most of them have hard and fast minimum height requirements probably come from incels forums. It's like when they started hyper fixating on how thin their wrists are. TBH I didn't really hear about it until about 4 or 5 years ago. I've never really considered it a factor in my dating life.

Here's some content:
https://twitter.com/Eve6/status/1470946123321856002?t=-sb7WDS4o5B7f9DSWrJ4lQ&s=19

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Chloe Jessica posted:

I feel you there. But even outside of dysphoria poo poo being above average height sucks. I'm only 6'1" and I've never had an apartment where the countertops are tall enough. I'm sure my posture would be poo poo regardless, but having to slouch to cook dinner certainly doesn't help.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

After not going to the doctor in over a decade because of no health insurance I went a couple of years ago and they told me I was 6ft. I thought that was weird and wrong because I had always been 6'2. My wife said I probably was just always wrong or had the initial measurement done wrong after I stopped growing. I was insistent that I used to be 6'2. Cue me looking like the Charlie jpg from It's Always Sunny as I poured over old stuff for evidence. I was able to confirm that I was actually 6'2 using a combination of old medical records and numerous photos where I was standing next to something I knew the height of. Turns out over a decade of desk jobs with terrible posture and some other medical stuff meant I lost two inches of height.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Things are starting to make sense.

D-Pad posted:

Turns out over a decade of desk jobs with terrible posture and some other medical stuff meant I lost two inches of height.

Buddy, if you really want to cook your noodle, have someone measure your height when you first wake up in the morning then again before you go to bed. You won't get the same numbers.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I'm a 5'6" cis male and let me tell you, I'll happily put up with all the short jokes since I get the privilege of living in a world designed for someone roughly my height.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I'm 6'1 and bald which means about once a week a new bleeding gash appears on my head as if by magic

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

D-Pad posted:

I was able to confirm that I was actually 6'2 using a combination of old medical records and numerous photos where I was standing next to something I knew the height of.

You couldn't have just used a tape measure?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

grittyreboot posted:

You couldn't have just used a tape measure?

If you've got a tape measure that can see backwards in time could you confirm all that nonsense about Napoleon for us?

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Poops Mcgoots posted:

I'm a 5'6" cis male and let me tell you, I'll happily put up with all the short jokes since I get the privilege of living in a world designed for someone roughly my height.
Exactly this, nothing better than comfortably sitting in an airplane with plenty of legroom laughing at the giants.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

https://twitter.com/MNateShyamalan/status/1470769102046339073

Benagain posted:

I'm 6'1 and bald which means about once a week a new bleeding gash appears on my head as if by magic

if you're 5'10"-5'11" like me you can go to japan and get the same experience. old doorways are like exactly 180cm (70.9 inches) and hunger for gaijin scalps

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://twitter.com/tanisthelesbiab/status/1471333657189048320

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Why the gently caress doesn't this have more love

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

dialhforhero posted:

I used to be 6’ exactly. Now I am about 5’3/4” due to back problems and discs becoming flatbois. :smith:

Did you mean 5'11 3/4" or did you have your shins shot off in a war?

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

im 6'4 and i know it's true because people ask me to get things off shelves at grocery stores

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

I remember when this first did the rounds and people pointed out that, rather than being random numbers, 30 to 50 and 3 to 5 could be a bit of sneaky "88" white supremacist signalling, especially with the "I need a big gun to protect my children from marauding bad animals" bit.

I genuinely don't know if that's true, or whether it's basically numerology, but I do know that part of the "fun" for these terminally-online alt-right shitstains is making people think they're seeing secret Hitler codes to "trigger the normies" or whatever, as well as actually sharing things with 1488 etc in. Like how the OK sign started as a "lol let's pretend this is is a thing" and then became...a thing.

Like I say, it could just be a coincidence, but it just makes me a bit cagey.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Flint_Paper posted:

I remember when this first did the rounds and people pointed out that, rather than being random numbers, 30 to 50 and 3 to 5 could be a bit of sneaky "88" white supremacist signalling, especially with the "I need a big gun to protect my children from marauding bad animals" bit.

I genuinely don't know if that's true, or whether it's basically numerology, but I do know that part of the "fun" for these terminally-online alt-right shitstains is making people think they're seeing secret Hitler codes to "trigger the normies" or whatever, as well as actually sharing things with 1488 etc in. Like how the OK sign started as a "lol let's pretend this is is a thing" and then became...a thing.

Like I say, it could just be a coincidence, but it just makes me a bit cagey.

One of my friends has 88h as an ID tag for their work. I know for a fact that it's an automatically assigned string, but it still makes me raise an eyebrow when I see it.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Karia posted:

I feel you there. But even outside of dysphoria poo poo being above average height sucks. I'm only 6'1" and I've never had an apartment where the countertops are tall enough. I'm sure my posture would be poo poo regardless, but having to slouch to cook dinner certainly doesn't help.

The greatest thing that ever happened to me was being able to build a house with counters, shelves, and doors big enough for me (6'5") to work at without crouching over. Everyone who comes to my house pauses at the door for a second to just marvel at it. Absolutely fantastic.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

IshmaelZarkov posted:

The greatest thing that ever happened to me was being able to build a house with counters, shelves, and doors big enough for me (6'5") to work at without crouching over. Everyone who comes to my house pauses at the door for a second to just marvel at it. Absolutely fantastic.

I am extremely envious. I salute you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Reply All did a story about the feral hogs tweet, they found the guy and he is actually super chill. there is a legitimate feral hog problem in a lot of rural areas though. Like tens of thousands of animals that weigh hundreds of pounds who will absolutely gently caress you up if they feel trapped and threatened. They destroy crops and cause erosion and multiply exceptionally fast and are just insanely invasive animals. In the podcast they interviewed several serious smart sounding scientists and ecologists all saying that you couldn’t eradicate them if you tried. It’s actually a problem.