Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

some kids are just duds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

It's alright, it's just his practice kid. He can sppeedrun the estrangement on this one then have another one with his new/real family.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for telling my son I will never again attend his honor society ceremony?
Pick your loving battles, jesus christ. Why do people do this.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for not inviting my brother-in-law to my siblings dinner?

quote:

I, 29 (F) live in Paris. I have 3 siblings, 2 of which live in other parts of France, and my other sibling lives in LA. We haven't seen our sibling who lives in the States in over 3 years because of the pandemic.

In the past 3 years, my partner (M) has never met my sister who lives in LA. She will be visiting Paris next year for 10 days with her husband who also lives in LA with her.

I have been planning a dinner with my partner's siblings to meet my siblings as they haven't met much of my family before, because we are dispersed globally. I told my sister who lives in LA that this dinner is for siblings only, and would like no plus-ones, as I only want an intimate dinner.

She has now refused to come unless her husband is invited as well, and is insistent that he must attend. I have told her that her husband can meet my partner separately on a double date, but she says they don't have the time so I'm stuck. Am I in the wrong? Am I being unreasonable?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Biplane posted:

Per that dudes post, he and the mom tried helping the kid by making him run off energy, and when that didn't work they became alcoholics. I feel confident in saying the parents are the assholes here.

Yeah, there's very 'We've tried nothin' and we're all outta ideas!' energy.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for yelling at mom for doing something that could get me fired?

quote:

I (22F) got my first job in the film industry. I have told my parents multiple times they cannot share anything about my job with anyone as I signed an NDA. I don’t tell them top secret info but I have told them what the movie name is and the stars of the movie as they ask me about my job often. All of that info is available online via entertainment websites. The NDA says we can’t even say we work on the movie on IMDB or LinkedIn until after it comes out, but a handful of people have already disregarded that and nothing has happened. I think essentially the studio will only do something if you spoil the plot or post images of sets and stuff.

My mom sent out a Christmas card with a letter about me and my siblings lives and in it says I’m working on X movie. I called her and started yelling saying if someone posts an image of that letter I’d be fired. The thing is they wouldn’t find it and if they did I doubt I’d be fired after seeing the lack of reaction to other people, but I don’t like risking it. I already know on future jobs I will tell my family nothing, but my dad said my mom was really mad at me. AITA for yelling at my mom? I know it wasn’t nefarious and she’s just proud, but I have told them to keep it a secret.

Will get in trouble if anyone knows Secret. Of course I tell family Secret!

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Evil Willow posted:

yes, this woman is dumb.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Cowslips Warren posted:

How dare you be mad at me because I’m too stupid or disinterested to understand why you’re mad at me!

Wanna know how much this dude is on the hook for child support

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Cowslips Warren posted:

two people can keep a secret if one of 'em's dead, buddy. If you really want that job you know what you gotta do

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Evil Willow posted:

Im surprised she allows even non-parisians to the meal

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Barudak posted:

Im surprised she allows even non-parisians to the meal

She doesn’t want to invite the husband because then the sister will know how much the bill is before it gets their

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Ziv Zulander posted:

She doesn’t want to invite the husband because then the sister will know how much the bill is before it gets their

This is a great throwback. I wonder what a restaurant that does that with the special menus would do if it was two lesbians on a date. Do they just eat for free?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

This is a great throwback. I wonder what a restaurant that does that with the special menus would do if it was two lesbians on a date. Do they just eat for free?

Any restaurant backwards enough to do that but progressive enough ti seat them will assign one of them a role as the man.

The "You Tried" of bigotry

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
The only time I’ve ever encountered it was when my wife put together a birthday dinner for me at a reasonably fancy restaurant. She got a menu with pricing, everyone else, including me, got a so-called “blind” menu.

For hosted group events like that, it makes sense. But for dates, it’s a recipe for disaster - just depends on whether the restaurant or the customer decides to be sexist.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Wanna know how much this dude is on the hook for child support

I hear tell of these things called "jokes", where the Absurd, often fabricated, is presented to delight and vex

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Mr. Lobe posted:

I hear tell of these things called "jokes", where the Absurd, often fabricated, is presented to delight and vex

bite your tongue! who taught you that word? blaspheme!

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Why won’t my parents honor the NDA that I broke?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Cowslips Warren posted:

It probably doesn’t apply to movie industry drones (because they have no rights), but jobs with actual important secrets, like undercover police work or secret government research or whatever, have whole processes in place for telling your loved ones and letting them know what they can and cannot share.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

It probably doesn’t apply to movie industry drones (because they have no rights), but jobs with actual important secrets, like undercover police work or secret government research or whatever, have whole processes in place for telling your loved ones and letting them know what they can and cannot share.

"You work for the department of agriculture. You study corn tassel volatility in the northern great plains region. If anyone asks you for more detail say it will all be available in the quarterly government report but you can't share more.

Now, we need you to strap into the psychoprojector and do battle with shadow men from beyond mars and save this country"

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

pentyne posted:

I mean, "arguing about discipline" is mostly likely one of the parents wants to beat the poo poo out of the kid to make him act right, and good money is on the OP if he thinks that kind of tough love honesty to a 12 year old is appropriate.

I don't know about that, the part with the dad having majority custody during the separation because the mom cannot tolerate the kid enough for equal split jumped out at me a bit.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

AITA For telling my son that he is the reason me and his mother are getting divorced?

:owned:

Wow, the child of two warring alcoholics has anger issues? quelle surprise

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Evil Willow posted:

:stare:

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
Regarding gold allergies.....

AITA For asking for a different engagement ring that’s rather expensive?

quote:

My (30m) partner and I (22f) have been together over 2 years and I have never been the type to be concerned about money. My engagement ring is beautiful and I adore it that is not the issue.

I have recently discovered I have a nickel allergy. I thought it was ring rash at first and left it for a while but now my ring finger is severely red, swollen, and burning. It’s to the point I can barley put my rings on. It has also spread to middle and pinkie finger on my left hand.

I began researching rings that are nickel free and the only way to guarantee it doesn’t contain my allergen is by getting 24k gold or platinum. For those who don’t know about jewelry that is at least 3 to 5 grand. I told him about this and how I knew it would be a lot to save and I will happily wear my silicone workout band until then, but I really want a real ring he picked out to wear. He got a bit upset (not yelling or anything he’s a very great guy) and thinks it’s just me wanting something more extravagant and not appreciating what he worked for already.

I’m beginning to regret even asking and just truly wandering am I being an rear end in a top hat?

Update: thank you for all the comments especially the ones offering other options. I was truly not expecting to get as many comments as I did. I just got done talking to him and he apologized for not taking the allergy seriously he was just shocked by the amount. I’m gonna go ringless until this all heals up and wear my silicone while we look at titanium and wood options. We were going to look into a lower gold but since I’ve seen comments about other people having gold allergies were gonna avoid that since I want to wear it daily for years. I will admit I was a bit of the rear end in a top hat since I didn’t think to look more online and listened to a salesman first. He also wants us to look into low cost allergy treatments that aren’t directly through the doctor. Thank you all again.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Glad that one had a happy ending.

I think an overlooked factor in people going absolutely insane over weddings is that there's entire industries dedicated to specifically encouraging them to do so.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Its hard too, because you're told all the time that "Wedding poo poo Is Expensive" and then when the nice caterer breaks it down for you and says "Really, its only $35/head" and you think "35 sounds reasonable given that there's apps, salad, entree, dessert" and then you remember you're marrying into a catholic family and there's easily 8000 people on his side and then poo poo gets dark.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm just thinking a certain sketch that just spelled it all out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gimiDBAK2wA

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for refusing to speak to my mother since thanksgiving

quote:

So I, 23F, haven’t spoken to my mom, 45F, since Thanksgiving because of her new husband, 37M. Both me and my mother have a migraine condition that literally puts us out of commission until it’s gone. I’m talking not even able to drink water because I’ll throw it up, moving to a different position in bed is sometimes too much for me.

On Thanksgiving I was at work and had to leave early because I got a migraine and I was barely able to drive myself home. I had texted my mom letting her know I probably wasn’t going to make it because I had a migraine; normally they last all day. At 11am she said “lay down for a couple hours and see how you feel.” I went home, went to sleep, and woke up to messages from her husband screaming at me.

At 2pm I got a couple texts from him saying if I didn’t come today for dinner I wouldn’t be welcome in their house anymore and that my mom was a mess around the holidays and I know why. I also got a voicemail after multiple missed called telling me to pick up my phone, gently caress my headache, and get my rear end down there because I owe her at least that.

At 5pm I got these texts “fine. Have it your way….” “starting next month you will need your own insurance. You will be taken off the policy 12/24” regarding me being on my mom’s car insurance. I understand why the holidays are tough for my mom especially because my grandma passed away last year. I just moved into my own apartment in July so since then I’ve seen her 3 or 4 times, including her birthday which I hosted.

My issue is: I wasn’t invited to thanksgiving dinner. I had to text her that morning before work and ask her if I should come over. Also, we share the same migraine condition and I only did what she told me to do which she should understand. I don’t control how long I sleep when I have a migraine.

I was planning on going over after I woke up, and I didn’t wake up until 6:30 at which point reading those texts and listening to that voicemail made me not want to come at all. I called her and told her I just woke up and was upset because of what her husband said. She didn’t know he had sent those messages to me so I told her to check his phone and that I wanted an apology.

The only response I get from her the next day is just repeating what her husband said about the insurance (which had never been brought up until then and they have more than enough money for their bills). I said okay and got my own car insurance that night and let her know. She said “okay I love you” and I replied with “that’s nice I’m still waiting for an apology.”

Since then she’s tried to text me and I’ve left her on read for each message. Today, she came to my house wanting to talk and I refused to let her in and told her to leave. I still haven’t gotten an apology from them. My friends and my uncle (mom’s brother) tell me I’m not in the wrong but I still kind of feel bad and I’m not sure if I’m taking putting up boundaries too far. Am I the rear end in a top hat?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Mx. posted:

I mean... if you're demanding an apology but then refusing to speak to the person you want an apology from or read their texts, I guess you don't actually want an apology?

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Fil5000 posted:

I mean... if you're demanding an apology but then refusing to speak to the person you want an apology from or read their texts, I guess you don't actually want an apology?

I think she wants an apology from the stepdad

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Fil5000 posted:

ok boomer, you see, "left on read" means read but not responded to.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Mx. posted:

I’ve only had two serious migraines in my life, and anyone that thinks you can just walk that poo poo off can get hosed sideways.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Xakura posted:

ok boomer, you see, "left on read" means read but not responded to.

Ok, I get THAT but then sending them away at the door seems pointless.

Armitag3 posted:

I think she wants an apology from the stepdad

Ahhh, I totally misread it as wanting one from the mum. My bad.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Mom just wants to make it go away instead of doing anything about the shitheap she married taking it upon himself to be a lovely little dictator.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
Saying you won't talk to one person before a different person apologizes to you sucks, though. I think it matters what her mother said in those texts, and we aren't told.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

It’s not a different person, it’s her spouse

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

I’ve only had two serious migraines in my life, and anyone that thinks you can just walk that poo poo off can get hosed sideways.

I had my first migraine ever a couple of weeks ago, and if someone had told me to just man up and walk it off you pussy, I would probably have attacked them... if I was able to walk straight, and see them, and not in crippling pain.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Whorelord posted:

AITA for putting over a hundred cockroaches in my parents bed?

quote:

Update 2: some info - they own the house, it’s a freestanding large home in a gated community, and my parents make a ton of money so unless they have secret debt then they’re fine financially.

Rich people living in a gated community. rear end in a top hat-o-meter is going wild.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

His Divine Shadow posted:

Rich people living in a gated community. rear end in a top hat-o-meter is going wild.

quote:

I think that would actually kill him to have to get rid of things. My mom and I once went and decluttered a bit and he major freaked out because he noticed stuff was gone, we only got ride of like papers and old mail and stuff not even anything big. Now he locks his office so we can't go in there and move anything even though that's not where we cleaned because we knew that would extra freak him out.

quote:

mom my actually said at first that cockroaches don't come in gated communities and that's why they also don't do flea/tick stuff for the dog

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Fil5000 posted:

Ok, I get THAT but then sending them away at the door seems pointless.

If the mom had any intention of apologizing on her husband’s behalf or otherwise talk in a way that didn’t involve just pretending he wasn’t a piece of poo poo, she had plenty of opportunity to communicate that before being sent away.

Like we can assume the OP is being deliberately cagey and hasn’t actually communicated that she is willing to talk once an effort to apologize has been made, but it’s hard to infer from a body of text where she explicitly says she made it clear at least once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
AITA for telling my mom about a message her bf sent me

quote:

For context, I (20f) received a text late last night from my moms (57f) bf (53m). They’ve been together for a few months and mostly it’s been good, but there have been a few fights here and there. For example, a month or so ago, he was making jabs about my moms weight and that really hurt her feelings, and frankly, really pissed me off. But he apologized and we moved past it, or so I thought.

The other morning, they were arguing before they went to work and I asked her later that day when she got home what the argument was about. She told me he had gone through her phone and that really upset her because it was a breach of trust. I understood, and I left it that.

However, last night he sent me a message around midnight out of blue. It was pretty long and kind of convoluted, but he basically said that while he was surprised my mom was a “BBW” when they first met because her photos were “so beautiful”, he’s grown to love her as a person, inside and out, the more he’s got to know her. Already a weird start, but bear with me. He then went on to say that he needed me to know the truth, and that my mom was actually cheating on him, and that he loved her, but didn’t trust her.

Now for today, and the reason I’m asking if I’m TA. This morning, I showed my mom the message, and she got really angry and showed me proof that he was lying, and that he went through her phone for 5 hours straight while she was sleeping and found nothing but messages to an old hookup from 6 months ago, before they got together. He then pretended to be my mom to this guy and see if he could get info out of him, which was really weird in my opinion, and also, he got nothing.

She ended up breaking up with him for trying to come between us and lying to me about her, but I don’t know if I was out of line for telling my mom or potentially being the catalyst to their breakup, even if he was lying. AITA?

Edit: I forgot to mention that in the message, he also brought up his ED and that maybe if he was “able to have sex with her” that “she wouldn’t have looked elsewhere.” Which, she didn’t, and also, your ED is none of my business.