Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Backed! You’re welcome :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.

BrainParasite posted:

Hallucinogenic piss is a real thing

We've all read Exalted.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

I'm still trying to forget I did

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Protesting "Why would somebody presume a dungeon might contain a sexual fantasy?!" is just willfully ignoring context for the sake of combat at this point.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
On the other hand, "if someone likes something and I don't understand why, it must be a sex thing" is not a good principle.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
I fully buy it wasn't meant as a fetish, and someone who isn't internet poisoned probably wouldn't immediately go there. It still comes across as likely to derail as purile vs scary though. It's pretty easy to still keep the weirdness, horror, and grossness they wanted without the piss thing though. Just make it secretions. So they're milking the godling for bug juice. Hopefully the next revision removes the lamb from the whizzard's magical realm.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Coolness Averted posted:

I fully buy it wasn't meant as a fetish, and someone who isn't internet poisoned probably wouldn't immediately go there. It still comes across as likely to derail as purile vs scary though.
I submit that, as with many elements of RPGs, this is a question of having a group that buys into the tone. You don't play a game that involves peaceful negotiation between different races with a group that's apt to go "kill the scaleskins and take their loot" and you don't play a game that involves cults worshipping a godlike creature's least aspects with a group that's apt to go "lol ew the cultists are drinking pee pee".

I feel like the tone of this thing is extremely in the vein of Bloodborne and I think Bloodborne would have been a lesser game if a slew of beta testers had said "the blood thing is really gross, can't it just be runes or spells?"

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

My Lovely Horse posted:

I submit that, as with many elements of RPGs, this is a question of having a group that buys into the tone. You don't play a game that involves peaceful negotiation between different races with a group that's apt to go "kill the scaleskins and take their loot" and you don't play a game that involves cults worshipping a godlike creature's least aspects with a group that's apt to go "lol ew the cultists are drinking pee pee".

I feel like the tone of this thing is extremely in the vein of Bloodborne and I think Bloodborne would have been a lesser game if a slew of beta testers had said "the blood thing is really gross, can't it just be runes or spells?"
And I'd say if Bloodborne was about the old piss, and had factions like the vile piss, fewer people would take it seriously.
Part of choosing tone is also realizing when elements are too goofy to be taken seriously.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

and you don't play a game that involves cults worshipping a godlike creature's least aspects with a group that's apt to go "lol ew the cultists are drinking pee pee".

actually that sounds like a great thing to do

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Caryll, the beta tester.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

DalaranJ posted:

Caryll, the beta tester.

:wow:

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Subjunctive posted:

Backer #1! I am so into this.

CitizenKeen posted:

I don't know what number backer I am, but I'll put your book on my shelf.

best bale posted:

Backed! You’re welcome :smuggo:

Thank you all! And please everyone, whether you back or not, if you're active on other forums or reddit or wherever, let people know about the kickstarter!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Coolness Averted posted:

And I'd say if Bloodborne was about the old piss, and had factions like the vile piss, fewer people would take it seriously.
Part of choosing tone is also realizing when elements are too goofy to be taken seriously.

Isn't this just Binding of Isaac?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I think it's probably possible to be sexual and gross on purpose without it being some kind of masturbatory exercise. Seems like a pretty common thing in a few genres. I am sure somebody out there has jerked it to the concept of The Milk of the Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young turning people into monsters, but I don't think that means whoever came up with it did so. Of course, it's cool for people not to want anything like that in their games. Piss is an especially bad choice because it sounds so juvenile.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Is horny the first thing you think of when you hear LSD piss? Is it because of the meme? I can't tell if we're doing a bit or if everyone's first thought when looking at the monster description that it was secretly a piss play fetish. I don't think I'm that naive, but my first instinct was not "Wow, could you imagine someone jerking off to this? Like could you imagine someone else getting turned on by this and exposing everyone else to their fetish, what a sicko that author is."

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The windmills have stopped working and the sailships are dead in the water, we are doomed, brave adventurers, unless you feed these magic beans to the wind dragon and

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

but yeah in my mind the scenario is less like "you peer behind the curtain and to your horror the god beast is peeing all over the cultists from its eldritch weewee while they frolic in it" but more long-term esablishing there's a cult, there's their cult drug, there's their god beast, and let the players come to the conclusion that the cultists most holy sacrament is nothing but their god's bodily waste, without ever stating it directly. Not so much "the cultists are weird and gross and so is the DM and the author" but "the cultists are deranged and delusional and sad".

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

My Lovely Horse posted:

but yeah in my mind the scenario is less like "you peer behind the curtain and to your horror the god beast is peeing all over the cultists from its eldritch weewee while they frolic in it" but more long-term esablishing there's a cult, there's their cult drug, there's their god beast, and let the players come to the conclusion that the cultists most holy sacrament is nothing but their god's bodily waste, without ever stating it directly. Not so much "the cultists are weird and gross and so is the DM and the author" but "the cultists are deranged and delusional and sad".

Basically nailed it. Honestly I've read the whole adventure a couple times and didn't even remember there was urine in it at all until this thread reminded me. It's in one room, the word "urine" appears in the PDF twice, and it's 100% possible for the players to never even put together that it's urine. It's pretty clear that an initial disgusted shock followed by "oh these guys are deranged and delusional and sad" is the exact thing the author is going for by including it.

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Dec 17, 2021

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Dune would probably be less successful if Stilgar said "Bless the Maker and his pee, may his pee make us trip balls and let us see the future, bilal kaifa."

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Maybe people are just a bit primed to find fetish stuff in OSR and OSR adjacent games because LotFP is one of the bigger names on the market.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Terrible Opinions posted:

Maybe people are just a bit primed to find fetish stuff in OSR and OSR adjacent games because LotFP is one of the bigger names on the market.

Also the piss wizard is literally a gang-tag here.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Terrible Opinions posted:

I don't think LotFP has been one of the most popular or best selling OSR systems for years now, it's been replaced by OSE/Troika/other stuff I can't remember off the top of my head.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I think that sometimes a gross piss monster is just there to be a gross piss monster because piss is gross. It's not all that different from the endless plethora of sewer levels in videogames in my mind. Here's a gross place filled with disgusting stuff that you personally wouldn't want to interact with and neither does your character. Really that's the premise of the otyugh, isn't it. Trash is also something people generally don't want to be around and the otyugh plays with that sense of revulsion.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
lotfp is literally publishing grimoires now anyway

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Arivia posted:

I don't think LotFP has been one of the most popular or best selling OSR systems for years now, it's been replaced by OSE/Troika/other stuff I can't remember off the top of my head.
It very well might have fallen off in sales and if so that's great, it's just well known enough for everyone who has an interest in OSR to still have it in memory. Particularly among the general population of TG posters on SA.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Serf posted:

I think that sometimes a gross piss monster is just there to be a gross piss monster because piss is gross. It's not all that different from the endless plethora of sewer levels in videogames in my mind. Here's a gross place filled with disgusting stuff that you personally wouldn't want to interact with and neither does your character. Really that's the premise of the otyugh, isn't it. Trash is also something people generally don't want to be around and the otyugh plays with that sense of revulsion.

on one hand, the Great Mighty Poo from Conker's Bad Fur Day might just be a poop joke and not fetish stuff. On the other, the game is made by British developers.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Halloween Jack posted:

Dune would probably be less successful if Stilgar said "Bless the Maker and his pee, may his pee make us trip balls and let us see the future, bilal kaifa."

The stillsuit is stated to recycle your pee, though. Which you then drink.

Not directed at you but if the thing says "piss" then yes, that is very juvenile, but I'm pretty sure the book doesn't say piss and pee and wee all the time and if the word urine or thinking about that makes you go "pee pee doo doo heheheh" then yeah, you can't play the module because you're 9 years old.

Like yeah, Bloodborne but they talk about the Old Piss would be bad. Bloodborne but they talk about the Old Fluids? Seems fine to me, not as punchy as the Old Blood and no immediately obvious metaphor, but it also not immediately giggle worthy either.

EthanSteele fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Dec 17, 2021

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
what if it was blue piss instead of blue blood

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

My Lovely Horse posted:

Yeah you do get a slightly different vibe on that particular nuance, in a way that "secretions" (alien, weird, perhaps legitimately a drug?) or "blood" (established hardcore but legitimate avenue of communion and symbolism) do not.

I figure blood has a different set of semiotics, so to speak, than various other fluids. You rarely hear about the bile or the phlegm compared to blood.

Octavo
Feb 11, 2019

EthanSteele posted:

The stillsuit is stated to recycle your pee, though. Which you then drink.

It cracks me up that the 2021 film removed the line "urine and feces are processed in the thighpads".

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
You know there are real world religions that wash things with animal pee pee and put the pee pee in their mouths and bathe in the pee pee.

I'm glad my table top group isn't so deep into meta that they'd probably get a huge laugh out of the scenario and would go to comically far lengths not to touch the pee pee in any way, shape, or form.

pee pee

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Nessus posted:

You rarely hear about the bile or the phlegm compared to blood.

Read more Promethean the Created then imo

e: somewhere out there I'm sure someone has made a promethean extempore who bleeds piss and vinegar

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 17, 2021

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
As the person who first brought the phrase Magical Realm into this conversation I feel I should clarify that I was only referencing the piss part of the piss fetish comic much like other times we will reference the fetish part of the piss fetish comic when there is no piss present. I absolutely believe it is a juvenile attempt at horror rather than jackoff material.

I brought it up because if I was writing a fake post for this forum where I invent a joke introductory adventure to make fun of OSR clichés I'd probably leave "and then they find a bunch of wizards drinking piss" on the cutting room floor for being too blatant.

e:

Boba Pearl posted:

Is horny the first thing you think of when you hear LSD piss? Is it because of the meme? I can't tell if we're doing a bit or if everyone's first thought when looking at the monster description that it was secretly a piss play fetish. I don't think I'm that naive, but my first instinct was not "Wow, could you imagine someone jerking off to this? Like could you imagine someone else getting turned on by this and exposing everyone else to their fetish, what a sicko that author is."
Even the actual author of the adventure immediately thought of the magical realm when Arivia brought it up! It's a pretty entrenched part of the online TTRPG memespace.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 17, 2021

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
Yeah, I feel like we're really beating a pissing, dead racehorse at this point.

The discussion, at least from me, was that the whole piss angle sounded like it would be taken in too juvenile a direction by most tables, which was counter to the body-horror themes the author was going for; there was some discussion about horror and atmosphere, the reactions were brought up to the original creator and he was all "Yeah, I see that. I'll probably change things up for the next revision".

All in all things seem settled and we all learned a little bit about piss and a lot more about ourselves...

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Halloween Jack posted:

I see you are unfamiliar with the extended works of @duneauthor.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
Trad Games Chat: i didnt peepee! i';m not a little piss boy!!!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

grassy gnoll posted:

I see you are unfamiliar with the extended works of @duneauthor.
Happily!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

sometimes a cigar is just a cigar,
but sometimes it's totally a phallus
the world is full of contrasts

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

TK_Nyarlathotep posted:

Trad Games Chat: i didnt peepee! i';m not a little piss boy!!!
Trad Games Chat: get out you're piss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

stop being so pissy