Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

ManSedan posted:

I never liked how easily warships in most Gundam shows explode when even slightly brushed by any kind of beam.

:same:

It works in some circumstances (Amuro going full Newtype late in MSG being a good one to me) but it’s kinda :rolleyes: now. Even more so for the OYW where it seems now every Zeon ace seemingly has to slag a half dozen Salamis every other time they’re on screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I wouldn't even say it works for Amuro to be honest, because being a Newtype doesn't make your gun any more powerful; it just makes you more accurate. If Amuro can destroy a ship with a single hit, then so can anyone. It might require more luck on the part of others, but it's still perfectly reasonable if you excuse it for Amuro. It could be worse though, since in the original 52 episode plan, Amuro was going to single handedly destroy the colony laser after Gihren fired it a second time to devastate the Federation fleet. So if that show had gotten made, we could have a situation where Gato is showing off not by blowing up warships, but by blowing up asteroid bases without much trouble.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I did like in Thunderbolt when they laid out exactly what happens when a fleet of ships releases a full broadside on a target.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Anyone can destroy a ship in a single hit. It's lining up your shot to strike a vital component without getting blown to bits by their point defences (or, for that matter, their main guns) that's the tricky bit.

Honestly, ships primarily being transports and long-ranged artillery seems fine to me. So they're vulnerable to mobile suits at close quarters - so what? A main battle tank can rampage through an artillery battery, but that doesn't make artillery obsolete, it just means you shouldn't let main battle tanks near it.

Lock Knight
Oct 5, 2012

You're gonna carry that weight.
Cybernetic Crumb
I like how Iron-Blooded Orphans made the ships nice and tanky.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Ships are lame in everything except IBO and IBO also made them beefy so it's fine

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Arc Hammer posted:

I did like in Thunderbolt when they laid out exactly what happens when a fleet of ships releases a full broadside on a target.

The few times that CCA and F91 where they show the AA fire from Ra Cailum’s and Clop’s holding back or just ruining some MS are cool. The one little scene in F91 where a Clop just pops over the side of a colony and instantly wipes out a Crossbone team with AA fire is one of my favorite parts in the movie.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm a sucker for starships ramming each other because it's the most ludicrous method of combat imaginable for space and its loving awesome every time it happens. Eugene throwing the Isaribi around like he's an Ork playing Battlefleet Gothic is sweet.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Chan killing what was supposedly an ace with a ship gun

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

fartknocker posted:

:same:

It works in some circumstances (Amuro going full Newtype late in MSG being a good one to me) but it’s kinda :rolleyes: now. Even more so for the OYW where it seems now every Zeon ace seemingly has to slag a half dozen Salamis every other time they’re on screen.

Zeon aces can shoot down little a Salamis, as a treat.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lock Knight posted:

Even ships that got destroyed were usually intact enough for recovery to be an option. (A useful one, too, considering how valuable the Ahab reactors are.)

One scene I like in The Origin is Ryu complaining about how people say Char sank five battleships at Loum when it was really just one battleship, three cruisers, and a carrier.

(And he should know. He was there.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lock Knight posted:

Even then Mike could just get up in and smash the bridge.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Even then Mike could just get up in and smash the bridge.

That's because Mike always goes in with a plan.

Mikazuki, meanwhile, had wiped out the fighter screen and Jaisley's ship had a permanently deployed bridge, unlike the retractable versions you see on Gjallarhorn's halfbeaks, making it a relatively soft target, by PD standards. Similarly, the ship McGillis dropped with Bael hadn't managed to get around to switching to combat mode before its bridge crew got vented.

(On rewatching, it seems like most of that ship's crew survived, as did one of the Reginlaze pilots who got into a fight with McGillis. He definitely doesn't seem as thorough as Mika tends to be.)

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Even ships that got destroyed were usually intact enough for recovery to be an option. (A useful one, too, considering how valuable the Ahab reactors are.)

One scene I like in The Origin is Ryu complaining about how people say Char sank five battleships at Loum when it was really just one battleship, three cruisers, and a carrier.

(And he should know. He was there.)

in the ova's it's five magellans

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
It took them until sometime between F91 and Victory to actually equip their spaceships with appropriately sized beams shields, and then it wasn’t until the end of Victory that they figured out how to use them as giant spear points.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lock Knight posted:

I also like how their tankiness justifies the ubiquity of mobile suits in space combat. Nanolaminate armour means you can't rely on attack craft with guns and bombs to take out enemy ships - you need something to land on them and smash them repeatedly with a giant rocket-propelled hammer until something important breaks.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

I also like how their tankiness justifies the ubiquity of mobile suits in space combat. Nanolaminate armour means you can't rely on attack craft with guns and bombs to take out enemy ships - you need something to land on them and smash them repeatedly with a giant rocket-propelled hammer until something important breaks.

Or a boarding party, like Shino's marines.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I mean the real solution to that problem is kinetic penetrators, but some assholes decided to go and hoard them all to themselves

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

I mean the real solution to that problem is kinetic penetrators, but some assholes decided to go and hoard them all to themselves

Depends on your budget. It took a lot of those to stop a civilian armored assault ship, and it still managed to kill an enemy battleship in exchange. Meanwhile, a boarding party took the same ship with no losses.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You know I got to thinking, if the nano laminate is like paint, and they can manage to get it off, whats stopping them from designing a gundam sized paintball gun filled with paint stripper and just blasting the armor off.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Gaius Marius posted:

You know I got to thinking, if the nano laminate is like paint, and they can manage to get it off, whats stopping them from designing a gundam sized paintball gun filled with paint stripper and just blasting the armor off.

I mean, we only know 12 of the 72 Gundam Frames and IBO already has a theme of using giant hardware tools, there's an honest chance that maybe that was what the Gundam Bifrons is set up to do something.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

That's basically what anti-ship napalm torpedoes are all about. They stick to the nanolaminate coating until it overloads and burns away.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Argas posted:

One of my favorite V Gundam design quirks is that they have hardpoints in the arms and legs and can just straight up bolt their standard beam rifle to it and operate it wirelessly. Obviously a hand holding a gun lets them aim without having to orient more chunks of the MS at the same time but when your side can replace those pants you kamikazed into the enemy, they can also just bolt guns to everything.

Stuff like that is why the MG kit for the V-Dash Gundam ended up being my first MG kit(still need to build it though)

Omnicrom posted:

I mean, we only know 12 of the 72 Gundam Frames and IBO already has a theme of using giant hardware tools, there's an honest chance that maybe that was what the Gundam Bifrons is set up to do something.

Like I've said before I'm still just plain amazed about that, just seems odd(and indeed even stupid if we're being brutally honest) to have that kind of setting detail and left it mostly unknown

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
They haven't done much with IBO at all since the show ended. It's had one manga side story, and that's kind of it. The game will presumably come out at some point, but it doesn't appear to be a high priority for Banrise. No compilation movie(s), no sequel announcement etc. They even appear to have moved on to new pastures, presuming that The Witch of Mercury isn't an IBO sequel. It gives the impression that it wasn't the kind of runaway success they want or something.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

That's basically what anti-ship napalm torpedoes are all about. They stick to the nanolaminate coating until it overloads and burns away.

In function maybe, but like chemically there has to be a way to strip off the old paint right? So why not use it?

tsob posted:

They haven't done much with IBO at all since the show ended. It's had one manga side story, and that's kind of it. The game will presumably come out at some point, but it doesn't appear to be a high priority for Banrise. No compilation movie(s), no sequel announcement etc. They even appear to have moved on to new pastures, presuming that The Witch of Mercury isn't an IBO sequel. It gives the impression that it wasn't the kind of runaway success they want or something.

I don't really feel that they intended for it to be a runaway hit, not in the way they tried to make SEED a new UC at least

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

tsob posted:

They actually announced a compilation this coming spring, to come out alongside the game. Nine parts, airing on TV. Can't find the runtimes, so it's hard to compare with the SEED and UC movies directly, but Bandai's carving out a spot for it in the schedule.

Looking at DVD sales, TV ratings, Gunpla sales, and investor statements, it seems like IBO at minimum met expectations, which explains why they've been running a 4koma on the site for years now, releasing high end action figures, and did a big anniversary event last year.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

tsob posted:

It's getting a compilation version next year to promote some mobile app, but IBO did not do well in Japan

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Sorry sweeties /m/ told me it flopped

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

chiasaur11 posted:

They actually announced a compilation this coming spring, to come out alongside the game. Nine parts, airing on TV. Can't find the runtimes, so it's hard to compare with the SEED and UC movies directly, but Bandai's carving out a spot for it in the schedule.

Looking at DVD sales, TV ratings, Gunpla sales, and investor statements, it seems like IBO at minimum met expectations, which explains why they've been running a 4koma on the site for years now, releasing high end action figures, and did a big anniversary event last year.

There's an IBO 4koma? That's interesting. I've never seen anything of it. What was the anniversary event for it? What was even the anniversary? 5 years, I assume. That seems like kind of a weird anniversary to celebrate.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It would be shocking if IBO didn't get compellation movies. loving AGE got them.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

compilation movies should just stop existing as a thing

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They're fine except when they do them bad

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gaius Marius posted:

They're fine except when they do them bad

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say anything good about any of them beyond the 0079 compilation movies, outside "there's some nice animation". They almost always end up not having enough runtime to cover the series, and having to compress events to the point of nonsense.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Seemlar posted:

It's getting a compilation version next year to promote some mobile app, but IBO did not do well in Japan

Highest ratings of any seasonal when was airing, about 10,400 sales per volume average for the DVDs, and Bandai spoke positively on the model sales in investor reports, with regular reprints for the Gundams. The ending was controversial, but the show did quite well overall.

tsob posted:

There's an IBO 4koma? That's interesting. I've never seen anything of it. What was the anniversary event for it? What was even the anniversary? 5 years, I assume. That seems like kind of a weird anniversary to celebrate.

Five years from the start, yeah. It doesn't seem to have been archived anywhere, let alone translated, but they got some of the VAs together, in person or on the phone, talked about the show, played some of the music, and made a cake.

As for the 4-komas, technically there are two.

Been going since the game was announced as part of the initial app plan.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

It would be shocking if IBO didn't get compellation movies. loving AGE got them.

Well, one anyway.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbS69vHCsrQ

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

tsob posted:

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say anything good about any of them beyond the 0079 compilation movies, outside "there's some nice animation". They almost always end up not having enough runtime to cover the series, and having to compress events to the point of nonsense.

DYRL has absolutely beautiful animation and soundtrack, and the Plus movie is alright. In retrospect, perhaps the MSG trilogy is the only good ones though

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gaius Marius posted:

DYRL has absolutely beautiful animation and soundtrack, and the Plus movie is alright. In retrospect, perhaps the MSG trilogy is the only good ones though

I mean, I was speaking specifically about Gundam ones, but sure. I'm also not sure I'd classify DYRL as a compilation movie anyway, given that it changes so much and has almost entirely new animation.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

chiasaur11 posted:

Highest ratings of any seasonal when was airing, about 10,400 sales per volume average for the DVDs, and Bandai spoke positively on the model sales in investor reports, with regular reprints for the Gundams. The ending was controversial, but the show did quite well overall.

People phrase it as "highest of any seasonal when airing" because that sounds flattering, both seasons rated worse than AGE's lowest rating cour, and the 10k number is season 1 physical media and inflated by a low cost volume 1 release. G-Reco did better in that regard.

The nicest thing to say about it is that it's physical media and model numbers did enough, where AGE's didn't. It's why we've had the longest gap between Gundam tv series since the 90's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

tsob posted:

I mean, I was speaking specifically about Gundam ones, but sure. I'm also not sure I'd classify DYRL as a compilation movie anyway, given that it changes so much and has almost entirely new animation.

Yeah It's kinda iffy, I searched my mind palace for good gundam comp's and could only find MSG so I resorted to Macross. At least the frontier movies are mostly good, even if they have some problems