Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://twitter.com/shantonusen/status/1469894269422891011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
https://twitter.com/sapphomancer/status/1328365406579552259

thecluckmeme posted:

Gonna make a spotify Playlist consisting of CCR. Springsteen, Mellencamp, etc. that's just titled "hog shootin music"

As the helicopter dips lower and "Copperhead Road" begins blasting, I get too excited and fall out. I am promptly mauled to death by wild hogs.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Read After Burning posted:

https://twitter.com/sapphomancer/status/1328365406579552259

As the helicopter dips lower and "Copperhead Road" begins blasting, I get too excited and fall out. I am promptly mauled to death by wild hogs.

Steel Panther echoes over the hoard of boars currently devouring my unconscious dick and balls

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Friend posted:

Pretty sure I recall that John Morgan Of Morgan & Morgan got so many duis he's never allowed to drive again, but now his Wikipedia is just about how he wants to legalize weed with Jimmy Buffet so I'm conflicted.

Not really, gently caress him and his commercials

It's a family tradition.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Someone call CPS....

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
If he's working on Java, we've got a second Bean dad in the works.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

NetBeans dad.

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0

raminasi posted:

I originally read this as "mate with local bears" and :stonk:

yeah, that's two thirds of manbearpig

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

raminasi posted:

I originally read this as "mate with local bears" and :stonk:

Sounds like a good Friday night to me

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

The whole core of Judaism is basically rules-lawyering God Himself. It owns.

For me this one doesn't even register as a strange thing for rabbis to debate, nor would it be a particularly long debate. The provision that you may transgress to save life is already well established.

My favourite is a case where a rabbi argued that a particular product would become non-kosher if it were given kosher certification, and would be kosher if it did not have that certification! I can't find the article again, unfortunately :(

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Hyperlynx posted:

My favourite is a case where a rabbi argued that a particular product would become non-kosher if it were given kosher certification, and would be kosher if it did not have that certification! I can't find the article again, unfortunately :(

Products that are kosher only without a heksher

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

grittyreboot posted:

Of course there are some women out there who are way into tall guys, but the perception that most of them have hard and fast minimum height requirements probably come from incels forums. It's like when they started hyper fixating on how thin their wrists are. TBH I didn't really hear about it until about 4 or 5 years ago. I've never really considered it a factor in my dating life.

When I was doing a lot of online dating in '09-'10, I'd see height requirements in maybe 1 out of 20-30 girls profiles, and I knew IRL girls with height requirements before that, so its not new at all. Incels love to harp on height because its an unchangeable personal attribute they can latch onto and catastrophize.

Its something that ties in to male attractiveness and is easily quantifiable, so online dating disadvantages short dudes like it disadvantages alot of other folks. Attractive, but not photogenic? Bad at personal photography? Bad at short-form written communication? Got Dysgraphia? The new world of dating sucks for you!

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

The solution is simple, we just need to introduce wild Gauls to the environment. One small village ought to do it.

Sure, you can, but I thought the Romans had conquered all of Gaul...

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Wow! Thank you!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Hyperlynx posted:

The whole core of Judaism is basically rules-lawyering God Himself. It owns.

For me this one doesn't even register as a strange thing for rabbis to debate, nor would it be a particularly long debate. The provision that you may transgress to save life is already well established.

yea 'are vampires breaking kosher' is some amateur level Jewish pedantry, we have the pretty rock solid standard of 'preservation of life is always more important than other rules' as accepted by everyone.

The real fun is arguing if a werewolf would have to feel bad for breaking kosher while in wolf mode, then you can debate how much of a 'man' remains and if that wolfman nature even is bound by Jewish law like his man side would be and all.

Though my favorite general story about rabbis arguing with God is The Oven of Akhnai. Two rabbis are arguing about a new kind of oven if it meets kosher requirements and all and, eventually, one goes 'if I'm wrong let God make the stream we're next to flow backwards'. The stream goes backwards but the other rabbi says it doesn't prove anything, so a voice from heaven directly says 'he's right and you're wrong'. The rabbi answers by saying that the Torah is not in heaven, but on earth, and its laws are the domain of man to decide, so God should stay out of the argument. It ends with God laughing in heaven and saying his children have got one over on him.

It's part of a bigger story about sorrow and prayer and all but that one chunk of it is a pretty mainstream story because it's basically just Jewish culture perfectly summed up.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

sexpig by night posted:

The real fun is arguing if a werewolf would have to feel bad for breaking kosher while in wolf mode, then you can debate how much of a 'man' remains and if that wolfman nature even is bound by Jewish law like his man side would be and all.

Wouldn't that heavily depend on how much "control" they have over the wolf mode? I guess it ties into the how much of a man remains.

Do involuntary actions count? If someone has a seizure for example and presses a button on the Sabbath, or something like that

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

sexpig by night posted:

yea 'are vampires breaking kosher' is some amateur level Jewish pedantry, we have the pretty rock solid standard of 'preservation of life is always more important than other rules' as accepted by everyone.

Though my favorite general story about rabbis arguing with God is The Oven of Akhnai. Two rabbis are arguing about a new kind of oven if it meets kosher requirements and all and, eventually, one goes 'if I'm wrong let God make the stream we're next to flow backwards'. The stream goes backwards but the other rabbi says it doesn't prove anything, so a voice from heaven directly says 'he's right and you're wrong'. The rabbi answers by saying that the Torah is not in heaven, but on earth, and its laws are the domain of man to decide, so God should stay out of the argument. It ends with God laughing in heaven and saying his children have got one over on him.

It's part of a bigger story about sorrow and prayer and all but that one chunk of it is a pretty mainstream story because it's basically just Jewish culture perfectly summed up.

Ok, but do the undead count as "alive"?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Serperoth posted:

Wouldn't that heavily depend on how much "control" they have over the wolf mode? I guess it ties into the how much of a man remains.

Do involuntary actions count? If someone has a seizure for example and presses a button on the Sabbath, or something like that

involuntary actions don't count but I suppose then the argument would be exactly how much of a 'wolf' he is. If he's a full on 'chain me up or I'll eat anyone I see' type it'd probably be null but then it becomes how much is he obligated to suppress his 'wolf nature' in the proper form. Would wolfman be required to keep kosher even if he can control himself or is the fact that he's not a 'man' but a 'wolfman' mean he's got entirely different standards regardless? Personally I think I'd need a wolfman rabbi to weigh in on it.

And now I'm just thinking of the 30 Rock 'Werewolf Bar Mitzvah' song.

christmas boots posted:

Ok, but do the undead count as "alive"?

That's the fun vampire argument yea, what is 'life' and all. You can also play this card when arguing if you're obligated to rebury zombies respectfully or if you should just dispose of them cleanly for public good.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

projecthalaxy posted:

NetBeans dad.

heh heh

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

This is part of a whole bonkers thread

https://twitter.com/bendreyfuss/status/1471324097250353162?t=IFzBjUEr8OKKy31gMwXPwg&s=19

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0
no thanks, i do not think i will read a thread from someone who thinks only attractive people get sexually assaulted

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah that thread doesn’t make the author look very good

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah that thread doesn’t make the author look very good
Very much true, it's a "holy poo poo who is this trash human" kind of thread.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

sexpig by night posted:

That's some super Pratchett stuff right there.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Roblo posted:

I'm far from a gun expert but is an assault rifle really what you want for hunting pigs anyway?

Surely you need a spear.

Does nobody remember the goon who made a giant gently caress off spear and hunted hogs at night shirtless with night vision goggles and a drone with infrared? He spelled out PETA with pig corpses and posted the pic here. That thread was awesome.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Warbird posted:

Wait until you read about eruvs, and learn that NYC and LA both have gigantic eruvs. (NYC's covers most of Manhattan)

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

I have never double-click>right-click>google search'd on so many words in such a short time

D-Pad posted:

Does nobody remember the goon who made a giant gently caress off spear and hunted hogs at night shirtless with night vision goggles and a drone with infrared? He spelled out PETA with pig corpses and posted the pic here. That thread was awesome.

That poster was bushman, unfortunately he went full Trumpist

minato posted:

Wait until you read about eruvs, and learn that NYC and LA both have gigantic eruvs. (NYC's covers most of Manhattan)

Melbourne has one as well, you just need to make sure you're on the right side of the street, as a lot of it runs down the tram lines in the middle, so there's an inside-side and an outside-side.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
https://twitter.com/stavvybaby/status/1091545766621962240?s=20

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

minato posted:

Without looking, that’s the cheat day wire for Sundays isn’t it?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Warbird posted:

correct, the letter of the Shabbat law is very restrictive on even how much you can carry from your own residence to 'public areas' and other things (which includes, say, carrying a baby or using a cane or the like) so the wire makes all of the area 'private property' spiritually speaking and lets even ultra observant Orthodox sorts, ya know, walk down the street with keys in their pocket or the like.

A classic staple of Jewish life, looking at a law and going 'this feels like someone hosed up what this means, let me fix it'.

Fun fact even within an eruv it's commonly accepted some things remain too obviously 'public land' involved to do. My favorite is you technically can't open an umbrella because it's akin to pitching a tent, which I find a genuinely adorable interpretation because I just imagine some little old rabbi all 'what is an umbrella but a small tent over us?'

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Warbird posted:

Saturday, but yeah. I love all the clever tricks Rabbis have figured out over the centuries. Look up Shabbos goy, or Sabbath mode on fridges/elevators for more.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Saturday

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Warbird posted:

oh yeah, there's that bit where a golem publicly announces he is an atheist but is open to proof for the existence of any god, and he is struck by a hundred lightning bolts simultaneously, and announces, unharmed, from a smouldering crater "That Does Not Constitute Proof"

and then an onlooker cracks "well no but it's an argument that has proven effective before now"

rip prat-man

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
the tricks are cool and all, but I feel like they miss the obvious point. As a non-religious person though, just do whatever makes you happy

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mauser posted:

the tricks are cool and all, but I feel like they miss the obvious point. As a non-religious person though, just do whatever makes you happy

well to be more serious I'd personally argue that the point is that God gave us free will and by that gift we have the ability to do things like question even divine things. For me, personally, beyond the obvious humor and fun in these stories, is a very real spiritual core that represents a celebration of our ability to think and reason and debate. I, again personally, don't believe God in all his omnipotence and power genuinely cares if I eat a cheeseburger or a regular hamburger, but I think that by explaining why I don't feel the kosher laws are as ironclad for modern life as they may have been in the past on a deeper level than 'I'd like a cheeseburger' I'm encouraged to study my culture's history and law and engage with it in a deeper way than blind obedience or knee-jerk rejection.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

This is not a place of honor.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

sexpig by night posted:

well to be more serious I'd personally argue that the point is that God gave us free will and by that gift we have the ability to do things like question even divine things. For me, personally, beyond the obvious humor and fun in these stories, is a very real spiritual core that represents a celebration of our ability to think and reason and debate. I, again personally, don't believe God in all his omnipotence and power genuinely cares if I eat a cheeseburger or a regular hamburger, but I think that by explaining why I don't feel the kosher laws are as ironclad for modern life as they may have been in the past on a deeper level than 'I'd like a cheeseburger' I'm encouraged to study my culture's history and law and engage with it in a deeper way than blind obedience or knee-jerk rejection.

I feel like a lot of the various religious dietary restrictions in particular sprang out of food safety. Pork? Shellfish? Hard to store for long periods without refrigeration and prone to many nasty diseases.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Speaking of Jewish food

https://twitter.com/BrittneyBush/status/1471590891735289857?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

this is so offensive

you're forgetting 'heavy and filling noodles mixed with whatever we've got to stretch out to feed us for another day' and 'pastries sturdy and small enough to fit in our pockets, ya know, in case we need to run suddenly'.