Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Min was good though, both of her scenes were good. shame that i am guessing she will be a minor character at most considering her power is to predict the plot.

loial just disappeared after they left the waygate. no ogiers allowed in fal dara?

roomtone fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Dec 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

I feel like the dialogue was uniquely problematic this episode though, since I previously only had minor gripes with the script, and looking at IMDB, most writers only have 6 episodes of credit so maybe it's another thing that got hosed up with COVID?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

roomtone posted:

Min was good though, both of her scenes were good. shame that i am guessing she will be a minor character at most considering her power is to predict the plot.

loial just disappeared after they left the waygate. no ogiers allowed in fal dara?

special little bright red wooden house outside the gate just for Ogiers

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I mean I’ve spent like 15 years hearing about how dumb and bad the books were, so I’ve actually been rather surprised by the show’s quality such as it is so far. Still really enjoying it, but I think that’s because I binged like the first five episodes in a single day, so if I’d had to wait weeks to get as far as I did I’d have probably dropped the show cold after episode 2 or 3.

Someone compared this show to Hercules, and you know what, I’m kind of fine with that, seeing as how The Witcher is Netflix’s modern day Xena, so WoT makes a decent compliment to it in that regard.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

nine-gear crow posted:

I mean I’ve spent like 15 years hearing about how dumb and bad the books were, =

The books are dumb and good :colbert:

More seriously, the books have a lot of flaws, but there's a lot of quality in there too. They aren't for everyone certainly but anyone who's enjoying the show, I'd suggest after the season ends, go pick up the first book and give it a try, it's close enough but also different enough to the show so far that you'll probably like either if you like the other.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

MegaZeroX posted:

I feel like the dialogue was uniquely problematic this episode though, since I previously only had minor gripes with the script, and looking at IMDB, most writers only have 6 episodes of credit so maybe it's another thing that got hosed up with COVID?

I imagine there were fairly substantial rewrites necessitated by Barney Harris' exit.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'm generally happy with the writing but every time they say 'the darkness in Mat' I cringe

roomtone posted:

I don't buy that Perrin has any feelings towards Egwene at all based on what I've seen so far, it came out of nowhere - which didn't help. That whole scene of them arguing felt like a forced waste of time.

If you watch the episodes again you'll see a fair few moments hinting at it

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

roomtone posted:

the stupid hair budget ran out

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

she tugged her braid after sex btw

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Rarity posted:

If you watch the episodes again you'll see a fair few moments hinting at it

It's very obvious in the first episode when Egwene comes into the inn and Nyn has to go to Perrin and be like, hey, don't you have a loving wife to husband right now??

Which, uh, makes Perrin look like kind of an awful person tbh.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

It's very obvious in the first episode when Egwene comes into the inn and Nyn has to go to Perrin and be like, hey, don't you have a loving wife to husband right now??

Which, uh, makes Perrin look like kind of an awful person tbh.

she was a darkfriend who was gonna smash him with her hammer

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

lumpentroll posted:

lol

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

lumpentroll posted:

Isn't that a sign of frustration? Lan, not a skilled lover, smh

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I like how they have Rand actively realize he is the DR and accept it to spare his friends from the danger of going to the Eye of the World instead of deny what he is. I also like how they're making the Lan and Nynaeve relationship more forward and it feels more organic that they would end up a couple as opposed to the books where it's kinda out of nowhere. still hoping to see that (very minor book detail) sweet rear end signet ring

Can't wait till next week heck yes

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
The decision to bone down rather than pine means we probably won't get the wedding gown/widows weeds speech from Henney, which I was looking forward to. Making the issue more purely Moiraine rather than Moiraine plus "I am wedded to deaaaaath" is probably better for the limited time and scene's they'll be able to get, I guess.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

lumpentroll posted:

It’s quite prominent too, camera really lingers.

Also whoever said the Robert Jordan Conan stories were very horny was, if anything, understating the case. They are exceptionally horny. Also he seems to be very consciously imitating Howard’s style.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Kate Fleetwood is such a grand villainous actor, enjoyed her brief role in Les Mis too.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I appreciate how the costuming department has had Moraine becoming more disheveled as they travel. It's a nice touch. Especially the contrast to the more ceremonial appearance last episode. Still feels overly rushed on screen though.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

LionArcher posted:

A bunch of people in here really don't get sword/spear fighting combat! more cringe than the excellent fight scene. I also don't think the (I'm assuming here) dudes get how dope it is to watch a woman who's pregnant kicking so much rear end. Twitter is going nuts over that scene.

Spear fighting does not involve sprinting forward then limboing under lateral swings in order to spin around, or catching an opponent's weapon on yours and somehow using that to completely spin your opponent off their feet, defeating them completely. At one point two armed men were right behind her and she was looking away from them toward the camera, and they just ran away instead of just easily killing her. It just blows my mind that with 9 figures, this show can't hire someone to make the fight scenes both fun to watch and somewhat based in reality. There's a continuum between anime bullshit fighting and boring, hyper realistic. This is definitely more toward the former. Agree to disagree but they could do so much better with the mountain of money they have.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
But have you considerd that twirly fight scenes with flippy stab sticks look pretty cool

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

it was actually very cool

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

BrianWilly posted:

But have you considerd that twirly fight scenes with flippy stab sticks look pretty cool

:emptyquote:

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I think there's a cost-savings point in striving to make the fight choreography fun for the vast majority of people who aren't sword nerds.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

literally half of wheel of time is anime bullshit

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Yea, I just watched it again to double check. It was rad. Also at no point did two armed men run away from her. She knocked those two down and then went after the 3rd who was backing up.

Skuzal
Oct 21, 2008
I would also like to point out that in a series with literal magic, that having characters that seemingly have supernatural powers due to intense training or thats how Aiels are makes the world more interesting. Talking about how unrealistic something is when theres loving wizards throwing fireballs, a creature made of wind and pocket dimensions that characters can teleport to is really loving funny.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Spear fighting does not involve sprinting forward then limboing under lateral swings in order to spin around, or catching an opponent's weapon on yours and somehow using that to completely spin your opponent off their feet, defeating them completely. At one point two armed men were right behind her and she was looking away from them toward the camera, and they just ran away instead of just easily killing her. It just blows my mind that with 9 figures, this show can't hire someone to make the fight scenes both fun to watch and somewhat based in reality. There's a continuum between anime bullshit fighting and boring, hyper realistic. This is definitely more toward the former. Agree to disagree but they could do so much better with the mountain of money they have.

Friend, you're arguing that the pregnant woman killing 4 guys while having contractions wasn't realistic.

Also goons have zero idea how much money it takes to make movies/tv or where it's spent, do they?

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

imagine watching a pregnant woman absolutely demolish half a dozen goons in armor with insane short spear moves and then complaining about it

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I think this was probably my favorite episode to date. Ep 1 might be my second favorite, just because I loved how real poo poo got once the Trollocs showed up.

Can't help but feel like all the Pegwene stuff is just Perrin "overreacting" to what he heard in the wind, rather than actually wanting to boink Egwene.

I both liked and disliked the little recap of Rand doing stuff once it's revealed. I kinda wish they just let the audience pick up on those moments during a re-watch rather than explicitly showing everything, although actually seeing weaves on this showing was a neat addition.

Love love love the brief glimpse of Fain during a blast of lightning in the Ways. I need to go back and grab a screen cap of it because it looked so cool. Also love that screenshot floating around of him holding a little trinket by the gate and he has a cool sweater on. And that one screenshot also floating around of him walking out of the gate with his back to the camera. I haven't noticed any of the whistling, but I've spotted him in the background in most of his appearances.

I remember a few moments of dialog lacking subtlety, but I can't recall what they were this morning after watching it last night :v: Before Rand was revealed, at one point when they were in the Ways and the party gets blasted back he looks like he had a harsh white light shining on him

Definitely thought the Blight looked kinda dumb; I pictured it like "weird desert with what is growing is all decaying and wrong", not dense rear end forest of dead tree things.

Super excited for next Thursday, super mega not excited waiting for Season 2 :negative: Bezos you coward, release it now.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Dec 17, 2021

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Gaz-L posted:

Also goons have zero idea how much money it takes to make movies/tv or where it's spent, do they?

Yeah, like 8 million for an hour of a show isn't a lot, considering even the longest MCU movie is 3 hours long but has a budget that's 45 times as large.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Yeah, Hawkeye has 2.5 times the per episode budget, and that doesn't require much for special effects or costuming. And if you look at most of the top shows from Netflix/Disney+, you are going to notice their budgets exceed WoT's.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It thought the pregnant fight scene was fun but it was definitely in the dance choreography category where all parties clearly are carefully timing their moves with the rest of the group.

I’m not a spear/sword expert but feel like standing there executing artful flourishes while waiting for your opponent to finish stabbing your buddy and turn towards you is not sound tactics.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
The fight sequence was pretty standard for "cinematic" choreography, which means it was dumb and bad by any realistic point of view, but ok for what it was, especially in a show where you have to assume a level of disconnect between what's being shown and what they would show if they were given a magic wand.

Anyone fighting 3-4 opponents at once is going to look bad unless the show is starring a martial artist of the caliber of Iko Uwais or unless the fight choreographer is on level with something like John Wick...Which is probably out of the scope for a series unless it's something like Warrior where martial arts are core to the show itself.

That said, I think the episode overall was kinda meh. Ep6 seems so far a good measure above the rest of the show; the show itself is enjoyable enough that I'm definitely going to keep watching it, but it also seems a bit bland (aside for the inspired choices for the non-standard, non european medieval fantasy clothes and architecture and the general cast diversity, which are definitely different from the average).

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Dec 17, 2021

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Have I got a YouTube channel for you…

(Can we make this dude’s screaming face an emoticon for the forums? )

Edit: Re: Pegwene. There have been subtle hints in nearly every episode, it very much did not come out of nowhere. And I'd say they've actually executed it well. Even if I disagree with it's addition to the story.

th3t00t fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Dec 17, 2021

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

BrianWilly posted:

It didn't though, it was cringe as gently caress

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

nine-gear crow posted:

I mean I’ve spent like 15 years hearing about how dumb and bad the books were, so I’ve actually been rather surprised by the show’s quality such as it is so far.

I'm just curious, what circle of book reading are you are told that the wheel of time is bad?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Who has the time to watch incels complain for 3 hours about a 1 hour long episode about a show they claim to hate?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

RC Cola posted:

Who has the time to watch incels complain for 3 hours about a 1 hour long episode of a show they claim to hate?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

His Divine Shadow posted:

It didn't though, it was cringe as gently caress

I didn't see any of your posts in it though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

*cinemasins voice* if you look closely, you can see that the person going into labor is killing multiple people. this is not realistic and is in fact cringe and fail