Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
But, unlike tencent, Google would never spy on you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Mailer posted:

They're one step ahead of that. The true believers started hedging their bets like 3-4 years ago with talk about how they were "just happy to be part of this ambitious project".
Imagine Fyre festival attendees praising plain cheese sandwiches as the best food they ever tasted, sitting inside their dark tier 0 tents, being glad to be part of this momentous event.

Actually, we don't have to imagine it:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Mailer posted:

Though NFTs did give us the "right-clicker" pejorative, which always makes me giggle, so at least that's on positive.

I am happy I avoid all NFT crap, but this is great :lol:

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

commando in tophat posted:

I am happy I avoid all NFT crap, but this is great :lol:

Another positive is the stream of fantastic crypto/NFT stories out there at the moment, for example:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/12/16/daryl-morey-crypto-nfts-english-soccer/

I mean, the sub-header should just read "WE WANT TO FIND A WAY TO SCAM CASH OUT OF IDIOTS AND LAUNDER MONEY, A LOWER-LEAGUE ENGLISH FOOTBALL CLUB LOOKS IDEAL"

It does make me wonder whether these hipster crypto bros have ever been to the delightful town of Bradford though (the club they're being coy about is Bradford City AFC aka The Bantams).

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Mirificus posted:

Lots of games, in fact almost all large-scale/AAA/Open World games, take 10+ years to develop. The fact that CIG/RSI started from absolutely nothing, and has allowed the people to be a part of the process and even play the early game; is pretty amazing TBH. No other studio does this. They take their 10+ years and keep you in the dark, then they generally release a shoddy, half-assed product that everyone complains about, anyway.

You're killing me Miri. I know it shouldn't, but it gets frustrating to read these guys just stating complete lies as fact. A quick google of longest development times or development hell will get you a few games over the 10 year mark, and it always includes DNF. The number of games at the 10+ year mark is almost certainly less than 10. If you restrict it to released "AAA" games it's probably less than 5. This should be pretty easy to reason about for anyone who's not an idiot because it takes extraordinary circumstances for anyone to fund a game for 10 years.

Mirificus posted:

I would personally wait - CIG just decided to force Tencent-epic Malware onto peoples computer.

I love that I know exactly know who this is because there's only one weirdo who calls them Tencent-epic and is extremely concerned about their chinese malware and is definitely not racist.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Bootcha posted:

Ladies and Gentlemen...

We have received confirmation...

That Star Citizen runs Epic Games software.

lol. lmao. We're gonna get a good old school CIG style press release out of this one I think

monkeytek posted:

Can we all just band together on this and create a game dev company called Nerd Fleecing Technologies? I nominate Beet as our erstwhile and lovable CEO.

no loving way, I've seen how mean you guys are to poor defenseless CEOs

Beet Wagon fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Dec 17, 2021

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Mailer posted:

Though NFTs did give us the "right-clicker" pejorative, which always makes me giggle, so at least that's on positive.

I think I can probably guess what this means, but for the sake of my curiosity, can you please explain?

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Time_pants posted:

I think I can probably guess what this means, but for the sake of my curiosity, can you please explain?

These idiots have bought a Unique work of art, online - and are being abused by thieves right-clicking and saving-as on their Unique piece of art that they totally own

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Time_pants posted:

you know how NFTs are supposed to be used to buy art? well, you can literally just right click the image and save it. this triggers some NFTbros pretty hard.
NFTs are actually just "proof" of "ownership" of an image, but the image itself is linked to in the blockchain and anyone can access it (and save it). that also means that the "art" you "bought" can go offline at any moment because it's just a regular website someone's hosting

NFTs are loving stupid

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Pffft, wait until they discover you can also PrtScr that poo poo.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Very advanced criminals can take a polaroid of the screen to steal them arts without leaving any digital trace!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

marumaru posted:

you know how NFTs are supposed to be used to buy art? well, you can literally just right click the image and save it. this triggers some NFTbros pretty hard.
NFTs are actually just "proof" of "ownership" of an image, but the image itself is linked to in the blockchain and anyone can access it (and save it). that also means that the "art" you "bought" can go offline at any moment because it's just a regular website someone's hosting

NFTs are loving stupid

This encapsulates why this poo poo shouldn't work, but could. It's based entirely around psychology. Some people will care if they are the "original" owner. Those people need to convince as many other people as possible to care as well. If nobody gives a poo poo, then NFTs may as well not exist. If everyone in the world cared deeply, then the concept becomes entrenched and suddenly it matters. So the big game now is to deluge the general population with the concept to reel in as many suckers as possible to reach that unknown critical mass which will make it profitable. Which is why at the moment the bullshit talk around NFTs is everywhere - make sure people think they're missing out on the next big thing. Not because it is, but because you need a certain number of people to believe it for it to financially congeal.

It's basically the Tinkerbell of the current age.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

marumaru posted:

you know how NFTs are supposed to be used to buy art?

This is the biggest lie of all and unfortunately I know some artists who believe this

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Star Atlas web browser game t0 released yesterday and it sure is a thing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIcZ2buPxG4

The "game" is you buy consumable resources and then send your ships on missions that generate Atlas coins. You don't actually do anything, just purchase resources and then add them to a ship.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Every person who sells an nft is a genius, every person who buys an nft is a moron. It's a big game of hot potato unless it perpetuates forever

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
"Expanding my NFT gaming portfolio" is my current favourite dumb internet phrase.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Scruffpuff posted:

This encapsulates why this poo poo shouldn't work, but could. It's based entirely around psychology. Some people will care if they are the "original" owner. Those people need to convince as many other people as possible to care as well. If nobody gives a poo poo, then NFTs may as well not exist. If everyone in the world cared deeply, then the concept becomes entrenched and suddenly it matters. So the big game now is to deluge the general population with the concept to reel in as many suckers as possible to reach that unknown critical mass which will make it profitable. Which is why at the moment the bullshit talk around NFTs is everywhere - make sure people think they're missing out on the next big thing. Not because it is, but because you need a certain number of people to believe it for it to financially congeal.

It's basically the Tinkerbell of the current age.

Yeah this is what a lot of people legitimately excited about crypto don't get. They're convinced it's the "next big thing" but by buying into the hype they're just filling the grifter's pockets.

It's also why you should never have FOMO about crypto - like, I've been following and laughing at Bitcoin for a long time now, and it occurred to me - if I had bought like $100 of it when it was worth pennies, I'd be rich now. But then I'd also have to be psychic and know how much it would raise, and it's much more likely I would have also made other bad investments or cashed out much, much earlier thinking the ceiling had come. And if I HAD actually made money, well, I'd probably just be another grifter. So I think I'm much happier having never even created a wallet ever.

Anyway the ship has sailed as far as getting rich on crypto goes. Unless you're literally scamming people by being the one behind a rugpull, have an army of bots, or are EXCEPTIONALLY lucky (and you're not), if you haven't already made money on crypto, you're likely not going to. And getting rich is the ONLY use case for all crypto, so far.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Dec 17, 2021

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Every time I think of that dude who threw away his PC and thereby doomed himself to searching landfill in Wales for the rest of his life because his Bitcoin wallet was on it, I smile.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Even if you go back in time and buy up all the Bitcoin you can you might change history and prevent a big player from buying that same Bitcoin and driving the price up. You could accidentally prevent Bitcoin from ever taking off. Makes you think

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

marumaru posted:

NFTs are loving stupid

…also, there's nothing stopping anyone from from “proving” that “ownership” two, three, four million times to different people. Since the underlying asset never goes anywhere, it's not like they'll ever notice that someone else used their “ownership” of the thing the first guy “owns” to cart it away.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Tippis posted:

…also, there's nothing stopping anyone from from “proving” that “ownership” two, three, four million times to different people. Since the underlying asset never goes anywhere, it's not like they'll ever notice that someone else used their “ownership” of the thing the first guy “owns” to cart it away.

I haven't heard of this actually happening, but unless the "owner" of the asset makes an attempt to enforce the ownership by paying a lawyer to c&d or actually sue the 'right-clickers' then the right clickers can claim abandonment. If they do sue, then the "owner" gets to try and make the case to prove what actual damages the right-clicker has caused. I'm sure the lawyers love the prospect, but its pretty dumb otherwise.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Golli posted:

I haven't heard of this actually happening, but unless the "owner" of the asset makes an attempt to enforce the ownership by paying a lawyer to c&d or actually sue the 'right-clickers' then the right clickers can claim abandonment. If they do sue, then the "owner" gets to try and make the case to prove what actual damages the right-clicker has caused. I'm sure the lawyers love the prospect, but its pretty dumb otherwise.

If the 'owner' doesn't get the copyright to the image alongside the NFT then I wouldn't think they have the grounds for any redress. Ownership of an NFT != ownership of the image.

And theres no alt code for not equals :/

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Dec 17, 2021

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/0sAR1XT.mp4

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Popete posted:

Star Atlas web browser game t0 released yesterday and it sure is a thing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIcZ2buPxG4

The "game" is you buy consumable resources and then send your ships on missions that generate Atlas coins. You don't actually do anything, just purchase resources and then add them to a ship.

Lethality is going to be absolutely over the moon. This is a game he can play without having to play it. That will fit real well with his busy schedule and little play time. Checkmate fudsters!

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

marumaru posted:

NFTs are loving stupid

YOU WOULDN'T DOWNLOAD AN IMAGE, WOULD YOU?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Golli posted:

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

If the 'owner' doesn't get the copyright to the image alongside the NFT then I wouldn't think they have the grounds for any redress. Ownership of an NFT != ownership of the image.

Yeah, this isn't even about the nasty ebil right-clickers — it's about the (in)ability to enforce said ownership, and how the enterprising host can trivially round up any number of suckers re-sell the same thing over and over again to them, and they'd all have the same problem of of actually making a case that it's specifically theirs and not someone else's.

If he's particularly kind, he might actually provide different URIs for that one asset — everyone gets their own alphanumeric string, and so what if they all point to the same .bmp? :D

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

trucutru posted:

Pffft, wait until they discover you can also PrtScr that poo poo.

these days a lot of streaming services blank out their screens if you try to take a screenshot. Super irritating, usually have to download some kind of sandbox environment to load a browser or video in to be able to take a drat screenshot. Who are they doing that for? Nobody is stealing a movie through screen capture, if I wanted to watch the content for free, I obviously always could elsewhere -- and they'd let me take screenshots.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

All they had to do was finish and release the single player campaign.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
Dunderheads who get annoyed about right-click-save-as have completely and utterly missed the point of the whole thing anyway. You're not buying the image - you're not buying anything except a funge in the chain

Blackstone
Feb 13, 2012

Tippis posted:

Just trying to understand this - let's say someone wants to certify ownership of a digital asset by an NFT. I get that the NFT (e.g. a coin on the Ethereum chain) is unique and identifiable. But what would prevent a third party of issueing more NFTs certifying ownership to the same digital asset?
I mean, my understanding of the idea of a blockchain is that it's a distributed database without a central authority. How do you link the NFT and the digital asset without a clearing authority or a central counterparty? Does the digital asset itself contain a reference to the NFT?

f;e just looked that up myself. The NFT and the digital asset are linked by the platform that sells it, i.e. a central, unprotected register. Is that right? That would be extremely dumb.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Khanstant posted:

these days a lot of streaming services blank out their screens if you try to take a screenshot. Super irritating, usually have to download some kind of sandbox environment to load a browser or video in to be able to take a drat screenshot. Who are they doing that for? Nobody is stealing a movie through screen capture, if I wanted to watch the content for free, I obviously always could elsewhere -- and they'd let me take screenshots.

That's just the nature of DRM in general. It only ever hinders legitimate owners and straight users from using the thing they own or otherwise legally access.

Blackstone posted:

f;e just looked that up myself. The NFT and the digital asset are linked by the platform that sells it, i.e. a central, unprotected register. Is that right? That would be extremely dumb.

Welcome to the blockchain.

It has its uses for when there is a single, agreed-upon common ledger that everyone hooks into and/or when you want a very clear chain of trust. Then you get the benefit of the decentralised verification and authorisation trust mechanism, but if it's about gaining access to something you “own”, that still requires that there is a central authority that actually checks the access against the ledger. It's the transaction record that is decentralised, not the access itself. If it's just “something stored somewhere, anywhere”, then anyone can just invent their own chain and create an “ownership” ledger, with no clear way of keeping people out.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Dec 17, 2021

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Blackstone posted:

Just trying to understand this - let's say someone wants to certify ownership of a digital asset by an NFT. I get that the NFT (e.g. a coin on the Ethereum chain) is unique and identifiable. But what would prevent a third party of issueing more NFTs certifying ownership to the same digital asset?
I mean, my understanding of the idea of a blockchain is that it's a distributed database without a central authority. How do you link the NFT and the digital asset without a clearing authority or a central counterparty? Does the digital asset itself contain a reference to the NFT?

That's right. It's dumb. It's extremely loving dumb. If you buy an NFT, all that you've bought is the NON FUNGIBLE TOKEN. You have not bought ANYTHING ELSE. You have not bought art, any kind of stake in anything, ownership rights to anything. End of. It is D U M B

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I have a lot of NFT's. Non-Flushable Turds.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I suspect you could make the NFT a 'bearer bond' for the copyright somehow, but a. I have no idea how (or if) this could be accomplished legally, and b. no NFT sellers is going to be arsed.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

I love NFT

Neo
From
The Matrix

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

I suspect you could make the NFT a 'bearer bond' for the copyright somehow, but a. I have no idea how (or if) this could be accomplished legally, and b. no NFT sellers is going to be arsed.

You can't by design. The loving creator of NFT (who coded this over a weekend Hackathon) said "the way you're using NFT is wrong, you cannot claim ownership of anything with it".
The only thing you own is your own receipt for buying the thing. That's it. The thing you bought is a completely separate from the purchase. Plus a lot of people do this wrong, by accident or on purpose, and don't even put the thing you buy on the Blockchain (which is why the environmental impact of NFTs is kinda overstated, but it's still significant), but a link/URL to the thing you bought, making you the owner of a proof of purchase for a string of letters and numbers, not the thing they show when a browser interpretes it.

D U M B

Blackstone
Feb 13, 2012

That is exactly the reason why I asked. If you need a clearer or central counterparty, there’s no added value to the NFT concept over classical securitization.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
D

U

M

B

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Blackstone posted:

That is exactly the reason why I asked. If you need a clearer or central counterparty, there’s no added value to the NFT concept over classical securitization.

In traditional methods you have to give up something to make a sale. With an NFT you don't have to convey anything.

Value to the buyer? No, none of that.