Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
While she is the rear end in a top hat for posting it ripping out your cameras and destroying them with hammers and ripping the doorbell out is some pretty insane poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
The doorbell was probably a ring, so another camera. But also very serial killer-esque. That said I don't think he was particularly wrong, especially if his "friends" were mocking him for hours.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I want to believe that's fake, like other reddit commentators, because jesus christ? Taking a sledge hammer to your own house? That's too much. This guy needs cbt or whatever for his anger issues. His emotions are legitimate, but his actions are unacceptable.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Yeah I'd be extremely upset too but holy poo poo, to go right to violent outbursts and divorce is bonkers. Imagine what he'd do if she cheated on him or something. As awful as she is I think the husband managed to appear worse.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

StrangersInTheNight posted:

while the woman may have indeed come from a time where infant mortality rates were much higher, I can't imagine it was ever good etiquette to predict to a stranger their child's imminent death

especially at the grocery store

context is key, here

People say completely insane poo poo if you are doing anything that doesn't fit their pre conceived notions regarding kids. For example, I took paternity leave so my wife could go back to work shortly after our oldest was born and I went grocery shopping on a weekday with my 3 month old and an older woman flat out asked me if my wife was dead because why else would a man be out food shopping with a child

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

op needs to tell the sister in law to munchausen deez nuts

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
If you're kicking her out of the house and getting a divorce you could just change the password on the amazon account for the Ring cameras.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
You could just unplug them or if they're analog unplug your DVR.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

While she is the rear end in a top hat for posting it ripping out your cameras and destroying them with hammers and ripping the doorbell out is some pretty insane poo poo.

rigging up some nightmare panopticon inside your own house like you're a fuckin SCP is insane poo poo. realizing what you've done and removing all that garbage posthaste is a brief stroke of sanity

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!
Just maybe this episode taught him how insanely bad idea surveillance cameras open to the internet are? Also, he didn't have a "violent episode", jesus christ. He pulled the cameras off the wall and crushed them, like any sensible person.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Smashing up the house is crazy, but it’s clear why this man hates anyone seeing him dance. I’m sure it’s not the only thing he’s been ridiculed over from friends/family before.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

the guy had an extreme reaction, yes, but this is after being made, in his eyes, an internetwide laughingstock for something he feels a sense of shame about. Also, his friends mocked him for it. he was forced to experience some pretty extreme and traumatic emotions because his ex wife had no respect for his boundaries. Lashing out at his property may not be rational but is understandable in context

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Lmao crushing them like a sensible person. They aren't robots who fix themselves. If you unplug them or take out the batteries they will no longer work I assure you.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
"He never let me share my side of the story" yeah I don't think "well I was drunk and really wanted to" is going to repair the relationship

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

It's not like he smashed her deceased husband's wedding ring.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
It’s also from the words of the person who wrote the post who obviously wants to paint his reaction as extreme. Coulda just disconnected them then broke them or whatever and that becomes “ripping them out from the walls”.

Sorta like the whole “I calmly said” while the other person was “screaming” narratives that constantly run through OP’s when they were a shithead to someone.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Mr. Lobe posted:

the guy had an extreme reaction, yes, but this is after being made, in his eyes, an internetwide laughingstock for something he feels a sense of shame about. Also, his friends mocked him for it. he was forced to experience some pretty extreme and traumatic emotions because his ex wife had no respect for his boundaries. Lashing out at his property may not be rational but is understandable in context

He was videotaped inside his house without his consent. That's a bit beyond "being laughed at".

killerwhat posted:

Smashing up the house is crazy, but it’s clear why this man hates anyone seeing him dance. I’m sure it’s not the only thing he’s been ridiculed over from friends/family before.

"All the in-home security cameras were ripped off the walls, smashed with a sledgehammer in the middle of the floor". He didn't "smash up the house". He destroyed some electronics.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

The sledgehammer part doesn't sound like embellishment though

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Some lady finds a spy cam on the bedside of a hookup that had been recording her without permission and breaks it.

Goons: “good heavens what a psychotic response, I’m going to suggest she was close to committing domestic violence with such unhinged behavior”

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

good lord there's a lot of absolute psychopaths crawling out of the woodwork itt to call breaking your own $20 security camera "violent", absolute Fox News brain

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

B-Rock452 posted:

People say completely insane poo poo if you are doing anything that doesn't fit their pre conceived notions regarding kids. For example, I took paternity leave so my wife could go back to work shortly after our oldest was born and I went grocery shopping on a weekday with my 3 month old and an older woman flat out asked me if my wife was dead because why else would a man be out food shopping with a child

This was in one of the Slate advice columns this morning:

quote:

I’m terrified my daughter is going to kill her unborn child. She is 32-weeks pregnant and continues to do HIIT workouts like sprint drills or Tae-Bo daily and is lifting weights three times a week! She even increased her weights from 10-pound dumbbells to 20 and a 44 barbell during her third trimester because she said the smaller ones weren’t cutting it anymore! She says her OB said it is fine, as long as she exercised at this level before (which she did) … but come on. She is going to hurt herself or the baby! And she continues to get laser facials (four this pregnancy) with topical numbing cream (she says the OB and dermatologist both said it was fine and less risky than getting a Novocain injection) and uses glycolic acid body lotions (again, she claims to have been told glycolic is safe) to prevent stretch marks. This is going to come back to bite her by hurting the physical or cognitive well-being of her kid! Please help me make her see some sense!

CabaretVoltaire
Jun 10, 2003
Better than Turin Brakes.
I Dont Dance either and am extremely uptight but I’d like to think I could laugh that off. Smashing the cameras + divorce is a bit much.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Mr. Lobe posted:

He's an adult. Becoming violent is not sensible or reasonable, no matter how traumatized you want to diagnose someone as. That guy who was stalked by the internet and and accused of everything from infidelity to being a serial killer has a better reason to ever throw a violent tantrum.

https://slate.com/technology/2021/12/tiktok-couch-guy-internet-sleuths.html

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
He can do whatever he wants it's his house but ripping out cameras from the wall is a bad idea for a multitude of reasons.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

value-brand cereal posted:

He's an adult. Becoming violent is not sensible or reasonable, no matter how traumatized you want to diagnose someone as. That guy who was stalked by the internet and and accused of everything from infidelity to being a serial killer has a better reason to ever throw a violent tantrum.

https://slate.com/technology/2021/12/tiktok-couch-guy-internet-sleuths.html

are you planning to go get a gun to defend yourself from this madman's violent and unconscionable assault upon the appliances, Mr. Rittenhouse?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm someone who doesn't really dance, specially not in public. My wife always hated this because she adores dancing and could not understand why I wouldn't want to always dance in public or felt embarrassed about it. I've done a lot to get over it, but if that husband was anything like me then being seen dancing is about on a level as being filmed doing nude yoga or something in terms of embarrassment and violation. Not sure I'd smash up the house but I could imagine a similar level of rage and betrayal if I was in his shoes a few years ago.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Mr. Lobe posted:

The sledgehammer part doesn't sound like embellishment though
Really? How many people even have a sledge hammer? How do you smash little cameras with a sledgehammer without also smashing through your floor in your mcmansion?

The sledgehammer part is either obvious embellishment or OP doesn't know what a sledgehammer is.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Personally I'd lose my loving mind if someone posted a clip of me without my consent and it started going "viral"

I could also never, ever trust someone who thought it was remotely okay to do that as well. This isn't some goof like forgetting a birthday it's one of the worst ways you can violate someone's trust by making them feel unsafe in the privacy of their own home.

She deserves every bad thing that happens to her.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Baronjutter posted:

I'm someone who doesn't really dance, specially not in public. My wife always hated this because she adores dancing and could not understand why I wouldn't want to always dance in public or felt embarrassed about it. I've done a lot to get over it, but if that husband was anything like me then being seen dancing is about on a level as being filmed doing nude yoga or something in terms of embarrassment and violation. Not sure I'd smash up the house but I could imagine a similar level of rage and betrayal if I was in his shoes a few years ago.

Call me crazy, but I get the feeling from the post that this is something they'd argued about many times before and her recording him and then posting it publicly without his permission was the last straw.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Really? How many people even have a sledge hammer? How do you smash little cameras with a sledgehammer without also smashing through your floor in your mcmansion?

The sledgehammer part is either obvious embellishment or OP doesn't know what a sledgehammer is.

...most people who do their own home repairs, or work on their cars, or anything of that nature? They're available at Lowe's right next to the shovels. I have no particular opinion on the class of hammer involved in this guy's escape from the Truman Show, because lol, but that's not really an exotic weapon of cameracide

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 17, 2021

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

"We were doing renovations in other parts of our house and a lot of his tools, including the sledgehammer, were in the house."

Doesn't have to be two-handed overhead full power into the parquet. Could be just crushed against a work table.

pentyne posted:

Personally I'd lose my loving mind if someone posted a clip of me without my consent and it started going "viral"

I could also never, ever trust someone who thought it was remotely okay to do that as well. This isn't some goof like forgetting a birthday it's one of the worst ways you can violate someone's trust by making them feel unsafe in the privacy of their own home.

Seems some people are stuck on "embarrassing dancing" and not "used surveillance to spy on partner without their knowledge".

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Dude is probably both humiliated and heartbroken so I'm willing to cut a little slack on not being super 100% concerned with the state of his drywall when disposing of the instrument of betrayal.

His reaction is extreme but it's clear to him this was an extreme betrayal... it sounds like he's surrounded by bullies, his "friends" mock for hours him for dancing, his wife posts a video of a private moment without his consent, her friends egging her on. Dude let his emotions out a little when he thought he was safe and his wife made sure he wasn't.

It's strange that he feels so strongly about this to jump straight to divorce but just how strange depends on the health of the relationship before this happened, which is beyond the scope of the AITA post.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

...most people who do their own home repairs, or work on their cars, or anything of that nature? They're available at Lowe's right next to the shovels. I have no particular opinion on the class of hammer involved, because lol, but that's not really an exotic weapon of cameracide
I've never repaired a car, so I guess I'm the ignorant one, what are you using a sledgehammer to repair?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The husband probably didn't use what most people think a "real" sledgehammer is in his living room, he probably used a normal hammer and the wife used hyperbole for dramatic effect

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I concede it was wrong to call this guys reaction a violent outburst but god drat lol at the massive argument it's causing. I had no idea that post was gonna spark an /r/relationships civil war

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I've never repaired a car, so I guess I'm the ignorant one, what are you using a sledgehammer to repair?

Frozen pins and bolts if you care about the car, whatever looks good if you're my uncle

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I think we need a hammer expert before we discuss this any further.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

What if he didn't use a hammer but a mallet instead? Does that make it better or worse?

Lasca
May 8, 2007

I'm going to call it violent. Doesn't matter of it was only some $20 cam or it's his and he can do what he wants with it or he was just soo embarrassed. Getting mad and smashing poo poo is extreme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I think we need a hammer expert before we discuss this any further.

Hopefully that will end this e-peen contest