Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

did we just reinvent sailing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

The Wisest Moron posted:

That's genuinely probably the best you can do. This thread is not going to help you at all. Maybe limit yourself to only checking in every couple of weeks?

As for your executive disfunction, finding a way to tackle that is probably going to pay the greatest dividends for your mental health. Feeling comfortable and in control of your living space is going to form the backbone of your mental health. There are strategies for dealing with it that don't involve medication but do require practicing self discipline. Making yourself a schedule, keeping to do lists, and writing in a journal will all help. The ADHD community will have tons of specific strategies that don't involve medication.

In terms of alienating friends and family by being a Cassandra, well this is tough. I think people have all kinds of motivations for this but at least for myself the big two are ethical obligation and needing to be right. If you feel the need to repeatedly try to convince people of the coming doom because you have an ethical obligation to warn of impending danger you should try to internalize the idea that you are not obligated to convince anyone of anything. The information is all out there, people have every opportunity in the world to actually educate themselves. The problem isn't that they don't know, the problem is that they don't want to know. By all means be honest about your opinion if it comes up organically, but there is nothing to be gained by forcing the issue and again you are not obligated to do so. As for needing to be proven correct, well that one is tough and I'm still working on it but I think the key lies in building your self esteem up in other areas of you life and relationship. You have value outside of your knowledge. Work on finding and developing that.

This really helps, thanks! I have started working on the first paragraph. The second is probably the best explanation I have found for this paradox. :)

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Melting of Ice Sheets Is Dramatic, But Melting of Permafrost Means Mass Death

quote:

According to a 2019 report in Nature, the vast zone of frozen earth that covers about a quarter of the Northern Hemisphere is a sprawling storehouse for about 1.6 trillion metric tons of carbon — twice the amount already in the atmosphere. Current models “assume that permafrost thaws gradually from the surface downwards,” slowly releasing methane and carbon dioxide into the atmosphere. But frozen soil also “physically holds the landscape together” and so its thawing can rip the surface open erratically, exposing ever-larger areas to the sun.

To add a dangerous wild card to such an already staggering panorama of potential destruction, about 700,000 square miles of Siberia also contain a form of methane-rich permafrost called yedoma, which forms a layer of ice 30 to 260 feet deep. As rising temperatures melt that icy permafrost, expanding lakes (which now cover 30% of Siberia) will serve as even greater conduits for the release of such methane, which will bubble up from their melting bottoms to escape into the atmosphere.

[url=https://siberiantimes.com/other/others/news/siberias-stark-warning-to-scotland-for-cop26-climate-change-in-the-planets-last-great-wilderness/]Siberia’s stark warning to Scotland for Cop26: climate change in the planet’s last great wilderness

quote:

Bubble clouds are rising from a depth of around 300 metres along a large undersea slope, Air concentrations of 16-32 ppm.

300 meters was deemed "Impossible " by scientists, as CH4 should dissolve in the water column. Either they were wrong, or this methane is being ejected with considerable force and volume.

I continue to believe and act as if I will be going back to work this summer, happily building more turbines, but deep inside I have a strong sense of finality about things. We'll see.

Rime has issued a correction as of 21:59 on Dec 17, 2021

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I was thinking subway could start using carbon as filler for its sandwich ingredients.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Rime posted:

I continue to believe and act as if I will be going back to work this summer, happily building more turbines, but deep inside I have a strong sense of finality about things. We'll see.

dumb question: why do you think these effects are going to be felt in the next year instead of like, 5-10-20 years?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

splifyphus posted:

oh c'mon man. if it's too late to give a poo poo about anything, it's way too loving late to censor ourselves for the capitalist big other. what do you have to lose?
eh, i didn't think it was remove worthy, but it's for Rime to post (or remove) if he thought it was problematic. however, for your benefit, and i think it is important for all the dweebs thinking wind will save us, i will post something i found from a worker on reddit /collapse/. basically new turbines are very bad and breaking right away, many dead before they're installed; across all manufacturers. blades are bad and failed design. there has been tens of thousands of premature blade failures in just america alone, all massively well under their supposed life

now maybe north american corps are just particularly bad, but also german and danish manufacturers are virtually bankrupt because they're making bad things that aren't working, many doa, and having to cover costs to replace with further parts that aren't lasting and costs are spiraling. fossil fuels are just so much cheaper to stick a straw in the ground and burn it up

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Tempora Mutantur posted:

dumb question: why do you think these effects are going to be felt in the next year instead of like, 5-10-20 years?

Because we felt these effects This Year. They have already directly killed thousands and caused hundreds of billions in infrastructure damage and spiked the price of basic agricultural products. This is an exponential breakdown, not a linear function, it gets dramatically worse rapidly now. Global weather events clearly went off the rails beginning in 2019 and our civilization is already on the rocks of holding itself together.

Rime posted:

From killer heatwaves to floods, climate change worsened weather extremes in 2021

quote:

Extreme weather events in 2021 shattered records around the globe. Hundreds died in storms and heatwaves. Farmers struggled with drought, and in some cases with locust plagues. Wildfires set new records for carbon emissions, while swallowing forests, towns and homes.
Many of these events were exacerbated by climate change. Scientists say there are more to come – and worse – as the Earth's atmosphere continues to warm through the next decade and beyond.

Here are some of the events Reuters witnessed over the past year: 

February — A blistering cold spell hit normally warm Texas, killing 125 people in the state and leaving millions without power in freezing temperatures.

Scientists have not reached a conclusion on whether climate change caused the extreme weather, but the warming of the Arctic is causing more unpredictable weather around the globe.

February — Kenya and other parts of East Africa battled some of the worst locust plagues in decades, with the insects destroying crops and grazing grounds. Scientists say that unusual weather patterns exacerbated by climate change created ideal conditions for insects to thrive.

March — Beijing's sky turned orange and flights were grounded during the Chinese capital's worst sandstorm in a decade.

Busloads of volunteers arrive in the desert each year to plant trees, which can stabilize the soil and serve as a wind buffer. Scientists predict climate change will worsen desertification, as hotter summers and drier winters reduce moisture levels.

June — Nearly all of the western United States was gripped by a drought that emerged in early 2020. Farmers abandoned crops, officials announced emergency measures, and the Hoover Dam reservoir hit an all-time low.

By September, the U.S. government confirmed that over the prior 20 months, the Southwest experienced the lowest precipitation in over a century, and it linked the drought to climate change.

June — Hundreds died during a record-smashing heatwave in the U.S. and Canadian Pacific Northwest, which scientists concluded would have been "virtually impossible" without climate change.

Over several days, power lines melted and roads buckled. Cities, struggling to cope with the heat, opened cooling centers to protect their residents. During the heatwave, Portland, Oregon, hit an all-time record high of 116 Fahrenheit (46.7 Celsius). Lytton BC, 800km to the North, hit 50c.

July — Catastrophic flooding killed more than 300 people in central China's Henan province when a year's worth of rain fell in just three days.

Meanwhile in Europe, nearly 200 people died as torrential rains soaked Germany, Belgium and the Netherlands. Scientists concluded that climate change had made the floods 20% more likely to occur.

July — A record heatwave and drought in the U.S. West gave rise to two massive wildfires that tore through California and Oregon and were among the largest in the history of both states.

Scientists say both the growing frequency and the intensity of wildfires are largely attributable to prolonged drought and increasing bouts of excessive heat from climate change.

July — Large parts of South America are suffering from a prolonged drought. While Chile is enduring a decade-long megadrought linked to global warming, this year Brazil saw one of its driest years in a century.

In Argentina, the Parana, South America's second-longest river, fell to its lowest level since 1944.

Around the globe, heatwaves are becoming both more frequent and more severe.

August — In the Mediterranean, a hot and dry summer fanned intense blazes that forced thousands of people to evacuate their homes in Algeria, Greece and Turkey.

The fires, which killed two people in Greece and at least 65 in Algeria, struck amid an intense heatwave, with some places in Greece recording temperatures of over 46 Celsius (115 Fahrenheit).

Late August — Nearly all the world's mountain glaciers are retreating due to global warming. In the Alps, Swiss resort employees laid protective blankets over one of Mount Titlis's glaciers during the summer months to preserve what ice is left.

Switzerland already has lost 500 of its glaciers, and could lose 90% of the 1,500 that remain by the end of the century if global emissions continue to rise, the government said.

August/September — Hurricane Ida, which hit Louisiana as a Category 4 storm, killed nearly 100 people in the United States and caused an estimated $64 billion in damage, according to the NOAA National Centers for Environmental Information.

As the remnants of Ida moved inland, the heavy rains created flash flooding across the densely populated Northeast, vastly increasing the storm's death toll.

Climate change is strengthening hurricanes, while also causing them to linger longer over land – dumping more rain on an area before moving on. Studies also suggest these storms are becoming more frequent in the North Atlantic.

September — Infrastructure and homes in Russia are increasingly in peril as underground permafrost melts and deforms the land underneath them.

Permafrost was once a stable construction base, in some regions staying frozen as far back as the last Ice Age. But rising global temperatures threaten the layer of ice, soil, rocks, sand and organic matter.

November — The worst floods in 60 years in South Sudan have affected about 780,000 people, or one in every 14 residents, according to the U.N. refugee agency. Every year the county goes through a rainy season, but flooding has set records for three years in a row. The destruction will likely increase as temperatures rise, scientists say.

November — A massive storm dumped a month's worth of rain over two days in the Canadian province of British Columbia, unleashing floods and mudslides that destroyed roads, railroads and bridges. It is likely the most expensive natural disaster in Canada's history, although officials are still assessing the damage.

Meteorologists said the rain had come from an atmospheric river, or a stream of water vapor stretching hundreds of miles long from the tropics. Atmospheric rivers are expected to become larger — and possibly more destructive — with climate change, scientists say.

:hmmyes:

Since that was written, two weeks ago, we've had a five-state EF-5 tornado cell destroy entire towns, and the dust storms / wildfires / "Lightning storm with embedded tornadoes" thing in Colorado. The article also doesn't touch on us having had a partial breadbasket failure across the Canadian Prairies due to record drought, conditions which I am staring at as I type this and which if extended into next year will gently caress up our food supply in a very real way.

Why should be bullish that our remarkably fragile civilization, and with it my ability to feed myself, is going to limp any further if this worsens exponentially again next year? It is mid-December and the Siberian Arctic is spewing enough methane to be visible from space. It'll be nice if we catch a breather, but I'm no longer inclined to be optimistic.

Just gonna enjoy time with my family and friends, and see how it plays out. My gut says we're in for a ride. :shrug:

Rime has issued a correction as of 22:18 on Dec 17, 2021

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
we require more chicken tenders

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
I definitely feel the friend and family ostricization from being thread aware.

My interactions started when my sister's wedding occured out doors near a river while literal still burning ash fell all over her white dress and the band refused to play due to smoke inhalation.

I've tried to sit them down one at a time and try and convince them of what is coming as best I can. Trying to be sensitive to the psychological trauma it brings and try to be there to guide them through the process. Also with friends.

Outside of one friend and a cousin, I am widely considered to be a very depressed and disturbed individual. I have an engineering master's. The only person in my family to have any science degree whatsoever. No one can hear it. They thrash and putty me for being part of some doomsday conspiracy theory and it hurts

The reason I would like them to know is that I love them. While nothing can be stopped, there are potential things that can be done in groups to try and soften the blow. Even if that is setting advanced directives or reconsidering ones wishes on how they may want to spend the remaining days or pass on.

I've acquired some land and a home with several additional dwelling units and have nothing left to do but to try and do what I can to be a refuge eventually to my loved ones when it all becomes too much to bare. It's all I can do. Even if they think I'm crazy. It's not their fault. I just I hope I'm strong enough long enough so at least my nieces and nephews have some place they can go that isn't a refugee camp and have a right ng chance at a few extra days of the human experience in relation ve peace, whatever that means to them

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Rime posted:

Siberia’s stark warning to Scotland for Cop26: climate change in the planet’s last great wilderness

300 meters was deemed "Impossible " by scientists, as CH4 should dissolve in the water column. Either they were wrong, or this methane is being ejected with considerable force and volume.

friendly reminder for people who aren't Rime that due to methane's potency an air concentration of 16-32 ppm is equivalent to 400-800 CO2 ppm. Mauna Loa reads about 415ppm now so...

as I recall the really spicy cloud fuckery was due to start at temperatures caused by 800-1200 CO2 ppm equivalent in the atmosphere

wonder what Siberian cloud cover is going to look like in the next couple of years

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Basic Poster posted:

My interactions started when my sister's wedding occured out doors near a river while literal still burning ash fell all over her white dress and the band refused to play due to smoke inhalation.

I've tried to sit them down one at a time and try and convince them of what is coming as best I can. Trying to be sensitive to the psychological trauma it brings and try to be there to guide them through the process. Also with friends.

Outside of one friend and a cousin, I am widely considered to be a very depressed and disturbed individual. I have an engineering master's. The only person in my family to have any science degree whatsoever. No one can hear it. They thrash and putty me for being part of some doomsday conspiracy theory and it hurts

The reason I would like them to know is that I love them. While nothing can be stopped, there are potential things that can be done in groups to try and soften the blow. Even if that is setting advanced directives or reconsidering ones wishes on how they may want to spend the remaining days or pass on.

I've acquired some land and a home with several additional dwelling units and have nothing left to do but to try and do what I can to be a refuge eventually to my loved ones when it all becomes too much to bare. It's all I can do. Even if they think I'm crazy. It's not their fault. I just I hope I'm strong enough long enough so at least my nieces and nephews have some place they can go that isn't a refugee camp and have a right ng chance at a few extra days of the human experience in relation ve peace, whatever that means to them

outright denial to just shut the topic the gently caress down is going to be the response of the vast majority of people

It's still not wrong to approach them as long as you aren't going all Anakin Skywalker about it

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i figure anyone that's going to jump on this bandwagon will find this information on their own at this point. there's just no way to talk about it without sounding like a crank and even among us believers there is considerable disagreement about timelines because predicting this stuff is pretty loving hard. i drop hints to people that i think could be interested and there are a few people i have shared details with that i knew would be receptive and at least not think i'm a crank, but beyond that it's not worth being ostracized for since i believe we're already hosed.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Complications posted:

friendly reminder for people who aren't Rime that due to methane's potency an air concentration of 16-32 ppm is equivalent to 400-800 CO2 ppm. Mauna Loa reads about 415ppm now so...

as I recall the really spicy cloud fuckery was due to start at temperatures caused by 800-1200 CO2 ppm equivalent in the atmosphere

wonder what Siberian cloud cover is going to look like in the next couple of years

you can't really equate concentrations of methane in bubbles in sea water with atmospheric concentrations.

quote:

Scientists identified half a dozen “mega seeps” and found concentration of atmospheric methane above these fields reaching 16-32ppm (parts per million). This is up to 15 times the planetary average of 1.85ppm.

to even roughly calculate the impact on atmospheric concentrations of methane you would need the volume of methane released, which is data we don't have. but for it to raise atomspheric concentrations to 16-32ppm all by itself these seeps would have to be emitting a significant percentage of the total atmosphere.

not that this is good, but that we're missing a key data point required to extrapolate out to atmospheric concentrations and atmospheric co2e

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Complications posted:

Probably lots of very pretty noctilucent clouds :)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Basic Poster posted:

i don't like this post, its one of those posts that end up in qcs because it's cringe. is it a copy+paste? it feels like a c/p. now don't take it personally, keep on truckin' n postin'

if it's not a c/p, well, all i can say is don't bother. nobody likes a guy with a handmade sign shouting infront of the college campus that rapture is coming. western, especially americans, don't like to think about death (i made a post itt speculating about why that is a few weeks ago). infact we hate it, and we hate anything that reminds us of mortality.

people are, rightfully, wrongfully, going to distance themselves from you. like look at all the 'loony uncle boomers' that spent years talking about how fbi killed mlk jr at thanksgiving dinner and everyone would just roll their eyes. it's right, they literally did, but also no one cares, especially not in the social mores we live in

so yes if you value people talking to you, don't a 'doomer' outside of 'haha sure weird weather we've having lately right?? man its cray-cray right??'. and that's okay, we are all only capital-trained atomized humans after all. anyways sounds like you came to the right conclussion after all so tis all good

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I offhandedly said "rest of my life" in front of my boss at the work function today and she said "what? another 15 years?", referencing what I always say during climate discussions, and laughed. I corrected her and said "15 years at best" and she laughed and everyone else laughed. She does also take climate seriously though and she's in at least half agreement. Everyone loves me and I'm not ostracized at all? Are you guys like frowning and very solemn and serious when you talk about this stuff or like? I tell everyone I'm totally serious but they seriously shouldn't worry about it too much, just enough to prepare. Nihilism.jpg, it's lighthearted news

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

The Wisest Moron posted:

That's genuinely probably the best you can do. This thread is not going to help you at all. Maybe limit yourself to only checking in every couple of weeks?

As for your executive disfunction, finding a way to tackle that is probably going to pay the greatest dividends for your mental health. Feeling comfortable and in control of your living space is going to form the backbone of your mental health. There are strategies for dealing with it that don't involve medication but do require practicing self discipline. Making yourself a schedule, keeping to do lists, and writing in a journal will all help. The ADHD community will have tons of specific strategies that don't involve medication.

In terms of alienating friends and family by being a Cassandra, well this is tough. I think people have all kinds of motivations for this but at least for myself the big two are ethical obligation and needing to be right. If you feel the need to repeatedly try to convince people of the coming doom because you have an ethical obligation to warn of impending danger you should try to internalize the idea that you are not obligated to convince anyone of anything. The information is all out there, people have every opportunity in the world to actually educate themselves. The problem isn't that they don't know, the problem is that they don't want to know. By all means be honest about your opinion if it comes up organically, but there is nothing to be gained by forcing the issue and again you are not obligated to do so. As for needing to be proven correct, well that one is tough and I'm still working on it but I think the key lies in building your self esteem up in other areas of you life and relationship. You have value outside of your knowledge. Work on finding and developing that.

This is helpful for me too man, thanks. You're totally right, and I already know that you can't really convince someone of anything if they're not already open to being convinced. To be a correctly interpolated capitalist subject is already be incapable of being swayed by argumentation anyways.

That being said, I'm going full Cassandra, and I just don't give a gently caress what anybody thinks of it. I'm alienating the poo poo out of friends and coworkers, and I've already lost friends because of it - good loving riddance. I just dgaf anymore. It's worth it to me to be open and up front about who I am and what I'm about, if only because it means liberals go way the gently caress out of their way to avoid me.

Making small talk with liberals on liberal terrain is psychic torture anyways. If you don't want to think, feel, or care about anything but yourself, then I give exactly the same amount of fucks about you as you do about anything outside of your self inflicted lobotomy. loving off and leaving me alone is exactly what I want you to do.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Basic Poster posted:

lmfao, the poor bastard who has to clean that poo poo up...

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Like when someone says drat the weather is crazy the correct response is "did you hear about what happened in [x] at [y time] (usually concurrently or yesterday)? What about [x] at [y time]? Haha Yeah everything's going bonkers everywhere lol we are very seriously dead within like a decade and a half lmao." With current weather this is insanely simple to do

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

The trick is to talk about the death of our biosphere like it's the coolest science thing ever. Wow look at all these awesome physical processes. What? Oh yeah, those islands definitely will be underwater thanks for asking. Anyway, let me tell you about anaerobic respiration in anoxic waters it's really neat.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

don’t reference climate change unless you’re using gallows humor to others. if after your first interaction, they look at you like you grew a third head or they disagree with you, just stop and let them enjoy their ignorance

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
People have asked me how come it doesn't bother me all that much. Short answer is I was born naked and screaming into the world with guarantees of nothing. No one promised me 78 and half years and they couldn't possibly. At most times in history I'd probably be long dead after being drafted as a child soldier or dead after being killed by child soldiers. "Life getting cut short" contains a lie, life never promises a single thing ever. Try to enjoy what time you have cause that's literally all there is to do

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
My hometown will prob be underwater, i told my aunt to divest of her beachfront properties, but she laughed at me.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

My family keeps asking when I am going to buy a house but I am terrified of getting into debt and nohwere looks safe. I live in Norway now which I have no idea if it's a safe or unsafe place. And I am a foreigner which automatically makes it unsafe I guess. Back home is also going to fall as well. I don't understand how "Just get some land" helps, it's not like everyone on earth can afford it. Enjoying myself is all i have left. I just wish at least everyone was on the same page so i didn't feel so alone.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Like when someone says drat the weather is crazy the correct response is "did you hear about what happened in [x] at [y time] (usually concurrently or yesterday)? What about [x] at [y time]? Haha Yeah everything's going bonkers everywhere lol we are very seriously dead within like a decade and a half lmao." With current weather this is insanely simple to do

yeah i guess now that i think about it, when anyone says "wow crazy weather" or whatever i pointedly mention our climate is turbofucked so what did they expect? then i smile (or make a smiley emoji b/c 75% of the time it's in slack or teams now) and change the subject.

so i guess i don't hide my beliefs exactly, but i also don't go on at length about them or infodump on people

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Cold on a Cob posted:

"wow crazy weather"

same as it ever will be

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

Xaris posted:

i don't like this post, its one of those posts that end up in qcs because it's cringe. is it a copy+paste? it feels like a c/p. now don't take it personally, keep on truckin' n postin'

Hey Xaris. I feel like I've been ready ng your posts for 15 years and I always appreciate what you have the say. This isn't copy paste. Just me.

I appreciate what you are saying now, too.

I guess there are just a few people in my family that I'd really like to have in this with me and that's the frustrating part. Like not literally have them with me physically or become doomers but they are capable, talented, smart and could really help move the needle in my project to help soften the blows to the folks in my tribe. And they just won't. They refuse to even engage in conversations like "I'm building a green house, how do you think the best way to sort out this heat pump, how would you machine this, how would you clamp this weld" etc.

I just feel like I could do more if I had they ears and heads and I don't because they think I'm caught up in a liberal hoax. I guess I should just stop trying to create refuge and comfort and just smoke weed and do what I want. I don't know. You guys are good people and I'm just venting here. They ng to cope. Trying to find community. Trying to take care of my mental health.

Homeless Friend posted:

lmfao, the poor bastard who has to clean that poo poo up...

It was at my parents house, in their seventies. I cleaned it up. Almost alone while the bridal party and guests went to a beach also covered in smoke an ash for the next few days. It felt like meditation and I was happy to do it so my parents didn't.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
We watch as forests burn and seas rise. As the worst tendencies of humanity are championed by those in power; rage, fear, greed and apathy. We see every injustice, every conflict, every catastrophe flash up on our screens. We stay complacent and consume to forget our complicity in the structures and systems that sustain that behaviour. As the world teeters on the edge of disaster, we sigh and keep scrolling, the uneasy feeling in our stomachs eating away at us a little more each day.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Basic Poster posted:

It was at my parents house, in their seventies. I cleaned it up. Almost alone while the bridal party and guests went to a beach also covered in smoke an ash for the next few days. It felt like meditation and I was happy to do it so my parents didn't.

lol not the grounds,etc. thats hmm not easy, but largely just labor intensive. the dress itself tho... unless they trashed it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

chalk my skies, bill

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
burn da world, my final message

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

AceOfFlames posted:

My family keeps asking when I am going to buy a house but I am terrified of getting into debt and nohwere looks safe. I live in Norway now which I have no idea if it's a safe or unsafe place. And I am a foreigner which automatically makes it unsafe I guess. Back home is also going to fall as well. I don't understand how "Just get some land" helps, it's not like everyone on earth can afford it. Enjoying myself is all i have left. I just wish at least everyone was on the same page so i didn't feel so alone.

for god's sake don't gently caress your life up because some guy on the internet told you to buy a house in the middle of nowhere
can you use some common loving sense

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

mr gates, my atmosphere yearns for carbinates

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

so how long before people wake up to and shut down the traditional US economy? 5 years? 10? 15? 20?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

never. its domes til doomsday

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

my friend worked at a severely understaffed, underfunded nonprofit dedicated to homeless services for a while. he would basically go around to all the hotspots throughout the city where he was most likely to find his clients and whenever he could find them, he would try to help them fill out paperwork and register for food stamps or help line up their next appointment with their therapist. that was about all he could do. awesome, good to see you again, hopefully when i find you next week you'll be alive!

if he ever saw any of his clients start to fall into hopelessness, lethargy or despair, as the criminally underserved are wont to do, there wasn't much he could do to help them. however he told me there was one piece of advice he would offer to them that seemed to be pretty consistently effective: "get a dog." when his clients had a lil street dog to look after, without exception he'd watch their mood start to stabilize, they'd be happier in general and oftentimes more lucid as well. even if their circumstances worsened.

get a dog, thread. the shelters are full. if you've been wondering lately whether you have the time or the resources to nurture life better than a shelter, the answer is yes. you can have a little buddy to run away from the hypernadoes with. a loyal friendo who will guard your stronghold when you're off administering karmic retribution against [REDACTED] in minecraft

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Basic Poster posted:

Hey Xaris. I feel like I've been ready ng your posts for 15 years and I always appreciate what you have the say. This isn't copy paste. Just me.
god drat it's been too long: a little under half of my life posting on these dead forums lol

Fair enough but yeah everyone needs to vent once in awhile. idk there isn't a good answer. i personally don't find blood a very convincing tie so it can be better to find community outside of it; reality is most people are too alienated and carefully sculpted to be good little consumers and fill void in consumption and media. and that's okay, they're happy doing it. but there's also a lot who aren't and a lot who will freely lol and probably help you build a greenhouse. i think your family there has already mentally crossed you off a long long time ago

the past year i've been taking a lot of pottery, stained glass, and archery classes at some local studios and met a lot of cool down-to-earth ppl there and i can lol with them about things being bad but also very funny. i've gotten good at lead foiling glass now and throwing clay on wheels. terrible shot with a bow tho, turns out cultivating all those high-dpi twitch fps skills is worthless, who knew?? anyways we aren't the star of the show, the messiah, and self-martyring is a coping mechanism that we use to turn our sensation of want-to-do and helplessness to say if we just soak up the misery ourselves then we're doing something -- it doesn't. anyways its fun to make some stuff and show it off. build da green house

Alamani57
Dec 15, 2010

God Hole posted:

get a dog, thread. the shelters are full. if you've been wondering lately whether you have the time or the resources to nurture life better than a shelter, the answer is yes. you can have a little buddy to run away from the hypernadoes with. a loyal friendo who will guard your stronghold when you're off administering karmic retribution against [REDACTED] in minecraft

https://nypost.com/2021/12/17/rampa...evenge-massacre

quote:

Villagers told the outlet the killings started about a month ago when a few dogs killed an infant monkey and since then, the moment a dog is spotted, simians are apparently snatching up the pups and dragging them somewhere high to drop them to their deaths.

Nearly all of the pups in the Beed district have been killed, but the monkeys still haven’t stopped and are now targeting small children en route to school, the outlet said.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

somebody photoshop chevron execs killing a baby monkey quick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

AceOfFlames posted:

This really helps, thanks! I have started working on the first paragraph. The second is probably the best explanation I have found for this paradox. :)

I'm glad you found something useful there, I hope you can make some lasting positive changes. Personal discipline is probably the hardest part. That and not reading CSPAM lol. I will yell at you if I see you posting around here over the next few days.

splifyphus posted:

This is helpful for me too man, thanks. You're totally right, and I already know that you can't really convince someone of anything if they're not already open to being convinced. To be a correctly interpolated capitalist subject is already be incapable of being swayed by argumentation anyways.

That being said, I'm going full Cassandra, and I just don't give a gently caress what anybody thinks of it. I'm alienating the poo poo out of friends and coworkers, and I've already lost friends because of it - good loving riddance. I just dgaf anymore. It's worth it to me to be open and up front about who I am and what I'm about, if only because it means liberals go way the gently caress out of their way to avoid me.

Making small talk with liberals on liberal terrain is psychic torture anyways. If you don't want to think, feel, or care about anything but yourself, then I give exactly the same amount of fucks about you as you do about anything outside of your self inflicted lobotomy. loving off and leaving me alone is exactly what I want you to do.

Glad I could be helpful. I haven't quite hit the no fucks left to give phase but I feel myself getting there. I'm certain that I'll eventually become the town's sandwich board crank.