Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
Takin the one hundred one south this weekend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

i do not bother remembering which highway is which. when are you all referring to them by name?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

A good tweet about LAPD

https://twitter.com/Loganchance/status/1471283566956847106?s=20

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Centrist Committee posted:

Takin the one hundred one south this weekend

You can even call it "ten-one" to be really pedantic about highway numbering rules!

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

https://twitter.com/Loganchance/status/1471284591386189827?t=rEi7H_zNsF5Wd01bSOBs7g&s=19

acab

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

There's always more and it's always worse.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

of course the police state is in the pocket of big taco bell, why wouldn't it be?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

hmm, that could really give them a big edge in the franchise wars

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

This tweet was labeled a potential danger

https://twitter.com/dril/status/1468501535076151299?s=20

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Can mods change the forums quote header text to be “this post was labeled as a potential danger”.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

withak posted:

Can mods change the forums quote header text to be “this post was labeled as a potential danger”.

More appropriate for C-SPAM, really.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Los Angeles Potential Danger

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

First graffiti I ever saw was on an LA overpass. "Daryl Gates is a fascist pig"

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
LA driving chat: I once told my husband to take the 405 north to the 101 south. His response: "madness"

I love to challenge Google Maps, it often tells me to do some terrible, terrible routes and I see if my own way around beats their time. I usually save myself 5 minutes at least, especially when I see a dozen other cars ahead of me head down the tiny residential streets Google is routing us through. I wonder if there's a way to petition Google to remove their neighborhood as suggested cut-through streets.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Google is absolutely obsessed with directing you to cross nonstop divided-lane traffic from a residential street stop sign or take a left turn from such.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

of course the police state is in the pocket of big taco bell, why wouldn't it be?

i hink you'll find that the algorithm determining statements purporting that taco bell is not real mexican a "potential danger" suggests quite the opposite

withak posted:

MODS

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
I was under the impression Google’s algorithm is deliberately ‘spreading traffic out’, directing users to use different routes so that not everyone is routed to the same place at the same time.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

droll posted:

I was under the impression Google’s algorithm is deliberately ‘spreading traffic out’, directing users to use different routes so that not everyone is routed to the same place at the same time.

The dozens of cars waiting to cross an unprotected intersection along Vermont to avoid traffic on the 101 show otherwise. Unless there are a dozen cars at every unprotected intersection in the area.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Google Maps ruined my drives from San Luis Obispo to Santa Barbara because it turned San Marcos Pass (CA-154) from a road only the locals ever used to an unending mess of drivers on long drives suddenly having to wake up and negotiate a mountain road to save (checks Google Maps) one minute.

And nobody these days knows what engine-braking is :argh:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

CPColin posted:

Google Maps ruined my drives from San Luis Obispo to Santa Barbara because it turned San Marcos Pass (CA-154) from a road only the locals ever used to an unending mess of drivers on long drives suddenly having to wake up and negotiate a mountain road to save (checks Google Maps) one minute.

And nobody these days knows what engine-braking is :argh:

Of course not, they all have Priuses with regenerative braking.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

droll posted:

There’s no algorithmic solution to the fundamental mistake that is cars

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Why yes I'll turn left across like 6 lanes of traffic on Olympic at 5pm on a Friday without a stop sign or light

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

BRING

BACK

THOMAS

GUIDES

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Rainbow Knight posted:

BRING

BACK

THOMAS

GUIDES

Good news

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/story/2021-12-07/thomas-guide-los-angeles-orange-county-new-2022

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Rainbow Knight posted:

BRING

BACK

THOMAS

GUIDES

Up until a few years ago, when we finally traded in his car, my husband had Thomas Guides in his trunk "just in case". They were so old, I don't think they had the 105 freeway on them. I wish we had saved them.

EDIT: Maybe it was the 15 freeway extension in SD it didn't have. Some big important freeway we drove on regularly was not in the book.

VorpalBunny fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Dec 17, 2021

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

droll posted:

nah, it absolutely tries to cram 100 cars into the same 'shortcut'. I see this all the time during Apple Hill season when brain geniuses try to side-step the traffic buildup at the lights on 50 in Placerville. The city is in a narrow, steep ravine so the highway is the only road going that direction, there's nothing parallel besides Main Street which has a million stop signs and a lot of foot traffic. But you'll see a lot of people get off, try to get around, and end up cramming into main street or one of the side streets and just get stuck for even longer trying to merge back onto the freeway lol.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

yeah it's literally just minute to minute what route is 1 minute faster but doesn't matter because

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

droll posted:

Nah, the algorithm first tries to prioritize main arterial freeways and roads unless the user actively tells the Waze/Google Maps/etc to avoid freeways. Once traffic backs up to a certain point on the freeway, it tries to "route around" by directing people to take smaller side streets instead, however the issue is that a) those side streets are not set up to handle the sudden influx of traffic and b) almost always the "route around" isn't very long because side streets cannot get a person to their ultimate destination, so they just get back on the freeway a bit further ahead and cause even more congestion via weaving due to the high number of mergers. So traffic actually ends up compounded by the algorithm trying to be clever and in the process tears up a ton of side roads.

This is also why there's no solution for traffic that just involves adding more lanes even if you made like a 30 lane highway that induced demand could never fill up on it's own. Eventually the vehicles on the high capacity freeway system have to exit onto low capacity surface streets, and backup at offramps from a reduction in possible throughput causes backups on the freeway. Or to put it more simply:

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
I thought I’d read an article recently about it being a new thing but I must have been mistaken and imagined it.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
another fun thing is when a side street is backed up from traffic like that and you just need to turn across it and it takes 30 minutes because absolutely nobody will let you go or leave the intersection unblocked

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Well, saying the 880 is grammatically correct, so of course the Bay area gets it right.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

"you take the 69 freeway" gets shortened to "you take the 69"

"you take freeway 69" gets shortened to "you take 69"

it all makes sense, unlike the enemies of big taco bell

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Rah! posted:

"you take the 69 freeway" gets shortened to "you take the 69"

"you take freeway 69" gets shortened to "you take 69"

it all makes sense, unlike the enemies of big taco bell

del taco 4 lyfe

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

FCKGW posted:

del taco 4 lyfe

jack in the box bought out del taco

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Speaking of Waze, Baxter Street in Los Angeles is notoriously steep and especially dangerous in rain. But there was no way to get Waze to stop recommending it, so the city changed the dangerous part to be only one-way. It's really fixed things.

https://www.theeastsiderla.com/arch...e31efaef89.html

Basically the solution is to destroy waze, then ban personal transportation, in that order.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

no. I want waze to tell me to get on a bus before it dies of shame

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

sb hermit posted:

Speaking of Waze, Baxter Street in Los Angeles is notoriously steep and especially dangerous in rain. But there was no way to get Waze to stop recommending it, so the city changed the dangerous part to be only one-way. It's really fixed things.

https://www.theeastsiderla.com/arch...e31efaef89.html

Basically the solution is to destroy waze, then ban personal transportation, in that order.
Waze is just a symptom that Americans are broke brain and turn into sociopaths the instant they enter their oversized 6000 lb bubble of steel+plastic, and everyone is looking to get the one-up on all the other perceived rubes looking to shave off 30 seconds. People exist, and only exist, to inconvenience you personally. those people crossing in a sidewalk forcing you to stop? only doing it to piss you off. people did rat racing before GPS apps, and there's also a zillion other apps that do the same thing and will always do it. The greater issue is then just plowing through school zones and residential areas at 40 mph, being easily perplexed by simple concepts such as a round-about or a steep grade and blind mountain curves, and rolling through all the stops (which again, exist only to personally inconvenience you). in google's defense here, they don't really have a good reason to kowtow to every single landed gentry homeowner crying that their anti-density/anti-transit/anti-poor people policies have led to people using their sleepy suburban street more than when they first bought in for $90k in 1980, and that city planners with their stroad design is horrendous. It looks like planner did the 'right' thing after enough outcry so that's good, that's what they should be doing.

the only solution is to destroy cars. as a transitionary period, everyone can drive vespas and motorcycles until the california department of transportation train pulls up

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lets just torch all of the offices. we don't produce anything in this state besides financial products and disguised financial products anyway. they can do their spreadsheet bullshit and make work to pretend there's a company worth investing in over zoom. that would solve a lot of it right there.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Larry Parrish posted:

lets just torch all of the offices. we don't produce anything in this state besides financial products and disguised financial products anyway. they can do their spreadsheet bullshit and make work to pretend there's a company worth investing in over zoom. that would solve a lot of it right there.

Half of Milpitas is just empty office blocks that will never be filled barring the property bubble bursting because the rents are ridiculous, lol. Hell Apple took it one step further by demanding the city sweep the massive homeless encampment off the empty field they own on Component because while they don't have an office there yet, they will someday so gotta clear the way!!!

That sweep was months ago btw, with Apple justifying it because construction on their mega campus was "imminent." Drive past there every day and there's not a hint of construction: still the same old empty field except now it's got a huge fence around it and a bunch of private security guys chilling in cars around the area to I guess make sure none of those dastardly homeless get any clever ideas about coming back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Larry Parrish posted:

it would be a good start but even right now a lot of those tech office parks and financial districts are empty ghost towns and traffic et al is somehow way worse. all those overpriced $15 mixed happy greens salad lunch places that popped out in the 00-10s catering to tech and finance workers in the fidi are closed up for good and ain't much left around there. lotta tech companies seem like they're gunna stick to zoom work permanently.

also i've been working on a construction adjacent to caltrain tracks and it's just empty trains rolling in every 30 minutes without a single head in sight.

so it does not seem like it'll actually do all that much based on current state of things. but certainly torch all the cubicles and open office desks inside and put in beds for people. at least there's working plumbing in them