Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Russian Bear posted:

Woah woah this thread is getting more controversial than the F1 finale.

No, everyone here agrees f1 is trash compared to MotoGP.

Slavvy posted:

IDK where this idea that I'm somehow a gimmick or act of some kind comes from. This is just me, it's how I talk IRL, my personality is not a schtick. If you think I'm an rear end in a top hat you can call me an rear end in a top hat, put me on ignore or buy me a red text if tone policing me is so fucken important. Doesn't change the reality of the advice I try to give out. Machines don't care about your feelings.

Uh, you mean an orange text, right? :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Slavvy posted:

Machines don't care about your feelings.

Thread title?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

builds character posted:

Uh, you mean an orange text, right? :smug:

:bustem:

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
As the person who has garnered slavvys ire over the past few pages, I can say I love and appreciate him. His advice is solid, I should take it to a mechanic. But inspite of my refusal to do that he is still helping me while trying to make it abundantly clear I will likely gently caress that up.

I'd hardly call him an edgelord. He has huge dad energy and seems like a great guy imo

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
As a person that also hasn’t taken his advice, I think he’s great and also (usually) objectively correct.

Dad energy describes it well. Folks are like “You’re right, but I don’t want to do that.” And then he still helps anyway.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
Slavvy is the internet forum equivalent of a national treasure.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

I don't have a problem with Slaavy calling me out on it. What I said was dumb and wrong. As for Thunderdome rules, you :justpost: until you or your posting enemies are dead. Then you :justpost: some more.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Verman posted:

Thread title?
I'd rephrase it to "EFI doesn't care about your feelings"

builds character posted:

No, everyone here agrees f1 is trash compared to MotoGP.
Agreed

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I don't see why it's on Slavvy - who is giving the benefit of his years of professional experience completely free of charge - to ensure it's done in the most sugared and dulcet tones. He has the option of just *not* taking his own free time to help a complete stranger on the other side of the world
As a mechanic who [I assume?] has the knowledge to help out in this and many other cases and isn't, I gotta agree with this. I could be reading the posts and maybe contributing but I'm not. Sorry, it's partially laziness. There are other reasons. One is that Slavvy is doing it, god bless him.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Geekboy posted:

Dad energy describes it well.

Me, Skyarb:

Slaavy:

CA:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'd like to clarify, CA isn't Thunderdome. HOWEVER, we have a pretty core group of posters here (as I'm posting this, there are 12 whole-rear end earth humans browsing CA) contributing real knowledge, snark, advice, experience, and general motorcycle chat that isn't nearly as big of a pool of people as, say GBS has, so the individual posters stand out more here and stick in your mind more.

Let's try not to be outright dicks to each other, don't go after people with the express purpose of being lovely (not accusing anyone of that, just saying it out loud for posterity), but some of the Something Awful energy is to be expected, natch.

What I don't have time for and don't want this forum to devolve into is ADVRIDER racist/sexist/greybeard horseshit, which, given the responses in the ADVRIDER thread, I think is a common goal here. This is one of the only motorcycle forums I've found that actively rejects that garbage.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Can I still post my motorcycle erotic fan fiction here though

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Does it involve any of the core group of posters? If so, yes.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Martytoof posted:

Can I still post my motorcycle erotic fan fiction here though

Haha, nice one Punchy

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Does it involve any of the core group of posters? If so, yes.

I'm going to hire Chuck Tingle to write us a story about Slavvy, a time-traveling KTM, and a boatload of Italian motorcycle parts

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Duked in the Butt by my own KTM

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Chris Knight posted:

Duked in the Butt by my own KTM

Excoriated in the Butt by a Slavvy Post

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Pounded in the butt by the advice another posted refused to take regarding fuel pump repairs on their bike

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

MomJeans420 posted:

Pounded in the butt by the advice another posted refused to take regarding fuel pump repairs on their bike

well yeah per earlier discussions EFI never ever ever breaks so clearly its something else :v:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

:yikes:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

cursedshitbox posted:

well yeah per earlier discussions EFI never ever ever breaks so clearly its something else :v:

My money is on something completely unrelated to the EFI system, like a kickstand or clutch switch or OP left the kill switch on, but we'll never know because by the time they've finished shotgunning parts at the their bike of Theseus, there'll be no way of knowing what actually fixed it.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
My bike can be started with the kick stand down and clutch out at long as it's in neutral and it's in neutral. Kill switch is also in the operate position. Believe me I wish it were that simple

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Skyarb posted:

My bike can be started with the kick stand down and clutch out at long as it's in neutral and it's in neutral. Kill switch is also in the operate position. Believe me I wish it were that simple

I forget, but you did verify that you have spark, right? Otherwise it's multimeter time.

I don't know dick about motorcycles, but I know a bit about gas engines in general. Spark, fuel, compression is what you need for an engine to run. If you've verified that you actually have spark it's one of the other two, most likely fuel. I like to verify this by giving it a squirt of fuel by other means than carb/injectors. It can be a small dribble of gas down the spark plug hole or more conveniently a squirt of ether from a spray can straight into the air intake. If it'll run like that, fuel is indeed your problem. Since it's EFI this would also mean it's multimeter time. Reading a wiring diagram for the first time can seem a bit daunting but they're entirely logical. Printing them out and taking your kid's color pens or crayons to the lines that interest you the most can make them easier to read to the untrained eye.

Boring anecdote: My little honda is entirely conventional and won't crank (or indeed run) unless certain electrical conditions are met - much like or exactly like your bike - kill switch, clutch switch, neutral switch and sidestand switch. I'm fixing a colleague's piece of poo poo 50cc Chinese scooter for fun. Cleaned the carb, got it to run, messed with some other things and then it wouldn't start any longer. It needs a brake lever pressed to crank, but it turns out the side stand switch only cuts the spark but doesn't prevent cranking. Took me way too long to figure that one out. Assuming things work the way you think they should work doesn't make it so is the takeaway I guess.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
My 2004 Triumph Tiger 955i left me stranded at work last night. The battery has been low enough to require a couple jumps this week, and now with a jump pack attached it will give me a click and not even try to spin the starter.

My question for the thread is, which body of water should I chuck this bike into? The Great Lakes are right there…

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Revvik posted:

My 2004 Triumph Tiger 955i left me stranded at work last night. The battery has been low enough to require a couple jumps this week, and now with a jump pack attached it will give me a click and not even try to spin the starter.

My question for the thread is, which body of water should I chuck this bike into? The Great Lakes are right there…

Are the great lakes fresh water? If so that should be fine and clean things out ok. I'd avoid salt water cause that'll make the earth bridge connector even more corroded.

Triumph starting issues are like cooling systems on bmw cars: you start by optimistically replacing the radiator cap and a month later you're rebuilding a cylinder head. With a triumph you start with a battery and finish with a $900 starter sprag replacement.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Revvik posted:

Does it have the stock reg/rec? Those are notorious for not putting out 14v at lower revs. There's a whole cottage industry for fixing the charging system on those bikes. My 04 Daytona did the exact same thing, the piece of poo poo.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Triumph starting issues are like cooling systems on bmw cars: you start by optimistically replacing the radiator cap and a month later you're rebuilding a cylinder head. With a triumph you start with a battery and finish with a $900 starter sprag replacement.

Optimistically, the sprag clutch looked to cost around $500, and I will be working on this side by side with a Vanos module repair / replacement on an older M3 thank you for that reminder.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

First you do the rectifier cause they suck*. Then you do the stator because an actually working RR overheats the factory one. Then you replace the starter relay because it inevitably burns out from all the successful starting you're doing. Then you clean out/replace the earth bridge connector and maybe add an extra earth cable or ten. Then, finally, the starter sprag fails and you replace the entire flywheel with the updated part.

*:Revvik's current location

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
…So, Lake Eerie then? That’s the one off Ohio, that already smells like a butt.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Revvik posted:

…So, Lake Eerie then? That’s the one off Ohio, that already smells like a butt.

It’s the shallowest of the Great Lakes, average depth of 60 feet, so if you change your mind you can probably get it back.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Revvik posted:

Optimistically, the sprag clutch looked to cost around $500, and I will be working on this side by side with a Vanos module repair / replacement on an older M3 thank you for that reminder.

AAAHHHAHAHAHAHAHA

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

AAAHHHAHAHAHAHAHA

The M3 is a friend’s, and it is very beautiful and fast, and I have seen it fail in fantastic ways in the less than two years he has owned it.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

I'm working out my maintenance plan for a barely-ridden vanvan 200 I just bought with 350 miles on it, and trying to figure out how old to treat this thing in terms of fluid replacements. The nearest immediate concern brake fluid, which the service manual recommends replacing every 2 years. No indication from the PO of having serviced anything beyond an oil change a few months ago.

I'm not sure what to make of this in terms of its practical age:
-2018 model year
-Title's "Odometer Date"= 9/3/2019 (2 miles)
-Title "issue date"= 12/11/2020
-PO's wife put 350 miles on it, maybe some trail riding.

What probably happened here? Did the bike first get its fluids around Sept. 2019, then sit at a dealership for a year and three months? Does brake fluid pick up moisture the same regardless of whether it's being used, and I should change it this spring?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Revvik posted:

Please do not throw trash in the Great Lakes, we will need them in the future. The oceans are wide open!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah when the great lakes become the only source of fresh water in North America you’ll wish you hadn’t thrown an entire motorcycle in them.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Remy Marathe posted:

I'm working out my maintenance plan for a barely-ridden vanvan 200 I just bought with 350 miles on it, and trying to figure out how old to treat this thing in terms of fluid replacements. The nearest immediate concern brake fluid, which the service manual recommends replacing every 2 years. No indication from the PO of having serviced anything beyond an oil change a few months ago.

I'm not sure what to make of this in terms of its practical age:
-2018 model year
-Title's "Odometer Date"= 9/3/2019 (2 miles)
-Title "issue date"= 12/11/2020
-PO's wife put 350 miles on it, maybe some trail riding.

What probably happened here? Did the bike first get its fluids around Sept. 2019, then sit at a dealership for a year and three months? Does brake fluid pick up moisture the same regardless of whether it's being used, and I should change it this spring?

That brake fluid is currently 50% water by weight, you should probably change it. I've never heard of anyone paying for a dealer service on a vanvan but anything is possible! I think any time you buy any second hand bike in any condition, assume that every fluid needs servicing.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah when the great lakes become the only source of fresh water in North America you’ll wish you hadn’t thrown an entire motorcycle in them.

https://www.cleveland19.com/2021/09/02/dozens-calls-made-911-about-strong-odor-along-lake-erie-shoreline/

Lake Eerie already smells so bad, people considered it an emergency.

Tossing it in the ocean means it could find itself on one of the islands of garbage floating out there. Like, back to loving Britain.

Revvik fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Dec 19, 2021

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Please sign my petition to have "Great" titles removed from all the Great Lakes except for Superior and Michigan (only applies to the section north of the 44th parallel). Huron can stay too I guess I don't know much about it, don't think anyone's ever seen the other side. I also have a petition to remove "Great" from the Plains please sign that too because it fuckin sucks.

Motorcycles have batteries in them and belong in the ocean.

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
anyone have any recommendations for a place that sells good wrap kits? i have a ktm duke

edit: thinking about this place: https://www.kutvek-amerika.com/ any good?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

tyrelhill posted:

anyone have any recommendations for a place that sells good wrap kits? i have a ktm duke

edit: thinking about this place: https://www.kutvek-amerika.com/ any good?

I used https://cormotographics.com/ and they were good but I don’t know if they have a kit for your bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
Lol I my Moto Guzzi is still broke. Just thought you guys would like to lol along with me.