Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The Dave posted:

The Molina/Maguire reunion with the score is so god drat moving.

Really they did both older Peters so well, it was as touching as Spider-Verse but with the years of nostalgia behind it.

I didn't pay as much attention to it as I would have liked (the score) but I noticed it in some spots and the very last notes at the very end of the credits were from the Elfman score.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I thought that was a funny moment where Depowered Electro is talking to Garfield and says "you help a lot of poor people, you're from queens, i thought you were black" and Garfield says "there's probably a black spider-man out there somewhere. Miles confirmed in MCU, gimme them now

Also I was thinking that when everyone goes back to their own universes, they'll have different timelines that they probably won't die, unless they were taken seconds before they died, and well, there's not much they can do about that

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Something that really stood out in this movie was the way it depicted Norman's mental sickness. I'm glad the movie goes out of its way to explicitly state that the Goblin personality was only really taking control in the apartment because they really needed to make it clear that his behavior around Aunt May and at Strange's place was legit. It makes him come across as so tragic and drives home that Peter isn't trying to smite the ultimate evil, but angrily beat a sick man to death. The way Norman reacts after the cure is just heartbreaking.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Gavok posted:

Something that really stood out in this movie was the way it depicted Norman's mental sickness. I'm glad the movie goes out of its way to explicitly state that the Goblin personality was only really taking control in the apartment because they really needed to make it clear that his behavior around Aunt May and at Strange's place was legit. It makes him come across as so tragic and drives home that Peter isn't trying to smite the ultimate evil, but angrily beat a sick man to death. The way Norman reacts after the cure is just heartbreaking.

Also, on a very nerdy level, I liked that it hinged on the Spider Sense, because sensing the Goblin personality made it implicit that Spider Sense had been working the whole time before that and wasn't just handwaved away for narrative convenience to allow Norman/Goblin to get that far and that close. Peter felt, in a literal and tangible way, that he could trust Norman.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

twistedmentat posted:

I thought that was a funny moment where Depowered Electro is talking to Garfield and says "you help a lot of poor people, you're from queens, i thought you were black" and Garfield says "there's probably a black spider-man out there somewhere. Miles confirmed in MCU, gimme them now

Also I was thinking that when everyone goes back to their own universes, they'll have different timelines that they probably won't die, unless they were taken seconds before they died, and well, there's not much they can do about that

For Doctor Octopus specifically I'm not sure if it would change anything because the moment in Spider-Man 2 when he finds out Spider-Man's identity is already past the point when the fusion reaction of the final machine has run amok. So does he still sacrifice himself and die anyway? Not that it changes Spider-Tom's choice because he couldn't have known that.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Foxx also says the line about probably being a black Spiderman out there. Garfield's response to the "I thought you were black" line was "I'm sorry"

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Gavok posted:

It was interesting but I will say I have a slight uneasiness with how they coordinated with the arcs from Spider-Man 1 and 2 with Goblin and Ock. In Spider-Man 1 you see the split between Norman and Goblin, but what's interesting is that the Goblin persona wasn't put there by the formula but just an unleashed aspect of the already horrible aspects of Norman's personality. Over the course of the 2002 film you see that split begin to mend, the first step being when Norman becomes aware of the Goblin in the mirror scene, but later during the Thanksgiving scene you realize that Norman and the Goblin are swapping back and forth and melding fairly rapidly sometimes over the course of one sentence (brilliantly performed by Dafoe). In the finale it's not clear where the Goblin ends and Norman begins, they've kind of become one again - which is why it's Norman who presses the button on his wrist to summon his glider to kill Spider-Man.

In NWH however they are back to being clearly delineated. It wasn't a bad choice necessarily and, as you say, added its own elements of drama and tragedy to the mix but for my interpretation of the character's arc in the first film it felt a little jarring. It's a similar case for Ock, the arms were always a metaphor for his ambition which is why it's Peter talking him down about responsibility that changes him, and it's important that Ock demands the arms listen to him, he pushes down those negative aspects of his personality by letting his better nature come to the fore. In NWH obviously Peter just fixes his inhibitor chip and he's fine again, which literalises the metaphor. BUT, it's a very busy film and I can see why they did this. In the end if I want those characters to have a complete and complex arc I can watch the films where they are the main antagonist again. NWH has other things on its mind, and executes on those wonderfully.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It's not always easy to tell in either film where Norman ends and Goblin begins because they can swap back and forth quickly but also because Goblin is not above acting like Norman.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

After viewing, one of the dumbest supposed spoilers I'd seen in a review is pretty funny. Said reviewer said the "seeds were planted" for Ned to become the Hobgoblin and you could see them hinting towards it. I guess the Hobgoblin was always a huge fan of donuts?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

After viewing, one of the dumbest supposed spoilers I'd seen in a review is pretty funny. Said reviewer said the "seeds were planted" for Ned to become the Hobgoblin and you could see them hinting towards it. I guess the Hobgoblin was always a huge fan of donuts?

The only thing I can think of is the acknowledgement that Peter's best friends (though both times were Harry) eventually become villains .

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

Codependent Poster posted:

No, the trailer doesn't spoil NWH.

Awesome, thanks!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I like that the villain line-up fits as an adaptation of the Spider-Man theme park ride, right down to the fight happening around the Statue of Liberty. You have Doc Ock, Electro, a Goblin, a shapeshifting elemental and slash-and-fang monster type.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Gavok posted:

I like that the villain line-up fits as an adaptation of the Spider-Man theme park ride, right down to the fight happening around the Statue of Liberty. You have Doc Ock, Electro, a Goblin, a shapeshifting elemental and slash-and-fang monster type.

I'm glad I'm not the only person who thought of this too.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

If you're going to adapt any motion simulator rides you could do worse than that one!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lobok posted:

If you're going to adapt any motion simulator rides you could do worse than that one!

Back To The Future: The Ride or GTFO :colbert:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Um... https://www.avclub.com/in-a-rare-move-dcs-blue-beetle-movie-is-skipping-hbo-m-1848237943

The Blue Beetle movie is now going to premiere in theatres.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Um... https://www.avclub.com/in-a-rare-move-dcs-blue-beetle-movie-is-skipping-hbo-m-1848237943

The Blue Beetle movie is now going to premiere in theatres.

Well at least it'll be 2023 by which point I'm sure we'll have a good handle on COVID!

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

ImpAtom posted:

Well at least it'll be 2023 by which point I'm sure we'll have a good handle on COVID!

that's enough time to get two, no, three booster shots!

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Haven't seen anyone mention how brutal the fights between Peter and Norman are. Just massive, smashing powerbombs and slams, left, right, and center. And fast too. Like wrestling at high speed. And it's not smooth flowing martial arts or boxing moves or anything studied. It's just two angry dudes beating the hell out of each other.

They both want it so bad.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

hiddenriverninja posted:

It's enough time that we'll have run though the greek alphabet and the cyrillic alphabet. Scientists will be debating whether to move to Hebrew or Klingon.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

CzarChasm posted:

Haven't seen anyone mention how brutal the fights between Peter and Norman are. Just massive, smashing powerbombs and slams, left, right, and center. And fast too. Like wrestling at high speed. And it's not smooth flowing martial arts or boxing moves or anything studied. It's just two angry dudes beating the hell out of each other.

I was instantly reminded of The Raid just because of how visceral they were.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
It's been three days since I saw the movie, and I'm still buzzing. Never in my life have I had a cinema "experience", where something happened that wasn't just a film being good/bad, or personal memories due to who I saw the film with, or when/where I saw it. Finally, after four decades of going to the cinema, I know what it's like to see people cheering and clapping in the middle of a film, and not just once but on multiple occasions. Did not know how good that would feel, it was amazing.

Giving the people what they want, and not just as "hey, remember THIS?" but proper expansions and explorations of older stories with redemption arcs and conclusions to stories I never cared about before.

I laughed more at this than any other MCU movie before, and it wasn't just Whedon quips this time. I almost wanted to cry a couple of times too, and for the most surprising reasons.

That was a GODDAMN comic book movie. It's got some flaws, but they somehow outdid Endgame by cashing in not 20 movies of build-up, but 20 years of cynical corporate movie reboots and copyright ownership to create something beautiful.

Six movies in and Tom Holland Spidey finally gets an origin story, and it's all the better for the build-up. Movie owns.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

twistedmentat posted:

I think that was a reference to the campaign to cast Donald Glover as Spidey for the ASM movies that ultimately led to Miles' creation.

King Baby
Sep 30, 2021
The line was first used in “Spider-Men” during a conversation with Nick Fury and Peter.

To me this movie feels like a Dan Slott plot with Bendis providing the dialogue. Wait, that’s exactly what this is. Cool!

What was the deal with that Avi Arad dedication? Did he retire? Is he going to stop ruining Spider-Man?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CzarChasm posted:

Yeah I really liked that, though some moves did do the classic superhero movie thing of making it look like the characters have the momentum/weight of a freight train.

King Baby posted:

The line was first used in “Spider-Men” during a conversation with Nick Fury and Peter.

To me this movie feels like a Dan Slott plot with Bendis providing the dialogue. Wait, that’s exactly what this is. Cool!

What was the deal with that Avi Arad dedication? Did he retire? Is he going to stop ruining Spider-Man?

There is no No Way Home without the last 20 years of Sony's Spider-Man and Venom movies, so it was a dedication to him for that.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
So at the end with the realities ripping apart and the "others" coming through, I could clearly see an outline of Rhino as one of the antagonists. Were there any other recognizable shapes I missed?

Random thought - Did I mishear, or did we finally get the "original" great responsibility line for the first time in 20 years? Hell, I think even the 90s cartoon did the short version. I know, it's a stupid little nerd nugget, and it doesn't bother me, just curious.

Also, the apartment at the end, was that not the same as the one from Rami 2 & 3?

Maybe my crowd was more subdued, but I didn't hear much of a reaction to the big reveals in this film, and nothing like the Endgame cheering and whooping. I was also stuck in the front row, so maybe I didn't hear as much.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

So, do people think that's the end of Ned and MJ? They're in a different city, they don't know who he is, he feels guilty about endangering them, not to mention how strange it would be to try and become friends (and more) with them again. Plus now that Peter will presumably be at university next time, that's obviously the perfect time for new characters. The end of high school does tend to end many relationships and this could be no different. (Also, it seems like a funny parallel to how regular people can go to college and reinvent themselves where nobody knows who they are, and in Peter's case it is a very extreme, literal version of that).

CzarChasm posted:

So at the end with the realities ripping apart and the "others" coming through, I could clearly see an outline of Rhino as one of the antagonists. Were there any other recognizable shapes I missed?

Random thought - Did I mishear, or did we finally get the "original" great responsibility line for the first time in 20 years? Hell, I think even the 90s cartoon did the short version. I know, it's a stupid little nerd nugget, and it doesn't bother me, just curious.

Also, the apartment at the end, was that not the same as the one from Rami 2 & 3?

Maybe my crowd was more subdued, but I didn't hear much of a reaction to the big reveals in this film, and nothing like the Endgame cheering and whooping. I was also stuck in the front row, so maybe I didn't hear as much.

Other people thought they saw Scorpion.

And yeah that was the original, full responsibility line. The shorter version is just as standard by now and it still retains the same meaning so I've never minded it but yeah the full line is what they use in the official Spider-Man intro blurb in each comic.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

hiddenriverninja posted:

You'll need Booster to see Blue Beetle? Sounds about right.

Lobok posted:

Superstar Limo turns on the ignition in fall 2022.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Who knows when I'll be able to travel again to go to American theme parks. The last time Toronto had a decent motion simulator ride was Tour of the Universe at the base of the CN Tower like 30 years ago?

The most recent one I did was the Harry Potter one at Universal, that was pretty good.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gavok posted:

You'll need Booster to see Blue Beetle? Sounds about right.

Superstar Limo turns on the ignition in fall 2022.

I watched the Defunctland (or was it Yesterworld) on that and that was like a perfect storm of disaster that hit it

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

CzarChasm posted:

I saw Kraven holding his spear

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
As much as I loved this movie part of me wishes there was a movies before this one that dealt with the Mysterio fall out on a smaller scale leading up to the events of Far From Home.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

JT Smiley posted:

As much as I loved this movie part of me wishes there was a movies before this one that dealt with the Mysterio fall out on a smaller scale leading up to the events of Far From Home.

Even though it might seem out of order I wonder if that will happen in the next one, at least as far as Spider-Man's reputation goes.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Am I the only person wondering if he ended up renting the apartment from the first movie? Or are all movie landlords like that?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Old Man Pants posted:

Am I the only person wondering if he ended up renting the apartment from the first movie? Or are all movie landlords like that?

If it's not identical, I think they were definitely trying to imply it.

There's also some weird parallels to the PS4/PS5 game in the movie.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

CzarChasm posted:

I got more of a collective gasp for certain reveals, the earliest of which I expected but was also like "AAAAA" in my brain for.

Still, nothing as loving electric as the mjolnir/portals scene got, which is tied for my favorite movie theater moment.

EDIT:

Old Man Pants posted:

I dunno, it didn't seem like anyone needed to fix that drat DOOR

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lobok posted:

So, do people think that's the end of Ned and MJ? They're in a different city, they don't know who he is, he feels guilty about endangering them, not to mention how strange it would be to try and become friends (and more) with them again. Plus now that Peter will presumably be at university next time, that's obviously the perfect time for new characters. The end of high school does tend to end many relationships and this could be no different. (Also, it seems like a funny parallel to how regular people can go to college and reinvent themselves where nobody knows who they are, and in Peter's case it is a very extreme, literal version of that).

I think this is just kind of leaving things up in the air so it can go either way.

The thing I'm wondering is if we are going to get dueling Venoms. One in the MCU and the other the Tom Hardy version. Because if they were going to wait until they were done with the Tom Hardy I don't think they would have teased the symbiote like that in the after credits.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'll assume Venom in the MCU will involve Flash getting the symbiot due to his heroworship of Spider-man. Clearly not squashed finding out Penis Parker was Spider-Man.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

lol, apparently the 2nd unit shooting scenes in New York operated under the working title Serenity Now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Whoo, drat. Shang Chi was great, Black Widow and Eternals were good, but this was the post-Endgame blockbuster I was needing.

I don't think I've ever heard that many people cheer for Andrew Garfield