Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

DropsySufferer posted:

I always liked those "Address Unknown" show segments of Max Payne. That was Twin Peaks before I had known about Twin Peaks.

Mirrors are more fun than television.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

CuddleCryptid posted:

I mean, it has Yamaoka on it but I think that's largely about it.

Keiichiro Toyama was the director of Silent Hill 1 and the Siren games

that said, the trailer sure looked like a piece of poo poo!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I'm assuming it's not parasyte meets metal gear revengeance

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I'm assuming it's not parasyte meets metal gear revengeance

No no the thread is saying it looks bad not that it looks like would kick fukken rear end.

Now I want a game for every horror property where you can twenty hit combo the bad guys while the worst best rock music you've ever heard plays. Resident evil has the movies, Silent Hill basically did that in the comic, but what about Clock Tower. Scissorman isn't going to see it coming.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
have you ever heard of clock tower 3, where you actually do have a big cheesy boss battle with every killer

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Doomykins posted:

have you ever heard of clock tower 3, where you actually do have a big cheesy boss battle with every killer

Yes, but magical girl bow and arrows are lame and sword fights at 10000fps are cool.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Lord Burroughs but he's Senator Armstrong doing a victorian england lord cosplay

yeah just take my god drat money sigh

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
It's time for Jennifer... to let 'er rip!

*Rules of Nature hits as Scissorman gets a bedsheet thrown over him*

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
The Scissor Twins from Clock Tower 3 definitely listen to Drowning Pool or Trapt or something.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
wtf they listen to Rasputina

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Bonaventure posted:

wtf they listen to RasputinaSteam Powered Giraffe

:colbert:

Edit for content: do y'all think Scorn will turn out better than Agony? I didn't play the latter, but I remember people hating it.

Read After Burning fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Dec 13, 2021

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Read After Burning posted:

Edit for content: do y'all think Scorn will turn out better than Agony? I didn't play the latter, but I remember people hating it.

TBH I played the short alpha they put out and didn't hate it, I'm still onboard with Scorn. It has the right visuals and atmosphere I was after, not the pointless edgy shock poo poo of Agony.

Edit: This is the playable alpha they put out for kickstarter backers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RAdE0A19-I

Piss Witch fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 14, 2021

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Scorn is not stealth-focused, so it has that to its advantage. Though hard to tell what most of the gameplay is gonna be like outside of what they've shown.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

Better? Yes
Good? I’m not getting my hopes up.

Definitely feels like they were able to nail the visuals years ago but just have had no idea on what to do for the actual gameplay. (Seems common in Indie games. Sable ran into the same problem).

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sable was always advertised as cruising around a Jean Giraud desert, it never tried to be anything more than that.

Scorn I have no idea what kind of game it's supposed to be. The kickstarter suggests it's a survival horror imsim which is red flags all over for a game made by a studio of like 20 on a small-ish budget.

E: and it’s a part 1 of 2 ehhhhh

And they’ve been working on this since like 2015, we’ve experienced a whole renaissance of the genre in that time.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Dec 14, 2021

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I think for me, part of the issue with Agony (or at least the gameplay I saw) was that I can't really be scared about your game if I can't even tell what's coming at me. Like everything was just wandering through dark caves with a color palette consisting of three different shades of red and brown, while an occasional monster (the same color as the environment) lunges at you. "Oh, there's a flayed person! ..I..think? I dunno, wait, maybe it's just a weird rock?"

Re. Scorn: I know the "gun reloading/swapping out barrels" noises are supposed to be gross, but I find them weirdly satisfying. :yeshaha:

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Pulcinella posted:

Definitely feels like they were able to nail the visuals years ago but just have had no idea on what to do for the actual gameplay. (Seems common in Indie games. Sable ran into the same problem).
I also worry that they've gone so hard into the idea of exploring a Giger/Beksiński-inspired biomechanical alien world that they haven't put as much thought into the fact that this is a video game people are supposed to navigate. I look at the art direction and the few snippets of gameplay footage that have come out, and I feel like a lot of people are going to be staring at the screen and asking "where am I supposed to go?" and "what the hell am I supposed to do?" Of course I imagine there'll be an onboarding process in the early levels to acclimate players to how the world works, but it's not good if people curious about the game look up the trailers and immediately have those reactions.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

This might be the wrong thread for this but I'd like to play Omori but absolutely cannot stand the combat system. Does anyone know of any video playthroughers done by people who aren't "horror let's player" types

VVV cheers, I'll check it out

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Dec 15, 2021

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

CuddleCryptid posted:

This might be the wrong thread for this but I'd like to play Omori but absolutely cannot stand the combat system. Does anyone know of any video playthroughers done by people who aren't "horror let's player" types

I usually look for "walkthrough" rather than Let's Play. How's this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmCRo795IBk

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Re. Scorn: I know the "gun reloading/swapping out barrels" noises are supposed to be gross, but I find them weirdly satisfying. :yeshaha:

So scorn is the Dr pimple popper of video games?

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

The Saddest Rhino posted:

So scorn is the Dr pimple popper of video games?

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Bonaventure posted:

wtf they listen to Rasputina

Rasputina owns.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Man, I keep trying to chew my way through Inscryption and it's alright, like its a halfway decent deckbuilding roguelike that gives you a decent power curve and I'm on the third boss now, but it's not scary. Like, maybe after four more hours and another three bosses it'll unlock the scary but right now it's kind of just vaguely creepy with some Halloween haunted house effects.

Which is fine if that is what they are going for but given the response I was expecting more.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Dec 16, 2021

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

CuddleCryptid posted:

Man, I keep trying to chew my way through Inscryption and it's alright, like its a halfway decent deckbuilding roguelike that gives you a decent power curve and I'm on the third boss now, but it's not scary. Like, maybe after four more hours and another three bosses it'll unlock the scary but right now it's kind of just vaguely creepy with some Halloween haunted house effects.

Which is fine if that is what they are going for but given the response I was expecting more.

No, that's pretty much the vibe of the game IMO. It got overblown as a "horror" game after it came out. At most I'd say it's a pretty eerie narrative game with a distinctive mood, driven by a deck building mechanic. It's very good at being that, but I think all the people who recommended it as either a complex deck builder in the vein of Slay the Spire or as a horror game kind of misrepresented it, unfortunately.

It does some interesting narrative things though, so if you're enjoying it at all, I'd recommend sticking with it. The deck building aspect is pretty intentionally designed to make it easy to break it over your knee for that reason.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Does anyone know if the PS4 version of FNAF: Security Breach is messed up or if the textures are just like that? They seem to have their resolutions all screwed up

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

From everything I've read FNAF: SB is poorly optimized on both PC and consoles. Folks with pretty good comps are getting massive FPS issues on the highest settings and even on Low still get a bunch of jank. There's been a patch on PC recently but dunno if that's fixed issues, and consoles certs take a while regardless.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
beyond that (and beyond everything that's come out re: fnaf and cawthorn recently) i was skimming longplays and the whole thing just seems kind of limp

it's a generic stealth-em-up that pretty much eschews all the core gameplay elements that the previous games iterated on, and while the "boy and his monster" angle is kind of cute it's nothing you haven't seen before

though i guess it deserves some recognition for its new, erm, design philosophy

https://twitter.com/RealYouTubeKids/status/1472267542903336962

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

beyond that (and beyond everything that's come out re: fnaf and cawthorn recently) i was skimming longplays and the whole thing just seems kind of limp

it's a generic stealth-em-up that pretty much eschews all the core gameplay elements that the previous games iterated on, and while the "boy and his monster" angle is kind of cute it's nothing you haven't seen before

though i guess it deserves some recognition for its new, erm, design philosophy

https://twitter.com/RealYouTubeKids/status/1472267542903336962

Kids today love that 80's synthwave aesthetic.....I guess?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

They wanna gently caress the robot animals..This is what youtube does to children.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Other than the graphical stuff, it's kind of middle of the road. Yeah it's not as scary but also my relationship with the series was always that I liked the asthetics and ideas but loving hate jumpscares so I never wanted to play it. Making it Baby's First Alien Isolation brings it from scary to creepy which honestly I'm totally fine with.

That being said the animatronics' chase sequences are glitchy as gently caress right now so it's a bit too far on the easy side.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

joylessdivision posted:

Kids today love that 80's synthwave aesthetic.....I guess?

I thought they were supposed to be superheroes

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
I watched a twitch stream of this game and I couldn't tell for a while if there were any dangers about. He just kept crouching and hugging the walls and it worked WAY too well

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'm playing some OG Dead Space, and you can definitely feel the Resident Evil 4 influence, in a good way. It also hits about my ideal level of horror in games: a bit of spooky environment and jumps, but nothing too extreme, and most of the tension comes from trying to survive as you blast away groups of gross flesh monsters.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

It's funny, Security Breach is a terrible game. The entire map is a maze. The game is not difficult in the slightest except for when it is suddenly a gigantic pain in the rear end. There's no checkpoints leading to huge losses of progress for bullshit reasons. Anamatronics teleport everywhere. The controls are clunky (it feels like this was intended to be VR at some point). It's buggier than the backside of a wet rock. The graphics on PS4 are so bad that most signs are unreadable, and yet it can barely hold itself together long enough to load the atrium.

And yet I keep coming back to it because I can see how it could have been good. It captures the feeling of the over-designed lovely arcade perfectly. Thinking of the kind of place that had a light show and wall graphics absolutely everywhere but like six games. Even the terribly tedious laser tag game is basically just a copy of real laser tag maps. It makes me think that there really is room for an arcade horror game that isn't Fredbear: Isolation.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Dec 21, 2021

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

From what I've been told apparently they had to completely scrap and restart it at some point in development, and man does it show :v:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Bad but compelling is everything I want and hope for from a horror game, signed someone who prefers TEW1 over 2.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Mix. posted:

From what I've been told apparently they had to completely scrap and restart it at some point in development, and man does it show :v:

Yeah that scans. The patrolling robot security with defined patrol areas and view cones screams "dynamic enemy patrol methods did not work out as planned"

TheJadedOne
Aug 13, 2004

Evil Kit posted:

From everything I've read FNAF: SB is poorly optimized on both PC and consoles. Folks with pretty good comps are getting massive FPS issues on the highest settings and even on Low still get a bunch of jank. There's been a patch on PC recently but dunno if that's fixed issues, and consoles certs take a while regardless.

I've been watching the ManlyBadassHero play through. He has a massive beast of a PC and had to turn off a lot of things and tweak it to just maintain frame rate for the recording.

The ideas are good and solid but it shows that the ones who designed everything in game were really in over their head and had the concepts of this type of horror game in their head but no idea how to execute it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Has any series been so successful and gone on so long without a single good entry?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Groovelord Neato posted:

Has any series been so successful and gone on so long without a single good entry?

Sonic the Hedgehog :dukedog: