Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

That's why Top Golf is such a stunning success. Take a driving range, add air conditioning, booze, food, and leader boards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
I've got a fun question. I got yelled at by the New Hampshire Highway Department this morning for pushing snow into the highway. They threatened that it is illegal but upon review of the laws, I don't think it is. For reference here's the law:

quote:

NH Rev Stat § 236:19-20(2019)

Any person who shall put or place or cause to be put or placed any snow or ice upon the surface of the traveled portion of any class I, class III, or class III-a highway or state maintained portion of any class II highway for any purpose, except to provide a place necessary for crossing, recrossing and traveling upon said highways by sleds, logging or farm equipment, shall be guilty of a violation if a natural person, or guilty of a misdemeanor if any other person. The provisions of this section shall not apply where snow or ice is pushed across the traveled surface of said highways for the purpose of snow removal from land adjoining said highways.

heres a crudley drawn image of the property. the white is the little bit of snow I had in the highway, the black is just covering the highway name:

my main issue, and why I do this, is because the highway department doesn't lift their side blades at our driveway whic his at the bottom of a hill; so we get a foot+ of snow and ice on the driveway eveyr morning and im tired of dealing with it for something they could not be lazy about and lift a side blade for a moment.

my understanding of that law is that since our property is adjoining the highway and i'm pushing the snow across the traveled service for snow removal, then im not actually doing anything wrong?

am i correct in that? Thanks!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Quit pushing snow onto the highway you rear end in a top hat it could cause an accident.

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
its like a light dusting of snow that won't cause a accident. we're talking the equivalent of backing your car out of your driveway and the remnants of snow that pushes into the highway. Plus there's no wheres else for me to push it unless I push it into the river, which would cause a blockage.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Okay carry on then.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I interpret their usage of 'across' to be as literal as possible. You can push your snow to the other side of the highway but not leave any on the highway. But I'm no loving lawyer. Binfl.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Could you sustain a whole law practice on acting as a consultant for petty children? Are there enough annoyed neighbors, people pissed about fences, building code crazies, people who shovel snow onto the highway, etc. that you could open something like, 'Karen Law' and make a living on that?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Could you sustain a whole law practice on acting as a consultant for petty children? Are there enough annoyed neighbors, people pissed about fences, building code crazies, people who shovel snow onto the highway, etc. that you could open something like, 'Karen Law' and make a living on that?

There is no shortage of spiteful neighbors. The issue is most spiteful neighbors don't have the money to afford to be a pain in the rear end.

You can absolutely be a nuisance lawyer in a rich area, but you'd starve in less affluent areas.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
The trick of it is that people who are petty and lovely about dumb things will also be petty and lovely when it comes time to pay their bill, so once they realize they can't bully you into doing what they want they will fire you, grieve you, and/or poo poo talk you to all their friends.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Standard Consult Red Flags:

- has had multiple prior lawyers
- has a stupid, petty issue
- "just wants you to do [specific thing.]" Because that's all they need and they will handle the rest.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

blarzgh posted:

Standard Consult Red Flags:

- has had multiple prior lawyers
- has a stupid, petty issue
- "just wants you to do [specific thing.]" Because that's all they need and they will handle the rest.

This is just a great client to be ordered to handle as a junior. Just absolutely fantastic.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Just ask for like 5k$ up front

Goodbye

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

Just ask for like 5k$ up front

Goodbye

Works every time

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

aperfectcirclefan posted:

I've got a fun question. I got yelled at by the New Hampshire Highway Department this morning for pushing snow into the highway. They threatened that it is illegal but upon review of the laws, I don't think it is. For reference here's the law:

heres a crudley drawn image of the property. the white is the little bit of snow I had in the highway, the black is just covering the highway name:

my main issue, and why I do this, is because the highway department doesn't lift their side blades at our driveway whic his at the bottom of a hill; so we get a foot+ of snow and ice on the driveway eveyr morning and im tired of dealing with it for something they could not be lazy about and lift a side blade for a moment.

my understanding of that law is that since our property is adjoining the highway and i'm pushing the snow across the traveled service for snow removal, then im not actually doing anything wrong?

am i correct in that? Thanks!

Hello fellow NH Resident. You are allowed to use your plow truck/ tractor/ whatever to push the snow across the street to to the other side. You are not allowed to leave the snow where others might run it over and get into a car accident.

My solution to the annoying snow the plow leaves at the end of the driveway was to buy a Kubota and push the snow across the street and piss off the that neighbor. Not sure if that's legal or not.

daslog fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Dec 20, 2021

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Why not just shovel the snow onto the lawn or whatever, there's lots of space in the photo that isn't road.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Simply take your snow-plow offroading on your lawn to push the driveway snow sideways, instead of across the street like every single snowplow does at a T-intersection

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit

Leperflesh posted:

Why not just shovel the snow onto the lawn or whatever, there's lots of space in the photo that isn't road.

Since the plow doesn't raise its side plow iteans there's a permanent four foot high wall of ice that develops around the perimeter. I could lift it and throw it over the snow boundrycbut since it's mostly ice it's heavy. I like the Kubota idea though, Iight do that.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ah, an ice wall, that sucks. In that case I suggest you get a chainsaw and do filthy ice sculptures from the ice wall. Maybe you can incorporate the even filthier driveway snow into the artwork somehow. Release your inner Calvin & Hobbes.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

aperfectcirclefan posted:

Since the plow doesn't raise its side plow iteans there's a permanent four foot high wall of ice that develops around the perimeter. I could lift it and throw it over the snow boundrycbut since it's mostly ice it's heavy. I like the Kubota idea though, Iight do that.

Not to make this thread into "tractor talk" but once you have one you will never give it up. Its' very useful all year round.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

daslog posted:

Not to make this thread into "tractor talk" but once you have one you will never give it up. Its' very useful all year round.

I think your garage is bigger than my house though

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

daslog posted:

Hell yes!

Among other things, great for plowing fields.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

homullus posted:

I think your garage is bigger than my house though

Start building then. You have a few weeks before the next storm.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

daslog posted:

Start building then. You have a few weeks before the next storm.

.jpg

careful, Hot Dog Day is going to look up your license plates' registered owner and add your name, address, and list of sexual fantasies to his spreadsheet.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

blarzgh posted:

careful, Hot Dog Day is going to look up your license plates' registered owner and add your name, address, and list of sexual fantasies to his spreadsheet.

I really wish you were kidding.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Dik Hz posted:

Besides booze, what's a good Christmas present for a family law attorney? Assuming it's a family member and I'm not a client.

therapy

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

blarzgh posted:

The trick of it is that people who are petty and lovely about dumb things will also be petty and lovely when it comes time to pay their bill, so once they realize they can't bully you into doing what they want they will fire you, grieve you, and/or poo poo talk you to all their friends.

as one example, noted petty litigant Donald trump is also noted for not paying his lawyers

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
My solution to the snow issue is living someplace that isn't a frozen hellscape.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Thanatosian posted:

My solution to the snow issue is living someplace that isn't a frozen hellscape.

:pathetic:

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Nice piece of fish posted:

Hell yes!

Among other things, great for plowing fields.

What if the field I need to plow is roughly 4ft x 8ft (or roughly 1,5m x 3m)? Is it still your legal opinion that I need a Kubota?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

docbeard fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 12, 2022

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

"Is it even worth my time seeking out a free consultation with an employment lawyer?"

yes

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

what was your illness. How long will the symptoms last?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
"is my question so specific, and state/fact dependent that it would be malpractice/practicing law without a license for a random internet lawyer to answer?"

Yes. Google, "employment attorney [your area]" and call and ask about a consultation.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

docbeard fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Oct 12, 2022

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

docbeard posted:

Gory details are in a Goon Doctor thread I made a bit ago but necrotizing fasciitis (better known by its more horrifying name of flesh-eating bacteria). The infection's gone but it took three surgeries to get it all out and I have a large open wound on my chest with a healing timeline of 3-4 months.

And sure. I just don't want to waste peoples' time, including my own (except the time wasted reading my terrible posts, obv.)

"Is it even worth my time seeking out a free consultation with an employment lawyer?"

yes

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

docbeard fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 12, 2022

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

docbeard posted:

Is it even worth my time seeking out a free consultation with an employment lawyer? Was it even worth my time typing up this post?

I am extremely angry and upset about this and am in no way capable of approaching this rationally right now. I'm not even going to try to do anything til after the holidays. I guess I'd just like to know where the universe of my options ends.

e. Minneapolis, MN if that makes a difference

Anyone asking the question "should I talk to a lawyer about this?" the answer is yes

The main issue with employment law is "even if you have a claim, if you file anything they're gonna fire you and it might make your job search difficult going forward." Sounds like you're already gonna be dealing with those issues regardless so it seems unlikely filing an action could make anything worse. Go talk to a lawyer.

One friend of mine has won multiple wrongful termination settlements from a series of different jobs. He had to make a slight career change afterward but he would've had to do that anyway and he's like a hundred grand net better off than he would've been otherwise (basically, he got pushed out of two different toxic workplaces doing immigration law, now he does mortgage law and is quite happy and successful).

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Thanatosian posted:

The freezing temps get rid of most of the vermin, so this tracks.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
There are plenty of "Wrongful Termination" success stories, but most all of them begin with a lawyer's assistance, so no reason to feel hopeless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
r/legaladvice: [CA]Teen entered my home, disables my security camera and opened/ destroyed my kids Christmas presents. Cops say there’s nothing they can do.

quote:

Title spells out most of it. He came over. Is seen opening the door with his dog. Then leaves. And hour later hes spotted again coming out of my house (camera missed him entering) and he has rubber gloves and a hoodie on. I call the police when I got the notification of the second video. When I get home my presents are ripped apart, not just wrapping but the boxes as well and my indoor camera was unplugged. Cops said there’s nothing they can do because he’s a minor and all I have is proof he was in my home. No video of him destroying presents. Anyone have advice on what I can do? They also didn’t look for him so I did, he lives two doors down from me and I have two young kids I’m worried for.

Thought y'all might get a kick out of this one. Seems like a case of lazy loving cops and/or the cop is familiar with the kid and maybe likes them. Seems like a clear-cut B&E to me?