Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

they might as well just call those things the World Cup Rape Yachts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Crazy Ted posted:

they might as well just call those things the World Cup Rape Yachts

Redundant, every yacht is a rape yacht

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Tbh now that we're a year out there's a regular enough stream of terrible Qatar news independent of wider FIFA corruption to warrant its own thread and the amount of poo poo is only going to increase as we get closer to the tournament.

I don't want to put down a blanket 'this is a sports forum so only post about sports and never anything political that's directly connected to it. Shut up and just kick ball' rule and world cups usually attract lots of posters from the wider forums so feel like a general Qatar Qontainment zone would be the best way of organising it.

I am too lazy to make an op right now but if an enterprising young posting prospect wants to have a go you get a gold star

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Could lead to more headlines like this.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

the sex ghost posted:

Tbh now that we're a year out there's a regular enough stream of terrible Qatar news independent of wider FIFA corruption to warrant its own thread and the amount of poo poo is only going to increase as we get closer to the tournament.

I don't want to put down a blanket 'this is a sports forum so only post about sports and never anything political that's directly connected to it. Shut up and just kick ball' rule and world cups usually attract lots of posters from the wider forums so feel like a general Qatar Qontainment zone would be the best way of organising it.

I am too lazy to make an op right now but if an enterprising young posting prospect wants to have a go you get a gold star

You got it boss https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3986054

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Redundant, every yacht is a rape yacht

M/S "The Implication"

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Infantino has addressed all our concerns that the biennial World Cup would just be to make more money by informing us that actually the biennial World Cup would be good because it would make more money.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

vyelkin posted:

Infantino has addressed all our concerns that the biennial World Cup would just be to make more money by informing us that actually the biennial World Cup would be good because it would make more money.

Lmao

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

vyelkin posted:

Oh word? I’m fuckin’ down, then

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

vyelkin posted:

That's literally the sell though. The extra kickbacks to the poo poo hole countries that make up majority blocks in the confederations that will still never qualify.

He knows that every "power" can reject it and still be forced to play in it when they get outvoted.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

Pook Good Mook posted:

That's literally the sell though. The extra kickbacks to the poo poo hole countries that make up majority blocks in the confederations that will still never qualify.

He knows that every "power" can reject it and still be forced to play in it when they get outvoted.

oh hey Donald

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

Pook Good Mook posted:

Can you tell us those poo poo hole countries? Haiti perhaps? El Salvador??

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
* goes in to ops kitchen and bangs all the pots and pans * america is the shithole!!!!

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Gigi Galli posted:

* goes in to ops kitchen and bangs all the pots and pans * america is the shithole!!!!

Then leave, bitch.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Shrapnig posted:

Then leave, bitch.

And make America better? gently caress that

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Shrapnig posted:

Then leave, bitch.

Been trying!

Nottherealaborn posted:

And make America better? gently caress that

I mean, lol, but saying that immigrants should leave America to make it better is a real hot take.

Gigi Galli fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 21, 2021

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

really on the money red text there

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Gigi Galli posted:

Been trying!

I mean, lol, but saying that immigrants should leave America to make it better is a real hot take.

Ah gently caress, that sounds pretty bad in hindsight, even as a dumb joke.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

de curry GOAT posted:

Sorry I said a mean thing about such beautiful soccer powerhouses like Qatar and Saudi Arabia who nakedly pay for votes.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

de curry GOAT posted:

Don’t you Haiti see it

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Pook Good Mook posted:

Sorry I said a mean thing about such beautiful soccer powerhouses like Qatar and Saudi Arabia who nakedly pay for votes.

Buddy, if you saw the things I nakedly pay for,

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
There's no good guys in football. A lot of the opposition to two year wc cycle are the ones who want either the "UEFA plus Brazil and Argentina" nations league every 2 years, or the "Copa America every break, including US and Mexico." (there's been 4 copa america in 6 years).

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

joepinetree posted:

There's no good guys in football. A lot of the opposition to two year wc cycle are the ones who want either the "UEFA plus Brazil and Argentina" nations league every 2 years, or the "Copa America every break, including US and Mexico." (there's been 4 copa america in 6 years).
The CONCACAF Gold Cup has been contested a dozen times in the 21st Century. In cast you don't believe me:

2000, '02, '03, '05, '07, '09, '11, '13, '15, '17, '19, '21

That is a masterclass of a confederation milking two national teams for as much money as possible.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

we should probably just stop it with football and start over, it's broken

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Football halves are too long as well, let’s make them into 2 twenty minute quarters instead and we can squeeze 5 minutes of commercials in between

you could even do like basketball and do a commercial break everytime the ball goes out of bounds. let me tell ya nothing better than a "media timeout" when you're in the crowd!

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Peanut President posted:

you could even do like basketball and do a commercial break everytime the ball goes out of bounds. let me tell ya nothing better than a "media timeout" when you're in the crowd!

Didn't some UK broadcaster miss a goal when they tried to cram advertisements in during a stoppage in play? I swear I remember this happening but I can't find anything.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Gigi Galli posted:

Didn't some UK broadcaster miss a goal when they tried to cram advertisements in during a stoppage in play? I swear I remember this happening but I can't find anything.

ITV have done this more than once, most notably here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSdPa7Ty1Fw

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
They did it during a Liverpool/Everton FA cup derby that went into extra time

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

the sex ghost posted:

Isn't this more a demonstration of the kind of general incompetence and shitness that made your fans serenade us with 'ITV is loving poo poo' at Histon? It looks more like someone was shagging in the control room and accidentally sat on some buttons rather than anything intentional

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

the sex ghost posted:

Yeah but it’s England vs USA so who gives a poo poo. Cram five more ads in there

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Go away.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Peanut President posted:

in basketball the rules say if neither team has called a timeout after five minutes of a quarter, the refs call a timeout so they can show commercials

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

the sex ghost posted:

I like this because the ball is already back in play by the time the cut away. Why don't they do the side-by-side stuff like in the f1 on tsn?

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

vyelkin posted:

in basketball the rules say if neither team has called a timeout after five minutes of a quarter, the refs call a timeout so they can show commercials

lol for real?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Syncopated posted:

lol for real?

yes

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

ilmucche posted:

I like this because the ball is already back in play by the time the cut away. Why don't they do the side-by-side stuff like in the f1 on tsn?

So that you are not distracted from what's important

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

vyelkin posted:

oh yeah I'm well aware. i've been to a lot of college games and the media timeouts are always infuriating

edit: though i will say at my baby-tier college they did a cool half time show the last game I went to: they had 2 youth leagues (like 8 and under aged) have an all star game on the full size court. The kids were amped to hear the 4000 or so people in crowd cheering for them. They should do that at the world cup final for half time

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 31, 2021

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Peanut President posted:

oh yeah I'm well aware. i've been to a lot of college games and the media timeouts are always infuriating

edit: though i will say at my baby-tier college they did a cool half time show the last game I went to: they had 2 youth leagues (like 8 and under aged) have an all star game on the full size court. The kids were amped to hear the 4000 or so people in crowd cheering for them. They should do that at the world cup final for half time

They've done that at all the big rugby games I've been to (haven't been to an international in decades.) They get some u11 or u12 teams from the area out to play a mini game for ten minutes at half time.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Mrenda posted:

They've done that at all the big rugby games I've been to (haven't been to an international in decades.) They get some u11 or u12 teams from the area out to play a mini game for ten minutes at half time.

They still do that, at least at Scotland games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

It's also a thing at all AFL games. They use plastic cones to set up all around the edge of the ground and teams of local kids play against each other during half time.

It is seldom not a good time for all.