Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I'm posting while wearing a towel, so please excuse my spellimg.

:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Like, it would be great if the brother magically figured out what was going on but I can't fault the guy for not having any clue. Especially during, you know, a pandemic, getting hugged by a stranger would set off massive alarm bells.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Like half of the posts in r/AITA are getting locked because of their rule against people who are just bickering and don't really have an issue to be decided. Merry Christmas!

Nazattack
Oct 21, 2008

Cthulu Carl posted:

The kids should stop asking and just consume massive amounts of food that gives them the shits, then leave the bathroom door open while taking the loudest, greasiest shits humanly possible. If anyone closes the door, they open it right back up - even if it means getting up mid-chocolate fountain - and scream through the farts and the pain "WE FOLLOW THE RULES IN THIS HOUSE."

Just go apeshit on every closed door in the house anytime you see one. Demonstrate that the lessons have been learned, WITH ENTHUSEASM. Dad pooping? MOM pooping? They have adult time?

RULES ARE RULES DAD.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Nazattack posted:

Just go apeshit on every closed door in the house anytime you see one. Demonstrate that the lessons have been learned, WITH ENTHUSEASM. Dad pooping? MOM pooping? They have adult time?

RULES ARE RULES DAD.

Origin story for the "I'll get my dad/husband to break down your door" family

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Nazattack posted:

RULES ARE RULES DAD.

If you know a kid who lives in a house with a "No closed doors" rule, buy them a Halligan bar so they can ensure that no one is above the law.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

El Spamo posted:

They have the mentality of a Kender, "I'm just borrowing it" or some bs

More like the mentality of that guy who got his wife's beehives hauled away by some random when she was out of town and when she called the police tried telling them that because they were married everything they owned belonged to both of them.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I'm reading that 'no closed doors' story closely and it sounds like the only issue is the main office room in the house and he's done the thing of phrasing the issue ambiguously but 'keep the office door open so I can be sure you aren't slacking off in study time' isn't the worst view in the world.

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

kimbo305 posted:

Need the thread mugging expert to tell me if getting hugged by a stranger is a prelude to pickpocketing / purse snatching.

Haha, all the commenters on Reddit are yelling at OP for that reason. That since the girl NEVER ACTUALLY SAID ANYTHING, the only reasonable conclusion the brother could take is she was either a pickpocket, or just mentally unwell

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Piell posted:

AITA for not allowing my kids to close the room door

that they call the living/dining room the "common study area" indicates that these people are uptight dicks. unless, of course, they live in an old mansion with an *actual* study, which is 99.9999% likely to not be the case here

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

The_Franz posted:

that they call the living/dining room the "common study area" indicates that these people are uptight dicks. unless, of course, they live in an old mansion with an *actual* study, which is 99.9999% likely to not be the case here

ESH for not going with the 90s standby of "the computer room". "the computer room" is the spare bedroom with a massive corner "desk"/hutch/shelving unit with a giant beige CRT on top and beige tower in a special "tower" cabinet.

the only acceptable activities are researching for school on Encarta, using Microsoft Word, or playing 2-3 pre-approved games.

edit: "surfin the web" can be done in special, pre-approved circumstances but the door stays OPEN

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Surfing the web can be done until someone picks up the phone

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Alchenar posted:

I'm reading that 'no closed doors' story closely and it sounds like the only issue is the main office room in the house and he's done the thing of phrasing the issue ambiguously but 'keep the office door open so I can be sure you aren't slacking off in study time' isn't the worst view in the world.

quote:

whether reading, studying, gaming etc.

You missed the part where it's not just studying, they can only computer in this one room where all their separate computers are, facing the open door no matter what they're doing.

Also all the waffling about SECRETS THEY COULD BE KEEPING, that isn't the relatively normal thing you have come up with.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for telling my daughter to get over herself?

quote:

I was blessed with three beautiful children and unfortunately, my eldest, Brooke, passed away when she was 5 years old. It rocked my world and I know I haven’t been the same since. I went through therapy and still attend to this day, but a part of me died too.

I will never let my daughter be forgotten. I bring pictures of her to events such as holiday celebrations and birthdays. I talk about her all the time. Every year on my living children’s birthdays, I think of her and how her once younger siblings are now older than her.

My daughter, Marnie, is getting married next month. I asked her if she was having a memorial table and she said no. I asked her about creating a seat for her sister who passed, as she should be a part of the day. Marnie told me no, for once she wants a day about her. She says she couldn’t have one event that wasn’t about Brooke. Even her graduation, I had put a picture of her on the seat. She said I needed to stop making my grief “front stage”.

I told her she was being incredibly selfish and until she goes through a loss like this, she’ll never understand. Marnie asked me if her kids would have to live under the shadow of Brooke too. I told her she should be ashamed and to get over herself.

My son says I’m being terrible and I need to re-evaluate my life. AITA?

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Alchenar posted:

what part of your close reading leads you to this conclusion

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

Soylent Pudding posted:

quote:

I feel the resentment is a two way street. My living children were too young to get their sister’s death and I had to ignore my pain a few years as they acted as though nothing was wrong. I don’t see why I should continue to hide my grief now that they can understand.

quote:

They should miss her. Pain leads to happy memories. Why would they want to forget their sister?

quote:

I love Marnie and my son. But I do feel I was forced to silence my grief to care for them. I eventually sent them to live with their dad for a bit, so I could focus on my grief and mourn the loss. I had partial custody after that and it’s for the best. I’m not in the position to be the mom they need.

quote:

Even if they don’t remember her, they could humor me. Watch home movies. Look at photos. Have a drat memorial table.

Well. At least she knows she's a bad mom.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If she really is still in therapy she needs to get a new therapist

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

:(

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

That one is just sad.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Is the mother of the bride paying for the wedding? If so, the memorial table is lovely but absolutely something she can do. That said, it is considered best practice to make the bride the focus of the wedding day not a massive gaping open wound of a psyche.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Vitruvian Manic posted:

Is the mother of the bride paying for the wedding? If so, the memorial table is lovely but absolutely something she can do. That said, it is considered best practice to make the bride the focus of the wedding day not a massive gaping open wound of a psyche.

The mom is for sure not paying for the wedding. She's just a bad, insane mom.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I hope the kid has the gumption to just kick her out of the wedding

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Brooke's ghost hanging out there like, gently caress mom I just wanna go let me gooooooo

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
LOL, came here to post that one.

I find it hard to have even a modicum of sympathy. At this point there's a very thin line between "My daughter who died decades ago has to be the center of attention at my daughter's wedding" and "I have to be the center of attention at my daughter's wedding."

quote:

They were 3. She was 5.

Brooke has been gone 26 years.

I tried, but as stupid as it sounds, in grief, their issues seemed minor. “Your toy broke? At least you’re alive to play with it.” It wasn’t rational or sane, they deserved a better parent.

I love Marnie and my son. But I do feel I was forced to silence my grief to care for them. I eventually sent them to live with their dad for a bit, so I could focus on my grief and mourn the loss. I had partial custody after that and it’s for the best. I’m not in the position to be the mom they need.

It’s like they don’t want to remember her. They change the subject when I bring her up, refuse to look at old photos. I just don’t get how they can feel this way, ya know?

quote:

Do you even want to continue to have a relationship with your living children?

quote:

Honestly, if they refuse to honor Brooke’d memory, no.

:iiam:

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 21, 2021

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Why don’t my kids spend all of their time talking about their dead dividing they never knew?

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Soylent Pudding posted:

My living children were too young to get their sister’s death

Why would they want to forget their sister?

She's so close to getting it but just can't make the final leap that they were too young to remember their sister. I really wish we had ages for this one. I'm guessing this has been going on for at least 20 years.

Edit

quote:

They were 3. She was 5.

Brooke has been gone 26 years.

I guess ask and you shall recieve god drat. I feel like saying this woman needs therapy is a criminal al understatement.

limp_cheese fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Dec 21, 2021

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Vitruvian Manic posted:

drat, what if? thatd be crazy

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
It should've been you, Gordie.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Have a memorial table, but place it on the opposite side of the nearest mountain range. That way everyone is happy

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Yeah, it's been almost thirty years. Mom needs a better therapist.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Brooke's ghost hanging out there like, gently caress mom I just wanna go let me gooooooo

lmfao

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

she should lean in to it - put a ouija board on the memorial table. make the flower girl a creepy doll on top of a remote control car

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Midnight Voyager posted:

You missed the part where it's not just studying, they can only computer in this one room where all their separate computers are, facing the open door no matter what they're doing.

Also all the waffling about SECRETS THEY COULD BE KEEPING, that isn't the relatively normal thing you have come up with.

AITA for turning the study into a modern corporate panopticon to superviseparent my employeesoffspring?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

She also mentions that the father took the kids for "a bit" so she could work on processing her grief. How long was that bit?

quote:

They were 3 when she died, lived with their dad full time ages 4 to 11. Moved back in with me for a year when I felt I was stable then they chose to return to dad.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

So just seven years. And then a whole bunch after that. Ok.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Mom is pretty bad at planning, how on Earth is she going to convince her kids to name any and all of their daughters after their dead sister?

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
I am curious to know if Brooke was the golden child when she was alive too. Like, if she hadn't died would OP be arguing now about how the bride should put her sister at a special table and dedicate the wedding speeches to her.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I figured it out.

quote:

That year after Brooke passed was difficult. A lot happened in it and everyone kept saying “stay strong”. I didn’t want to. I wanted to fall apart but couldn’t.

quote:

My kids were born before Brooke got sick and passed away. I wouldn’t have chosen to have more after her, trust me.
She resents her kids for being literally 3 years old and relying on her for their continued existence, and not somehow instantly transmuting into Adults who could care for her in a year of mourning. She dumped them on the father after that year so she could focus on herself.

Someone in the reddit comments mentioned she used the word "I" 16 times over 14 sentences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Put the mom in a trash compactor