Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Incidentally, the reason the graph goes to -60 is because it's relevant in an adjacent graph.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Haystack posted:

Incidentally, the reason the graph goes to -60 is because it's relevant in an adjacent graph.

I stand corrected. Sorry for the derail

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

slorb posted:

Using "insanely" as an adverb is a slur, and two doses of a MRNA vaccine is ~70% effective against hospitalisation, which I personally don't consider incredibly effective.

I must have missed the memo on this. Maybe because I'm not on twitter? I apologise if I offended anyone

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Acquired immunity to the virus is unbelievably good.

Over and over people whine and melt down at calling south africa's cases mild and point out that it isn't the virus that changed it's the past exposure and vaccinations.

Then when they talk about vaccinations they claim vaccine was actually peepee poopoo bad, wears off instantly and barely works.

But one thing or the other explains this graph, either the virus has started to suck so bad it can't kill anyone or immunity works so good it's not killing anyone:

And this.

Either the protection even two shots of vaccine provides is unbelievably good or Omicron is just a lot worse at killing/hospitalising people, it's got to be one of the two.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

nexous posted:

Pointing out that we should roll out omicron specific vaccines is met with “why the ones we have work fine” with a graph tailored to make the vaccines look more effective than they are. You clearly realize that the effectiveness isn’t good enough because you took the time to purposefully mislead people.

This is not at all saying the vaccines are bad, just that they could be better, akin to when they were first released

There's nothing misleading about that graph.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Platystemon posted:

If none of the data goes anywhere near that division, why is it even on there?

Haystack posted:

Very cool. We solved the mystery.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Platystemon posted:

Very cool. We solved the mystery.

Wow, the waning effectiveness on 2 doses of AZ vs Omicron looks extremely bad.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Professor Beetus posted:

Turn over your monitor.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Professor Beetus posted:

Following it all the way back to the original source adds even more context to that graph.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Platystemon posted:

Turn over your monitor.

Oh okay, I was wondering why there was nothing in the earlier weeks. Still pretty weird to go down to -60% at 15-19 weeks, then back up to around 0%, at least to my idiot layperson eyes.

Platystemon posted:

Turn over your monitor.

Yeah, whoops, I was thrown a bit by how bad it looked at 15-19 and didn't really clock that the increasing effectiveness past that was pre-booster.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s interesting that efficacy apparently increases over time, but we did see that before with a similar vaccine in the Janssen dick graph.

It’s also very possible that it’s nothing but noise. All of the two dose AZ error bars overlap substantially.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Alctel posted:

Isn't 2 shots of an mRNA vaccine insanely effective at stopping you getting hospitalised/dead even against omicron, and three shots means you have excellent protection against even getting it

why would they gently caress around doing a special bespoke one, that makes no sense

some of you are acting as if the vaccines have suddenly stopped working

It would be nice to have vaccines that protect specifically against omicron, especially for folks who are getting their first dose (like many children are).

Still, yeah, N95 up, get boosted, use the tools we have right now.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Main Paineframe posted:

Following it all the way back to the original source adds even more context to that graph.

I really doubt that getting vaccinated makes anyone 60% more likely to get infected

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

knox_harrington posted:

I really doubt that getting vaccinated makes anyone 60% more likely to get infected

Yeah. As noted in that graph, that small population of AZ vaccinated folks is full of old and sickly people. Classic demographic bias.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

incidentally, do you want to know why we'd want something specific based on Omicron, even if the boosters work?

So you have at a least a chance of something to throw into the gap if Omicron gives rise to something much more resistant to the current RNA vax.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Haystack posted:

Yeah. As noted in that graph, that small population of AZ vaccinated folks is full of old and sickly people. Classic demographic bias.

Even then, the upper range on those bars tops off pretty low. At least it looks like most places have access to other vaccine options, although there's still a few countries in which it's the only option (and other places still with no vaccine access at all).

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

knox_harrington posted:

Pfizer manufacturing plans in here and a few other interesting bits and pieces (e.g. proposed 100-day regulatory pathway for vaccine updates)

https://s28.q4cdn.com/781576035/files/doc_presentation/2021/12/17/COVID-Analyst-and-Investor-Call-deck_FINAL.pdf

Of note for those questioning the timeline on getting the vaccine out for <5 years is the graph on slide 23 showing the significantly increased risk of severe fever in the 2-5 age range compared to older cohorts. Very small sample size but this was not unexpected. Balancing side effect profile with efficacy is just more complicated for small children and something that is very hard to tell from in vitro/in silico studies. It looks like they'll go with 3ug dosing which is a significant step down in dose from older children and adults.

Also good news that I haven't heard before is that they have increased stability at 2-8C up to 10 weeks vs the 2 weeks that was the previous guidance.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Youth Decay posted:

Of note for those questioning the timeline on getting the vaccine out for <5 years is the graph on slide 23 showing the significantly increased risk of severe fever in the 2-5 age range compared to older cohorts. Very small sample size but this was not unexpected. Balancing side effect profile with efficacy is just more complicated for small children and something that is very hard to tell from in vitro/in silico studies. It looks like they'll go with 3ug dosing which is a significant step down in dose from older children and adults.

Also good news that I haven't heard before is that they have increased stability at 2-8C up to 10 weeks vs the 2 weeks that was the previous guidance.

from the next page:

I'm confused. They're pursuing a third dose due to inadequate response, but it looks like their titers are higher than the 16-25yo full dose cohort?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

knox_harrington posted:

Outside a controlled blind trial, it in principle could if vaccinated people took more risks because they felt protected, but it seems unlikely for COVID since anti-vaxers seem be the ones not taking this seriously at all.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

brugroffil posted:

from the next page:

I'm confused. They're pursuing a third dose due to inadequate response, but it looks like their titers are higher than the 16-25yo full dose cohort?

The numbers for the kids are at 7 days, the numbers for 16-25 are at 1 month.

The other complicating factor for young children is that they grow so for babies/toddlers there could potentially be a decrease in efficacy from PD1 over a 6 month period just because they get bigger.

Youth Decay fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 22, 2021

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Youth Decay posted:

The numbers for the kids are at 7 days, the numbers for 16-25 are at 1 month.

Also the 6 month to under 12 data is from the phase 1 trial if you read the small footnote vs the other data being from their respective phase 3 trials so presumably the phase 2/3 results for under 5s did not pan out in the larger scale compared to the phase 1 trial (which is one reason phase 2/3 is done in the first place).

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Dec 22, 2021

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

that makes sense thank you!

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Honestly I take back what I said about the axis not being misleading. It's misleading because without going to -60% on the y-axis it would be even more obvious that study has worthless data because the error bars would fill the entire relevant axis.

Those graphs have "worthless sample" written all over them. Notice two of the error bars on the left figure clip off the bottom of the page and the axis only covers the central tendency, with a +80% upper bound for error and unknown lower bound. To their credit the recognize the sample sucks in the caption, but this is into "why even publish this" territory.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/mrc-global-infectious-disease-analysis/covid-19/report-49-Omicron/

"Hospitalisation and asymptomatic infection indicators were not significantly associated with Omicron infection, suggesting at most limited changes in severity compared with Delta."

"... Omicron was associated with a 5.41 (95% CI: 4.87-6.00) fold higher risk of reinfection compared with Delta. This suggests relatively low remaining levels of immunity from prior infection."

So around the same severity and more transmissible and less affected by vaccine.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
So I'd been looking for age-adjusted IFR reduction between vaccinated and unvaccinated persons, and found this from the UK dataset during their summer Delta wave:

https://mobile.twitter.com/bencowling88/status/1425085500105232387

This suggests that the vaccines do really help reduce risk of dying, but not by the 10x-20x we've seen compared to the case count (which is also skewed by younger people, who mostly don't die whether vaxxed or unvaxxed); much of that was the ~90% efficacy against breakthrough infection provided by the vaccines against Delta.

The thing that feels like the really important question to me (in addition to long covid, systemically), is whether these CFRs remain intact with Omicron if the breakthrough number goes through the roof.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Petey posted:

So I'd been looking for age-adjusted IFR reduction between vaccinated and unvaccinated persons, and found this from the UK dataset during their summer Delta wave:

This suggests that the vaccines do really help reduce risk of dying, but not by the 10x-20x we've seen compared to the case count (which is also skewed by younger people, who mostly don't die whether vaxxed or unvaxxed); much of that was the ~90% efficacy against breakthrough infection provided by the vaccines against Delta.

The thing that feels like the really important question to me (in addition to long covid, systemically), is whether these CFRs remain intact with Omicron if the breakthrough number goes through the roof.

Gonna need to see the boosted numbers

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Petey posted:

I mean this is a twitter thread about how case fatality rates in vaccinated and unvaccinated people understate the vaccine effectiveness because of confounders. Like he makes the specific point about low fatality rates in young people, as a reason why the vaccines are more effective than that:

https://mobile.twitter.com/bencowling88/status/1425085512247693314

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Denmark - 22 December

pre:
Denmark Covid Cases
------------------------------------
Dec 22 13,386 new cases, 531 reinfections, 126 new hospitalization (524 total, -1 net), 66 ICU (-1), 37 ventilator(+2), 14 dead 
Dec 21 13,558 new cases, 501 reinfections, 121 new hospitalization (526 total, -27 net), 67 ICU (+1), 35 ventilator(+2) , 17 dead
Dec 20 10,082 (553 hospitalized)
Dec 19 8,212
Dec 18 8,594
Dec 17 11,194
Dec 16 9,999
Dec 15 8,773
Since yesterday, rates per 100,000 population
pre:
                                  Unvaccinated              Partial           Full                           Unvaccinated    Partial    Full
22 DEC    New cases:                     257.1                198.1          211.7    Hospitalizations:              34.2       15.3    7.3
21 DEC    New cases:                     270.1                226.2          207.8    Hospitalizations:              32.9       14.3    7.5

Omicron percentage of variant tests
pre:
20 Dec    1/1 100%
19 Dec   406/907 53.583%
18 Dec 2140/4103 46.234%
17 Dec 2271/4215 44.270%
16 Dec 4395/8373 44.882%
15 Dec 5566/10538 45.711%
10 Dec 11.164%
05 Dec 3.271%
01 Dec 1.777%
27 Nov 0.075%

Sources:
https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/242ec2acc014456295189631586f1d26
https://covid19.ssi.dk/virusvarianter/delta-pcr

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 22, 2021

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

OddObserver posted:

Outside a controlled blind trial, it in principle could if vaccinated people took more risks because they felt protected, but it seems unlikely for COVID since anti-vaxers seem be the ones not taking this seriously at all.

Then the study would still be useless because they're inadequately stratifying or case matching or whatever

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
https://twitter.com/_cingraham/status/1473687815158435841?t=4R_shQhwPq41LrEQCtJqYw&s=19

Jesus :catstare: Is this sort of drop unprecedented?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

"Oh yeah, that thing"

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

and of course some right winger is in the comments arguing that this is good, actually, who wanted those 2 extra years that we're better off without anyhow

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

James Garfield posted:

I mean this is a twitter thread about how case fatality rates in vaccinated and unvaccinated people understate the vaccine effectiveness because of confounders. Like he makes the specific point about low fatality rates in young people, as a reason why the vaccines are more effective than that:

Right, that’s why this data is useful, because it is age controlled.

Google Butt posted:

Gonna need to see the boosted numbers

None of the booster studies think we are going to get to Delta protection against infection.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Remember right at the start of omicron there was a christmas party and half the people got it?

There is finally some follow up data:

https://www.eurosurveillance.org/content/10.2807/1560-7917.ES.2021.26.50.2101147?s=09

mostly vaccinated, no boosters, age range 26–68 (median 38) so not just super young people. Symptoms appeared median 3 days (which is insanely fast). But no deaths and hospitalization. Nothing too exciting on the symptoms.

Also lol at the one guy who went to the famous omicron party and just got delta somehow.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

That 68 on the y axis is puttin in a lot of work

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

That 68 on the y axis is puttin in a lot of work

I laughed

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Jarmak posted:

Honestly I take back what I said about the axis not being misleading. It's misleading because without going to -60% on the y-axis it would be even more obvious that study has worthless data because the error bars would fill the entire relevant axis.

Those graphs have "worthless sample" written all over them. Notice two of the error bars on the left figure clip off the bottom of the page and the axis only covers the central tendency, with a +80% upper bound for error and unknown lower bound. To their credit the recognize the sample sucks in the caption, but this is into "why even publish this" territory.

The data for >24 weeks and boosters is fine, though, and really that’s the important part since there’s hardly anyone with recent AZ primaries (which is a major part of the reason why the confidence intervals are so big). They could have just said “the sample size is too small to asses <24 weeks since AZ primary” and left it off the charts, which probably would have been better. Also a decent argument against point estimates in general.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Stickman posted:

The data for >24 weeks and boosters is fine, though, and really that’s the important part since there’s hardly anyone with recent AZ primaries (which is a major part of the reason why the confidence intervals are so big). They could have just said “the sample size is too small to asses <24 weeks since AZ primary” and left it off the charts, which probably would have been better. Also a decent argument against point estimates in general.

Not really; only the booster data doesn't have comically large error bars. The 25+ AZ primary column's error bars range from ~+35% to ~-35%. Likewise the 25+ Ph primary shows us that we can confidently say it helps a lot, or not at all.

Mr Cuddles
Jan 29, 2010

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
So the current consensus as I understand it is that it's still too soon to judge the lethality of omicron. Is that correct? (I really struggle with data and have to have it explained to me tbh)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Mr Cuddles posted:

So the current consensus as I understand it is that it's still too soon to judge the lethality of omicron. Is that correct? (I really struggle with data and have to have it explained to me tbh)

Basically, yes.