Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

multijoe posted:

Also they're against all their neighbors having primals but are a rogue primal haver themselves?!

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Eorzea is America because we're the good guys :911:

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
Honestly if you were looking for Israel Analogies (TM) in Etheirys Ul'dah is right there with its dysfunctional pseudoparliament, mixture of stereotypically European and Middle Eastern cultural trappings, awkward origins and burgeoning mercantile capitalism.

Or Ala Mhigo with its bellicose history and recent occupation, militarily suppressed religion and central trade location, combined with a diaspora that nonetheless are grappling with their nation's uglier bits of history.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Cornering koji so I can get the ff14 nation circumcision lore

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Garlemald is a metaphor for a bunch of dorks that I want to punch and then I punch them.

Sharlayan is a metaphor for a bunch of dorks that I want to punch but my friends tell me not to so you're off the hook. For now!!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I love the Italics raids and I want to emphasize this as much as possible.

I am deeply disappointed with ADR queue riggers, it's definitely some "leave shopping carts out in the parking lot" energy and while those aren't great moral crimes they're both definitely the marks of a selfish and inconsiderate person.

Also my rankings for worst queue content:

Leveling: Copperbell because it wastes your time so much, and even the most crazy speedrunning tank can only do so much. Lol at some of the extremely leashable mobs at least.

Trials: Steps of Faith, it's no wonder the devs never designed another fight like the Vishap dragon taint power hour.

Numbers: I don't normally do numbers and don't really have an opinion, I don't like many of the ARR 50s and don't want to risk getting them.

Normals: I also don't normally do normals roulette and don't have strong opinions. Not a fan of any of the Alexander raids though I enjoy all the Omega or Eden.

Ally Rou: Void Ark. It's as boring as the CT raids without being as fast, so it doesn't even have that going for it. Also I still don't understand any of the Cu Chulainn mechanics but that hasn't stopped me on over half a decade. I've avoided unlocking Sky Pirates on any of my alts for this reason, and so it's a coin flip between boring (CT) or fun (any Ivalice or Nier raid) on them. My main is not so safe unfortunately.

Guildhests: I don't run these because I don't find them all that engaging. Lmao at pinging SAM90 with a guildhests though.

MSQ Rou: Castrum I guess? I don't normally run this one.

Frontlines: I also don't usually run these.

One might note that there's a lot of content I'm not interested in getting in roulettes so I don't run them, even with the rewards they offer. So I normally just don't run those roulettes.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Also, unrelated,

Greenlandmald Empire

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Jetrauben posted:

Honestly if you were looking for Israel Analogies (TM) in Etheirys Ul'dah is right there with its dysfunctional pseudoparliament, mixture of stereotypically European and Middle Eastern cultural trappings, awkward origins and burgeoning mercantile capitalism.

Or Ala Mhigo with its bellicose history and recent occupation, militarily suppressed religion and central trade location, combined with a diaspora that nonetheless are grappling with their nation's uglier bits of history.

these are really dumb comparisons too, the Ala Mhigo one is downright offensive and the Ul'dah one makes zero sense and is way more in line with actual insane antisemetic imagery if you're trying to say the country run by a syndicate of merchants in the shadows is 'more like Israel' than another...

like this whole thing is stupid but if you're going to get all unironically upset at an obvious shitpost maybe don't make it more racist somehow

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Sure, why not, I'll do a worst duties list:

Expert: Smileton, I always gently caress up and die on the last boss, and all the door transitions early on are annoying and slow.

5/6/7/8: The Twinning, it's fast but I had to run it one million times when people were spamming it for resistance weapons. Also it has a lot of awkward pulls where enemies spawn in late, I'm glad they stopped doing that as much.

Leveling: The Thousand Maws of Toto-Rak, it's just the worst. The slow goop with the annoying sound effects, the maze-like first area where sprouts always get lost, the fact that all the minibosses are the same, really long cutscene before the last boss, every part is bad!

Trial: Titania, people don't know how to do this fight and it drives me nuts. You're guaranteed one wipe where people fail to deal with the adds, usually more.

Alliance Raid: Labyrinth of the Ancients, the most boring raid that people still manage to wipe in. Running through those giant areas is also annoying.

Normal Raid: Eyes of the Creator, it comes up just often enough that people can't remember the mechanics, including me.

PVP: No Opinion, I'm bad at all of them, so I just hope one team dominates and it ends quickly :v:

Guildhests: lmao.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Jetrauben posted:

i propose that neocons be prohibited from the final fantasy 14 thread

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

these are really dumb comparisons too, the Ala Mhigo one is downright offensive and the Ul'dah one makes zero sense and is way more in line with actual insane antisemetic imagery if you're trying to say the country run by a syndicate of merchants in the shadows is 'more like Israel' than another...

It's considerably less antisemitic than "the country literally run from the shadows by a monstrous cult of evil bodysnatching wizards who are basically The Reason For All The World's Problems & driven by a fairly thin victimization narrative that's centuries old is totally Modern Israel You Guys."

And no, actually, Ala Mhigo's got a lot in common with how modern Israel sees itself - it's a bellicose nation with a history of conflict with its neighbors, literally founded as a new diasporic homeland, and with a metric fuckton of ugly poo poo about its old regime (much as Israel has a bunch of ugly poo poo about the founding of Israel and the Nakba). Ul'dah, too. The Syndicate in particular - not in form but in its sheer dysfunction - has a lot in common with how badly run the Knesset is.

Venuz Patrol posted:

i propose that neocons be prohibited from the final fantasy 14 thread

News to me that "doesn't buy an immensely antisemitic conflation" = neocon, but go off.

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 22, 2021

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Jetrauben posted:

Hey, so, just gonna AsAJew this one:

"The Ascians are Jews" is some absolute fuckin' nonsense. The closest one can say is that the longing of the Ascians for their Unsundered World renewed resonates - but very much is NOT THE SAME AS, and is explicitly their most sympathetic quality - tragically with any disapora people's historical reckoning with their lost homeland. A sympathetic quality in common is just...a sympathetic quality in common.

Goblins, with their wandering diasporic existence, social ostracism, ingenuity and focus on intellectualism, are closer to a positive resonance with the Jewish experience.

Honestly if there are any real life comparables, I'd say they closer to the Byzantine Empire trying to reconquer the western Roman Empire under Justinian.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I used to get horrible runs on Eyes of the Creator but the last few times I've done it the group DPS was so high we skipped propellor wind phases entirely? I was kinda disappointed last time after briefing my friends on how hosed up this fight could be and what they need to do and then it didn't even get to do the optical sight/propellor wind wombo combo

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Jetrauben posted:

It's considerably less antisemitic than "the country literally driven by a monstrous cult of evil bodysnatching wizards who are basically The Reason For All The World's Problems & driven by a fairly thin victimization narrative that's centuries old is totally Modern Israel You Guys."

And no, actually, Ala Mhigo's got a lot in common with how modern Israel sees itself. Ul'dah, too. The Syndicate in particular - not in form but in its sheer dysfunction - has a lot in common with how badly run the Knesset is.

Israel is not an occupied nation, I mean it is but not in the sense you're saying, I don't even think the insane Likud crowd genuinely 'sees themselves' as an occupied people, I'm truly begging you to shut up

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I think it would be extremely wise to stop discussing real world politics in the Final Fantasy 14 thread, personally

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Well I am now

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

Israel is not an occupied nation, I mean it is but not in the sense you're saying, I don't even think the insane Likud crowd genuinely 'sees themselves' as an occupied people, I'm truly begging you to shut up

I'm not going to argue with you, but I agree this should stop.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
My two cents on the worst duties list:

Leveling Roulette: Copperbell Mines. Toto-Rak is slow, but these bosses are almost all just stand around and wait.

Trial Roulette: The Steps of Faith. An inventive and memorable fight that's either really hard or just tedious depending on the group.

Numbers Roulette: Pharos Sirius. Gear outpacing things has made this place shockingly difficult, especially the boss that spawns adds at fixed health percentages.

Alliance Raid Roulette: The Copied Factory. I feel like the timings on the telegraphs here are the most unforgiving instance in the entire game that aren't explicitly "the telegraphs are here to tell you that you hosed up." And I still don't have my Panties of rear end +1.

Normal Raid Roulette: Eden's Verse: Iconoclasm. This one's purely on me, I cannot for the life of me grasp the colors and beam portals.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

multijoe posted:

I think it would be extremely wise to stop discussing real world politics in the Final Fantasy 14 thread, personally

Please this. It's not doing anybody any favors.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Worsts!

Expert: smileton but I still think it's good and fun.

Numbers: haukke hard is such a pile of poo poo. All the beginning single pulls with the keys and the doors sucks rear end. All the bosses suck but shout-out to the final boss for killing you if you do too much damage.

Ldr: Copper Bell. The do nothing bosses are the worst.

Adr: lota. Atomos is the worst thing they e ever done and big lols wipes from Acheron pads are tiresome.

Trials: final steps of training dummy.

Nrr: A2 for being all trash fights. À1 a close second because it comes up constantly thanks to relic farms.

Frontlines: secure. Nothing happens for 80%of the match. Number 1 thing I forget to check, queue into and then eat the leaver penalty for.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
Worst duties:

Expert: Honestly they're all fine, usually.

Numbers: Copperbell Hard is not pleasant, honestly. The gimmick bosses just don't really work well and the dungeon itself isn't especially interesting.

Ldr: Copperbell normal, no question.

Adr: LoTA is just boring, but you can do it on autopilot. I actually kinda thing Mhach or Ridorana are the worst because they're the nastiest examples of the mid-raid-tier slump. There's just nothing especially memorable about them and they take a surprisingly long time. Ozma's nice? But every other boss in Mhach is tedious.

Trials: Steps of Faith. Vishap's fortunately almost never a thing.

NRR: I honestly don't care much of any of the Alexander raids.

MSQ: Castrum. Long enough to be annoying, not long enough to turn your brain off and watch something in the background. And Livia's a weird gimmick boss.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

looking through dungeon lists to figure out my worsts (it's much harder and more interesting to figure out which dungeons from ARR I actively like, honestly), and was reminded Sohr Khai exists, and I have a question: does Alphinaud 1v1 a dragon? you have to fight Hraesvelgr (canonically alone, afaict), Aymeric explicitly says he fought Vedrfolnir for his trial and that he "seems ill acquainted with the notion of 'mock' battles." just seems rude we were denied any kind of explanation or narration of how Al and Obsidian Carbuncle beat up a dragon.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Lota atomos is still the best content in the game

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

Lota atomos is still the best content in the game

LOTA's a weird one because it's so obviously taking holdovers from EARLY WoW and even EQ2 style raiding encounter design?

Infidel Castro posted:

Honestly if there are any real life comparables, I'd say they closer to the Byzantine Empire trying to reconquer the western Roman Empire under Justinian.

Wow, that's a deep cut.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

LOTA sucks because synching to 50 means so many classes are just shy of feeling complete to play.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
a fight where you have a visible dps race against the other parties, but also get to troll them, either intentionally or just because you have dumbasses in the alliance? but like, tuned so easy that it doesn't really matter and you can just laugh at it?

perfect content

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

For my list, Toto-Rak is saved from the pile because there's a chance one or more DPS has AoE attacks and when that happens the tank is given free reign to pull nearly wall-to-wall, turning a 20-minute slog into a 12-14 minute scramble and that's some of the most fun you can have in the ARR leveling range.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I think saying level 50 is just shy of feeling complete is a bit generous.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Honeslty, ADR rigging, while a lovely thing to do, is really a fault of the game design. Like.....its common for people to optimize the fun out of a game. I think there is even a Sid Meier quote about that. If people can manipulate something to their advantage...someone will. I mean just look at all the weird pump and dump poo poo that happens on the market board. I would actually make ADR queue people based on character level, not ilvl, and just sync them up to the min if they dont meet it.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Without going into spoilers - the first tier of Pandaemonium is so loving good.

The story is cool. The boss fights are cool. Loving literally everything about it.

In comparison - I enjoyed the fights of Eden's first tier but the story for the first tier was just really bad (mainly because it was barely there).

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

cheetah7071 posted:

a fight where you have a visible dps race against the other parties, but also get to troll them, either intentionally or just because you have dumbasses in the alliance? but like, tuned so easy that it doesn't really matter and you can just laugh at it?

perfect content

Minus the easy tuning, the Superior Flight Units in Puppet's Bunker with the added hilarity of being able to doom laser the other parties.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
honestly I'd rather have CT roulette than any roulette which includes nier so feel free to continue rigging, from my perspective

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Finished EW today. I’ll collect my thoughts and write something comprehensive tomorrow. Suffice to say: I did not like it much compared to the other expansions. Right now it’s neck and neck with SB for me, which was my least favorite.

If I had to resume it in one phrase, I would say: Endwalker ramps off to a banger of a start, before continuing to a strong middle and stumbles towards the end. There’s quite a few pacing problems, to the point I would say only zone two felt devoid of them. Zone 1 in particular I thought could gently caress off. Anyway, proper wall of spoiler thoughts to come tomorrow.

Can’t wait to go back to the true end game gameplay of glaming it up and leveling other jobs while chilling in Limsa.

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

garlemald is in the catgirl mmo lol

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

OddObserver posted:

I suspect the numbers for that are going to look very different next few weeks.
My daily good deed is trial rouletting with join in progress on and dragging some newbies kicking and screaming through it.

The other day I got a 30 minute in progress 89 trial and I was the only tank because the first two had probably left in disgust.

"we don't need two tanks, pulling."
"yes we do."
"nope."

We didn't. :smuggo:

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Badger of Basra posted:

someone did an FFLogs review once and I think BLM was the job with the lowest APM
This is data from the Eden 5 to 8 tier:

Black Mage does come out to be the lowest APM of DPS classes by 6 actions.

Job difficulty is something that came up not too long ago and as I said then, it's mostly a subjective thing. MCH is the class I play the most and I picked up NIN not too long ago but find them easy to play; the APM they have is not a problem for me even in Savage content so I'm able to play those jobs well while still moving for mechanics. NIN's APM is also a little deceptive in that most of the action is fit into 20 second windows every minute while the other 40 seconds is pressing 123 repeatedly. On the other end, I've only tried Black Mage a handful of times in harder content and it makes my head hurt trying to think of where to plant myself to move as little as possible, and when I should be using Triplecast/Swiftcast or Aetherial Manipulation for movement. I once had dreams of being a Black Mage user for Extreme-Savage content but those are no more.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Jetrauben posted:

I actually kinda thing Mhach or Ridorana are the worst because they're the nastiest examples of the mid-raid-tier slump. There's just nothing especially memorable about them and they take a surprisingly long time.

pretty surprised by this opinion because 1) famfrit and belias are at least notable I think and require you to be awake, and construct 7 and yiazmat are imo actively fun and have their own unique distinctions (math and AND I AM THE BARBER'S BLADE, respectively), and 2) rabanastre feels much more obviously like the forgettable bit from that series. i don't think I even know a mechanic from any of those bosses except hashmal. rofocale has a figure 8 AOE and argath (ugh, one of those retranslations I think just sounds bad) has a proto-pyretic/absolute blizzard, but that's all I can think of.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I think saying level 50 is just shy of feeling complete is a bit generous.

Did World of Darkness for the first time in a while today and Bard has like four buttons to press at 50 and most of the time just one

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

Valentin posted:

pretty surprised by this opinion because 1) famfrit and belias are at least notable I think and require you to be awake, and construct 7 and yiazmat are imo actively fun and have their own unique distinctions (math and AND I AM THE BARBER'S BLADE, respectively), and 2) rabanastre feels much more obviously like the forgettable bit from that series. i don't think I even know a mechanic from any of those bosses except hashmal. rofocale has a figure 8 AOE and argath (ugh, one of those retranslations I think just sounds bad) has a proto-pyretic/absolute blizzard, but that's all I can think of.

Hm. Maybe?

I guess it just compares very negatively for me with the sheer awesomeness that is every Orbonne boss? Construct 7 is at least kinda funny. Yiazmat just feels WAAAAAY too durable and kinda random with his instakill mechanics unless I'm just too dumb to grasp them. The best thing about Yiazmat is that he and Argath both had their VAs really get into it and it was good foreshadowing for how satisfying content with voice acting in combat could be when they spent the money.

The thing about Rabanastre is that being the first raid of that tier means your ilevel can significantly outstrip it so it at least goes fast?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Worsts for me:

Expert: Genuinely none, I guess if this is a 'gun to your head you gotta lose one' Dead Ends is the most easily hosed up if you're not paying attention on the second boss but god how can you hate it when it's such a perfect 'end of story' dungeon for EW?

Leveling: Copperbell, more like Copper Hell am I right folks? But yea as boring as others like it are Copperbell has the unforgivable sin to me of multiple bosses where you just stand around watching poo poo happen. Worse, the poo poo isn't even fun to watch. Terrible, easily the worst dungeon in the game.

Numbers: Tough one, easily the most love or hate chunk for me...I think for the one that makes me most actively go 'ugh, that one, poo poo' I have to agree with Pharos Sirius, not a bad dungeon but it's just so...awkward, it's the least fun to do because you simultaneously don't have to really worry much about it but also can't no-brains it and watch Netflix.

Trials: gently caress Steps. Great storytelling trial, great experience the first time, but man is it just a slog now.

Alliance Raid: Another tough one. I think Weeping City is the one I've personally had the most wipes on due to people not remembering poo poo, so that gets the vote by virtue of pure 'you annoyed me most recently'. Labyrinth is a close second just because of how many times people ignored the chat saying '4 have to be on each pad'...

Normal Raid: A2, trash spam bad. Tbh as much as I like Alexander as a thing it's easily the weakest raid series by far and its age shows when next to some really amazing ones we've gotten now. RIP Alexander, you had a fun story and are a cool primal.

MSQ: Castrum, duh, you have to actually look at things happening and can't just watch Netflix. Also yea Livia is juuuust annoying enough to cause possible actual problems for the group if you've all shut your brains off.