Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
a whole country of Madison Cawthorns

And the dems will be ready and willing to compromise with their good friends in the gop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

dems are a mess Delaware is a mess

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
"hey yall let's just draw ourselves out of a congressional seat" :cripes:

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/stat...ingawful.com%2F

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

ex post facho posted:

Makes sense if you're expecting broad loss of votes across the board, putting previously safe seats under threat. Of course it also implies a strategy of retreat, treating votes as something to be managed to - rather than something to be fought for.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
"A strategy of retreat" has been the democratic party playbook since Reagan.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

MTG is America

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Democrats would be hilarious, if their intransigence hasn't literally got people killed.

gently caress them. I hope they can't even get on the ballot for a loving municipal dog catcher.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
any argument about "biden can't cancel student loans" just went out the window because he can simply extend the forbearance until may 1st 2122 like he just did until may 1st 2022.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

The Democrats would be hilarious, if their intransigence hasn't literally got people killed.

gently caress them. I hope they can't even get on the ballot for a loving municipal dog catcher.

seems like a reasonable thing to not want happen what with Pete being hailed as the future of the democrat party :doggo:

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Dolphin posted:

any argument about "biden can't cancel student loans" just went out the window because he can simply extend the forbearance until may 1st 2122 like he just did until may 1st 2022.

well you see, if he keeps extending forbearance every few months he can keep people pissed off at him the entire time, which helps the democrats to get destroyed in 2022

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ex post facho posted:

i don't like tight gerrymanders, a wave election could wipe everyone out if they're all drawn into a supposed 55-45 district

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Glad to hear that our deep dive even further into legislative disfunction and authoritarianism is at least going to be full of lols. I was worried the GOP still had some modicum of party discipline but I suppose that's focused purely on existing congressmen and not the up-and-coming class of pyschos.

The gop has party discipline, they're simply responsive to their electorate. It might get "taken over" by qanon crazies but those crazies still vote and work along lines toward the party project which is a white Christian ethnostate. Anyone who steps out of line is disciplined just fine, look at Liz Cheney. The crazies who have staying power will be assimilated into the party structure just like the tea party before them.

The fact is that the gop is a functioning party, for better or for worse, because they are actually trying to do something and are doing it via the political process. They'll survive and continue their work with or without Trump. The fact that they have no opposition to speak of does make them look stronger than they otherwise would, of course.

The dems will get destroyed in 2022 (and beyond) mainly because they don't differ from republicans in any way that materially benefits voters and have absolutely no beliefs that aren't negative reflections of republican beliefs (iow all of their positions are just "well if you don't believe what they say about [some culture war bullshit] then you're with us"). They can only get so far being the other option to the gop without actually having anything they want to do.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

There's never going to be a good time to resume student loans. It's going to gently caress over a lot of people whether COVID's a factor or not because it was already so broken. So do you piss off voters right before an election? Right after? In between and hope people forget? Or maybe just wait for Republicans to win again and let them do it.

This might be one of the best incentives they've ever had for doing something about student loans though. It's threatening their jobs!

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Nonsense posted:

MTG is America

only the vintage format

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i wonder what those "college education raises your expected wage" statistics look like when you factor in the average cost of tuition these days

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Vomik posted:

only the vintage format

Minecraft Holmes
Oct 21, 2016

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Dolphin posted:

i wonder what those "college education raises your expected wage" statistics look like when you factor in the average cost of tuition these days

It's still positive, but that might be the "America's entrenched upper class makes every mean look better than it is" effect

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Spring Break My Heart posted:

i looked up the first guy and his platform was all about cutting funds to the military. so he has my full support and will lose by 8 trillion votes.

that most timeless of currencies, democratic hopeful campaign promises made by real estate agents

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Dolphin posted:

And why not make minimum wage 30 dollars an hour too, huh smart guy? :smug:

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

not black border, voted 1

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

the quanon mom is the synthesis of the right wing suburbanite busybody nutjob with an insane conservative worldview and the posthippie yoga juice cleanse girlboss wacko with a totally incomprehensible and reality-divorced personal ethical standpoint

they're unstoppably driven, utterly immune to any reason, insight, or introspection, and are willing to kill and die for the mole children they know to be living under the dallas airport because their pinterest friend was telepathically beamed their location from JFK Jr while on the astral plane. they're going to rule the country for the next 50 years and it absolutely kicks rear end.

the magamilf is an unstoppable force

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Nothus posted:

"A strategy of retreat" has been the democratic party playbook since Reagan.
A strategy leading to defeat is one thing. Shifting your focus from "inevitable final triumph due to demographics" to "inevitable defeat due to irrational voters who don't realize that they're supposed to vote for the good guys" is something quite different. I mean, in both cases the thing they're actively doing is not doing anything for the people they want to get votes from, in one case they just assume the votes will keep coming, in the other they realize they won't.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Let's go, Brandon.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

New spin just dropped:
https://twitter.com/JosephPolitano/status/1473709100542402564?s=20

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

A Buttery Pastry posted:

A strategy leading to defeat is one thing. Shifting your focus from "inevitable final triumph due to demographics" to "inevitable defeat due to irrational voters who don't realize that they're supposed to vote for the good guys" is something quite different. I mean, in both cases the thing they're actively doing is not doing anything for the people they want to get votes from, in one case they just assume the votes will keep coming, in the other they realize they won't.

It's not so much that voters won't vote for the good guys, it's the ethos that democratic values are inherently in the minority, so fighting for (or even promising) expansion is pointless and all you can do is try to hold on to the status quo as long as possible before the inevitable defeat.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

whoa so you mean the Biden administration could generate infinity billion dollars in relief by pausing it forever?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Imagine stabbing someone but leaving the knife in so they don't bleed out. That's the kind of "relief" we're talking about.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
cancelling debt is probably irreversible, but a pause can be capriciously undone whenever a Republican gets back in the White House, so naturally that's what the Dems choose

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

vyelkin posted:

cancelling debt is probably irreversible, but a pause can be capriciously undone whenever a Republican gets back in the White House, so naturally that's what the Dems choose

Having a sword of Damocles dangling over young voters heads is a great strategy until a republican unilaterally repeals it and then drat you lost a generation of voters

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Biden will die soon, or his brain will, so he won't have to worry about that.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Having a sword of Damocles dangling over young voters heads is a great strategy until a republican unilaterally repeals it and then drat you lost a generation of voters

throwing a crybaby tantrum over acts taken by a republican that they helped get elected while promising gently caress you and eat poo poo worked for them in 2020 so why wouldn't they try it again

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Well even worse, what if instead that republican clears the debt

Then you're really hosed

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Then you're really hosed

in 2025 somebody is gonna convince Trump to pass universal healthcare because he can call it Trumpcare and everyone will love it and forget about Obamacare and then the Republicans will run the country until the heat death of human civilization

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Trumpist-Strasserist Hell State, folks, you love to see it.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Then you're really hosed

I’ll have a good night of drinking if that happens. Seeing the democrats fully outflanked.

vyelkin posted:

in 2025 somebody is gonna convince Trump to pass universal healthcare because he can call it Trumpcare and everyone will love it and forget about Obamacare and then the Republicans will run the country until the heat death of human civilization

I actually would have a good laugh if he passes the Total Realization of United Medical Protection Act.

Crowsbeak has issued a correction as of 20:34 on Dec 23, 2021

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Crowsbeak posted:

I’ll have a good night of drinking if that happens. Seeing the democrats fully outflanked.

Just a chorus of libs shouting "but how will we pay for it"

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

vyelkin posted:

The thing about Trump is that he could make higher wages, UHC, unions, and Zero-Covid MAGA projects, and I think his base would go for it.

I don’t think he will, but he really could be Huey Long if he wanted to.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

His greatest trick would be flipping the rep/dem paradigm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

being huey long is a ton of work. Trump round two will be like Trump round 1: he'll post a lot and sign whatever the R congress manages to put in front of him. the bureaucracy has been on autopilot since Obama.