Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

spaceblancmange posted:

I love that tree so much

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

spaceblancmange posted:

the tree is my friend

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

me finally catching up to the most recent page

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Wang Commander posted:

Milder than delta (but as bad as prior variants) is not very reassuring even if it's true. It also means it can maybe pick up some more muties

Why would it being more deadly mean it can’t mutate more? Like why would mildness correlate with evolutionary potential? Wildtype came out the gate swinging and I mean here we are.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

kreeningsons posted:

Since it's the holidays I've been keeping one of these around the apartment. Give it a little sniff multiple times a day. I think I learned to make these in elementary school, just a bunch of cloves stuck in an orange

so in elementary school you were just jamming cloves into an orange, to smell, educationally

it's not even like it's any weirder than whatever I was doing at that age with dried beans and elmer's glue and whatever but I've just never encountered specifically this before

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Lacrosse posted:

I hope I'll have an easier time getting a new job soon because all the other candidates are sick or dead

I'm interviewing for a job at Boeing on the days between Christmas and New Years.

given what I know about Boeing, this means they're desperate as hell.

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Why would it being more deadly mean it can’t mutate more? Like why would mildness correlate with evolutionary potential? Wildtype came out the gate swinging and I mean here we are.

This is seen in viruses that are most contagious in the acute phase, like influenza. If the average person is bedridden by illness, they'll stop spreading it, while a milder version lets them walk around the community. It doesn't work for covid, which is most contagious before severe illness happens.

DoombatINC posted:

so in elementary school you were just jamming cloves into an orange, to smell, educationally

it's not even like it's any weirder than whatever I was doing at that age with dried beans and elmer's glue and whatever but I've just never encountered specifically this before

It comes from the days when bad smells were thought to cause disease. Those 14th-century witches knew more about medicine than the guy I saw in the grocery store today wearing a surgical mask as a bib.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
https://twitter.com/nick_beauchamp/status/1473509106187223043?t=cdJo6opDZyH78CazsAZW0A&s=19

my wife mentioned this chart tonight and sudden intrusive voice: that updated chart was inspired by another tweet by an old web comic artist who lurks a thread Ive been poo poo posting covid charts into for 2 years

and lol gently caress off crazy voice I'm not sharing any of that

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiVx7IWbKlA

As I did for Thanksgiving and Christmas last year, I offered to cook takeout meals for people who can't visit family, which they could pick up from my porch

Only a dozen people signed up for Christmas To Go this year. I had 24 people sign up for Christmas last year and 32 for Thanksgiving 2020.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
I did some math, by the 45th doubling, 17.6 trillion people will be infected.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Chamale posted:

It comes from the days when bad smells were thought to cause disease. Those 14th-century witches knew more about medicine than the guy I saw in the grocery store today wearing a surgical mask as a bib.

Yea its called magic

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Bullfrog posted:

the most infectious disease ever! we did it reddit!

https://twitter.com/JPWeiland/status/1473848483593728006

:coronatoot:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

shizen posted:

Schools across the country are barley holding on as is. I can't imagine them shutting down again they would rather stick every kid in the gym as one teacher watches them all before that.

I was surprised too. I'm guessing the city has access to some incredibly bad internal data. When they canceled their plans to go back in person at the beginning of the year it turned out to be because they had early access to some wastewater reports that were showing holy poo poo lmao levels of spreading.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
we are really incredibly lucky that Omicron only has moderate immune escape.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

My god, that's almost everyone on earth

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

last three days of news have made me understand the ID slack at work basically having a 96 hour meltdown

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

so many victims of communism

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

WrasslorMonkey posted:

So what do I say when people post articles like this:

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1473772679425581069

They are correct, but the reason why they are correct isn't what they think it is and is kind of the key.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

According to the Secret History Of Rome, Justinian was so evil that God punished him by sending a plague that killed one trillion people.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

We're in an arms race against the virus and we're gonna lose rn. Maybe a miracle durable vaccine pops up or the anti-virals are good enough to keep it under control, but omicron is a huge loving alarm siren and the response is "its mild!"

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Palladium posted:

so many victims of communism

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

Yeah the traditions that care about stuff like theology and church history are all pro-vax

Evangelicals really are one group I wish was as persecuted as they think they are.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

I told my family not to rely in antigen tests and they should all go get PCR. One of them had the nerve to say “oh it’s only unreliable for positive results not negative results”.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Me looking at all these COVID numbers

:holymoley:

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

fosborb posted:

https://twitter.com/nick_beauchamp/status/1473509106187223043?t=cdJo6opDZyH78CazsAZW0A&s=19

my wife mentioned this chart tonight and sudden intrusive voice: that updated chart was inspired by another tweet by an old web comic artist who lurks a thread Ive been poo poo posting covid charts into for 2 years

and lol gently caress off crazy voice I'm not sharing any of that

don’t worry, I am Drew and the person who quote tweets this is Natalie

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

Glumwheels posted:

I told my family not to rely in antigen tests and they should all go get PCR. One of them had the nerve to say “oh it’s only unreliable for positive results not negative results”.

Yeah I mean the lines were really faint but I'm definitely negative. We're vaccinated, it's fine.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

McNugget Buddy posted:

the talking heads are pivoting to "there's a large increase in hospitalizations, but they might all be Delta, we just don't know!"

https://twitter.com/ScottGottliebMD/status/1473615942932389891

Quoting this so I have a prime example of Gottlieb being a dishonest piece of poo poo.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Chamale posted:

This is seen in viruses that are most contagious in the acute phase, like influenza. If the average person is bedridden by illness, they'll stop spreading it, while a milder version lets them walk around the community. It doesn't work for covid, which is most contagious before severe illness happens.

It also doesn't matter much because by and large we're not yet at the point where we are literally, rather than figuratively, leaving people to die in the streets. We are still either giving them hospital care, or tending to them at home. The bedridden are still getting people sick.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Apparently I got higher than I thought and made the same bad joke twice.

My family is disappointed I'm missing Christmas, meanwhile they're going to Sunday school dinners and choir practice. I didn't think I'd be this depressed after the vaccines came out.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
So I realize that surgical tape is cheaper than buying K/N95s. I'm already elastomeric elite, but I do have to sometimes wear other masks since I'm going to the doctor or need to be able to speak clearly even with the speech diaphragm it's hard. So what I'm wondering is, then, yeah, if the failure point is the seal and not the filter medium, is there any reason I can't just surgical tape a 3M Aura or Powecom to my face? Seems a good way to get more mileage out of your N95s.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

post COVID posted:

Yeah I mean the lines were really faint but I'm definitely negative. We're vaccinated, it's fine.

Exactly, I also found out the one who’s infected probably knew they were infected with something several days earlier and still saw everyone, let her elderly parents who travelled here stay with her, and once she tested positive with the antigen test went and took her daughter to do her nails.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Paradoxish posted:

Nothing. You're not going to win against a global media blitz that's telling people exactly what they want to hear, especially when the counterpoint is that we still can't possibly know because it's too soon and we don't have enough data.

It doesn't matter. We're going to find out soon enough.

yeah this isn’t like delta where we watched india collapse months ahead of us, we’ll have plenty of direct answers soon enough

i don’t think we’ll like them

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

So I realize that surgical tape is cheaper than buying K/N95s. I'm already elastomeric elite, but I do have to sometimes wear other masks since I'm going to the doctor or need to be able to speak clearly even with the speech diaphragm it's hard. So what I'm wondering is, then, yeah, if the failure point is the seal and not the filter medium, is there any reason I can't just surgical tape a 3M Aura or Powecom to my face? Seems a good way to get more mileage out of your N95s.
Why not just fit and wear an n95 properly? Get one of those official niosh fit-test kits if you feel fancy.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Huh. Just woke up and vomited.

Probably nothing...

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

External Organs posted:

Huh. Just woke up and vomited.

Probably nothing...

post/name

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Schnorkles posted:

we are really incredibly lucky that Omicron only has moderate immune escape.

I mean that's true for the minority of otherwise reasonable people who are doing their best and uninformed about the necessities of proper PPE and/or unable to afford it. But like considering all fascists and most liberals are behaving as though COVID is over, it doesn't matter much.
If you keep playing Russian Roulette, it doesn't matter if the gun in question is a mega-revolver with a billion chambers; eventually you will lose.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I said it earlier in the thread; it seems to me that all that Omicron has actually done is just accelerate things. This path was already inevitable even if Delta stayed literally immutable and never got worse. Open Biden, an absence of meaningful state-level NPIs, and a lack of meaningful PPE by both HCWs and the general public would have made all this inevitable. Hospitals will collapse quicker due to volume, but like through burnout attrition and ever increasing rates of hospitalization as more and more people get severe reinfections due to damage from prior infections, it was inevitable.

What would have taken months or maybe years is now taking weeks or maybe months. But all of this was, sadly, inevitable given the American strategy of 'gently caress around and find out.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Oh I just mean it hasn't even picked up everything Delta had, it's got a lot of room to keep adapting to the human host