Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Wolfsheim posted:

This is amazing and kinda makes me want to play AC1 to see the story they conceptualized v. what it became after a dozen retcons and reboots

Kinda crazy that every single AC is playable on modern consoles except the first one, seems like it would be an easy cash grab remaster for a company desperately in need of a distraction right now

Assassin's Creed is backwards comparable and playable (though not as pretty as a modern game) on Xbox.

Kinda crazy you ignored the good system. 😉

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

ilitarist posted:

They will probably have to make a proper remaster for this one. It was early xbox360/ps3 game so it doesn't look good even compared to the same generation games. Also sort out all of this modern day stuff and add optional content that is not flags.
If they ever did it they’d need to do it as a major remake, not just minor upgrades.

Pretty much all the non-assassination missions are forgettable and annoying. Those would have to be completely rewritten to make people want to play it today. Second game is where they really figured out how to make an AssCreed game.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

My view is that if you can't name 3 mainstream AAA titles in the last 5 years then a setting is not overused.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This is the only AC game I've finished (and one of only like 3 I've even played) and I liked it more than I expected. I thought that the whole thing with (basically end-game spoilers)Odin being terrible and Loki actually being pretty justified in everything he did was actually pretty clever. Particularly the way that the Loki/Fenrir situation completely changes when you realize that Fenrir was actually a regular person. So in "real life" Odin basically imprisoned Loki's son - who hadn't committed any crimes - because of a prophecy. I also somehow did not pick up on the Basim = Loki twist, even though their faces/voices being the same probably should have clued me into it long before. Basim's wolf and moon shirt at the end was funny.

I also like that you can (also end-game spoilers)reconcile with Sigurd.

Gameplay-wise, I really like the change where there's a limited number of weapons/armors instead of having a zillion that you constantly have to replace like in Odyssey.

bike tory posted:

I don't think I've ever lost one, what do y'all find difficult about it?

I had a hard time the first few times, but then I got the hang of it and almost never lost.

IMO the hardest ones are the ones with fewer cups, since the drinking speed can increase more by the end of the cup and it's harder to get into a rhythm. All the ones with many cups are easy though.

Sakurazuka posted:

Not much point now Tsushima is out and has better combat than every AssCreed put together

Yeah, playing those games back to back make it extremely obvious how much more polished Tsushima's combat (which is generally the same sort of thing at its core) is. Everything just feels dramatically more smooth and fluid.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'm still mad about how stupid the Dag storyline was, it almost feels like they cut out big chunks of the middle and didn't bother to write around it.

The core of the Dag stuff is fine because he hated you from the very beginning because he originally wanted to be Sigurd's right-hand (a role you took) and was just looking for an excuse to declare you a bad guy, but the writing doesn't do a good job of presenting this (I think it might actually be hidden in the glossary?).

FAUXTON posted:

I just thought it was slicing off a finger or an ear or something, with various ragdoll jankery making it look like she's occasionally adjust slicing a filet off their asscheek or stealing a nipple or what have you

The real reason Dag turns on you is that he came across your secret book full of hundreds of nipples you've removed from defeated enemies

bike tory posted:

I put the game into animus mode for the gender select and the forced ~gruff~ voice for sheivor got annoying after the second bit of dialogue so I think I'll switch to heivor for now

I prefer male Eivor in this. Kassandra is dramatically better than Alexios in Odyssey, but I feel like male Eivor has much more personality and a good voice and stuff like the Eivor/Sigurd dynamic feels better with him.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Dec 22, 2021

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I would not be surprised if the AC1 remaster comes with Infinity and is its main attraction at start. Gets the oldsters on board with nostalgia, allows the younguns to start at the beginning. Plot comes in more self-contained chunks than later installments (geographically too) so they can chop it up for episodic release. But what do I know

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The thing I remember most being annoyed about with AC's future storyline is that they introduced Desmond with a white hoodie that he was so loving obviously going to pull up in a dramatic moment to be an assassin and then it never happened and ended on a wet fart cliffhanger.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

The thing I remember most being annoyed about with AC's future storyline is that they introduced Desmond with a white hoodie that he was so loving obviously going to pull up in a dramatic moment to be an assassin and then it never happened and ended on a wet fart cliffhanger.

And then they never even followed up on the cliffhanger! Unless you read the books or comics or some poo poo idk

They made it seem like this big bad entity was now loose in the world, and then….nothing. For a really long time, a whole lot of nothing. Just endlessly spinning the wheels.

The originals seemed hellbent on setting up a big climax in the modern day but it’s obvious that got waylaid somewhere along the line and resulted in what most of the modern day poo poo comprised of after that.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Also it’s looking likely that Origins will be getting a 60 fps patch like Odyssey did. So, that’s cool, I guess.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

man nurse posted:

And then they never even followed up on the cliffhanger! Unless you read the books or comics or some poo poo idk

They made it seem like this big bad entity was now loose in the world, and then….nothing. For a really long time, a whole lot of nothing. Just endlessly spinning the wheels.

The originals seemed hellbent on setting up a big climax in the modern day but it’s obvious that got waylaid somewhere along the line and resulted in what most of the modern day poo poo comprised of after that.

Wasn't the climax the end of the world, and Desmond sacrificed his life digitally to stop it from happening? Not arguing it was well done but I seem to remember Desmond having some kind of conclusion to the starting story

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

They retconned some Desmond stuff in audio logs in Valhalla because it’s pretty clear he’s being brought back in the near future.

One of the things the later games haven’t been able to really do is create a feeling of mystery like the original game had. Even if the mystery ended up being some dumb 2012 apocalypse poo poo. Sneaking out of your room at night, reading emails, stealing Vidic’s credentials for even more snooping was cool the first time around. Still felt kind of novel when I replayed it a couple years ago.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Casimir Radon posted:

They retconned some Desmond stuff in audio logs in Valhalla because it’s pretty clear he’s being brought back in the near future.

I think that was just to set up the Valhalla ending where he has been a ghost in the machine all this time and Layla joins him to fix climate change or whatever the threat was. Seemed like a way to cleanly write off both characters they didn't intend to use again, though they could just haphazardly retcon that away too so :shrug:

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

A trilogy like mass effect but WW2 and your choices effect who wins.

In the third one FDR starts dating the USS Lexington.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
In case anyone thought that those jokes about tie-in comics are exaggerations and this stuff doesn't happen anymore.
https://www.ign.com/articles/assassins-creed-valhalla-forgotten-myths-comic-prequel

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Raygereio posted:

Yup. They retconned into it being a hoax some hackers put on the Abstergo newsfeed.

Interesting, thank you. I really was invested in the Desmond arc, especially after the conclusion of Brotherhood, but oh well. One more thing, remind me, were Lucy's true allegieances revealed in Revelations or side material?

*edit*

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Revelations, in the weird platforming bits.

Thanks!

Arbite fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Dec 23, 2021

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Arbite posted:

Interesting, thank you. I really was invested in the Desmond arc, especially after the conclusion of Brotherhood, but oh well. One more thing, remind me, were Lucy's true allegieances revealed in Revelations or side material?

Revelations, in the weird platforming bits.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Dropped Valhalla after 20 hours. Seriously, why on earth is the main quest over 130 missions long? Nothing needs to be that long, nor do we need to circle back to recreating the first AC game. AC1 had nine short arcs, ACV has 21 long arcs.

It doesnt help that the gear-system and sphere-grid are bland, and stealth is busted to non-existent. On the whole the game is a blander riff on Odyssey.

For my sanity I will never go back to Valhalla, it's like being trapped in Swindon for almost an entire weekend.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

On the whole the game is a blander riff on Odyssey.

I think this is the most accurate summary Ive seen of it. I still enjoyed Valhalla but it didn't have nearly the same colour and style that Odyssey had, and for every system it improved there is another that got worse.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dropped Valhalla after 20 hours. Seriously, why on earth is the main quest over 130 missions long? Nothing needs to be that long, nor do we need to circle back to recreating the first AC game. AC1 had nine short arcs, ACV has 21 long arcs.

It doesnt help that the gear-system and sphere-grid are bland, and stealth is busted to non-existent. On the whole the game is a blander riff on Odyssey.

For my sanity I will never go back to Valhalla, it's like being trapped in Swindon for almost an entire weekend.

Tuesday Next thanks you.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

ACV has 21 long arcs.

From what I understand, people didn't like that Odyssey has a lot of journal entries and map icons and collectibles. So a lot of quests were turned into 2-minute interactions (almost all of them silly. That girl with a leaf in the beginning was a promise of something interesting, but oh well). Major regional questlines turned into main quest steps. Locations lost the checklist for completion, but now to open most chests you need to kill a dude or two.

It's like an evil genie has listened to Odyssey critique and "fixed" every issue people had with a solution that is much worse than the initial problem.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

It's honestly baffling that they kept the drone-bird, but removed any and all utility from it.

What's the point of nerfing a core-mechanic in a single-player game?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

It's honestly baffling that they kept the drone-bird, but removed any and all utility from it.

What's the point of nerfing a core-mechanic in a single-player game?

i really dont understand why people say this. you can use the bird to scout. just because it doesn't give you magic outlines of enemies and items etc you can still use the bird to observe a wide area from a hidden location and note the locations and routines of guards and so on. you just have to use your brain a bit more.

also, it's just enjoyable to soar over the landscape and listen to music

and the bird was only introduced two games ago, most ac games don't have that, so i wouldn't call it a "core mechanic"

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

It also does still show you where all the items are. It just doesn't let you tag all the enemies like some magic drone.

Nemins
Oct 27, 2005
Anybody else lose the ability to go to France and Ireland after this last update? My quests are gone and I can’t talk to any of the quest givers anymore.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Nemins posted:

Anybody else lose the ability to go to France and Ireland after this last update? My quests are gone and I can’t talk to any of the quest givers anymore.

Is it possible you have to redownload the DLCs since the update redownloaded the entire base game for the file size change?

Nemins
Oct 27, 2005
I thought that might have been the case and I tried reinstalling the dlc a couple times. Even moved all the files between drives on my xbone, still nothing

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Nemins posted:

I forgot what thread I was in and thought this was a very goony Covid lockdown joke

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

bike tory posted:

Double posting for this because it's quite separate:

what the gently caress is Eivor doing when you "confirm kill"? She gets her little hand axe out and puts it on their chest or something. Ive kind of assumed there's some sort of Viking lore to this but I'm not sure.

It leads to some pretty ridiculous poo poo, like the dudes lying on the ground with a sword stuck through his head but sure, just stop and spend 10 seconds checking that he's actually dead.

Eivor's putting an axe in their hand so that the dead can get into Valhalla.

I don't know if it was actually a point of Norse belief but lots of fiction (AC:V included) seems to roll with the idea that to get into Valhalla you need to have a weapon in your hand on death. that's the whole deal with Ivar the boneless' death and his brother's reaction to it.

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

Bitches ain't shit but genejacks & synths
How optimized is valhalla compared to odyssey? Because the latter runs hot and has performance issues on my 1660ti.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I wouldn't count on Valhalla performing better. I think it runs better for me cause it supports 144hz screens and there's less of stutter on asset streaming.

Belan
May 7, 2007
I had issues with Odyssey until I bought another stick of RAM, the modern AC games really need dual channel memory. My pre-built system came with just one stick.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Runs good on a Series X. Runs real good.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Odyssey runs fantastically for me, Valhalla like absolute poo poo.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

One thing about Odyssey is adaptive AA works horrible for me. For some reason it forces VSync off and the tearing is extremely noticeable cause the target 60 frames are way below 144hz of my screen. I can force VSync in driver settings but I think the game doesn'tike it at all, response time jumps all over the place when I do that. I use RTX 3060 laptop with 1080p screen so you'd think it should run smooth, but I get random FPS drops even when I switch Full Screen display mode to 60hz and set fps limit to 60, and graphics settings are not even that high.

Meanwhile Valhalla is just running fine.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

MinistryofLard posted:

Eivor's putting an axe in their hand so that the dead can get into Valhalla.

I don't know if it was actually a point of Norse belief but lots of fiction (AC:V included) seems to roll with the idea that to get into Valhalla you need to have a weapon in your hand on death. that's the whole deal with Ivar the boneless' death and his brother's reaction to it.

It's dumb and made up, but I guess it's also a callback to the old games where you'd wipe a white feather in the mark's blood and take it back as some kind of "proof" :shrug:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

ilitarist posted:

One thing about Odyssey is adaptive AA works horrible for me. For some reason it forces VSync off and the tearing is extremely noticeable cause the target 60 frames are way below 144hz of my screen. I can force VSync in driver settings but I think the game doesn'tike it at all, response time jumps all over the place when I do that. I use RTX 3060 laptop with 1080p screen so you'd think it should run smooth, but I get random FPS drops even when I switch Full Screen display mode to 60hz and set fps limit to 60, and graphics settings are not even that high.

Meanwhile Valhalla is just running fine.

Does your screen allow for adaptive sync (variable refresh rate; the monitor displays every frame it gets even if the frame rate changes, as long as it's within the supported fps range). I know laptops often don't have VRR support, even if their GPUs should technically have it, but with a 144Hz display I think it's likely it does.

e:unless you were referring to an external monitor.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Dec 27, 2021

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I think that 144hz screen doesn't need GSync as much as 60hz screen. Anyway fps dips I am talking about that. FPS counter moving between 70 and 100 FPS is not distracting, it' just it starts stuttering. Probably specific hardware issue. Like it has shared memory for GPU to use in case 6Gb of VRAM is not enough, and when its used the performance suffers a lot.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Did you check vram usage? I think the benchmark should show you if you're running close, but I'd expect 6GB to be enough at 1080p. You can also use the inbuilt window monitoring tools by pressing Win+G. It'll bring up the game bar, which has a performance tab.

Could equally be some CPU hiccup.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

You got something on your...head.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

If I enjoyed playing Odyssey, will I enjoy this? I remember when it came out, people were sorta meh about it, which is why I never got it. Now that it's been out for a year (I think?) have all the bugs and glitchiness been ironed out, is the game fun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Many people like Valhalla more than Odyssey. I don't and I think it's worse than your average AC game but I don't regret buying it on day one. You get to walk a pretty world. It may feel more generic than other AC settings and there's very little there apart from the main quest. Still pretty.