Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

BGM: Town

The three of us sit in silence. There's something surreal about me, Numeral IV, and Alan all hiding in a room together like this. The fact that Alan has agreed to it proves that I am right. He's avoiding the police. I figured he was a monster before, but his fight with Numeral XI made it all the more clear. His skills have nothing to do with him being a man or his massive build. I'm willing to bet that he could take on an armed officer and win, but even he doesn't want to turn the entire police force against him.

Phew. Things sorted themselves out somehow.

Shigetsugu comes along to rescue us from the suffocating silence.

I'll be taking my leave, then.

Oh? And here I was about to heat up some curry. Don't you want some?

Yay! I've been hungry ever since I got up!

A-Are you serious?!

Sure, he was a bit rough with me, but hey. He did help us out in the end. I'm sure you won't mind if he gets a taste of your curry.

A bit rough?

Never you mind. Here, take this.

He removes the leftovers from the fridge and pours it all into a pot before Alan even gets the chance to answer.

Cumin, cardamom, tumeric... Not bad. ...I will accept.

Whaaat?!

He takes a seat at the table, as expressionless as ever. As much as I want to flee right away, I'm a bit too concerned now.

So... Numeral XII isn't a baddy?

Not for now.

Really? But you're a participant too, aren't you?

...Indeed.

So why'd you protect Shigetsugu?

I didn't. Our interests just happened to align.

Interests?

...Indeed.

I dunno what that means, but I don't care so long as you're not a baddy. What matters is that you're gonna love this curry! It's awesome.

I see.

Oh, oh, oh! And...

I start to panic as I listen to the painful exchange. The lack of emotion on Alan's face makes it impossible to tell when he'll explode over Numeral IV acting overly friendly.

What would possess the old man to take in such a runt?

A runt?

...I am referring to you.

He found me on the street and decided to take me in because I have amnesia or something.

I see. Your body must remember how to carry itself if you were able to fend off Numeral III in such a condition.

I don't think you should've said that...

I am surprised by how readily he divulges such crucial info. Alan may not be his enemy for now, but that's no reason to go and tell him everything.

Um, Sco- Er...

Just use Aran.

I wasn't sure how to address him, but he wasted no time in providing a fake name. He must be aware that I know his true name. I consider doing the same, but I'll leave it alone unless he asks.

What are you planning to do next, Aran?

I think we should leave that discussion for after we eat.

BGM: Regular Ordinary Girlish Chat

Shigetsugu butts in as he brings the curry over. He only carries two plates, since neither him nor me will be having any. Alan nods in response to that proposition. When I think about it, Alan's from India... Knowing that someone from the land of curry is about to eat my rendition of it makes me a touch nervous.

It's soooo good!

Hmm...

My gut sinks the moment he takes a bite. There's a huge contrast between the slow, disinterested way he eats in comparison to how Numeral IV wolfs his down. Wait... why am I nervous at all?

I never expected the similarities to go this far.

When I notice he's said something, my eyes meet his.

My family once bought some curry roux from Japan out of curiosity.

Your family... Like, your wife?

He glares at me in response.

Is this how you fish for information?

Maybe? I honestly didn't mean anything by it, though.

I see. Well, it's public knowledge that I'm not married. When I say family, I refer to a relative.

Thanks for the food!

The tension is dispersed thanks to that outburst. I'm so glad he has no idea how to read between the lines. I never expected Alan to talk about family, though. It's pretty normal for most people, but I somehow thought he was one of those rare sorts who had no attachment to them. That aside, I'll assume he didn't think the curry tasted bad since he didn't say anything about it.

Is it so odd for me to use a spoon?

N-No, of course not! The thought hadn't even crossed my mind...

Thinking about it, I guess I always do imagine people from India eating curry without utensils. I guess they only do that when eating it with naan. But since he's eating Japanese curry, I don't think about it until he brings it up. That look on his face as he asks, though... It's so meek, I can't help bursting out in laughter.

I see. Japan has a rather narrow-minded view of my home country.

Th-That's not what I'm laughing at...

He seems a little peeved, judging by the tone of his voice. My nerves, coupled with the fact that he always seems impossible to read, make it all the harder to hold back my laughter. He eventually brushes me off. He hands Numeral IV his plate and spoon to be taken to the sink.

…...

Not long after, Shigetsugu makes tea for all four of us. Alan takes a whiff of the tea before switching his cup with Shigetsugu's before taking a sip. His face contorts immediately. I can't tell if its an issue with Shigetsugu's so-called blend or Japanese tea in general, but he's more expressive than I expect. Meanwhile, Numeral IV is rolling his head around on the table out of boredom until Alan breaks the silence.

BGM: Intel Investigation Underway

Shigetsugu. I find your name somewhat difficult to pronounce, but regardless... It goes without saying what I'm here for, doesn't it?

You have your eyes on our information, correct?

Indeed. My intent is to eliminate all of you here, but I'm willing to settle for less at the moment.

Well, color me surprised. Here I was expecting you to threaten us all into giving you what you wanted.

The child mentioned having amnesia. Should that hold true, I see nothing coming from doing so. That applies to you, too. I have no evidence, but my gut is telling me that you have no recollection of your own cards, either.

I'd only be putting myself at a disadvantage by being rash.

Amazing how he can say that after what he pulled with Keiko. And he thinks Numeral IV is a girl. It proves that even he makes mistakes. Shigetsugu said that Alan's actions seemed desperate. I feel like that applies even more with what he did to Keiko. However, I'm surprised that not knowing the contents of my own cards could work out for me like this. As for Alan's comment, Numeral IV is the first to respond.

Hang on a minute! That means you wanna eliminate Shigetsugu! I won't let that happen! You're a baddy from here o-

Hmph...

Calm down. Pray tell, what do you plan on doing should I refuse to cooperate?

You likely know the answer. I have no intention of leaving empty-handed.

I knew it! Lemme at 'em...!

No. I don't want to see you two hurt one another. Besides, you would go after her first, wouldn't you, Aran?

I don't doubt that...

I'm ready to make my escape whenever necessary, but I doubt I could even reach the hall safely should Alan target me for real. I could negotiate with him thanks to the info I have on Shigetsugu, but right now I'd rather maintain the status quo.

I'm fine with revealing my information to you, but only on one condition.

Which would be?

I want you to serve as our bodyguard until my elimination. Your job would be to keep this house safe, especially from Numeral XI. In simpler terms, I ask that you protect both myself and this child.

Let's assume I agree to these terms. How do you plan on dealing with the other issue?

He casts his gaze over to me.

Fine. I'll refrain from electing him if you agree to go along with this.

BGM: Impatience
Why even bother?! Shigetsugu doesn't need anyone but me to protect him!

The kid's visibly flustered. But it's Alan who opts to respond.

Are you that delusional?

What's that supposed to mean?!

Shigetsugu proposes this to avoid putting you in harm's way.

It's... for me...?

I'm not the only one who caught that, huh? You wouldn't happen to have family you're close to, would you?

I will not qualify that with a response.

Is he right, Shigetsugu?

Of course he is. Strong as you may be, that doesn't make it any less distressing to see you get hurt.

But if I beat him up, then...!

Don't overestimate yourself. You may be a child, but I would hold nothing back if I fought you.

The chances of something happening to you are just too high!

It's clear that Shigetsugu sees him as family. There's a direct parallel to what he's saying now and Keiko's actions when Alan took her son hostage. Alan's face is as expressionless as ever, so I can't tell if he created this situation on purpose, or if it's mere coincidence.

Shigetsugu... I figured you'd be happy if I took down all the baddies for you...

If you really want to protect me, then why don't you take all their cards?!

For the same reason I don't want you fighting others. It's not as simple as you think.

Save this argument for later. I'm willing to accept your first condition, but only if you provide a room for me to stay in.

He clarifies his reasoning after seeing Shigetsugu's surprise.

I haven't the luxury of doing as I please here, so being provided with somewhere to stay for a few days in exchange isn't a bad deal.

Very well. Of course, I'll need you to accept my second condition as well.

I'm aware.

BGM: Silence

Whatever.

Numeral IV stands up mid-conversation, almost in a deliberate attempt to interrupt them.

I don't care anymore!

H-Hey...!

He leaves the room immediately. Alan doesn't seem fazed, but the same can't be said about Shigetsugu.

Pardon me. Could you give us a moment?

There's no reason to worry about his safety on the streets at night, but it's entirely possible he could start something with the police if they approach him. Leaving Alan here by himself is too risky, though. It's pretty scary to sit here all alone with him, but I stay behind, regardless.

Good grief...

I have to admit, you struck me as a far less reasonable person. Looks like I might have misjudged you.

...I see.

Perhaps buying time through conversation isn't my best idea, since I'm no good at it. And he makes it a point to say as little as possible.

…...

Ten minutes pass and not a single word is exchanged. Alan sits, silent. The only action of note is when he blinks. I thought I'd be okay, but it's starting to get to me.

Rinka. I have a question for you.

Y-Yes...?

He is so abrupt that I struggle not to jump out of my skin.

BGM: Alan

What exactly is your goal here? Your actions don't strike me as someone who wants to live through this ordeal.

I can't say he's wrong. I never even stopped going to school after Divine Selection began. Not like he knows that. He's likely basing his claim off the way I've involved myself with other participants. In all honesty, I'm not even sure how I ended up in this situation myself. But what I do know is that it's all been due to my own judgment. As often as I've questioned how much my life is worth, I've never once resigned to the idea that I'm fine with being eliminated. When I put that all together, it's easy to answer his question.

I want to live. I want to make it through this. My actions may seem roundabout from your point of view, but... this is just me staying true to who I am. I'm sure of it.

These may be extraordinary circumstances, but I'm not built to adapt to them. Average is all I know. I'm easily influenced and prone to sticking my nose into what I shouldn't. That's me. That's what defines Shishimai Rinka.

Hmph... I shouldn't have bothered to ask. The look in your eyes at the hospital told me all I needed.

Maybe it is my imagination, but I think I see him throw a faint smile as he says that.

In that case, I look forward to seeing how far that mindset can take you. For now, there's little point in pressing you for information that you have no memory of.

Wh-Who told you that...?

It's logical to assume that you forgot the contents of your own cards along with the rules of Divine Selection. Perhaps not knowing your cause of death or regret makes it easier for you to act the way you do.

The same goes for that child... Participants like that have little choice but to focus on eliminating others in order to learn about themselves.

It really was obvious that I'd forgotten everything about Divine Selection during my first visit to the Court of Fate. Especially after my discussion with Miharu and needing Parca to explain things over to me from scratch. Had he taken the possibility that I forgot my own cards into consideration ever since?

Did you agree to Shigetsugu's terms in the hopes of finding out more about the kid?

I didn't, but now that you mention it, that does make for a decent plan. That one seems the type to reveal important information when one least expects it, perhaps while asleep. Considering the amnesia, dreams can serve as a bridge to the memories buried deep within the psyche.

Hmph... That may be a bit too convenient, but your point still stands.

Cutting the conversation off here seems wise. The last thing I want is for him to somehow extract information about Miharu from me. She's set it up so everyone thinks we've had a falling-out, but at this rate, I might end up spilling the beans on that and more. Setting that aside, I'm surprised he agreed to Shigetsugu's terms so quick. Assuming what he said was true, then it isn't just because he sees value in doing so. There's more to it. He let his emotions take the wheel, from what I can tell. Not like I'll ever say that to his face.

...They took their time getting back.

Huh?

Footsteps from the entrance. Feel free to check, if you want. I have no intention of breaking my promise, so I'll remain here.

He's right. I hear noises coming from the entrance. I make my way over to welcome them back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

UwUh-oh.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Five or so minutes after he began his search, Shigetsugu found the person he was looking for on his way back home.

BGM: Two Crossing Paths -S/I V/S-

So this is where you went, Yu.

It's hard to run away when you don't have any memories of other places to go.

Shigetsugu referred to Numeral IV as Yu. But that wasn't his real name. It was a name Shigetsugu gave the boy upon their first encounter.

Do you... hate me now?

Of course not.

Why are you okay with getting eliminated? You know you'll die, right? You know that I'll be all alone, right? Is it because we're not a real family?

Even real families aren't guaranteed to stay together forever, I'm afraid.

He cast a solemn gaze up to the night sky as he spoke. Having lost his wife far too soon, Shigetsugu spent his days battling loneliness. Meanwhile, his son got married soon after graduating college and getting hired into a financing company. Shigetsugu got along with his daughter-in-law at first, but things changed when she became pregnant. Perhaps it was more accurate to say that Shigetsugu changed.

Knowing a baby was on the way, both made the decision to move out. Shigetsugu's son was gradually moving up the corporate ladder, so it felt like the right time to go. And that was when Shigetsugu's battle with loneliness reached its zenith. The stress it caused him led to outbursts of violence. His attitude took a drastic turn, and he became stubborn over the most minor of things. He would complain about his daughter-in-law's cooking for no reason. His actions eventually led to their hastened departure from Shigetsugu's home. The loneliness and self-hatred that followed changed him even more.

They did get back in touch years later, but nothing ever came of it. Shigetsugu's issues eventually led him to gambling, which he used as a means to distract himself. This, in turn, led to him wracking up more and more debt to the point that it almost affected his son's family. It was then that they cut all ties with him. Years later, he visited their home, only to find no one was living there. They had just up and vanished. Perhaps they thought the exact same about Shigetsugu, considering how little contact he made with the outside world.

Oh, right... You told me about what happened.

That was all on me, in the end. But you opted to stay with me, even after hearing my story. You may have had nowhere else to go, but it's clear that you weren't hoping to use me for your own interests.

Interests...? I dunno what that means, but sure. I'm staying with you 'cuz I like being with you. I like going to see the horses and boats and all that stuff, too.

Urk...

But the biggest reason is that... you gave me somewhere to belong. Just being here helps keep my mind off my own amnesia.

Over a month has passed since Divine Selection began. Both Shigetsugu and Yu have spent the majority of that time together. To others, their relationship may be fundamentally flawed. To Shigetsugu, however, their relationship was that of a true family.

No matter what the others may think, you are family to me.

Same here! You're my one and only family!

There was no preface to his statement. For Yu, the present took precedence over his lost memories. His words were proof of that.

But it doesn't change the reality that I will die, though. You young'uns may have had your lives cut short by one of fate's pranks, but that isn't true for me. Even if my back hadn't given out that day, I didn't have much time left. That's why the only thing I desired was to spend as much time with you as possible.

It's a simple desire, but one that can't compare to that of the younger people giving it their all to survive.

I dunno what you mean, Shigetsugu... This stuff is too complicated for me!

What I'm saying is that it's up to you to decide how you live your life from here on.

It's up to me...?

Indeed. If you have even the slightest desire to live, then do everything you can to make it through Divine Selection. If you lack that desire, then... I won't stop you.

You can't make me choose like that...

I'm afraid you have no choice. My elimination is a matter of days away.

I don't wanna... I don't wanna lose you...!

Yu was growing more upset as the conversation carried on. Shigetsugu, on the other hand, remained as calm as ever.

Naming you Yu may have been a mistake, when I think about it. I'm not sure if your amnesia had any effect on the outcome, but I never expected a card to form from my doing so. Not knowing the contents of your own cards was your greatest asset, and yet my actions ruined it.

No, they didn't! They made me happy! You gave me a name when I couldn't remember my own!

Ho ho. I'm glad to hear it. In that case, I only have one wish for you. I won't tell you to press on and live if that's not what you want. However, I do want you to understand the joy of providing something for another.

Much like how he had given Yu his name. Not only a name, but also a place to call home.

I'll be able to pass something on that I received from you, too.

Have I given you something? I don't remember doing that...

You have.

I don't get it! I'm trying to understand, but I just... can't.

Work toward understanding it, then. Once you do, you'll be able to share in my joy.

Shigetsugu rested a hand on Yu's head before patting it. His words and actions were cheerful despite the context of their conversation. Meanwhile, Yu was unable to find his answer. He had not accepted his reality. At the same time, that state of mind made him all the more susceptible to what Shigetsugu had to say. So eventually, he came to understand what was about to transpire.

Ushizuka Shigetsugu was going to die. And there was absolutely nothing he could do about it.

…

I happen to overhear their conversation. I don't intend to, but that's no excuse. I don't catch the entire thing, but one important detail doesn't slip by me.

Yu.

The moment Shigetsugu called Numeral IV that, my book began to glow. The resulting card contains nothing but those two letters. I'm glad Alan wasn't nearby when it happened. Things will only get more complicated if any of them learn that I now know his name.

Yu...

I repeat the name to myself. I figured that Shigetsugu had given him a name, but I never expected that name to be the one on his card. This would've been far more difficult to believe if I hadn't had that conversation with Miharu about one's perception of one's name. What did Shigetsugu have in mind when giving him that name, though? Surely there's some meaning behind it.

Doesn't matter. I've somehow ended up with all three of Yu's cards. But I don't have it in me to elect either of them now. If Alan elects Shigetsugu, logic dictates that I elect Yu. I try my best to convince myself that's what I need to do, but it's not that easy.

…...

We make our way back to the living room after I meet them at the entrance. Another conversation starts up once we've all gathered, but it dies off pretty fast.

Apologies for the wait.

I've said my piece already, so it's fine. Give me a room and I'm satisfied.

No need to worry. I'll do just that.

…...

Yu still isn't happy about the scenario, but regardless, the conversation is over. Knowing that, I decide to make my way back home, albeit far later than planned.

Numeral XI might have her eye on you, as well.

Y-Yeah...

Although she'll probably target me first. Settling the score tends to take priority for people like her. I'm not the only participant here she'd want to do so with, of course, but there's no need to be concerned. I plan to keep my end of the bargain.

I am so stunned by his apparent concern for me that I struggle to find a way to respond. What is with this guy? First he threatens to kill a baby without hesitation, then he agrees to Shigetsugu's terms that don't entirely benefit him. To top it all off, now he's worrying about my safety.

Goodbye, and thanks for dinner. I don't think I'll ever forget how delicious it was.

Thanks. There's still some left, so go ahead and heat it up when you're hungry.

Allow me to see you off.

We then make our way out of the living room.

…

You didn't need to leave the house with me. Now I feel bad.

Shigetsugu follows me outside rather than seeing me off at the entrance. It's uncommon for us to be alone together, so I take this chance to clear my doubts.

BGM: A Dot on a Piece of Paper
Can I ask what the plans for Yu are if you get eliminated?

That's quite the naughty habit you have there.

Sorry. I did that on purpose. You gave him that name, didn't you?

I did. He may be a kind child, but he's also a courageous one. The pronounciation of 'Yu' sounds both Japanese and foreign, doesn't it? I must admit that I never expected a card to result from it.

This is speculation on my part, but it seems like each participant's own personal perception holds a sizable influence over their cards.

I see... Allow me to answer your question, though.

I nod my head, urging him to continue.

I have around one-million yen stowed away for him to use as he sees fit.

My first reaction is to look around after recovering from my own shock. I'm worried about any lurking burglars overhearing him, but I guess anyone sneaking into that house is in far more danger than those already inside.

That should be plenty to get him through the remaining two months of Divine Selection. It's not my place to dictate what he does afterwards, but if his memories return, then he should have enough to return home. Assuming he doesn't spend it all first, of course.

How did you... make that much money...?

There are plenty of ways to do so. I gathered up as much as I could find in the house and sold off anything of value, for one.

He mentioned before that his pension and benefits were his only sources of income right now. He talked about being in debt as well, so I could only assume he went through some shady dealings to gather up that amount. Knowing he did it all for Yu's sake made it hard to judge him for it, though.

It was pretty difficult, I tell you. Especially when they froze my bank account and I'd already used up my savings. You saw how messy the house is, no? I turned the place upside-down looking for things to sell, but couldn't find it in me to clean it back up afterwards.

That explains thi-

I slap both hands over my mouth the moment I realize what I am about to say. It might be the truth, but it's still rude to say such a thing out loud.

Oh, don't worry about it. Regardless, there's no need for you to be concerned about him.

He lets out a heartfelt laugh. I can't find the humor in it though, so I just nod.

Well, then. I guess I'll see you again in the dream world.

Yeah... Thanks for everything.

Come, now. I should be the one thanking you.

He shuffles back into his house. That's how it should be. Things are looking good for me right now. Even so, I make my way home with a knot in my heart.

…...

BGM: Rinka's Room

Family, huh...? When I get back to my room, my mind drums up images of Shigetsugu and Yu. Shigetsugu talked about the joy of providing something to another. Was I able to do that for Keiko? Was I able to do that for Sonya, even? Shigetsugu's elimination during the next election is all but guaranteed. Was I able to provide something for him, knowing that would happen? I heard him out and made dinner for Yu. There's no need to involve myself with any of the participants further than this, and yet I find myself worried about waking up on Monday, plagued with regret.

Ugh, screw this!

I figure I'm best off acting instead of worrying, so I make my way to my computer.

-----

Cardbook has updated.

I – Name – Shishimai Rinka
II – Name – Hebinata Miharu
III – Name – Federico Carminati
IV – Name – Yu
IV – Cause of Death – Fire
IV – Regret – Mother's Home Cooking
V – Name – Ushizuka Shigetsugu
V – Cause of Death – Death from Starvation
V – Regret – Back when I was Close with Family
VIII – Name – Kamebuchi Keiko
VIII – Cause of Death – Brain Hemorrhage
VIII – Regret – Child's Name
IX – Regret – Gold Medal
X – Name – Sofiya Priessnitz Alexeievna
X – Regret – Seeing the World
XII – Name – Alan Scorpion

IV – Name – Yu
V – Name – Ushizuka Shigetseugu

IV – Name – Yu
V – Name – Ushizuka Shigetseugu

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Kind of weird that Odette's name card for Yu is still blank then. Shouldn't it have changed when Yu was given that name? It's a bit unfair, one of her starting cards is completely useless, unless "You have no name/don't remember your name" counts as a valid answer.

Weirdly enough, for causes of death and regret it doesn't seem to matter if the participant remembers theirs, since Rinka has both of Yu's. So it's only the name that's based on perception.

Could a person use that to protect themselves? If Miharu were to accept her other last name after revealing her name card, would that change her perceived name and make the card everybody has useless?

As we've seen, taking some steps to alleviate the regret doesn't change the card either. I wonder, if you could entirely remove someone's regret, would that change the card? I'm guessing not, because if someone dies during Divine Selection, any actions they have taken would become undone, so if someone's regret was "I wish I had apologized to my friend", and they do, the apology won't have happened once they die.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

06/01 (FRI), Morning
...Thus, another day of school rolls by. I stayed up late last night doing research, so I'm still a bit tired. And wouldn't you know it, I checked my calender, and it's June already. I'm already nostalgic about the time we went to that amusement park. Once my surprise fades, I get ready to head to school.

BGM: At Amecha Girls' University High School

06/01 (FRI), Noon
Once there, I find myself talking to the usual group.

Mornin'! You two decide on what you're gonna do for the culture festival yet?

Well, I mean... They already settled on me helping out for an hour on both Saturday and Sunday, right?

I've been forced into it, as well.

Talking to these two really helps to hammer home that I'm back to my typical daily life. The culture festival's next weekend. My class has finally decided to go with the fortune teller booth idea. I'm a bit worried about it, since they've decided with hardly a month to spare, but it should be fine because there's nothing too difficult to prepare. None of us are playing a big part in it, but we do need to help out because it's a class effort. And said help comes in the form of one-hour shifts on both Saturday and Sunday, it seems.

Not! What! I mean! I'm asking how you're gonna spend the rest of the time.

Ahh, okay. I kinda wanna check out the cafe that Naomi's class is running.

Her class, huh...

Not like you gotta tag along, y'know.

Wrong. Wherever Rinka goes, I follow.

Spending time with Naomi should be fine so long as it's while we're at school. She's been working hard for this, so I want to see how it turns out.

You got any plans, Mao?

Nope!

Figures...

I'm not interested in what the others are doing, so I booked a morning shift. We're allowed to go home, so long as we're at school when we need to be, so I may as well.

Hmm, I might do the same. Don't particularly care about anything else.

Aww, you two suck!

Ignoring Mao's attempts to tease us, we start to trudge over to the cafeteria.

…...

06/01 (FRI), Evening
Okay, see ya!

With that, Mao skips out of the classroom. Looks like she's heading home in a hurry today. I'm not sure why, since she generally keeps that aspect of her life to herself. Still, she tends to be busy more often than not. Not like she's in any clubs, either... I can only assume she's got a part-time job or something. Miharu is getting ready to head home, herself. Seems like she's working a shift today...

Let's offer to keep her company. Rinka probably could use the chat, with everything on her mind these past few days. :v:

-Go home alone
-Offer to walk with her.

Wanna head back to the station together?

...Are you sure?

She starts to pack up even faster when she asks. Under her notebook is an unfamiliar book. Doesn't seem like one from the school's library.

No need to rush, though.

I'd rather not have you leave me behind for being too slow.

I can only smirk.

…...

BGM: Miharu

Thanks for yesterday, by the way.

I didn't do much, though I'm glad you brought it up... Mind if I ask what happened?

Uh... Get ready for a long story, I guess.

This isn't a topic I can avoid so long as we're together. I tell her all about how I went to Shigetsugu's house and how Numeral XI forced her way in. She is wide-eyed at the start of the story, but by the end, all she does is sigh.

Honestly... At this point, I'm just scared of what you'll try to pull next.

Things worked out well enough, though. I managed to talk things out with Numeral XII.

What about it? You still have to eliminate him when all's said and done.

I figure I am being optimistic, but Miharu makes sure to beat reality back into me with her words. Lacking a proper retort, all I do is avoid eye contact.

Well, I'm not going to nag about how what you're doing is wrong. If anything goes south, just know I'm ready to protect you. Most importantly, I'm happy that you're revealing this all to me in the first place.

Has anything happened on your end?

Ehehe. Are you curious?

She teases the question with a smile.

...You're not gonna tell me anything.

That's my girl. You know me so well.

We move to more standard topics following that as we make our way to the station. Then we exchange goodbyes and part ways.

…...

06/02 (SAT), Evening
Yesterday was a rare day. I was able to open the store for once. Customers dwindle during holiday periods, but regulars in the area still tend to drop by. I'm glad most of them understand that my gran's away, so they make it a point to cheer me on rather than criticize my offerings.

Yo, Rinny. Wanna go somewhere the week after the culture festival?

Mao comes over to chat as I'm getting ready to go home.

Sure. Got someplace in mind?

Hmm, not yet. Could always go see a movie or hit up karaoke.

She grins as she notices my hesitation.

C'mon. Don't deny me the pleasure of watching your sheepish singing, Rinny...

I'd very much like to deny you that.

We haven't been to karaoke with Naorin yet, have we? It'd be good timing, so let's do it! I bet that girl's got a killer voice. Dunno what she'd sing, but the quiet types are always surprisingly good at singing. The only curveball is Miharu and her job... Eh, whatever. Things'll sort themselves out.

She prattles on and on without giving me a chance to speak. I'm all too aware that this is her way of making sure I can't turn her down. I am pretty curious about what Naomi would try to sing, so I end up agreeing.

Yessss. Make sure you keep the Saturday after next open, then.

Sure.

The Saturday after next... would be the 16th. Two more elections stand between now and then. I should be fine for this week's, but who knows about next week's. That's not the mindset I should have, though. My utmost priority is making sure I never get elected.

Rinny?

I apologize for getting lost in thought before we make our way out.

…...

After spending some time in Shinjuku, I find myself waiting for the train. I realize it's been a while since the last time I went to the bookstore, so I decided to stop by before heading home. There are a fair number of new shoujo manga on sale, so I buy a couple to try.

Oh, Rinka!

As it happens, Naomi is already there and waiting for the same train. She even has the same bag in hand as me, which means we were both at the same store. After discussing what we both bought, Naomi's expression gets a bit more serious as she changes the topic.

How did things go with that child, if I may ask?

She must mean Yu. It's funny, thinking back to that first encounter. Not only did I not know his name, I actually thought he was a girl. How much should I tell Naomi, though? I can't give her all the details like I did with Miharu. Miharu's warning comes to mind as I mull it over.

Let's just say... things worked out.

Ahh... Okay.

Sorry...

The exchange is brief, but it no doubt leaves Naomi a tad vexed. If I'm not going to tell her everything, then I'm better off not saying anything at all. Her pained expression tells me exactly how the current situation makes her feel. Doing this to her hurts me enough already, but she must feel even worse on the receiving end. That's why I try my best to change the topic.

Is something wrong?

As soon as I do, I notice a familiar figure amongst the crowd. Not wanting Naomi to notice, I keep my gaze on her, only resorting to quick glances to make sure I'm right. And I am- it's Yu. He's standing in the crowd, as if waiting for someone. But I mean, there's a very limited pool of people he could be waiting for. He tries to seem nonchalant, but I notice him glancing over to me every now and then.

Oh, sorry. I forgot to pick something up for the cafe. Go on back without me.

Um, I don't mind joining you...

Nah, it's fine. I'm sure you're tired from all the preparations for the culture festival, so I say go and get some rest.

She nods, although it's obvious that she has read between the lines. Following that, I wave goodbye as she gets on the train. Yu makes his way over after confirming that I'm alone.

Rinka...

He probably realized that I saw him.

I need to ask a favor.

He cuts right to the chase. I opt to quietly hear him out.

I want to help Shigetsugu see his family again. But I need you to help me figure out where they are. Shigetsugu said he'd already given up, but it's obvious that he's wanted to see them again for a long time.

I'm the only one who can convince him, but... I couldn't bring myself to say anything. It just frustrates me so much. I've spent so much time up till now trying to figure out what I should do. Trying to figure out the right answer. It was tough, but... now I know! Things can't go on like this! We'll both regret it if they do!

He lets his emotions run rampant despite being out in public. There is nothing I can do to stop him, either. Once he finishes his spiel, he stares at me, worry all over his face. I can't blame him. Normally, people wouldn't hear him out, but he's probably hoping for the slight possibility that I will.

I don't know where they are. Shigetsugu probably wouldn't tell me, either. There's no way I could ask Aran, so... you're the only one I can rely on! Please...

He's probably expecting me to turn him down based on my silence. I don't seem to be in the right state of mind... His desperation to help Shigetsugu serves to warm my heart. As does knowing we both thought of the same thing.

BGM: Entrusted Feelings

They moved away due to his son getting transferred to another branch of his company, so finding out which prefecture they were in was pretty easy. Calling them and pretending to be other departments worked out well. I've been brushing up on my acting skills ever since Divine Selection started, so I was able to nail down the city they're in.

Huh...?

But the rest is up to you. Just ask around the neighborhood to find out which house is theirs. Guess I can give you money for the shinkansen and lodging for the night. I gotta keep it a secret from my gran, but it'll be fine as long as you pay me back.

What's... happening right now?

If you're not taking Shigetsugu with you, then you'll just have to convince his family to come see him instead. I won't help you out more than this, but I want you to trust yourself.

I honestly don't get what's happening...

Shigetsugu said that Yu is both brave and compassionate. I have to agree. I hand him an envelope. Inside is the information I've already dug up regarding Shigetsugu's family, as well as some money.

Did you... know I'd do this?

It's only because I had the same idea cross my mind.

It's their story from here on out. I have no intention of seeing it through. Now that I've done this much for Yu, I should be able to avoid waking up with regret if Shigetsugu gets eliminated.

I want to see him happy till the very end, so... I'll do everything I can to make sure that happens. Thanks, Rinka! I promise I'll pay you back!

After he says that, he remains still for a moment. Just as I mutter that I need to go, he stops me. His expression is deathly serious.

There's one more favor.

His face makes it clear that this one is serious. Even so, I don't expect what comes out of his mouth next.

BGM: He Reveals me the Answer

I want you to eliminate me.

Huh...?

I kinda figured that you've already obtained all three of my cards. I also figured that you wouldn't elect me. You're just too kind.

But why...?

Because... I want you to live.

You're joking! Er, sorry... I shouldn't shout at you.

But I'm serious. If there's anyone I'm fine with being eliminated by, it's you. That's not all, though. I shouldn't be allowed to live in the first place.

What? What makes you say that?

My memories don't seem like they'll ever come back. But sometimes, I'm... scared of myself. Sometimes I get the feeling that the person I was before this... is ready to do something terrible... I may become something else entirely if my memories return. Who knows what I'll do then.

So, please! Kill me before that can happen!

I can feel the pressure he's been bottling up inside from the tone of his voice. That unknown factor has probably been haunting him for a while now. I had no intention of electing him this week, just as he said. Mostly because I don't have it in me.

Sorry, but I need some time to think.

Why? You'll have to eliminate me sooner or later if you want to live, right?

Right. But right now, I'd rather leave that for when your memories return. For when we can both learn about the link we share. Are you sure your amnesia isn't just causing you to panic? And I might regret my action by eliminating you before I learn something important.

But you gotta!

He refuses to give in. He knows what I'm like by now, and yet he presses on regardless.

Please... You'll do this for me, won't you?

I can't bring myself to answer. He refuses to stop staring at me, waiting for me to say yes. He believes he might do something terrible, but I can't see that happening. Sure, his past required him to know how to fight, but that doesn't feel relevant to his current fears.

It's a promise.

He cuts the conversation off after a period of silence and takes his leave without another word. There's a reason I couldn't give him the response he wanted. Deep down, I knew.

I just can't do it yet.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Cloacamazing! posted:

It's a bit unfair, one of her starting cards is completely useless

From Update 29:

Update 29 posted:

Surely you wouldn't be pleased with your own actions if they give others an unfair advantage, would you?

Goodness, did something happen to my memory? I certainly don't recall making any claims about being a neutral party, nor that Divine Selection would be conducted in a fair manner.

Parca doesn't give a poo poo about fairness :v:

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

06/03 (SUN), Night
Today turns out to be another rare day. I keep the cafe open all day long. Leaving it closed so often has taken its toll on me. My legs feel like rubber now that my shift is over. Either way, working up a sweat from hard work feels pretty good. And getting to see all the customers relaxed and content makes it all worth it.

Right. Time for a shower and bed.

This week's election awaits. It doesn't actually matter when I decide to go to sleep, but the more sleep I get, the better I should feel in the morning.

…...

I notice a sizeable black object in my room as soon as I enter. Ah. It's Lethe, lording over my bed as always.

Oh, you...

In all honesty, it's reassuring to know I'm not all alone.

…...

BGM: The Sacred Large Hall

06/03 (SUN), Midnight
Good evening, my lovely little slaves to fate.

Parca's voice echoes throughout the Court of Fate. That's the prelude to this week's election.

Ho, ho. It's nice that we arrive here like clockwork. I'm so old that I forget to set my DVR to record my TV shows.

I would very much appreciate you not treating this as televised entertainment.

Oh? Has humanity's humble TV piqued even a lovely goddess' interest?

I assure you, no ethereal being is as educated regarding the trends of the mortal coil as I. Existing outwith the bounds of time can lead to extreme boredom, you see.

She smiles as she responds to Shigetsugu. There is something inherently off about hearing a being like her, who feels right at home in a fantasy setting, talking about TVs. I wonder if she observes events in the real world from here, as if watching us on TV.

I see hints of exhaustion from you all. We are nearly halfway through Divine Selection, so that's to be expected.

So can we just get on with it, then? Might as well hurry this up so we can get sole solid shut-eye.

Federico speaks up in his typical tone of jest. From what I can tell, he doesn't have any serious injuries. Yu claimed to have rendered him immobile, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Either that, or the dream world doesn't reflect our current state in the real world. Meaning, he's acting fine to cover up the fact that he's been injured.

Goodness gracious. Quite the impatient lot. Have you no sympathy for a goddess looking to stave off boredom? No matter. We have eight elections left, including tonight's I am sure you will provide me with some entertainment during that span of time.

Allow me to begin tonight's election. Revolve, O'Clock of Fate!

Things proceed as usual after that. Each participant announces whether or not they want to elect someone as the clock hand makes its revolution. Naturally, I'm up first because I'm Numeral I. I announce my intent to not elect anyone tonight. In the end, Alan is the only one to announce an election.

I elect Numeral V.

As expected, he goes straight for Shigetsugu. Shigetsugu seems satisfied with this outcome. I can only guess the meaning behind it, but I'd like to believe his story ends on a positive note. More importantly...

You liar...

A sense of guilt washes over me as I hear those words get muttered.

…...

Two people face one another in the Court of Fate's upper stratum. Alan and Shigetsugu. For Alan, this is his third time. Much like the previous two, his expression remains solid.

Well, this is something else. The dream world offers surprise after surprise.

Alan remains silent after Shigetsugu's remark. The only thing in his eyes is the reflection of an old man's decrepit smile.

You've become quite the regular visitor here, haven't you?

Alan gives no response to Parca, who appears out of nowhere, either.

Worry not. I'm aware that you are not one for words. Please select your three cards.

BGM: Fated Selection

Alan opens up his card book and produces the relevant cards. Once done, he reads them aloud.

His name is Ushizuka Shigetsugu. He died of starvation. His regret... is the family he once got along with.

Ho ho. Fortunately, I have no more regrets. I'm not sure how he pulled off his trick, but he allowed me the chance to see my family one last time.

Don't be foolish. That was no trick. It was a heartfelt gift from him, your family, to you. His efforts will be in vain if you refuse to accept that.

Ohoho, don't worry. I'm aware. It's just this old man's way of hiding his embarrassment.

...I see.

I would say I'm surprised at your outburst, but that's not true. While brief, our time together was enough to understand that no one holds their family as dear as you.

Hmph. I let this drag on longer than necessary. Hurry up with the proceedings.

Oh, done chatting already?

Before Alan can respond, a bright light floods from his cards. It envelops the area in an instant.

…...

BGM: Fall Into...

A man haunted by loneliness. On the floor in his home. As starvation whittled him away, all he could do was reflect on his past. He wished to return to those happier times. It was an unrealizable dream, and yet it was one he would cling to as his life's light gradually extinguished.

…...

Expect no sympathy from me. Your dream did end up coming true. That's more than enough.

I admit that it is quite rare for you to be even the slightest bit sentimental.

How many times must I tell you not to concern yourself with me? Do your job.

Dull to the core... No matter. You may reveal your interesting side to me sooner than you expect.

Alan's platform begins to move as Shigetsugu's cards float in front of him. He must pick a card to keep before returning to the lower stratum. His expression remains emotionless as he chooses.

…...

Sometime after, Alan descends by himself.

Which card would you like to obtain?

I choose Numeral IV's regret.

…...

BGM: Do You Understand?

Something's wrong. Yu seems completely unfazed by Alan's selection. No, that's not quite right. His expression is alien compared to a few minutes ago. It sends a shiver right down my spine. His gaze remains focused on me rather than Alan.

That kid...

I find it hard to believe that it's simply anger over me not electing him. This is something else. Like I'm staring into an endless abyss of rage.

Ouch...!

My head suddenly begins to pound. But not enough to make me collapse, so I do my best to power through it.

*crack!*

What in the world...?

I notice Alan's bewilderment the moment he touches Yu's card. The card, which was glowing white, suddenly shatters. The fragments disperse throughout the area.

Oh, my. Oh me, oh my.

My card book begins to glow as well. Parca speaks up as soon as I notice.

Tonight's session resulted in one elimination. I bid you all farewell for now.

The seeds of dissonance have already begun to sprout. But this is just the beginning...

[END OF WEEK FIVE: DISTORTED FAMILIAL LOVE]

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014
Parca being like "well that was interesting! Anyways..." is very funny to me for some reason.

I'm guessing that Yu's regret changed at some point, thus the card shattered as soon as it was handled. Of course, it's hard to say why it changed, as one of a few different things could have caused it.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

ZCKaiser posted:

Parca being like "well that was interesting! Anyways..." is very funny to me for some reason.

I'm guessing that Yu's regret changed at some point, thus the card shattered as soon as it was handled. Of course, it's hard to say why it changed, as one of a few different things could have caused it.

Which means that Rinka no longer has all 3 of his cards.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

BGM: Powerless

06/04 (MON), Morning
Huff, hahh...

I wake up drenched in sweat. The gross and sticky kind, no less. Lethe is nowhere to be seen, so I assume it was another midnight departure. What in the world happened during that election? The moment Alan got his hands on that card, it shattered. It was Yu's regret card, too. I have that card as well, so I've got a bad feeling about this. I peek into my own book of cards, fearing the worst.

No way... What's going on here?!

I'm sure the distress in my voice is apparent. Yu's regret card has vanished. This has never happened before. If the card disappears, does that mean his regret has disappeared? That can't be right. His regret was about his mother's cooking, so it wouldn't disappear because I made him one dinner. Even if it did, I would've lost the card sooner. Shigetsugu wouldn't have had it, either. Which means...

There's only one possibility. That's why I decide to go back to Shigetsugu's house after school.

…...

06/04 (MON), Noon
School itself has started to get busy thanks to culture festival preparations. My class got started pretty late, comparatively, so the people in charge were running around during lunch to get things set up. Much as I think that they should've gotten it all sorted out earlier, I'm in no position to comment when I'm doing the bare minimum to help. I would be willing to help out if they asked, but they're making it pretty clear that they want to handle things themselves. And I get why. It's nice when you and a group of friends pull stuff like that off together. Naomi's class is probably doing much better than ours in that regard.

Welp, let's grab some grub.

Not a care in the world, huh?

It's awkward to sit in here right now, so let's make our way to the rooftop.

Whoa, hey. Watch what you're saying.

Why should I? They're the ones who turned down Mao's offer to help because of our being around her.

No worries. Makes life easier for me.

Something tells me that Miharu's a bit annoyed. Most likely because it's easy to guess how they treated Mao when she offered to help.

Besides, they're the ones that sorted our shifts out for us. Might as well thank 'em, really.

Well, so long as you're fine with it. Let's get going.

I nod and follow along behind them.

…...

Chow time!

All three of us enjoy lunch on the rooftop, as usual. Times like these are when I can relax the most. Just as I'm enjoying my tonkatsu sandwich, a familiar voice calls out as the rooftop door opens.

Sorry... is Rinka here?

Naomi...

Yo, Naorin! Feels like ages since I last saw you!

Oh hi, Mao! Good day to you too, Miharu...

Miharu makes eye contact with her, but says nothing. Both Naomi and I understand why, so Naomi makes her business clear right away.

Um, I have some coffee coupons, so... here you go!

She hands three tickets to us. The word 'COFFEE' is printed in the middle in an oversized font. Beneath that, it says 'Amecha Girls' University High School Culture Festival'.

Our class caught the Principal's eye, so now they'll be selling these tickets at the reception. I got some spare ones, so I wanted to give them to you.

Nice! Guess they're going all-out to attract as many people as they can.

Plenty of classes barely put in any effort, like ours, so all the work your class did could serve as good PR for the school.

That's a fair point... I'm really happy for you, honest. All that work paid off!

W-We won't know that until the culture festival starts... This is all thanks to you! I didn't expect to get so hooked once you started teaching me...

So Naorin, you gonna do any cosplay?

Mao poses a new question to cut off the current conversation. Naomi's face burns a bright red in response.

C-Cosplay? You mean like what Miharu does...?

I'll have you know that's just my official work uniform.

S-Sorry! S-Someone did suggest we do that, but... I'm sure it wouldn't suit me...

Man... Have you ever heard of tropes?

Literary tropes?

Uh, I guess? Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing you on the day.

Mao shoots a wry smile at Naomi.

Oh, right. You free the Saturday after the culture festival? We're planning to head out somewhere again and figured you might wanna join.

I'm free, yes... A-Are you sure you want me to come along, though...?

I won't object. Neither will Rinka, I assume.

Yup. Dunno what we're doing, but it'll be nice to get out again.

What happened to my karaoke idea...?

I'll look forward to it! But promise me that you'll come along during the culture festival!

Naomi... No worries, we'll be there. Good luck with preparations.

Thank you!

I do my best to swallow the words I was about to say to her as she walks off. Miharu fires a glance at me as I do. I can only imagine the feelings behind her current expression.

You two should eat up before lunchtime is over.

Divine Selection is in my thoughts more often than I'd like these days, but Mao's comment ejects it from my mind for a little bit. Another day spent eating lunch together with friends under a blue sky. Another day spent casually treading the thin line between the life I want and the reality I must face.

…...

06/04 (MON), Evening
Once school is over, I catch up to Miharu on her way home.

What's wrong? It's unusual for you to approach me like this.

Miharu's already aware of the situation after her help in fending off Numeral XI. I don't want to skimp on the details, so I make sure she gets the full story about Saturday night.

It's about what happened to that card last night.

Sorry... I have a shift scheduled. As much as I'd like to discuss this over tea, I'm afraid I don't have the time.

I know, so I'll be brief. You know the circumstances surrounding Numeral IV, so I just want your take on the matter.

You said you had his regret card, didn't you? The same that Numeral XII chose last night. I assume yours disappeared as well?

I nod, and then Miharu continues... We both offer our thoughts on why and how the card could disappear like that. Both of us seem to have the same idea, too. Miharu tries to make her way to the station after that, but I stop her again. There's something that's been nagging at me that I need to talk to her about.

That's not all, though. Something's been on my mind ever since Shigetsugu, the one eliminated last night, divulged a certain story to me.

And what sort of story was that?

Hmm... One about how different people can share a connection. It got me thinking about how, despite all the people we meet throughout our lives, we never have the right to force them into anything.

This is about Naomi, I assume?

What gave me away?

This is you we're talking about. You're not sure if practically forcing Naomi to distance herself from Divine Selection was the right choice, are you? Let me make this clear. My opinion on the matter won't change. Allowing her to involve herself puts her into treacherous territory.

But at the same time, Rinka... you're correct. It's not my place to dictate what you two decide. Heh... Let's not forget that we're both acting of our own volition. I'm perfectly content offering my life to you, much like how you get involved with participants you hardly know.

Yeah... you're right.

It's so obvious, now that she mentions it. Everyone's acting of their own accord. Miharu chewed me out for it, but that never stopped me from getting involved with Keiko, Sonya, or Shigetsugu and Yu. I stuck by my choices.

That being said, Naomi's got her hands full with the culture festival. If you plan to discuss things with her, I suggest doing so afterwards.

Yeah, I know. Thanks.

Looks like Miharu knew exactly why I tried to stop Naomi, just as I figured. I might be the type of person to act before I think, but this time around, I knew it'd be best to do the opposite.

After parting ways with Miharu, I end up near Shigetsugu's house. I made sure to tell her I'd be doing so, to which she offered the warning, “Just be careful.” Number IV's regret card is gone. That much is a fact. I wasn't sure if I had it in me to elect Yu, but that's irrelevant now that I don't have all his cards. The time will come when I have to steel myself for the inevitable. I won't be able to keep myself safe should Yu end up gathering all my information, either. That's why I made my way here- to confirm whether or not our guess was correct.

It isn't long before the reality of the matter will overturn that logic, however.

I stand in front of Shigetsugu's house, mouth agape. That might not be the right way to put it. The house I've become so familiar with is no longer there. In its place, an empty lot. Not a single trace remains of the place Shigetsugu spent his final days. A gust of wind blows through the lot, as if to accentuate the emptiness I feel. At the same time, I notice a familiar figure.

Why didn't you elect me?

It is Numeral IV. Yu. His appearance hasn't changed since we last spoke, but his voice sounds somewhat younger.

I asked you to kill me. I begged you to. But you didn't... Why?

He somehow sounds even more serious than he did Saturday night.

Will you kill me during the next election?

I'm... not sure.

That's all I can muster. He casts his gaze to the ground before replying.

I knew it. You won't elect me even if I tell you my regret.

His voice grows deeper than before. His eyes are as empty as they were in the Court of Fate.

You still don't know what you should do... Don't worry. I'll make sure that you kill me.

Your memories came back, didn't they? That's why your true regret replaced the one that we knew. Just what was locked away within your memories?

Hell on Earth.

I'm not sure what he means, but it doesn't seem to matter to him. He turns his back to me before continuing.

I hope you're prepared to face what happens next.

Wait...! There's still more I...!

He ignores my plea.

You'll be the one to-

I fail to catch his final words before he leaves. But the tone of his voice had changed yet again. It felt as though each and every word he said pierced me. As he fades into the sunset on the horizon, it reminds me of someone marching into a blazing hellfire.

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

There's a lot of great cliffhangers in this LP.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

06/04 (MON), Night
Once home, all I can do is think about what Yu said. About how I don't have it in me to elect him. It's true that he asked me to do so. But I never even had the opportunity to apologize for denying him that request. I open up my card book once more.

This is still here, at least.

As suspected, his memories have returned. His mother's cooking was a regret born from his amnesia. There's no doubt it was rooted deep in his psyche, but also inherently different from the regret he held before losing his memories. By that logic, it's odd that his name card didn't disappear along with his regret after regaining his memories. But the name card is still here... If the cards are based on personal perception, then it makes sense.

So... two possibilities exist. The first is that he had no name before. The second is that he doesn't consider his previous name to be his real one. I'm leaning toward that idea. For example, he wants to distance himself from his previous self due to some bad experiences. Shigetsugu conjectured that his skill in combat came from being in an environment that demanded it. If that's the case, then he's likely been through all sorts of things that a normal person like me can't even imagine.

Maybe I was too cruel...

I can understand why he'd want to be eliminated to avoid remembering what all he'd gone through. He's likely struggling with his past right now. My own hesitation has caused him to suffer. It's something I should've realized with ease, yet I unconsciously avoided it. Eliminating another is the same as killing them. I was simply too scared to shoulder that sin.

I wonder what Naomi would say if she heard all this...

What would I have done if she were here? If she shouldered that sin with me? Things are different from before, though. I'm not sure how she'd react to me possibly eliminating someone.

There's no point in thinking about this. No one else can understand how I feel...

Once again, I seal the cap on my emotions. I opt to run away. All the while, overlooking the future in store for me.

…...

06/08 (FRI), Evening
In the end, I spend my days following that as normal. The only notable difference is everyone getting ready for the culture festival. I put a temporary hold on my efforts to gather information, too. Mainly because I was curious about what Yu said. I expect him to make some sort of move against me, so I've been half-heartedly watching out for that.

I make sure to fill Miharu in, too. Somewhat ironic how I chose to not form a pact with her, and yet we're practically working together. We haven't shared the details of one another's' cards, but that's about it. Miharu seems to be at something of a loss regarding how to proceed, herself. As for Alan and Numeral XI, I haven't seen either of them since our last encounter. Alan did mention that he was trying to get his hands on information pertaining to that duo, so it's possible that both parties are scouting each other out now.

Ugh. Things can't go on like this.

I decide to go for a walk through the park to take my mind off things. The culture festival starts tomorrow and ends Sunday. I shouldn't have to worry about being elected this week, so long as I don't do the same to anyone else. I hope that things settle down a bit during the culture festival since I've been hitting a wall so much recently. I need to get out my frustrations today in order to accomplish that, though. Sitting down on my favorite bench, I gaze at the buildings in the distance. A single crow flies past, which makes the clock tower that already stands out all the more captivating. I still find it hard to believe that this is the final destination Parca mentioned. To me, it's a place I associate with memories of my childhood and my talk with Naomi a while back.

I have to admit, I'm surprised Miharu didn't tear me a new one on Monday. Maybe something changed within her during Divine Selection. Actually, hang on... If anyone's changed, it's me. I'm able to talk things out with her now. The same might apply to her. I've noticed that we've been keeping fewer things from each other. People can't forcefully change one another, but the way we interact with others can change along with us. That said, Naomi never changed her attitude toward me, despite how I treated her. She did everything she could to maintain the status quo. I understand the weight behind her offer to share responsibility with me far more than I did back then.

Naomi...

*bzzz!*

My phone rings as if in response to my mumbling. I open up my text app only to learn that it's none other than Naomi. The text reads, “What is it?” That's odd. It's like she heard what I just said, but that can't be. I didn't butt dial her or anything.

BGM: Naomi

Rinka...

I hear a voice come from behind me. Part of me thinks I'm hearing things.

Gah! Naomi?!

S-Sorry! I didn't intend to surprise you like that.

D-Don't worry about it... Shouldn't you be preparing for tomorrow?

We've mostly finished setting up, so we all decided to go home early today. Of course, we have to wake up extra early tomorrow to make up for it. Have you ever gone through not being able to sleep the night before a big excursion?

Not really...

H-How very like you. Er, I was one of those kids, myself. So, well... I was going through something similar today, with the nerves and all, so I figured I might calm down if I came here... and I found you.

I, um, actually really like this place, so I've been coming every now and then ever since you first brought me.

She struggles to hide her shy expression, not to mention her flushed cheeks. I feel myself cracking a smile.

You are the class leader, so I guess you've got stuff on your mind.

D-Don't put me under more pressure than I am already, please...! I hardly stand out and this is the first time I've done something like this... It doesn't help that I've always been introverted...

Haha. You'll be all right.

I know I shouldn't laugh, but there's just something inherently adorable about her. Part of me is envious over her ability to worry so much over something like this. But that isn't the main reason I find myself smiling.

I don't think I could ever imagine things turning out like this when we first met.

D-Don't bring that up, please! I'll die of embarrassment...!

It was around the beginning of April, wasn't it? Feels like so long ago, now...

…...

BGM: The Memory Remains

It was the Saturday after the first and second years had their entrance and opening ceremonies, respectively. Class ended in the morning for us that day, but I was told to stay behind and finish all the homework I hadn't handed in. Not that it was my fault I hadn't done it. Gran was going to the countryside at the end of March, so I spent most of my time helping her with her luggage and making preparations for living on my own. Not to mention the time spent learning the ropes so Lion House could stay open. Those were all personal circumstances, though. Bringing them up with my teachers felt like I'd just be making excuses, so I refused. Thus, I ended up retreating into the library to get it all done.

The place was empty because the new term had just begun... with the exception of one person.

There we go...

That person was Hitsuji Naomi, who had just started her life at Amecha. “She must be a real bookworm to visit the library already.” That was my first impression of her. I made my way over to an empty seat, piling up all the homework waiting to be done. Naomi sat not too far from me, reading through a big pile of books. Thinking back, she must be a speed reader, considering she planned to finish the whole lot.

Does she enjoy reading books here?

I couldn't help but ponder aloud. She could've made some coffee and gotten cozy on her own bed to read if she just took them home. Granted, it wasn't my place to question her logic while I sat there to finish homework at the beginning of the new term. I'm not even sure how long we were in there for. All I remember was that it had grown pitch black outside. Just as I was about to leave to avoid being shouted at for staying past opening hours, I noticed that Naomi was still there. She wasn't reading, though. She looked like she was searching for something. She made her way through the bookshelves, checking the spines one by one.

Oh, no...

I can't recall if she said those exact words or not, but I did hear some sort of panicked noise. Her expression and attitude made it all the more apparent.

Hey, something the matter?

O-Oh, sorry... I was just about to leave...

It's fine. I'm just a student. Did something happen? You seem troubled.

Er, I... Uh...

Her reaction forced me to remember my bad reputation. Mao said that rumors about me spread like wildfire, even over the most minor of things, so the first years may already be aware of me. Golden streaks in my hair, an intimidating expression, and petite. It hurt to admit it, but most people would recognize someone with such specific traits. Judging by her demeanor, it's obvious that she's too scared to talk.

Whatever. You're looking for something, right? Just tell me what it is and I'll look around on my own.

Huh...? B-But...

It won't be long until a teacher kicks us out. If you don't want me to help, fine, but it seems important to you.

I have fond memories of how funny her reaction to that was. Her eyes darted all over as she struggled to find a reply. Eventually, she stared right at me before speaking up.

I... I accidentally put my notebook on a shelf instead of a book... I was reading a book at the same time, so I didn't even notice when I did it...

I take it you're the clumsy type?

Apparently she received the notebook from her mom as an enrollment gift. Losing it that fast might earn her a record or two. She'd probably get a prize in innovation for the way she did so, too. That said, I felt bad for her. It didn't seem likely that anyone would stumble across it, considering how many books the library had. Things would only get more difficult as the days passed and people switched them in and out, too. That's why I decided to help her out.

A teacher eventually did come along to chase us off. I stopped searching at that point, instead opting to buy Naomi some time. An hour or so later, she managed to find it.

…..

Th-Thank you so much for your help! You even went and convinced the teacher for me...

I'm not sure what I did counts as convincing, but hey. I'm glad you found it. Better make your way home now.

U-Umm... Could we... go to the station together...?

People are gonna start rumors about you if they catch you with me.

R-Rumors...? Why would they?

You should know. Weren't you scared of me earlier?

Scared...? O-Oh, not at all! I was just... embarrassed over what I'd done. I may be the only person to lose something like that...

That's probably true.

I felt dumb for worrying about my reputation. She didn't know, and my appearance hadn't intimidated her. It wasn't all that special a moment when I think about it, but somehow... I felt like it was.

Shishimai Rinka. Pleased to meet you.

Hitsuji Naomi... P-Pleased to meet you.

I think it took less than a week for her to become more casual around me. Oh, it's worth noting that she tripped over herself on our way to the station. There was nothing special about how we met, yet it was a memorable occasion to me, regardless.

…..

Both of us laugh as we talk about the past.

BGM: Naomi
Why'd you have that notebook out in the library, anyway?

I make sure to note down the title of whatever I've read and my thoughts. You could say it's my diary, of sorts. My thoughts on certain books change depending on when I read them, too.

It's taken two months, but now my curiosity is sated. It makes sense, considering how organized she is.

Hey, about Monday-
Um, can I ask about-

We both speak at the same time, interrupting one another. The embarrassment that follows leads to a brief silence.

Erm...
Um...

We do it a second time, but now Naomi smiles.

Ehehe. You go first.

Thanks... I wanted to wait until after the culture festival, but this feels like a good time. I want to apologize for the way I treated you. Sorry for trying to wedge a wall between us. That was selfish of me.

N-Not at all... I know you did it out of concern, so there's no need to apologize...

Her eyes are darting all over again, but I make sure to keep my eyes on her. I need her to understand that she shouldn't hold back. Noticing that, she nods.

Nothing's changed since then. I'm still as weak as ever. So, if you're fine with it, then-

Naomi cuts me off with a hug. She pulls me right in and squeezes hard enough that I feel each of her fingers caressing my back.

You already know the answer to that question...

Thanks, Naomi.

O-Oh! Sorry for hugging you out of nowhere!

She pushes herself away from me, leaving her hands out in front of her. I grab both with my right hand and then place my left on top.

You should focus on tomorrow and Sunday for now, though.

Right!

We spend some time chatting away following that. Once the park is about to close, we leave. It really is strange. The time we spent together in the park was brief, but it made me feel far better than I had in a long time.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

BGM: Culture Festival

06/09 (SAT), Noon
Good morning.

Morning.

Miharu arrives at school as I'm thinking back over the past week. We agreed to meet before moving on to help our class with stuff. Just waiting on Mao now. Then the Three Musketeers will have gathered.

You seem less concerned than earlier this week. Did something happen?

Nah... I just went on a refreshing walk.

Hmph. I'll take your word for it. As much as I love your troubled expression, I'd much rather see you relax today. Especially when the fruits of Naomi's labor are on display.

Not every day that you concern yourself with her.

You think? I'm more than willing to admit that she's been working hard for this.

Yeah.

There it is. That's the smile I want to see. I'm glad that even I can make you wear it.

Geez... You really know how to exaggerate...

Mornin', troops! Sorry. Kinda overslept.

Mao turns up five minutes late. Her face, not to mention the bags under her eyes, make it obvious that she's pretty worn out.

Figured I'd be solid, but then I started to read some manga I had lying around... Man, I'm beat.

Not like you're any different during the week. We did set the meeting time expecting this to happen though, so let's go.

…...

Good job!

I'm not sure my vocabulary can cover just how awful that was. They honestly thought making the room dark and putting a crystal ball in it would make it feel authentic. Let's not even mention how they literally just called it Fortune Teller.

I won't blame them for throwing on some black cloaks considering their budget, but there's something to be said about having us simply print out a customer's fortune and hand it to them.

You're spitting lots of venom today.

C'mon, I had some fun at least.

Miharu wasn't wrong, though. It was very... meh, to say the least. The fortune telling itself was done via PC program- bought by one of the girls familiar with that sort of stuff- so that wasn't bad. You put your date of birth and some other info in, and then it spit out a result based around horoscopes. It was our job to print and hand out said results to anyone who wanted them. She probably didn't get permission from the creator to use it for this, so the idea was a bit of a grey area. Then again, charging 100 yen per go probably tipped the scales.

More importantly, now we get to actually enjoy the culture festival.

If by 'enjoy' you mean spend time in the library till noon before going home, then yes. Well, once we're done with Naomi's class, I mean.

Relax. I'm doing the same. Though, hey, might as well get a look at what's going on elsewhere before that!

…...

Phew. I'm beat.

We actually ended up walking around the whole school. Mao doesn't have it in her to skip stuff she has no interest in if she sees that people put effort into it. Not sure if I should praise her for that or not. We're used to her dragging us around like this since last year, so neither me nor Miharu are bothered. Not that we'd admit it to her, of course. Well, we do skip out on the stuff going on at the auditorium and courtyard, so you could argue it is more a case of self-gratification. There is still plenty to see and learn from going around and checking out different stuff, at least.

Speaking of, there's one major thing I notice while we're doing so.

There are plenty of people carrying cups around, aren't there?

Indeed. They even have plastic lids on them.

Looks like letting people take their cups around campus was the right idea. They must be pretty busy.

Hopefully it's all going okay.

Curious, are we? Guess it's time to begin our raid on her class, then!

We've passed by once already, so we know which way to go. The corridors have been gradually filling up with people as the day drags on. We make our way through the crowd with one destination in mind.

…..

Ooooh, they've got it all nice and fancy looking!

The first year classrooms are up on the third floor, with Naomi's being at the end of the corridor. There seem to be a lot of customers, too. Possibly thanks to the tickets they're selling at the reception area. One door is being used as the entrance, with the other as the exit. A number of people are making their way out, plastic cups in hand. It feels similar to what you see at big coffee shop chains.

Granted, this is largely meant to be used as more of a rest area. You can see the dripping procedure as well, so I guess that's part of the experience. There's a nice fragrance making its way to the hallway. That's a good sign. It's probably one of the reasons why it's so busy. You normally don't get the chance to enjoy something like this at school.

I split the tickets between the three of us before we make our way in.

Huh? Where's Naorin?

I don't see her anywhere...

Lemme go ask.

She approaches one of the girls at the door to ask. Seems like this is where you pay if you don't have a ticket. 200 yen a cup makes sense when you take the budget into account.

Looks like she went out with some friends to stock up since they're running low. She just left, so it'll take a while before she's back. Guess they got a lot more customers than expected.

She must have this place under tight control. I'm impressed.

Wanna come back later?

Nah. Might as well stick around now that we're here. We can always come back again.

Sounds good. My feet've been begging for a seat anyway.

Miharu nods in agreement. We hand our tickets over and get some coffee.

They're the same chairs we use for class, but they have nice tablecloths and decorations set up on the desks. Makes it an ideal spot to sit down and escape all the activity outside. The coffee's nice and fragrant, so they've definitely worked hard on it. I can just imagine Naomi doing her best to teach everyone how to brew it. I hope to get the chance to taste her coffee once she's back.

Naomi's fondness of Lion House is rather apparent.

It is kinda similar, now that you mention it. Feels like a spin-off.

Makes sense, considering how often she came. I helped her pick out the coasters and things, too.

Heh. You truly are a big influence on her, aren't you?

Mao asks for some milk and extra sugar. I take a peek into her cup to see the results. Her coffee is almost pure white. She takes a sip before changing the subject.

Oh yeah, was there a new transfer student or something among the first years? I noticed someone I hadn't seen before. They're small and have white hair. Couldn't get a proper look, but I caught sight of them this morning.

I'm not too familiar with the other years, so I couldn't tell you.

Same. I'm surprised you noticed, though.

It's hard not to notice a kid like that. They stand out as much as you, Rinny. Looked a bit young to be in high school, but their boyish appearance was kinda cute. No doubt they get tons of chocolate on Valentine's Day.

Did they stand out that much?

Yup. Want me to ask when we get the opportunity?

It... can't be...

All the dots connect as she describes this person to us. White hair, young looking, boyish... There's only one person I know who fits that description.

I'm probably overthinking things. They had our school uniform on, right?

Yup. That's why I figured they're a first year. Oh hey, looks like they're back.

A few girls make their way through the entrance holding large plastic bags. Naomi is nowhere to be seen, though. Mao heads to the back to ask again.

Apparently, she's talking to someone she knows. And whaddaya know, it's the transfer student we were talking about. I wonder if something happened between them?

No way!

I shout my thoughts for all to hear. I'm not overthinking things. I can't figure out why, but I just know.

Sorry. Do me a favor and wait elsewhere.

Rinny? What's up?

I make eye contact with Miharu. Looks like we're on the same page. I rush out of the classroom, leaving Miharu to deal with Mao.

He's here.

Yu's come to my school.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

You're spitting lots of venom today.

I appreciate weird lines like this because this is how my Autistic brain makes me talk in real life sometimes when I let my guard down.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

content warning: violence, depiction of bodily harm

I make my way out to the hallway, which is as lively as ever. There's even more people than before, which leads to an even bigger line to get into the classroom.

Where's Naomi...?!

I don't see them anywhere. Yu should stand out regardless of how many people there are, so they must not be on this floor. Immediately after that, something I could never expect unfolds.

A thunderous roar bursts down the hallway. The whole building shakes. It's a bit too short- too weak- to be an earthquake, though. Unrest starts to spread through the students and visitors, though. None of them expected something like this to occur. Worry and confusion take hold. A sharp headache follows soon after. It's similar to the one I experienced when I first met Yu in person.

Wait- That's right. Our meeting in front of Shigetsugu's house wasn't our first. My memory is still fuzzy, but my psyche is sending me warning signals. Either way, all I can do is head toward the source of the noise. I dash through the crowd, who have already begun to settle back down. It isn't until I am on my way to another floor that an evacuation order gets issued.

…...

Naomi finds herself in pursuit of a young boy. She doesn't know his name, but the look in his eyes was familiar.

While the class leader has to make sure everything runs smoothly, she decides to go with some friends to stock up and ensure they don't miss anything, as well as to take charge in the off chance that what they need is sold out. As expected, they couldn't find the exact same things they needed, but she was able to pick out suitable replacements. Fortunately, she expected that things might become hectic on their first day. She did everything she could to make sure things would go well, but it's rare for that to happen when doing such things for the first time. Curious about how things are going, they make their way back to school.

Everything is fine until Naomi notices a boy with white hair among the students. And he's wearing the Amecha uniform. The most striking thing about him is that he would be easy to mistake for a regular student thanks to his gender-neutral appearance. However, Naomi is aware of his true nature. He is a participant in Divine Selection. He could very well be Rinka's enemy.

…...

He looks all around as he explores the school. Naomi can only surmise that he is searching for someone. Most likely Rinka. At first, she considers getting in touch with Rinka, who's probably still at school, but her phone's battery has died. Out of all the things to forget, it had to be charging her phone.

…...

Naomi has already convinced herself to take charge of the situation. She makes up an excuse for her friends and then begins to tail him.

Something's different...

He resembles a predator searching for its prey. This isn't the same person she saw at the station the other day. Her gut is telling her that he's planning something here. Her heart races. Every thump is palpable. Just then, a sharp headache overtakes her. Her mind flashes back to the dreams she had of Rinka's death- dreams she had told Rinka about. Those were memories of an event that had been undone. There are still too many question marks surrounding it, though. Why it happened, how it happened, and the perpetrator behind it.

The perpetrator...?

Her memories begin to catch up with her as she tails the boy. Why is there suddenly a perpetrator involved? The answer is simple. She recognizes the look in that boy's eyes.

This isn't just about Rinka anymore... I'm as involved with him as she is...!

The worse her headache gets, the more she comes to realize that her dreams are, in fact, reality.

…...

He makes his way to a less crowded area, despite seeming to be in search of someone. It makes tailing him much more difficult. But Naomi refuses to back down.

…...

Eventually, he makes his way into a certain classroom.

One not being used by any class for the culture festival. It's serving as the storage area for unused chairs and desks. Naomi is able to find an appropriate hiding spot thanks to that. However, her hopes of remaining hidden are quickly shattered.

There's no need to keep hiding.

Waugh!

She can't stifle her surprise at being called out to.

BGM: WARNING
Her exclamation may be silly, but she is aware that this is no time to be embarrassed over such a minor thing. While she is unsure what to say, he opts to carry the conversation forward.

I know that you're dear to Numeral I. She died after protecting you from the blast on that train, after all.

Those dreams are real, then...?!

A chill runs straight down her spine. Her every nerve fires signals of fear upon confirmation that her dreams are reality.

I bear no ill will toward you, but regardless, I need you to become a sacrifice. It's her duty alone to kill me.

What in the world are you talking about...?

She spared my life before, and as a result, awakened my true self. I only know one way to live. That's why I need to be erased, no matter the cost.

A light flashes through the room before Naomi can process what the boy means. A massive roar thunders alongside the light.

*BOOM!*

The windows in the classroom crack under the atmospheric pressure of the blast. And Naomi is blown away without even a moment to scream. Once again, she has come face-to-face with a bomb. It is in this moment that she remembers her fate is inherently connected with the others.

BGM: Fall Into...

It... hurts...

I knew you were tailing me all along, but it worked out in my favor. I planned on bringing you to this room in the first place. I planted a number of bombs at the desks here. All of this, just to kill you.

Why... would you...?

Being in such close contact with the explosion has marred her entire body with third-degree burns, and worse. She has gotten pierced by several pieces of shrapnel that formed from the blast. The raw force of the blast has crushed her ribs. Her breathing is ragged, weak, and ready to fade at any moment.

It's ironic how things work for us participants. The explosion should have affected me just as badly, but all I get is this scratch on my cheek. The wind also happened to blow in my favor, while the desks simply happened to shield me. As for you... try not to talk anymore.

Fragments of objects caught in the blast are smoldering in every corner of the room. The cracked windows eventually give in and collapse, allowing a large supply of oxygen to flow in. In response, even the tiniest of flames spark up. Naomi can only lay there as the heat washes over her in waves. All this while her senses slowly... steadily... fade.

This should serve as more than enough to have her realize what's at stake.

Why...?

You're still able to talk? I'm surprised you'd even bother in your condition.

His frigid response is enough to douse the strongest of flames.

I told you already. I need to be erased, no matter the cost. But at the same time, I want to believe there's meaning behind my death. I'm positive that her being the one to do me in would supply such a meaning.

She lacks the will right now, though. That's why I'm going to give it to her.

Why...?

So persistent... You're about to die, but still... I'd rather not reveal too much. Don't worry. I'll make it quick.

The boy approaches and clasps his hands around Naomi's thin neck. Not an ounce of hesitation or worry is in his voice. And yet...

Why do you look... so... sad...?

Even on the brink of death, she can notice the grief lurking behind the fierce look in his eyes.

Shut up.

He crushes her throat before breaking her neck. The sound of her bones breaking gets muted by the wood crackling in the flames.

Hmm...?

He notices footsteps outside the classroom. His eyes focus on the door.

Naomi!

Good timing.

Even Rinka's cries are overwhelmed by the roaring fire.

…...

The fire alarm rings through the PA system, warning both students and visitors of the situation at hand. It isn't necessary for me to understand what is going on, though. I'm bearing witness to the sea of fire that caused it to go off. Inside the room are two figures cloaked within the flames.

Ahhhh....

I can't process the situation immediately.

Ahhh... Ahhhhh... Naomi...

The smoke bellowing from the room burns my throat as I struggle to speak.

Naomi... No....

I may have been better off not knowing what happened.

Naomi...!

Her body is lifeless, like a puppet without its support. And her body is being held by a boy. Yu. He steps away from her and her body collapses to the floor. I dash toward her in an attempt to catch her. I have no chance to reach her in time, though. Just as her body touches the floor, the flames swarm all over her uniform. I press on, though. Nothing will stop me from getting to her.

Or so I think. Before I know it, I've fallen on my behind. It was Yu's doing. He approached and knocked me down without me noticing.

Did you.. Did you do this?!

I've been instructed to become a hero, ever since I can remember. The entire concept of becoming a hero is a cheap way for others to make you do their bidding. I knew that, yet I did nothing. It was all I knew.

I had no parents, no friends, and certainly no allies. The only thing my past self had were missions to accomplish. Everything about my life was meaningless. I simply carried out every mission assigned to me in order to live on.

I don't care! What have you done to Naomi?!

Your death was one such consequence. The only difference that time around was that I died along with you. I was meant to go out like a hero. The very image of a hero I recognized as worthless. Something in me changed, though.

I need to call an ambulance... Hang in there, Naomi...!

I learned what it meant to lead a worthwhile life. But now that my memories have returned, I have no right to desire such a thing. In its place, the very least I can wish for is a meaningful death. To go out as a person, not a hero.

I'm no hero, nor am I someone's puppet. I'm a human being, like everyone else. Kill me. Settle the score with your own fate.

Shut the hell up!

Nothing he's saying registers. Naomi is the only thing I'm concerned with. Not even the flames can distract me from that. Beating back the heat, I rise to my feet. I reach my hand through the smoke out toward her.

Fine. Do what you want. We can't die from this, anyway. Let me make one thing clear, though.

Give her back...

I have no intention of letting myself get killed so simply.

Give Naomi back...!!!

Yu is no longer in my line of sight. I don't care about that, though. There's only one thing on my mind. One thing I understand the moment I make contact with her lifeless body.

It is too late to save her.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Well that escalated extremely quickly.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Well, that's certainly one way to force your selection.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Right because if Yu dies then Naomi will be returned.

But Rinka doesn't even know his regret, right?

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Feliday Melody posted:

Right because if Yu dies then Naomi will be returned.

But Rinka doesn't even know his regret, right?

Ah poo poo, I forgot that clause. Hell yeah. It'd be pretty stupid of him not to reveal it to her now if his goal is to get eliminated, so hopefully that'll be the next update. Plus, maybe some insight into Rinka's cause of death?

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

06/09 (SAT), Midnight
Good evening, young lady. A harrowing experience befell you, I see. Alas, such is fate.

Stop.

Amidst those flames, you finally remembered the events that transpired, yes? You can no longer avert your eyes from the truth.

I don't want to know.

Heh. Perhaps I'm best off keeping this brief. In that case, let's proceed.

It's time for you to face your own fate.

…...

I noticed the bomb inside the bag. The specifics are beyond me, but it comprised of a tube and a bag. The events come back to me in slow motion. Sparks fly from it, causing the liquid inside the bag to spark. An explosion follows, swallowing the train in flames. I remember exactly who was responsible.

I'm going to become a hero.

This was before I had my card book, so I shouldn't have understood what he was saying. But I understand now, though I'm not sure why. The explosion sent him flying first. The salarymen beside him followed almost immediately. The train was full due to everyone making their way home from work, so this was likely the ideal time to cause the most damage. The smell of burnt fat ran through the train.

Naomi!

My first instinct was to shield Naomi. I felt a tremendous impact on my back, which sent both me and Naomi flying. The train had stopped by this point, but panic had spread among those not taken out by the blast. Meanwhile, my body had been devastated. I couldn't tell what state I was in. All I knew was that I wouldn't make it. As such, the only thing on my mind was Naomi. If I wasn't going to make it, then I'd do all I could to make sure Naomi did.

She had hit her head after the blast, however, rendering her unconscious.

BGM: Sinking in Flames
Ugh...

I couldn't say for sure whether or not this was a mere coincidence. The boy responsible for all this landed right in front of me after the blast. The flames continued to consume both of our bodies.

Now I'll finally... be a... hero...

Don't... kid yourself...

I'm not sure if we actually exchanged words then. It may just be something I made up as a coping mechanism.

You won't... become... a hero... You're not... even human... You're just... a puppet...

The boy used his remaining strength to extend his hands to my throat. And he crushed it. At that moment, the flames lit up again, blowing him out of the train.

Rinka! Rinka!

Naomi's screams called out to me while I was on the brink of death. As the fierce flames in the train grew fiercer, the fire in my soul flickered and faded.

Those were the memories I had forgotten. The truth locked away within my subconscious. It's no wonder my cause of death never materialized when I thought I simply got caught in a fire. The fire wasn't what killed me. It was suffocation after having my throat crushed.

…...

06/10 (SUN), Morning
I hear the sound of rain outside as I wake up. Looking out the window, I notice how dark it is, despite the time. Small droplets of rain pour endlessly from the sky. It's the beginning of the rainy season. Lethe, who dislikes the rain, is curled up in a corner of the room.

BGM: Rain
I struggle to remember exactly what happened between now and yesterday. Apparently, Miharu rescued me from the flames after I fell unconscious. How I got home is a mystery, but it looks like I didn't bother to change or even crawl into bed. When I woke up, I was on the floor.

Yesterday's events were no dream, either. Checking on my phone, it made the news. Though without much prominent coverage. It doesn't seem like it's being reported as a terrorist attack. I'm not sure why. Possibly because they haven't finished their inspection yet. How they're reporting it isn't of any interest to me, though. I already know the most important consequence of it. The fire was put out before it could cause any serious damage. I made it out with only some minor burns, but there was one casualty in the end.

One person incredibly dear to me.

Naomi.

Out of all the people there, only one lost their life.

And out of all the people there, it had to be Naomi.

The more I repeat that to myself, the more I try to pretend it never happened. Why? Why her? What did she do to deserve it? That's all I can think.

It's my fault.

Naomi died because of me. Because I got her involved.

I'm to blame...

I'm to blame for her death. This wouldn't have happened if I pushed her away. This wouldn't have happened if I had never asked her to shoulder the burden with me. If I weren't so weak, then... None of that is relevant anymore, though. They're nothing but what-ifs. What I'm facing right now is reality. What I'm facing right now... is my own fate.

My body gradually loses strength. Today, I put up a sign regarding Lion House's indefinite closure. A first since the day it opened.

…...

06/10 (SUN), Midnight
Good evening, my lovely little slaves to fate.

Just hearing Parca's voice annoys me. Having been forcefully brought to the Court of Fate, all I care to do is stare at my own feet. My mind is elsewhere.

Something doesn't seem right...

Your face ain't right. Think that's it?

Hmph.

Don't shrug me off, rear end in a top hat!

You're in quite the high spirits, aren't you? Will you be surprising me tonight, perhaps?

He's bluffing.

Oh, boy. Gonna need you two to quit acting like you own the joint. Mind letting me in on the fun now?
Numeral IX's VA is Takeda Naoto; he voiced the character Ryota Kawamura in Yakuza Kiwami 2, as well as doing minor voice acting for some of the other Yakuza series, Judgement, and Lost Judgement. He has also done voice work for Taiko no Tatsujin, as well as some minor roles in a handful of other VNs like Kane no Tame ni Kane wa Naru, How to Fool a Liar King, and How to Sing to Open Your Heart.

Mmm...

Old XII over there's right, though. In my line of work, you can tell when people are fibbing.

So you're a detective of sorts, then?

Hahaha! Sorry, bud. Gotta keep a few secrets around these parts. Would hate to make things harder on myself.

Christ, what is it with you all and running your mouths? Let's just get started. I'm getting bored of how dumb you all sound.

Quite the mouth, mademoiselle.

Should I say merci beaucoup, or will a plain ol' thanks do the trick?

Whichever you prefer.

Heh, talk about shrewd. Not bad.

Shut up.

Just shut up already.

I don't give a crap about any of this.

Are you...?

Not even Miharu's voice can make me care. Nothing she says reaches me.

As much as I enjoy the banter, I'd rather not have this drag on all night. Let us begin, shall we? Allow me to begin tonight's election.

Revolve, O' Clock of Fate!

The clock begins its usual procedure, confirming each participant's intention for the night. I ignore it completely.

Goodness gracious...

The clock finishes its revolution.

Six elections in and we finally have a night with zero eliminations. Should I take this as a sign that you're all faring well?

Haha, maybe so!

Tonight's session resulted in no eliminations. I bid you all farewell for now.

Divine Selection continues, regardless of my emotionless state. I'm dragged back to reality from the dream world, in spite of my desire to never wake up.

[END OF WEEK SIX: EMPTINESS IN MOTION]

-----

Cardbook has updated.

I – Cause of Death – Death by Asphyxiation
IV – Name – Yu
IX – Regret – Gold Medal

X – Cause of Death – Death from Sickness

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

It does feel a little weird that we haven't seen the other participants much til now, although I suppose the Terrible Twosome have been hogging the spotlight and not letting the others talk. New guy is...a detective? Possibly on Yu's tail? Interesting.

Finally a cause of death for Rinka! :toot: Hopefully this will give her the motivation to survive beyond passively not wanting to die.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

I absolutely understand them not dropping 12 characters on the reader at once. It would probably be really confusing.

This shot is disturbingly horny, and I don't know why they went with that.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Feliday Melody posted:

This shot is disturbingly horny, and I don't know why they went with that.

There is a reason I only used it once in the update even though every single time she had dialogue it switched back over to it. :sigh: (well, you know, that and I think we got the point when we first saw it)

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

And I appreciate it.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

content warning: suicidal ideation

06/11 (MON), Morning
It's Monday, apparently. And it looks like it's raining.

School... Who cares. Not like I have to go. We've got the day off. As if I care about that.

I see Naomi's smile in my mind's eye. Memories of the coffee we made together here come back to me. As does the sweet taste of the cookies she would bring. I ruined all of that. Smothering myself with my blanket is my way of escaping reality.

I hear someone ringing the door buzzer, but I ignore it. The same goes for my phone. Any movement at all requires more effort than I want to give. I don't care about anything anymore. Divine Selection might as well be over for me. I'll just wait for someone to eliminate me, whether it be this week or next. Miharu won't do it even if I ask her, though. But maybe Alan would...

Riiiiinnyyyyyy!

A familiar voice rises above the sounds of pouring rain. They must be shouting pretty loudly for me to hear them up here. But I don't care...

I close my heart off once more.

You can't just shut yourself in... You gotta say a proper goodbye to her...

I somehow drag myself over to and open the window. A choice that keeps me from attaining true scum status.

…...

BGM: Despair

06/11 (MON), Noon
After I manage that, I force myself to the town's ceremony hall. I'm not quite sure how to approach Naomi's family, but I do manage to at least give them my condolences. Now that I'm here, I realize there's a part of me that can act somewhat naturally, despite everything.

Sniff...

It's probable that I wouldn't have bothered to attend Naomi's funeral if it wasn't for Mao. This is a place to say our farewells. Tears are shed by many. Myself included. It's an... odd experience. I almost feel like there are two sides to me. One side is distraught, and the other feels nothing at all.

The sobs that fill the venue drown out the sound of rain falling. A lot of Amecha students are here. Naomi's classmates, I'd wager. The role she took on for the culture festival must have played a big part, since she enrolled a mere two months ago. In that time, she touched everyone with her sincerity. And yet, at that very same culture festival is where she lost her life.

I'm not even sure if I have the right to cry. She never would have died had I not gotten involved in Divine Selection. She never would have died had I not brought her to Lion House to help her with the culture festival. She never would have died had I not spoken to her that day at the library.

She wouldn't have died.

She wouldn't have died.

She wouldn't have died...

I should've been the one to die.

I'll never be able to get over this regret. I have nowhere to vent my despair. Sad doesn't begin to describe the situation. Not when someone like her dies so young. There's no doubt that everyone here wishes this were all a bad dream. I'm sure none of us have come to terms with reality- that Naomi is no longer a part of our lives. Even I haven't accepted it, despite being a witness to the event itself.

Why did things turn out this way? If this is all due to fate, then there is nothing I despise more.

Naomi... Naomi...

Before I realize it, my two disparate sides merge back into one. I'm unable to hold back any longer- I weep openly in public.

Naorin... Sniff... You're not the only one who's sad, Rinka... None of us can believe she's gone... Sob... Waaah...

Naomi... Waahhh...!

Rinka, I...

Naomi's funeral ends in the blink of an eye. Lacking the will to eat, I dive right back into bed when I get home.

…...

06/12 (TUE), Morning
I'm not sure when I fell asleep or what time I woke up. A distinct emptiness assaults me as soon as I do wake up, though. I dreamt of all the times I spent with Naomi. None of that means anything now. They're just past events. In this moment, I truly understand how it feels to have regrets that are lodged in the past.

Things are moving along at the school. They're finally going to carry out investigations under the assumption that it was a terrorist attack. As such, it'll be closed for another week. That's perfect for me, considering it takes all my energy just to get out of bed. Under normal circumstances, I would've relied on my gran here, but it just so happens that the person she's taking care of collapsed on Saturday night. She's busy helping them.

I need to deal with this on my own...

Another day passes by. Another day of me doing absolutely nothing.

…...

06/12 (TUE), Noon
Mishima Miharu's course of action in the face of recent events is a stark contrast to that of Shishimai Rinka's. The despair displayed on Rinka's part has only served to fuel Miharu's determination. She may have found Naomi unpleasant, but at no point did she wish for things to play out as they did.

I'll do everything I can for her.

While the high school portion of Amecha may be closed, the middle school and university campuses are operating like normal. This allows Miharu to make use of the library. Right now, her priority is to put everything into perspective. In this regard, Numeral IV is of the utmost priority. Miharu is aware of his real name- Yu. She overheard Rinka muttering it to herself before. She is also aware that he is the one responsible for Naomi's death, having planted bombs in that classroom. For whatever reason, he seems desperate for Rinka to kill him, too.

I'm honestly not too sure about what's going on... I may not have been close with her, but Naomi's death is taking its toll on me, as well.

Today is the first day she truly begins to take Divine Selection seriously.

As much as it pains me to admit, I'm incapable of bringing Rinka's smile back on my own.

Miharu has no grasp whatsoever on Yu's background. Even so, she makes the decision to perform as much research as possible. Her claim that she would give her life for Rinka is no lie. She has no intention of it ever becoming a lie. If she has ever been sure about anything in her life, it is that. Should her actions fail to protect Rinka's smile, there is no point in taking them.

Heh... I suppose I have you to thank for allowing me to realize something important, Naomi.

Miharu has very few cards pertaining to participants other than Rinka in her possession. While she may possess a keen intellect, she is but a mere high school student. Without a reliable source, all she can do is rely on newspapers, books, and the Internet.

Numeral IV- Name. Yu.

Numeral IX – Cause of Death. This is the man who spoke for the first time during the sixth election.

Numeral XII – Name. Alan.

And finally, Numeral XII- Cause of Death.

This is all the information she has pertaining to participants other than Rinka and herself. While she does have an idea regarding Numeral XI's regret, she has been unable to obtain a card out of it thus far. Of the remaining participants, Alan seems the ideal target, considering he's already eliminated three others. The only issue is that his regret remains a mystery to her, plus the fact that she's yet to meet him face to face.

That said, researching him is easier than the others, comparatively, due to his celebrity status. He's been featured in several magazine interviews and TV shows. Apparently he's from an area in southern India where English is the primary language. In that case, all she has to do is look up and translate any words or phrases she doesn't understand.

I'm curious about Yu, but there are too many unknown factors surrounding him right now.

Having found her priorities, Miharu begins her research. Determined as she may be, she cannot afford to lose sight of the bigger picture. And thus begins Miharu's quest for information.

…...

06/12 (TUE), Evening
On her way off campus, Miharu notices the silhouette of an unfamiliar man. She errs on the side of caution and takes a different route in order to keep her distance from him.

Hey there, how ya doin'?

He opts to call out to her anyway. Miharu doesn't respond. Instead, she allows him to approach while staying on guard. As she does, she finally recognizes him.

It's Numeral IX.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Mix. posted:

I hear someone ringing the door buzzer, but I ignore it. The same goes for my phone. Any movement at all requires more effort than I want to give. I don't care about anything anymore. Divine Selection might as well be over for me. I'll just wait for someone to eliminate me, whether it be this week or next. Miharu won't do it even if I ask her, though. But maybe Alan would...

This is all too familiar. From a long time past.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

I don't know if Miharu is kept intentionally creepy about her feelings over Rinka. Whatever their relationship is. It was never built up properly before the game starts. And Rinka doesn't seem to put any energy at all into caring for how Miharu might be feeling. She just does her own thing.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Well, you sure don't look scared. Or maybe you're just tryin' to impress me with a stoic act?

I'll leave it to your imagination. As far as I'm aware, you shouldn't be able to find me by using my name.

Hebinata Miharu doesn't exist, technically. You may be able to link the name to Mishima Miharu when looking through Amecha's records, but that is no simple task. In that case, he may have been waiting for Rinka. It's possible he received her name card during the initial distribution. Miharu quickly realizes that isn't the case, though. It was Numeral VIII who received that card, and she has already been eliminated. She was eliminated by Alan, so Numeral IX being in possession of the card would make little sense. This leads Miharu to another conclusion.

You wouldn't happen to have my regret card, would you?

Hahaha. Sharp, aren't ya? Though that probably works against you more than you'd like. Gotta admit, your regret sure took me by surprise. But thanks to that, I managed to find this place.

Although it seems like you've parted ways with that Rinka girl. I could tell you two were acquainted back when Divine Selection first kicked off. That's why I made sure to look up all the students here. I didn't find anyone named Hebinata Miharu, but I did find a Miharu. Making the link while knowing what you look like was pretty easy.

I certainly hope you're not here expecting me to give you information pertaining to Rinka. We may no longer be friends, but I have every intention of keeping such things to myself.

Don't worry. I know. You'd be at risk if I eliminated her.

Miharu's involuntary reflex is to shoot him a glare. How could she not, after someone dares to bring up the idea of eliminating Rinka? He doesn't quite interpret it that way, though.

Hey, now. Don't get the wrong idea. I got no intention of eliminating you for the time being. I'm here to negotiate. You managed to get the upper hand against Numeral XI before, yeah? That's what led me here. Haha, I trust you know what I'm getting at?

Are you genuinely suggesting that we cooperate? Why now, of all times?

I've been keeping a watchful eye on the situation so far, but it's mainly 'cuz I figured the numbers would dwindle even if I kept out of it.

His approach sounds similar to Miharu's. He may actually be cunning, despite his attitude.

I made it a point to wait until we made it through a week without anyone being elected. Once that happened, I figured, it'd be time to act. I expected it to happen around three elections in, but nope. Hahaha... Divine Selection's been way more intense than anticipated.

Well, you talk some sense, at least. Unfortunately, I can't agree to work with you just yet.

You hoping for some of my info or something?

You do know far more about me than I do about you. Which is to say, absolutely nothing. Expecting me to cooperate with you under such circumstances is pushing it, no?

Miharu decides to lie through her teeth. In reality, she already knows his cause of death. Telling him she knows nothing seems like the best way to make things proceed smoothly.

Ain't it enough that I admitted to having info on you?

It almost feels like you're threatening that you could eliminate me with ease if you looked into my cause of death.

Oops. Not what I was going for, trust me. Though... Hmm... I can't just give away my own info, either.

Think I could convince you by telling you what I think of this whole charade instead?

I won't make any promises, but feel free.

Noticing her taking a step closer toward him, Numeral IX continues.

BGM: He Reveals me the Answer

My honest opinion is that everything about Divine Selection is wrong. You know how many participants there are who have no qualms with sacrificing others for their own means, don't you? They take advantage of the fact that everything will be undone once they eliminate someone by harming non-participants or using them as hostages.

Such actions are, without a doubt, evil. What happened on Saturday proves it.

So you're aware of what happened...

Isn't it weird not to question why people like that get to take part in the first place? There's even talk about Numeral IV being linked to the terrorist group NULL. I'm not sure why they'd target this place, but they're the kind of folks who aim for crowded places like concert venues. They're satisfied just knowing there'll be plenty of victims.

As far as I'm concerned, it's entirely possible they wanted to make a statement to you two by going after your school. It could be their way of saying they'll keep this up as long as you two don't surrender. Numeral IV's creepy silence in the dream world doesn't help things.

Miharu's eyes widen when she hears that. She never expected to walk away from this with clues leading to Numeral IV's identity. NULL is a terrorist group that operates on a global scale. So little is known about them that it's common for smaller, unrelated groups to use their name for recognition.

The bright side is that there was only one casualty, but the number of victims isn't important here. Oops, I got a bit off track. You know where I'm going with this, don't you?

He continues to speak; his tone, serious.

The only people who deserve to make it through this are those on the side of justice. I can't say whether that's myself, you, or your old buddy Rinka. But based on everyone's actions so far, I can't think of anyone else.

I have every intention of letting you win should I come to the conclusion that you deserve to live.

Not only is he making sense, but he doesn't seem tricky to deal with. Of course, she isn't foolish enough to believe that everything he says is the truth. The fact remains that Numerals III, IV, XI, and XII are all formidable foes. He may serve as a means toward their elimination. It bears mentioning that his beliefs on this whole matter mean nothing to her. Especially when Rinka was among the three names he just brought up. What's most important to her right now is the possibility of obtaining more information on Numeral IV through him.

So how about it? Fancy joining up with me?

I'd be lying if I said I trust you completely, but doing so doesn't seem like a bad deal for me.

With a quick huff, she continues her act. Ideally, she will get as much information on Numeral IV as she can right away, but that's unlikely.

Fine, I'll cooperate. Just keep in mind I have every intention of breaking ties with you when I deem it appropriate.

Got it. I'll do what I can to prove I'm trustworthy, but I'm fine with that compromise.

Let's get straight to business, then. I've actually got another accomplice, so... follow me.

His statement leaves Miharu curious. Is it someone unrelated to Divine Selection? While it's dangerous for her to follow him when knowing so little about him, she risks losing his trust should she refuse. He may be one to keep an eye on, but he's also not likely to betray her so fast. With that in mind, she makes sure her phone has plenty of battery remaining before following him.

…...

BGM: Chilling With Sidekicks

06/12 (TUE), Night
Eventually, they reach a bar in Shinjuku's Kabuki-cho district named MILK CROWN. It's not the sort of place one should enter in a school uniform, but Miharu seems unfazed. Likely thanks to her job working at a maid cafe. Miharu figures he will not betray her right away. But she quickly realizes how wrong that assumption is.

Didn't you say you were gonna bring another accomplice? The hell's with her, then?

-----

Cardbook has updated.

IX – Regret – Gold Medal

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Wow, what a well timed cliffhanger.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

H-Hold on! I know that face...

Why are you here...?

They are the only customers in the small bar. Both are already drinking something. One drink is the color of oak and the other is pink. Miharu is used to serving alcohol at her job, so she can tell that one is whiskey and the other is some sort of cocktail. Granted, their drinks are inconsequential to the situation at hand. Both parties expected Numeral IX's accomplice to be someone unrelated to Divine Selection, it seems.

I'll explain later.

He whispers to Miharu, although she has already gotten a general grasp of the situation.

Wanna explain yourself, Steel?! You know full well that Hebinata Miharu's our enemy!

Shut it, Federico. How come you always get so worked up?

Dammit, Odette! Don't call me by my real name when we're using a fake one for Steel!

My apologies, Monsieur Carminati.

You're gonna pay for that...

Sorry about the racket, young lady. I'm Odette Malencon. Gotta admit, I wasn't expecting to meet you here. Us two were minding our own business when this guy came up to us and asked to cooperate.

What do you two think you're doing?

You ain't got no right to say that!

Your name's Miharu, right? You sure took me by surprise way back when.

I'm not quite sure how to respond to that, Madam Malencon.

Heh. Looks like this situation's taken you by surprise, at least. Good enough for me.

Let's call it even with that, so have a seat. How's about we talk things out over a drink? My treat. And just call me Odette.

I'm still a minor, so I'll pass on anything with alcohol. May I have some milk instead?

drat, the high school kids in this country are so uptight. Whatever.

Miharu makes her way toward the bar, her heart thumping faster and faster. She may be calm and composed more often then not, but a situation like this does not allow for that. Try as she might to find the right way to act, the answer continues to elude her. The information she has committed to memory regarding Odette is of no help, either. She is impossible to read face to face. Steel does not control the situation. She does.

Anyway, now we know you're not some broad who looks like Miharu. It was faint, but I noticed a light shining in your bag. You should have both our name cards now.

Is that what the whole charade was for?

No way. Ain't that right, Steel?

Putting me in a tricky spot, aren't you? Haha...

You're the one who brought up cooperation knowing that only one of us will survive this. I'm sure you understand just how critical trust is here. We gave you our names, which just so happen to be vital to one's success. I assume you know where I'm going with this...? Here's your milk.

Odette's approach does not feel like she is pressuring anyone. She simply asks in a calm and even tone, all while swirling her glass of whiskey. Miharu takes this as an opportunity to judge her character. She figures that Odette is not all brawn and no brains, based on what she heard from Sonya, but she never expected her to be this hearty and talkative. Once Odette hands off the milk, Miharu drips in some syrup and takes a sip.

If it's my name you want, it's my name you'll get.

That makes life easier. You'd have been our next target if you hesitated now.

Christ, how selfish can you get? What would you have done if either of them already had our info?

Easy. We'd have uncovered their info before the next election. Anyway, time to spill the beans.

Numeral IX takes a deep breath before opening his mouth.

Name's Scale Jones. Can't tell you my occupation, but my blood type's O. That good enough for you?

Heh. That'll do.

Miharu's card book shines the moment he reveals his name. It serves as proof that he's telling the truth. Odette downs the rest of her whiskey before demanding another glass. Miharu may not have had any alcohol before, but she is aware that whiskey is at least 40% proof. The smell alone is enough to put off most people her age, but seeing Odette gulp it down without issue gives her a genuine shock.

BGM: A Time of Healing

Yo, Federico. Japan's whiskey ain't bad! Want some?

Nah, I'm good. Sometimes I just wanna enjoy a nice and sweet cocktail. Well, mainly because they don't got no good wine here.

Maybe I should get something, too... Something strong.

There's a pang of anxiety in Scale's voice as he orders a drink that Miharu is unfamiliar with. A wave of relief washes over him as he takes a swig. Seeing that, Miharu comes to understand what people mean when they say they need a drink to get by. No normal person could keep up with someone like Odette. Federico seems to be hiding in her shadow, but he's not normal either, based on how composed he is despite being around her. Miharu keeps her mind occupied in this manner as a means to keep her wits about her.

I dunno how he managed to drag you all this way, but I assume you get the gist of things based on the people gathered here.

That guy's using this as a way to see who's worth teaming up with. Talk about twisted.

Thank you for the warning, but there's no need to worry. I'm aware of his tactics. You didn't gather us here to eliminate Numeral IV. So I assume our target is none other than Alan Scorpion. Correct?

Hahaha! Spectacular!

He seems to be enjoying himself more than he was a few moments ago. Miharu cannot help but wonder if the alcohol has started to do its job already.

…...

Me and Odette were staying at a hotel in Japan when the sixth election took place.

That's the first time we came out of an election without any eliminations.

Heh, talk about unusual. Guess we couldn't do much about it, considering the circumstances.

I'd made a decent recovery since that kid did a number on me. I wasn't completely better yet, though. Making a recovery, to me, just meant that I could move around again.

So what happened to the kid's card at the end there?

Uh, like I said, it disappeared. Dunno how when it was one of my starting cards, but it did. Chances are it happened during the fifth election, just before the old man got eliminated. The same thing seems to have happened to Alan as well, although it was after he eliminated him.

Alan Scorpion. It wasn't hard for us to find out his name because he's a world-famous jeweler. But that's literally all we could find out. Neither of us started out with any of his cards, either. The current discussion was about how one of Odette's cards disappeared, which tied to him. After he eliminated old man Shigetsugu, he obtained Numeral IV's regret card. And yet, that card shattered the moment he reached out to grab it.

My card disappeared the exact same way his did. I dunno how many other people had Numeral IV's cards, but odds are all but the cause of death card have disappeared. Only thing I can think of is that the contents changed. I get how a name can change, but the regret? That's got me puzzled.

Especially when you consider that everyone's personal perception plays a big part in the rules for Divine Selection.

Curious about the whole 'No Name' thing before that, too. Did they just not have a name?

That one's simple. They either never had the chance to be named by their parents, or they ditched their past and old name. The former's pretty common for war orphans.

Ditched their past... Some people would adopt new names after doing such a thing in my line of business, too. Wait! That explains things!

I came up with a possible answer all on my own. Numeral IV was probably given a name during Divine Selection- one that they considered to be their true name. Odette usually reached conclusions based on situational evidence, but it looked like I was picking up that habit, as well. Couldn't say I was too big on it, but judging by her expression, we were thinking the same thing.

Seems like a school here was the target of a terrorist attack recently. When you think about it, plenty of terrorists work alone. Add in the fact that kids are harder to detect, especially here in Japan, and...

It ain't no coincidence, huh...

We might be at some kind of deadlock for the moment, but we could still make some sort of progress. Even if we didn't do anything crazy, someone else was more than willing to step up. As if to prove that, the very same day we got an unexpected visitor: Numeral IX- some suspicious American calling himself Steel.

…...

Alan Scorpion's elimination... Miharu brings up the topic as frankly as possible.

Wouldn't you assume Numeral IV to be our first target based on recent events?

Perhaps. His actions serve as a means to provoke us, so it's hard not to take notice. But you all made it clear that you have no intention of letting him provoke you.

You're a bit too sharp for my tastes. Never was one for dating girls as smart as you. But, hey... I wouldn't complain about a night or two.

How about you quit talking crap and learn a thing or two from her?

Moving on... So far, Alan has instigated the most elections out of all of us. Chances are he has the most cards, too. That's why it's ideal for all of us to team up and deal with him. Am I right, Scale?

It's common knowledge that he was able to turn his jewelry business into a worldwide operation all on his own.

His actions early on during Divine Selection, coupled with his celebrity status, have led to Japan's police force keeping their eyes on him. Trespassing, obstruction of business, that sort of stuff. He's a real criminal to them. But here's the thing. He's got connections with both the Indian and Japanese governments through his business.

His influence isn't big enough for them to outright ignore him, but they're making sure the police have their hands tied.

BGM: Villain
That ain't all. His information network's probably the trickiest part about him.

Pretty much. If he knows your name, then you might as well give in to the fact that he probably knows your entire background as well. You're lucky that I'm the one who scouted you all out. Might wanna act a bit more careful from here on.

Yeah, yeah. As if you don't got any good sources of your own.

I'd prefer if you didn't compare me to someone with a conglomerate behind him, thank you very much.

Heh. I like that you ain't denying it. Well, whatever. If we're gonna cooperate, then knowing each other's names is the bare minimum condition for me. I'm sure you're aware of what'll happen if you try to pull anything funny, too.

Scale grimaces over that proclamation before taking another sip of his drink. He must not have appreciated the open threat. After he gulps his drink, he shifts the topic.

Now then, chances are Alan will end up coming out of this whole thing as the winner if we let him keep at it. That's what I think, at least. There's no justice in someone like him winning. As I said, he's nothing but a criminal now. Let's not even get into the things he's probably done to get where he is now. He's a villain, no doubt about it!

Heh. He's rather into this, isn't he?

Miharu whispers to herself quietly so Scale does not hear her. He doesn't seem to be lying about his belief that participants either do or don't deserve to make it through Divine Selection. The irony is that he's willing to team up with people like Odette and Federico. Miharu is unsure how things will play out down the line, but right now she can at least keep a watchful eye on him.

We can't let someone like Alan run wild, especially after what Numeral IV pulled. Alan's likely to target him now. Should he succeed, he'll have yet another card at his disposal. Letting him gain even more of an advantage only spells disaster for us. That's why we need to work together to eliminate him now!

So you say, but you're struggling to get any meaningful information on him, aren't you?

That's part of it, yeah. Few people know what he was up to when we all kicked the bucket, and he's made sure that those who would have kept quiet about it. I can't do this on my own. That's why I approached you.

Heh... Must suck to have Federico call you out on something. You sure you wanna partner up with us after all that talk about justice and such? Your card book didn't react when we told you our names, so you must've gotten a hold of them at some point. Probably around the time you came to our hotel.

I can only assume you know everything about our backgrounds and how, well... villainous we are.

Crap! Seriously?!

Like I said, we're only cooperating in order to eliminate Alan Scorpion and Numeral IV. I've already come to accept that this is a necessary evil. I'll make it perfectly clear: we're not here to make friends. You two are my targets after those other two are gone. I'm sure you were thinking the same about me.

Sounding like a proper villain yourself with that line, bud. Mind if I ask where the young lady falls in regards to all this?

Miharu listens in bewilderment. To her, it sounds like the alcohol has caused them to discuss things completely unrelated to the topic at hand.

I would appreciate if you settled your little squabble over whether or not you'll be cooperating without me, first.

Miharu may have succumbed to Odette's threatening nature at first, but it was only a matter of time before she settled down. Their lighthearted conversation is a likely contribution. She holds nothing but fear for them in the Court of Fate, but here they seem like regular people.

Try not to tease Scale too much, Odette. I'm starting to feel sorry for him.

Oh, you caught on? Is that what they call a woman's intuition? Hmm... You're a bit younger than I imagined, but plenty mature. How about we ditch these losers and go somewhere else?

Miharu takes a step back upon hearing his proposition. Words aren't necessary when her expression shows the answer.

You're a dumbass, you know that? Well, I can't blame you for thinking she's probably got the moves... Anyway, I ain't against partnering up. Just wanted to call you out for contradicting yourself. Hate to admit it, but we're also struggling.

You're a lot more troublesome in person than I imagined, madam. Hahaha. So now we're officially partners until we eliminate Alan. Let's save making a plan of attack for later and seal the deal with another round. You want something yet, Miharu?

I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask that you all swallow something other than alcohol first.

Miharu holds out her empty glass with a bold smile. Odette does not seem too bothered, but both Federico and Scale obviously are. Their expressions are full of worry over what she will say next.

I happen to know Alan's cause of death. It was part of my initial set.

You what...?

For real?!

You may have reliable information networks at your disposal, but it's not enough to counter the advantage I have in already possessing the card itself.

Guess we gotta swallow your conditions first, huh? Fine, go ahead.

Hehe. Indeed. If we're going to cooperate, then I ask that we target Numeral IV first. Scale is already aware of this, but it was Amecha Girls' University High School that he targeted. My school. There was only one casualty as a result, but it just so happened to be an underclassman I knew.

So what, you'll tell us Alan's cause of death if we help you eliminate the kid?

Miharu nods.

drat. Hurts to imagine a cutie like you can have revenge on her mind.

I'm fairly sure she isn't seeking revenge here, Federico. Should a participant be eliminated, their actions since the start of Divine Selection will be undone. That's one of the rules. You're looking to bring your friend back through eliminating him, aren't you?

You're free to interpret my intentions however you wish.

Hahaha! Count me in! There are fewer things more just than wanting to save a friend! Numeral IV's actions undoubtedly make him evil. All we're doing is changing the order in which we do things. The reason why his regret card disappeared remains a mystery, but I get the feeling that the four of us can get past that.

Thoughts, Odette? It'll take a bit longer overall, but we're guaranteed to get our hands on Alan's cause of death while eliminating another participant at the same time.

Did you consider the possibility of us turning you down?

I considered it wasn't likely. Scale's decision to leave Numeral IV for later was likely due to the fact that one of his cards was among those he started with. He wouldn't bring up the topic of his regret card disappearing without a reason, after all. At the same time, you not bringing it up whatsoever is somewhat suspect...

The odds are in Miharu's favor. The rest relies on Odette's reaction. She is not worried about being wrong. If she is, then they will likely assume she is overthinking things.

Heh...

Odette cracks a smile. Miharu's gamble is a success. That is what Odette's expression says to her. Not only did she have either a name or regret card belonging to Yu, but she also witnessed it disappear in response to its change of contents. Miharu notices Scale's expression turn far more serious, too. She nods to herself with confidence, having confirmed that her suspicions were right.

You're right. I had that kid's name card and saw it disappear with my own eyes. By process of elimination, Scale must've had his regret card. You do realize this entire scenario is why we were leaving that kid for last, right? We can't act if there's no solid guarantee things'll work out.

Prioritizing him just ain't gonna happen if you don't have another surprise in store for us. Something like... knowing his cause of death.

True enough, haha! But hey, I agreed to this assuming she knew that much.

Hehehe. But of course. I don't know his cause of death, though. Just his name.

Oh-ho...? Now I'm interested.

So the name card you had didn't disappear?

So that's how it is... You managed to get your hands on the info after the cards vanished, right?

Mind telling us where and how you managed that?

I'm under no obligation to disclose that. However, I will share his name with you all should you agree to target him first. While we only know his name right now, his actions make him easy to trace. I'd say we're in a much better position to gather the rest of his information than Alan is.

Miharu casts an overt glance over to Scale. Scale seems to comprehend the meaning behind it immediately.

Leave that to me. I figured we'd be starting with his cause of death, but this actually makes things easier. Plenty of journalists are looking into that case on their own, so this should serve as a good bargaining chip. You're fine with that, right?

Miharu offers another nod. She is not quite sure just how much she can trust him, but he has already proven his ability to gather information by uncovering Odette and Federico's names.

Sucks that I won't get to stick it to that annoying bastard right away, but it ain't like we've got anything to work with. Let's go with her plan for now.

Count me in, too. Heh... Looks like all your effort was worth it.

Hehe. I'll take that as a compliment.

Thus, Miharu shares Numeral IV's name with the three of them. She also re-evaluates her opinion of them. Scale is undoubtedly hiding something. His true intentions being a mystery leads her to that conclusion. He may be suspicious, but the things he told her when they first met seem to be the truth. Yet, he still chose to team up with Odette and Federico. Federico himself lets Odette do all the work, but he's a sharp one, regardless. He's also the type of person whose actions are hard to predict. Specifically, if he snaps at some point, what he would do is anyone's guess.

As for Odette, she speaks for herself. She saw right through Miharu's nerves during their exchange. As much as she tried to look calm and composed, Odette spoke of her effort involved in doing so. She knew. It's important not to slip up when talking to her, but Miharu now understands that focusing on that too much can be just as dangerous.

Welp, let's drink up, troops!

Are you for real...? Oh well, I'm in.

Following that, Miharu exchanges phone numbers with Scale. While hesitant at first, she ultimately goes through with it after realizing she can cancel her phone contract if necessary. With that done, she leaves the bar before the others begin to celebrate. If one thing surprised her, it was her ability to engage with them at their level. At the same time, it fueled her determination to cooperate with them. It's the only way she can accomplish her goal.

It's the only way she can help Rinka smile again.

-----

Cardbook has updated.

IV – Name – Yu
IX – Name – Scale Jones
XI – Name – Odette Malencon

IV – Name – Yu
VII – Name – Ro Chanho
VII – Cause of Death - Stroke
IX – Name – Scale Jones

IV – Name – Yu
IX – Name – Scale Jones
IX – Regret – Gold Medal

IV – Name – Yu
VII – Name – Ro Chanho
VII – Cause of Death – Stroke
VII – Regret - Dog
IX – Name – Scale Jones

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Scale Jones?

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

This was an interesting update. Miharu holds her nerve well. Honestly I really like Odette; she's a fun rear end in a top hat.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Odette is great, and I like that the devs just went nuts on her design. She stands out a lot compared to the regular anime girls.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

bobson dugnutt is the best drat pitcher the states has seen or will ever see again

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

06/13 (WED), Noon
I spent all of yesterday in my room. There's no food left in the house, so I need to trudge over to the convenience store. And it's raining outside... The rainy season just started, so there will be plenty more in the days to come.

…...

06/13 (WED), Evening
Miharu hasn't spoken to Rinka ever since Naomi's funeral. She recognizes that she lacks the ability to fill the gaping hole left in Rinka's heart. Of course she wants to spend every possible second with her, if at all possible. Simply being there isn't enough for Miharu, though. Her greatest desire involves Rinka's happiness itself. She truly believes that her actions will protect Rinka in her current state. That's why Scale's proposition was such welcome news. All four likely had their own convictions, but that's fine. It doesn't change the fact that she still considers them targets to eliminate.

One day later, Scale makes contact with Miharu. He said he would be spending some time looking into Yu's background, so she started to wonder if he had found something already. It was going a lot faster than anticipated, either way. He denied it in the dream world, but he really might be a detective. Of course, it's equally possible that he failed to find anything of note. In that case, figuring out a quick solution is the best way to go.

Yo.

Good timing. We were waiting for you.

Drinks're on me today.

Everyone is already drinking by the time she arrives. Miharu finds herself questioning why adults find it necessary to drink this much. She gets that these are the kind of people who need a drink to talk things out properly, though. That's why she opts to accept the offer and order some milk. They only serve espressos here, apparently, and Miharu turns down the offer. She is still hoping that the next time she drinks coffee, it will be Rinka's.

Could we try and keep this short, please? I'm not too fond of how long the conversation drags on when you're all drinking.

No mercy from you, huh? Well, not like I gathered everyone just for drinks. I bring some good news to the table, as well.

What kind of good news?

As I anticipated, plenty of journalists are looking into what that Yu kid did at your school. Gotta wonder what'll happen to all their work if we eliminate him, though. Would it change to a completely different scoop?

Who cares. Get to the point. What'd you manage to find out?

Well, it seems like there's no direct connection between what happened at Amecha and the terrorist organization NULL. Doesn't make them entirely unconnected, though. There's apparently a group that shares the same ideals, they claim to be NULL's Japan branch, and they did play a part.

You said yesterday that he was affiliated with NULL in some manner. How did you find this much out in just one day?

Yu's something like a codename, right? We're the only ones who know this, so it served as a solid bargaining chip.

The entire conversation has taken a toll on Miharu's sense of reality. Hearing about things like this makes her feel like she's playing a part in some fictional story.

Their ideals and goals are irrelevant. They're not directly related to Yu, either. What's important is the information about Yu himself.

So that was your idea of foreplay, huh? Might as well get to the main event now.

I still don't know much about Yu, but it seems like a young boy joined the ranks of NULL's Japan branch this spring. He's a former mercenary who was born in a warzone. Seems there's an organization in that place that would gather up orphans and raise them as child soldiers. They brought him from there.

He's well versed in all manner of weapons and tears through battlefields with little emotion. Some refer to him as Sagittarius the Swift.

Now that reeks.

The kid was probably inducted to a local organization as some kind of payment... Back on topic, though. I guess he's got some kind of grudge against Japan, so he volunteered himself, or so they say. But get this. Apparently, NULL's Japan branch weren't even in the market for any new soldiers.

All they did was buy a puppet willing to throw away its life for them.

Where'd this info come from?

Sorry, but I'm going to keep that to myself. Don't want to risk you two chasing down my sources.

Heh. Yeah, we get it. You're in charge of info, and we're in charge of the heavy lifting, right?

That makes me question my place here.

No need, haha! It's you who got us to act in the first place. There's plenty of merit to your involvement.

Scale gives her a quick wink. It only serves to annoy Miharu, prompting her to avert her eyes with a huff.

He went for Amecha, right? Why'd he bother with a place like that?

I was going to bring that up next. Seems like the organization didn't order him to go there.

It's best to assume he had an accomplice based on how he infiltrated the school and the amount of explosives he brought in, but it was his sole choice to do so.

His infiltration method involved wearing the Amecha school uniform to blend in. While he did stand out due to his appearance, no one doubted that he was a girl. It was an act so bold that, in turn, it seemed perfectly natural.

Heh... Ain't much of an organization when your people run around and do whatever they please.

Speaking of which, there was that one case toward the end of last month. They found a suspicious object on the Yamanote line. Is that related in any way?

This was actually mentioned all the way back in Update 30; Rinka saw it on the news while she was getting ready for school that morning :eng101:

Nice deduction. You should be able to figure out why there's so much info about them available by now. The reason nothing came from that is because there was a traitor in the organization. Someone volunteered to commit terrorist acts, but never followed through. Investigations into them kicked off behind the scenes thanks to that.

Most of the central members have been arrested as a result, and the organization's taken a massive hit. This news has been kept under wraps to avoid stirring up the public, as well as to prevent possible retaliation.

The whole debacle's damaged NULL's reputation. Not much of a surprise, though.

The organization must've reached a breaking point for a traitor to pop up, but who knows what triggered it... Seems like you're getting to the important part of your story, though.

Yup, there's more. Seems like there were plans to bomb the Yamanote line before the case I just mentioned. Said plan got delayed when the person they wanted to carry it out vanished.

Miharu can already tell where he's going with this. The nature of the conversation still feels odd, but she finds herself able to follow along well enough. Scale takes another sip of his drink before presenting his conclusion.

I think it's likely the person who vanished was Yu. The plan was to be carried out during the first week of May, just after Golden Week. It's no coincidence that it overlaps with the beginning of Divine Selection.

drat. You dug up a big treasure for us, didn't ya? You even went and revealed his cause of death!

Gotta admit, I wasn't expecting him to be a suicide bomber...

Their exchange doesn't seem to make sense on the surface, but Miharu is able to place the pieces as they talk. Then again, anyone would be able to put two and two together after hearing this much.

If he blew himself up, then it only makes sense that what he did got undone, as well... I guess the explosion itself is what killed him. Either that, or the fire... Oh. There we go.

Light spews forth from Federico's card book, followed by Odette's and Miharu's, resulting in a new card for each. It has only been a single day since they began to cooperate, but they have already discovered Yu's cause of death. It is a cause for joy, but even more than that, surprise. Miharu is just as surprised as the others. Albeit not entirely for the same reasons.

Wednesday, May 2nd. The very day Miharu and Rinka, along with all the other participants, lost their lives. The day fate itself was altered. Rinka had told Miharu the general gist of what she did that day. She never mentioned her direct cause of death, but Miharu made sure to ask Naomi, who was with Rinka that day, about the details a few days later. Naomi was obviously frightened by Miharu's threatening attitude, but she did talk about her dreams where she and Rinka were caught up in a fire while on the train. Miharu feels nothing but guilt over how she treated Naomi at the time, but it's too late for that now. Regardless, Rinka's death was through suffocation. Miharu learned this after eliminating Sonya and obtaining that card. As much as it pained Miharu to imagine Rinka's death, she used that card together with what Naomi had told her to reach the conclusion that smoke from the fire caused Rinka to suffocate. However, part of her conjecture was incorrect, she now realizes.

It was no accident. Rinka was a victim of Yu's terrorist attack.

What's up, Miharu? You look awfully pale.

Sorry. I use the Yamanote line frequently, so it's hard to shake the image of people dying on it.

Miharu does all she can to maintain composure, but her expression shows hints of anger. Yu took not only Naomi's life, but Rinka's as well. She cannot forgive him for that.

I get what you mean. Lord knows what drove him to it, but the fact of the matter is that he's pure evil. We can't let someone like him run amuck. Hell, now I'm glad you had us prioritize him. Tch... I'd have all three of his cards already if the other two hadn't disappeared.

Well, the main issue now is his regret. We wouldn't have figured out his cause of death as quick as you, but it was only a matter of time before we did.

I don't have any leads on that, I'm afraid.

Then we've got two approaches. One, find someone who knows him and have them spill it. As for two...

Ugh...

We go and get it straight from the horse's mouth.

Odette grins ear to ear before downing the remainder of her drink.

…...

06/13 (WED), Night
Miharu takes a bit of a detour and heads over to Lion House.

I wonder what Rinka's doing...

Miharu cannot muster the courage to set foot inside. She does not want to accept that her presence alone will do nothing for Rinka. Instead, she recalls events from the bar as she gazes through a window. Scale's ability to gather information took her by surprise. All she did was reveal Yu's name, and with just that, he quickly discovered his cause of death. And just as they were at a loss in regards to his regret, Odette showed them the way. She seemed excited about the prospect of resorting to violence, too.

Miharu is well aware of how capable she is, but today she learned it means nothing when compared to their connections and experience, not to mention Odette's extraordinary physique and spirit. Her presence acted as an insurmountable wall. The prospect of her own elimination doesn't frighten Miharu, though. What frightens her is both Rinka's reaction to it happening, as well as the idea of Rinka herself being eliminated.

My existence alone isn't enough to give Rinka hope.

Her willingness to give in, coupled with a complete lack of faith in herself... This is the side of Miharu that she never wants anyone to see. Even so, she made a promise to herself long ago. So long as Rinka believes she's strong-hearted, she will do everything she can to live up to those expectations. No matter the cost. Fortunately, Miharu knows that both Scale and Odette are overestimating her. Perhaps it is due to the bluff she has been maintaining for years, but all she has to do is keep pretending until the lie eventually becomes the truth. She hates herself for being a liar, but she also appreciates her ability to lie for the sake of a single goal.

Indeed, she does it all for one person.

All for Rinka.

-----

Cardbook has updated.

IV – Name – Yu
IX – Name – Scale Jones

IV – Name – Yu
VII – Name – Ro Chanho
VII – Cause of Death - Stroke
IX – Name – Scale Jones

IV – Name – Yu
IX – Name – Scale Jones
IX – Regret – Gold Medal

IV – Name – Yu
VII – Name – Ro Chanho
VII – Cause of Death – Stroke
VII – Regret - Dog
IX – Name – Scale Jones

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Ooh, a NYE update! Thank you, OP~

Miharu's hiding something, although I'm still not sure what. Not necessarily that her feelings for Rinka are fake, but perhaps that she knows more than she's letting on about Divine Selection. It's fun seeing her face off against the adults.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

06/14 (THU), Morning
The rainy season continues... Just as I continue to remain a shell of my former self. I've only been eating the bare minimum I need to survive. I haven't weighed myself, but I've probably lost a couple of pounds.

I'm so sorry, Naomi...

I've been having the same nightmare lately. It starts with the day I met Naomi and ends the moment she died. Night after night, I'm forced to watch her die. I guess it's an appropriate punishment for me, though. It's my fault that she died, after all. This is the only way I can repent. The only thing I've done since then is wallow in my own regret.

We never should have met in the first place...

I can't help but think that. My thought process is nothing but an endless loop about this.

I hear my phone ring. I reach over to pick it up. As I do so, I notice the date. Thursday. Five days have already passed since Naomi died.

I have a huge number of missed calls and messages. Most are from Mao. We're still off from school, so I wish she'd leave me alone. I don't have it in me to answer any calls or look at the messages she sent. I'm practically the one who killed Naomi. She wouldn't have died if I hadn't gotten her involved. What gives me the right to speak to Mao? The responsibility I feel over all this crushes me more and more each and every day.

Oh, it's from gran...

There is one missed call from my gran. She's left a voicemail.

“Come see me if things get tough.”

It is a simple message. But it is one that instills in me a sense of relief. Throwing everything by the wayside and spending time with her until my eventual elimination doesn't sound too bad.

…...

06/14 (THU), Noon
Although Miharu is cooperating with Scale and the others, she still makes sure to go about her daily life as usual. School being closed has served as a good opportunity for her to take on more shifts at work. They did warn all students to avoid going outdoors as much as possible, but she doesn't care. Hearing the jingle at the door, Miharu directs her attention toward the entrance.

BGM: Welcome Back, my Master E
Welcome back, Mas-

She finds herself at a loss for words. Who can blame her? Addressing the people who just walked in the door as “master” is something she would much rather not do.

Thank you for your patronage. Do be mindful of the weather on your way home.

Hold up! You can't treat customers like that!

Now now, Federico. This is a maid cafe, so it's only natural that we respond in kind.

Scale clears his throat before continuing.

I've returned home.

Goodbye. Please take care on your way home.

She's telling us to scram!

Haha! The 'tsundere' archetpe is just as entertaining as I'd heard.

Quit running your mouth, wouldja? The hell's up with this place, anyway...?

Tch... Let me find you a table so you can stop being a nuisance.

It's common for foreigners to visit a maid cafe in Akihabara, so the two of them don't stand out too much. Miharu makes sure they can hear her muttering as she directs them to their table.

Geez... What'd I do to deserve this...?

Miharu ends up being left in charge of them due to the language barrier.

I'm not sure what you two are thinking, but this place isn't for the likes of you. We only welcome masters who are sad, disgruntled excuses for people that somehow have ridiculous expectations of girls they've never once interacted with in their lives.

What're your thoughts on the 'special' pancake, Federico?

You're paying, so get whatever. Boy, do I ever feel uncomfortable here, though.

Let it be known that I'll hold a grudge against you for my entire life if you purchase anything on here, Scale.

Oh, they've got a booze menu, as well. You fine with beer?

Ugh... This can't be happening...

…

A full hour later, Miharu sees them off. Her face bright red with embarrassment all the while, of course. Scale showed her absolutely no mercy, even making her cast a tasty spell on his food. The last person to order it was Sofiya, but that hardly compared to the sheer humiliation she felt this time around. Scale knew what maid cafes were all about, but the bigger issue was Federico. The grin on his face as she struck that pose made her want to choke the life out of him right then and there. The fun and games only lasted till they got their bill, though. After that was sorted out, Scale quietly told her to come to the usual place. He could have just phoned or texted her, but instead he chose to come all this way. And with Federico, to boot. She couldn't help but feel there was a connection between this and both of their secrets.

…...

06/14 (THU), Night
That's three days in a row I've come here now. Someone's going to catch on to me eventually, you know.

Federico and Scale are already there by the time Miharu arrives. As expected, Odette is nowhere to be seen.

Your sources may be handy, but your actions today were wholly inappropriate, Scale.

She may have a smile on her face, but there is nothing but hostility toward him underneath.

Hahaha! Sorry. I just wanted to experience some Japanese culture while I'm here. It'd be a waste otherwise.

I made sure to check out the other waitresses, but you are the cream of the crop, for sure. Trust me on that one.

Can I go home? I'd rather not put up with this regardless of whatever bomb you're about to drop.

Miharu makes it clear that she has no time for jokes. She refuses to order anything today. She does not even sit down before continuing.

Tagging along with Scale was your one ticket to get away from Odette, I take it? She certainly has you on a short leash.

You lookin' for a fight?!

Calm down, both of you. Judging by your attitude, Miharu, I assume you've realized why I called you over here.

Miharu freezes for an instant. She takes a moment to reflect on it. After all, she must remain one step ahead of her own expectations. Miharu's pupils widen as she reaches a conclusion.

The elimination of Odette Malencon. That's why you really brought me into this alliance, isn't it?

That keen mind of yours makes me glad I did so. You know how dangerous she is. Like I said before, people let their guard down most when they're focused on something. The more focused you are on it, the less aware you are of your surroundings.

You're the only one here capable of taking advantage of that. There's no way she'd ever let it happen around me and Scale.

Isn't it a bit early for you to reveal your master plan?

Nope. This is the perfect timing, in fact. You're probably thinking that you can't match her, right? I doubt anyone would deny both her strength and wisdom. But that's precisely why it's dangerous to resign yourself to her. She's undoubtedly wicked at heart, but there's something about her that makes you forget.

We figured it'd be best to tell you before she gets in your head. Think about it for a second: Divine Selection, but without either her or Alan. Sounds way simpler, right?

You're overestimating me far too much if you think I'm capable of gathering any information on her.

Well, us two already have a good idea of her cause of death. Give us another few days and we'll be able to get a card out of it, although we'll have to figure a way to do it without her knowing. All you need to do is find out her regret.

If you feel bad about doing so, then don't force it. Just remember that we're doing this because she's evil. That makes our actions just.

There's no hesitation in Scale's voice. Miharu casts her gaze down, presenting herself as deep in thought. As she does so, laughter begins to leak out of her mouth.

BGM: Wi H g L n (Dark Side of Hers)
Haha... Hahahaha...

Our actions are just, you say? Pfft. Sorry to break it to you, but we're just as evil as she is. Every last one of us. It's all the same to me, though. I'll embrace that fact, because my end goal will never change. Hahaha!

Part of her laughter comes from the massive collapse of tension. The wall she thought to be insurmountable has already begun to show cracks. Just as they've already gotten an idea of her cause of death, Miharu has come across clues regarding her regret. Turning those clues into a card shouldn't prove too difficult with Scale's help. What's most hilarious, however, is that Scale- who is willing to betray Odette immediately after forming an alliance- has no idea that Miharu possesses his cause of death card. Situations like this don't happen on a daily basis, and that is why Miharu finds herself laughing hysterically.

Her sudden change in attitude seems to perplex Federico.

Did she lose a few screws or something?

How rude. Surely I'm allowed to laugh when I find something funny. Anyway, I fully intend on playing my part in this alliance. Of course, only under the condition that Yu remains our first and foremost priority.

I figured you'd say that. No objections here, of course. It's all for a just cause.

He extends his right hand, hoping for Miharu to shake it. Miharu does not respond in kind, however. Instead, she turns her back to him. The dim lighting in the bar shimmers off her long, sleek hair.

I'm sure this goes without saying, but try not to mess things up for us. It'd be pathetic if this entire plan backfired on you.

Hah, no need to worry. I've been waiting for this opportunity ever since I teamed up with her. All I gotta do is go through with it now, whether or not she catches on.

Miharu exits the bar by the time Federico finishes her exclamation.

…...

Miharu finds herself staring into Lion House from outside once again. The nighttime summer breeze caresses her.

The line between good and evil doesn't matter for us. Hehe... All that matters is I pull through... for your sake.

That said, she makes her way back home.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

06/15 (FRI), Noon
Friday already...

I mutter to myself. I never accepted my gran's offer in the end. Not because I figure I'll be fine on my own. I just lack the motivation and energy to pack and travel the distance required. I probably would've gone if someone packed for me and she came to pick me up.

I might just be a shell of a human at this point.

*bing bong*

And then the front buzzer rings. I ignore it.

*bing bong*

It rings again. I ignore it again.

*bing bong*

But it doesn't stop ringing... It annoys me to the point where I actually go and answer it.

Cut it out alre-

Rinny!

The sheer volume of the voice from beyond the speaker causes my body to jolt backward. That, in turn, causes me to miss the ideal opportunity to cut them short. The person on the other end takes that as their chance.

Rinny! Open up, Rinny!

I'm not sure why Mao's here, but I'm not in the mood to see her. But at the same time, I just don't have it in me to ignore her. I guess a part of me figures she's here to cheer me up.

…...

BGM: Lion House Cafe

Been a while, Rinny! You sure aren't dressed to impress, huh?

Mao gives her honest opinion on my current state. I know she's right, too. My hair's a mess and I'm wearing pajamas. I've at least been taking baths and brushing my teeth, so I shouldn't look like complete filth.

Somehow it feels way longer than four days since we last saw each other. I don't think we've ever been apart for this long before. It's been a while since I was last at Lion House, too. I think the last time was just before Golden Week, when I came with Nao-

Oh! Uh, did you watch that show yesterday?! Honestly wasn't expecting those two to kiss!

There's no need to beat around the bush. I know you're hurting as much as I am. More importantly, why are you even here?

Heehee... Can't keep any secrets around you, can I? Ain't it obvious? I just wanted to see you! I got worried because you kept ignoring my calls and stuff... I felt like I was about to lose you, too...

Mao... Let me get you some coffee. Are you fine with cafe au lait?

I think I'll go with some proper coffee today. But, um, make sure there's plenty of milk and sugar in it.

I tie my hair up before heading into the kitchen. Mao's thoughts and feelings about coming here are clear just by the look on her face. I may not have the energy or motivation, but that's irrelevant when I'm in the kitchen. You're a pro the moment you enter the kitchen. My gran's words have stuck with me, even now. Now that I think about it, I haven't made any coffee for a few days. It's not that long, really, but I don't think I've ever gone this amount of time without brewing anything. I doubt I've gotten any worse. No matter what condition I'm in, my body remembers what to do.

Here you go.

Oooh, smells nice. Ah, I see you've re-engaged mess mode by untying your hair again.

Mao may seem to be acting normally, but I can tell she's only about as half as lively as she usually is.

Blech. Bitter...

One tiny sip is all it takes for her to grimace from the taste. She wastes no time in dumping four more sugars and extra milk into the cup after that. Not a moment of hesitation at all... Well, that's fine by me. I'm not particularly fussy about how people prefer their coffee. Lion House is meant to be a second home to its customers. Why do something here that you don't like doing at home?

Sure is pouring outside, huh?

Both of us quietly count raindrops as we drink our coffee. Time passes by slowly, as though in contrast to the tempo of the rain. The droplets clinging to tree leaves accentuate their beautiful green color.

It's kinda funny how the rain will stop every now and then, but I can't stop crying over what happened.

Her voice is almost hushed enough to be drowned out by the rain. She is right, though. I've spent every day in tears. And there seems to be no end to them.

Is there a reason you're blaming yourself for what happened?

Huh...? How did you...?

I want to ask how Mao knows. After all, the only other person I talked to about Yu was Miharu. Regardless, I offer a simple explanation of the facts. Mao shouldn't know anything about Divine Selection, let alone the fact that Naomi got caught up in it.

I know you just as well as you know me. You might've been there when it happened, but that doesn't mean it's your fault. There's no reason to blame yourself for not being able to save her.

The only person at fault is the culprit. You don't need to beat yourself up. The grief you feel over losing her is enough.

It wouldn't have happened if I hadn't taught her how to brew coffee. It's my fault for making her go through with her class's plans for the culture festival. If I hadn't spoke to her that day in the library... She might still be alive if she never met me...

This is what I've been telling myself over and over again. Doing so has become part of my daily routine.

BGM: The Memory Remains

Don't say that, Rinny... Not after all the time we spent together. Me, you, Miharun... and Naorin. Whether we were chatting here or going to a theme park, I honestly had so much fun when we were together. You're just smearing the memories we made together by saying that. I don't want that. Not when I treasure them so much.

I just wish we could've spent more time together... We even made plans to go somewhere after the culture festival... That's why you should let yourself grieve instead of blaming yourself. Don't be upset that you couldn't save her. Be upset that you can't spend more time with her.

My memories with Naomi...

Those memories aren't just mine. Like Mao said, those are memories we all treasure.

As I said earlier, a part of me felt like I was about to lose you, too. I couldn't handle that. I don't want to see you fall deeper into this hole you've dug for yourself. It's not something you can get over easily... I know that because I'm in the same hole! But even then... We gotta climb out! We've still got our lives ahead of us!

We're still alive. We still have our futures ahead of us. I still have the potential to achieve something, despite all that's happened. No one knows what the future holds in store for us.

I won't tell you to cheer up. But at the very least, I want you to realize you don't need to go through this alone. We can move forward together, even if we cry along the way.

Mao... Sorry... I can't hold it in any longer...

Neither of us can. We both cry our hearts out. Mao's crying face is all I see for a good while. Just because we're together doesn't make me any less sad. We can't share our pain. What happened pains each of us equally. Still... At the very least, we can weep over what we lost together.

…...

06/15 (FRI), Night
Night has fallen by the time we settle back down. Surprisingly enough, it's also stopped raining. That's pretty rare this time of season.

Oh, yeah. Did you know that school's back in session next week?

Oh, really?

Check your messages. There's probably one from the school in there somewhere. Anyway, no skipping class once next week rolls around. Agreed?

I know. I'll see you next week.

Yup! Catch you later!

I head back to my room after seeing Mao off.

Wanting to test something, I flip open my card book.

Figures. I can't believe I was stupid enough to let this slip past me...

Light spews forth from it, which eventually takes the form of a new card. The contents are simple:

My regret.

BGM: Rinka

It is none other than my regular life.

It may seem trite, but it represents what the future holds for me. I always figured I had no regret to speak of. But even then, I wanted to live. It takes me a while, but I finally figure out the answer that lays behind the contradiction. The lack of an answer in regards to my regret is, in itself, the answer I have been seeking.

I just want to spend more time with everyone. I want to be someone who is cherished by everyone, like my gran. I want to fall in love, just like the characters in the shoujo manga I read. I want to watch a movie that really tugs at my heartstrings. I want to get better at making coffee. I want to make food worth serving here. I want to go to college. I want to grow old enough to drink. … So many desires. ...So many wishes. ...So many possibilities. There's still so much I want to do. Things I haven't even realized yet.

My regret is tied to the idea of what awaits me in life. Who I'll become, what I'll achieve, all of that. Thinking and worrying about that while marching forward is, to me, an integral part of my daily life. And that's not something I'll abandon so easily. I press the new card against my chest as I think that.

I never expected Mao of all people to be the one to console me.

I can't even stifle my laughter. It's the first time in a while I've been able to laugh. My actions from here on out are tied to my future. I'm the only one with the ability to achieve the limitless potential that awaits me. Who else could do that besides me? There's just one thing, though. One thing I have to achieve immediately.

I'm going to bring Naomi back.

I throw my fist up toward the ceiling. Mao said it's fine for me to grieve, but I don't have that luxury. Nor do I have the luxury to sit around and blame myself. I'm currently balancing on the boundary of fate itself. Now is the time to face forward and act. I need to eliminate Yu. Not because of what he said. This is entirely of my own will.

I'll take my life back with my own hands.

Wait for me, Naomi...

Is my life worth casting aside the lives of others for? I still don't know that answer. But I know that I'm the one who will shape my own future.

…...

Electing Yu is a must. His elimination should undo Naomi's death. His entire attack on the school should be undone, at that. As much as I don't want to remember the scene, his decision to kill me with his own hands may have been for the sake of leaving that possibility open to me. Had the explosion or fire been her cause of death, things may have been tweaked so that she ended up dying in an accident or something similar. He's made thorough preparations for me to kill him.

The only issue is that I only have his name and cause of death, since his regret card disappeared. I can't just eliminate him and leave it at that, either. What secrets are hidden within the memories he regained? Why is he so desperate for me to elect him? Only after I learn more about him do I plan to eliminate him. Not so I can sympathize with him like I have until now. He's the person responsible for taking Naomi's life. That fact won't change, no matter what.

*bing bong!*

Just then, the buzzer goes off again. We don't get customers around this time, so Mao must've left something here. Little do I know what is in store for me when I push the button for the speaker.

Yo. Doing good business here, are we?

If only it would've been Mao. Instead, it's Numeral XI.

[END OF WEEK SEVEN (PART A): SORROWFUL RAIN]

-----

Cardbook has updated.

I – Regret – Daily Routine
IV – Name – Yu
IX – Regret – Gold Medal

I – Regret – Daily Routine
IV – Name – Yu
IX – Name – Scale Jones

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014
I have a feeling that the alliance against Odette is something she's already way ahead of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

06/15 (FRI), Midnight
More frightened by the prospect of what will happen if I ignore her, I decide to let her in. I wouldn't be surprised if she busted the door down if I hadn't.

Not a bad little cafe you got here.

She seems far more bulky up close than when I saw her at Shigetsugu's house. The extent to which she stands out in a cafe like this doesn't help. Judging by how she hasn't assaulted me yet, I can only assume that she's got other business here. It'd only take a matter of seconds for her to render me helpless at this distance. That is the one silver lining here.

Sorry, kid. Is this your bedtime?

...No.

Heh. Been near two weeks since we saw each other in the real world. How you been?

Why are you here?

Ahh, c'mon. Why's everyone gotta be so vigilant around me? At least that Miharu girl is a bit more friendly.

Miharu...? Did you do something to her...?

Her having taken Miharu hostage is the first thing that pops into my head. That can't be it, though. We fooled everyone into thinking we'd had a falling out with our little exchange in the Court of Fate.

Ah-ha. Guess you two are still buddies, after all. Doesn't seem like you know what she's been up to judging by your reaction, though? Can't blame you. Most people would be crushed if their underclassman friend died. You don't look like a broken person, though. I'll assume you've gotten over it.

Alan said she's the type of person to reach conclusions through situational evidence. He was dead on. She was able to snatch the answers from me just by talking and then judging my reactions. It doesn't help that I'm feeling pressured by her. Sitting upright in situations like this one makes one seem more confident. That's what my gran always used to say.

I'll ask one more time. Did you do something to Miharu?

That's the spirit. I ain't interested in talking to people who're shakin' in their boots. Lemme ask you, then. Do you think that gal's weak enough to let such a thing happen?

Not at all. She's far stronger and resolute than I could ever be.

Oh-ho... Good answer, kid.

BGM: Odette
I'm Odette Malencon. Here's hoping that admission's enough to ease the tension.

That said, my card book begins to glow. Eventually, the light takes the form of her name card.

Why would you...?

I'm only here to talk things out with you. Giving you my name doesn't put me at any disadvantage. Besides, I can tell you don't have any of my cards yet based on how frightened you were before. That being the case, giving you my name seems like a good way to establish some trust, yeah?

I don't plan on telling you mine.

No need to worry about that, Shishimai Rinka. Though you probably figured I knew it by now, considering I found this place.

It's just as she says. In fact, it'd be odd for someone not to find out my name along with Lion House.

Well, it's clear that you're not here to raid this place like you did Shigetsugu's home.

Hey, that's what I've been trying to say all along. Hmm.. Lemme put it like this.

I'm here to help you.

Here to help me? I'm sorry, but jokes don't suit you.

No need to be so reserved. You might wanna eliminate Yu, but right now you don't have the means. Lemme explain from the top. Mind getting me some coffee?

Odette takes a seat at one of the tables without giving me so much as a glance. I don't think I've got any option, so I make some for both of us.

…...

BGM: Lion House Cafe

Oh, man. Tastes pretty drat good. You're workin' pretty hard despite your age, huh? That's what I like to see.

She stands and stretches after tasting her coffee. She strikes me as the type who would voraciously devour meat and chug down any sort of alcohol, but to my surprise, she is able to discern the type of beans and roasting method I use. After that, we discuss things while drinking our coffee.

The first thing she tells me is regarding Yu. He's part of a terrorist organization in Japan and was originally meant to carry out an attack on the Yamanote line. That just so happened to be the attack Naomi and myself got caught up in. They don't seem to be aware of my cause of death, though. Next up is Miharu. Not only has she met with Odette, but she's even formed an alliance with her, Federico, and Numeral IX, whose name seems to be Scale. Their ultimate objective is to eliminate Alan. I'm not quite sure if he's an inherently bad person after having spoken to him personally, but his status as a major player in Divine Selection can't be denied. But what surprises me most is learning that Miharu has convinced them to target Yu first. Her goal is the same as mine, then. She wants to save Naomi.

It's hard not to tie what happened at Amecha to Divine Selection, all things considered. Not only is Yu the culprit, but it's a school both myself and Miharu attend. I'm the only one who knows that Yu's doing this to make me elect him, but they interpreted it as his attempt to provoke the other participants.

So Miharu's cooperating with you...

The whole reason Scale approached Miharu was because of your supposed falling out. While it wasn't enough to fool me, it was a solid plan. Both him and that dumbass Federico ate it up.

None of that explains why she's here, though. In fact, it makes even less sense now that I know they're cooperating.

It ain't just Alan they'll be targeting once Yu's gone. All three of 'em are gonna come right after me.

Miharu wouldn't do...

I was going to say she wouldn't deceive someone like that, but I couldn't finish the sentence. Miharu's strength of will is rock solid. She wouldn't betray someone soley for her own gain, though. Which means it's either for Naomi's sake... or mine. That much is easy to figure out.

Chances are she's already aware that I've figured them out. Like I said though, they probably won't go after me until they've both eliminated Yu and gotten close enough to gathering all of Alan's cards. No way that lot would underestimate what I'm capable of, after all.

The sheer confidence she has in herself isn't something I'd ever dispute. It's not my place to make this comparison, but she's probably the only person who can compare to Alan out of all the participants, assuming we judge purely on strength of character. None of what she's said thus far explains why she came to see me, though.

Squaring off with them after we eliminate Yu's just a bit too predictable, though. I wanna get more of a thrill out of it.

How does your excitement fit into all of this?

Think about it. Life's all about the thrill and excitement, ain't it? You'd be better off dead if it weren't.

I don't quite get where you're coming from...

Heh. I ain't worried about whether or not you get it. Anyway. If things are gonna go down, then you can be drat sure I'll be the one double-crossing them.

A bold smile accompanies her proclamation.

Would you mind explaining what you meant about helping me?

Just like it sounds, kid. You wanna eliminate Yu so that your underclassman's death gets undone, but you don't got the means to do so. Dunno why you'd get this bothered over one insignificant life, but...

How dare you! Naomi's life isn't insignificant to me!

I've messed up by saying that... I don't regret it, though. I won't let anone get away with saying that about Naomi. I don't even bother to say anything else after that, I just glare at her.

Whew, attagirl. I was ready to shove off if you let me get away with that. Keep up the attitude while you're at it. I ain't one for polite chit-chat.

Were you testing me?

Yep. Got a problem? I said I was here to help you, but I ain't one to offer my services for free. That's why I tested you, to see if it's even worth presenting you with the choice. That kid and the remnants of NULL's Japan branch are planning another attack tomorrow. They wanna have things end with a bang, which is why they're targeting Tokyo Tower.

No way...!

They've already put the plan into motion. I've heard talks of suspicious trades involving gas and ammonium nitrate, which just so happen to be what's needed to make bombs.

Ammonium nitrate's generally used for fertilizers, but only pros are allowed to handle it. Even if they plan things out well, they can't cover their tracks completely. I'm not quite sure how it works, but it seems like a thermite reaction is caused by the iron oxide and aluminum powder packed into the bombs. Not only will the blast be powerful, it'll also spread fire everywhere. Firebombs, basically. Probably the same type that Yu used when he blew up the train, as well as Amecha.

Chances are they're gonna go wild, considering the circumstances. Who knows how many people'll die if Tokyo Tower blows up on a weekend. Even worse, Yu won't die since he's a participant. Perpetrators usually die alongside everyone else, but he'll live on and keep pulling crap like that.

We can't let that happen... We have to stop them...!

You're a kind sort, huh? Thing is, I don't really give a drat about how many people die.

The sheer disgust I feel over that admission causes me to glare at her again. She raises her finger and thrusts it in front of my mouth before I can say anything, though.

But! On the other hand, stopping some pansy terrorists ain't no thing for me.

The fact that she can make a statement like that sound believable is part of what makes her so impressive.

Aren't we better off letting the police deal with this...?

Only people like us are aware of the whole thing. Ain't no outlaw who wants to get themselves involved with the police. What's more, they'd only benefit from it in the end. All those features and news articles are gonna turn into hard cash.

Most importantly, there's a kid involved who can go about blowing himself up while random coincidences somehow keep him alive. The police would get a pretty bad reputation from that.

She's probably right. There's no way anyone would swallow the idea that he can't die because he's a participant in Divine Selection. They're just as likely to have more than just bombs at their disposal, so who knows how many casualties would result.

Considering I've got Scale, Federico, and kinda-sorta Miharu gunning for me, I'd rather get this done and dusted quick. You don't need me to explain the rest, do you?

...Go ahead.

I'll stop the terrorists and give you an opportunity to make contact with Yu. The old fart let you in his home, and I know you spoke to Yu after his elimination. You should be able to make him spill his regret.

Eliminate him and save both your underclassman and the masses.

Just don't forget that we're making a deal. I want your cards in exchange. Both your cause of death and regret. I want them the moment you get Yu's info, too. In other words, both you and him get eliminated during the same election. I guarantee it won't affect your dead friend, either. She'll be safe, even after your elimination.

Fate will run its original course with both myself and Yu eliminated. It makes sense. My elimination would result in Naomi witnessing my death. That's how things went originally. Odette probably doesn't know that much, but her words hit hard.

So what'll it be? Get with me and guarantee that you'll save your friend's life, or try to pull through on your own?

As for me...