Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

:toot:

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1473942033148620800

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Pork markets

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Miftan posted:

Don't know how you can say this with (I assume) a straight face when caring about/knowing who the Xmas number 1 is the most British boomer thing I've ever encountered.

Granted, but most people ITT probably assumed until this point they were connected enough to pop culture that they would at least have *heard* of Ladbaby, and their brains are suddenly doing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DlTexEXxLQ

As always this makes me the avant garde of the thread because I both gave up on popular culture in 1994 and also heard of Ladbaby back in the summer when I was making a Christmas Number 1s quiz and did a big mental shrug at the bottom third of the table.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I never heard of ladbaby until I was yesterday years old. But then I'm a Boomer/X cusper depending which definitions you go by!

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Christ it really made me feel like that when I went into CeX the other day and they're selling Gamecubes alongside the SNES's and Mega Drives in the retro section.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Christmas music is meant to be ignored.
It was only hyped up because the BBC had sole control of the chart and playing of it for 50 years nearly.
Decades on decades of B/C/D/E list celebs with loving christmas songs trying to score that one more pay out, that are only used for interrogations nowadays by the US.
Now its social media stars because no music company is willing to pump in the massive amounts of money they used to.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Dec 23, 2021

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ThomasPaine posted:

Christ it really made me feel like that when I went into CeX the other day and they're selling Gamecubes alongside the SNES's and Mega Drives in the retro section.

Gamecube? The PS3 and 360 are in retro territory now.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

don't do this to me I still remember playing pokemon on my brick sized black and white gameboy

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
i feel like christmas no. 1 made some kind of sense when it was theoretically possible that someone would buy someone a single as a christmas present. I remember someone bought me a single by 5ive for my tenth birthday and i loving loved it. who the gently caress is hoping to get a CD with three minutes of music and maybe a couple of studio offcuts on under the tree in 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Possibly the same people buying gamecubes from CEX.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
Is everyone complaining about sausage nonce forgetting that an actual child sex offender had a Christmas #1 called Two Little Boys

The march of incremental progress is inevitable, but nobody said it'd ever be enjoyable

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
I think we probably peaked with Bob the builder tbh

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Angepain posted:

i feel like christmas no. 1 made some kind of sense when it was theoretically possible that someone would buy someone a single as a christmas present. I remember someone bought me a single by 5ive for my tenth birthday and i loving loved it. who the gently caress is hoping to get a CD with three minutes of music and maybe a couple of studio offcuts on under the tree in 2021

The concept of physical singles never made much sense to me. Most of the time the album was already out and cost maybe a fiver more. Did people really have a collection of CDs holding a single song? Such a waste of plastic.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

stev posted:

The concept of physical singles never made much sense to me. Most of the time the album was already out and cost maybe a fiver more. Did people really have a collection of CDs holding a single song? Such a waste of plastic.

Some bands had decent b-sides

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Someone bought me the kunt song as a Christmas present. Pretty sweet gift tbh alough I fear kunt might be among the first when the disappearances start

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Possibly the same people buying gamecubes from CEX.

Tbf it had some great games. My favourites were Wind Waker and Eternal Darkness. I don't think the latter ever came out for anything else so was mostly ignored, but it was properly, properly good. I replayed it a few years back and it stands up weirdly well for something made in 2002.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Ladbaby started off as a youtube twat 'pranking' his missus and pretending to get parenting wrong for clicks. He's largely a knob in the same way that most of the people in this country are knobs, so I don't hate him. I just don't see any reason to give him any regard for his political positions because I guarantee he has put zero thought into anything he does.

I feel like the Trashfuture britainology episode on the legend probably sums up most of his appeal.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

stev posted:

Albums used to cost quite a bit more than singles until the free market Napster made them reevaluate their pricing structure.

The whole thing was just a direct holdover from the 45/33 vinyl days, but at least in those cases a 45 would use less plastic than an LP and be less fiddly to produce due to the lower track density, whereas a single CD and an album CD are the same physical spec even if you're only pressing the inside (weird pocket CDs that never took off in the UK aside).

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I liked a good four track EP when I were a lad.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

happyhippy posted:

Christmas music is meant to be ignored.
It was only hyped up because the BBC had sole control of the chart and playing of it.
Decades on decades of B/C/D/E list celebs with loving christmas songs trying to score that one more pay out, that are only used for interrogations nowadays by the US.
Now its social media stars because no music company is willing to pump in the massive amounts of money they used to.

I was going to go into this a bit with my reply to Miftan but the cat needed feeding so I stopped myself, but basically, like house price obsession and TERFery caring about the Christmas Number 1 is not actually a boomer thing, it's a very solid Gen X thing. In fact there's definitely an effortpost here because it's actually all Benny Hill's fault.

I might actually come back to it and knock a few thousand words about it out during the Festive Perineum next week when I'll literally have nothing better to do.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Spangly A posted:

Is everyone complaining about sausage nonce forgetting that an actual child sex offender had a Christmas #1 called Two Little Boys

The march of incremental progress is inevitable, but nobody said it'd ever be enjoyable

Thatcher's favourite song, apparently.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

ThomasPaine posted:

I mean given the prices, yeah. GameCube games got really expensive for some reason

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Everyone remember

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxqQtUQErhQ

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

They also had a used PS5 they were charging nearly 700 quid for, even though the RRP for a new one is only 450. Some poor naive bastard's going to buy it for their kid's christmas as well. Absolute scalpers.

e: what is the deal with the PS5 shortage anyway? I know the pandemic and whatnot didn't help, but also something about a global transistor shortage or something? Seems like something that might have implications way beyond videogames!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Where have I seen this before...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/feb/26/theresa-may-the-new-iron-lady-or-a-heap-of-rusting-brexit-metal
https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/theresa-may-margaret-thatcher-prime-minister-new-iron-lady-thatcherism-flaws-a7150941.html
...and a jillion more hits from google news

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

stev posted:

When I were a lassie singles were on vinyl. We had quite a few because that's all our pocket money would stretch too (if saved up!). Albums cost about a month's pocket money.

I had
The Monster Mash by Boris Picket and the Crypt kicker 5,
The puppy song by David Cassidy
Walk on By - The Stranglers.
Heart of Stone - Kenny (and ironically years later I lost two men to the same woman whose name was Ramona but I digress). Anyway, there was a second band called Kenny. It wasn't them.
I think the last one I ever bought in the 1980s was
Phone Home - Jonny Chingas (released shortly after the ET film came out).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzpdF8iDfEw

Is anyone else old enough to remember free singles/eps (same size as singles but 33rpm instead of 45rpm) given out with Kerrang etc - really flimsy vinyl.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Dec 23, 2021

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

keep punching joe posted:

Thatcher at least invented a poo poo type of ice cream, what's Truss ever done.
For ages I thought she wrote Eats, Shoots And Leaves, but...

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

keep punching joe posted:

I liked a good four track EP when I were a lad.

my last surviving one is twofold's hammer to the hornets nest, the rest have been lost to the ravages of time

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Convex posted:

I mean given the prices, yeah. GameCube games got really expensive for some reason

Street Fighter 2 was £65 on the SNES, most GC games were way less than that.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

You can make Gravidlax easily.
Just get some smoked salmon and that's it. Take your rubbish dill sauce and chuck it in the bin where it belongs!

:colbert:

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

As a general thread reminder, CeX will literally try to scam people and it's incredibly hard to resolve with their complaints process so avoid them at any cost.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Miftan posted:

As a general thread reminder, CeX will literally try to scam people and it's incredibly hard to resolve with their complaints process so avoid them at any cost.

Oh poo poo is that true? I occasionally have a look in to see if I can pick up any games I missed on the cheap.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Is anyone else old enough to remember free singles/eps (same size as singles but 33rpm instead of 45rpm) given out with Kerrang etc - really flimsy vinyl.

Am a Gen Xers on the end of the range, and my first vinyl was from a cover of Oink! magazine which came out in the mid eighties.
It was made and sung by Mark Riley who was in the Fall for a bit, Mark and Lard on Radio 1, and now is on Radio 6.
Had to play it in my grandmothers house as they were the only ones who had a player.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

A Push door with a pull handle could stop Liz Truss in her tracks.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
CEX missed the fact that this iMac has a graphics card and undercharged me by £400 lol

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Lungboy posted:

Street Fighter 2 was £65 on the SNES, most GC games were way less than that.

I mean have a look at Fire Emblem, Paper Mario or Skies of Arcadia, which seem to go for over £100. I think its partly a nintendo thing

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Gonzo McFee posted:

A Push door with a pull handle could stop Liz Truss in her tracks.

Imagining this sketch but with truss

https://youtu.be/KwdYUIQzu-o

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Holy poo poo, looking at the prices gamecube games are going for now I'm half tempted to go dig around for my old ones, I'd probably make a good bit of change

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

ThomasPaine posted:

Oh poo poo is that true? I occasionally have a look in to see if I can pick up any games I missed on the cheap.

If you buy stuff online they will sometimes just straight up send you a worse product than what you paid for. In store they sometimes misrepresent how durable/well kept the items are. I've had good experience with them in the past, but some really bad ones and it's not worth the hassle imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Convex posted:

I mean have a look at Fire Emblem, Paper Mario or Skies of Arcadia, which seem to go for over £100. I think its partly a nintendo thing

Oh yeah some are now very expensive, I thought you meant when they were new.