Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
By the time most Americans see climate change as an immediate problem most non Americans won't anymore, if you catch my drift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

EvilJoven posted:

By the time most Americans see climate change as an immediate problem most non Americans won't anymore, if you catch my drift.

63% of Americans already believe climate change is effecting their community at least some. 60% of Americans consider climate change to be a major threat to the well-being of the USA. 52% of Americans think climate change should be the top priority for the government.

The problem is our society is structured such that the powerful don’t need to give a gently caress what the populous thinks.

Trabisnikof has issued a correction as of 16:42 on Dec 23, 2021

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
To be fair, I actually agree with quite a few of the points raised, most specifically on his argument of "doomerism". I personally think that in some cases, it takes on tenets of a secular sort of apocalyptic millenarianism in response to Western decadence, ennui, and "helplessness" towards changing the system.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Trabisnikof posted:

63% of Americans already believe climate change is effecting their community at least some. 60% of Americans consider climate change to be a major threat to the well-being of the USA. 52% of Americans think climate change should be the top priority for the government.

The problem is our society is structured such that the powerful don’t need to give a gently caress what the populous thinks.

I'd be very interested in the breakdown of that by generation and socioeconomic status lol (the people in power don't give a gently caress about CC)

Hubbert posted:

To be fair, I actually agree with quite a few of the points raised, most specifically on his argument of "doomerism". I personally think that in some cases, it takes on tenets of a secular sort of apocalyptic millenarianism in response to Western decadence, ennui, and "helplessness" towards changing the system.

I just accept that things are going to continue to get worse, because I accept reality

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

actionjackson posted:

I'd be very interested in the breakdown of that by generation and socioeconomic status lol (the people in power don't give a gently caress about CC)

I just accept that things are going to continue to get worse, because I accept reality

It’s pew polling I pulled those numbers from:

https://www.pewresearch.org/science/2020/06/23/two-thirds-of-americans-think-government-should-do-more-on-climate/

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2020/04/16/u-s-concern-about-climate-change-is-rising-but-mainly-among-democrats/

https://www.pewresearch.org/politics/2020/02/13/as-economic-concerns-recede-environmental-protection-rises-on-the-publics-policy-agenda/

but mega lol at then polling people with “what if we just plant a bunch of trees to solve climate change” as if that would work

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Hubbert posted:

His "doomerism" argument isn't really fully developed though, it relies on a strawman of a "doomer". I'm a "doomer" insofar as I agree with Rime that oil is the modern divine right of kings and that it will flow until it can't but I'm still out here trying to live my best life, I quit my oil and gas job and am focusing on local ecology and community and family. Which is the what this thread of doomers overwhelming agrees is the correct course of action, the one you can talk about that doesn't get you banned, at least. If I subscribed to the non doomer view I would still be out there helping oil and gas companies produce as much oil as possible because hell, the UN and governments and markets are gonna figure this out, gotta keep society running in the meantime and that means oil! gently caress that.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

"indestructible chemicals" mean they don't react with anything. If it doesn't react with anything, it's generally safe to throw into the ocean.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
oil has very valuable uses at any price so we will probably never stop trying to suck it out of the earth.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i don’t react when i see 35 gigatons of co2 being thrown into the atmosphere every year, so maybe i should throw myself into the ocean

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Booourns posted:

commiegir very clearly gets mad whenever they see "cspam" posted in D&D in any context and it's pretty funny

In Soviet D&D, GIR does not sing Song of the Doom.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Marenghi posted:

Went to check in on the DD climate thread, they went quiet after COP but few posts since then.
What are they up to, oh cool they've discovered nature abhors a dome through the banner ad and seem to be realizing the scale of the problem.

Someone pointed them to this thread for more of that discussion and the mod wasn't happy.

LOL CommieGIR really is the pettiest, most egotistical shithead of a mod

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Cup Runneth Over posted:

sir we are in a forums war right now

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

reading the IPCC AR6 report front to back and claiming it’s the gospel truth is so missing the point of scientific enquiry and analysis it makes my head hurt

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

from the link above, interesting argument

https://dothemath.ucsd.edu/2021/11/caught-up-in-complexity/

quote:

Another common focus of how we might fix many of the world’s ills is redistributing the wealth of billionaires. But perversely, perhaps locking up the wealth without physical expression is doing more good than harm, in Earth’s eyes. If a multi-billionaire released, say, $30k each to 1 million people, we might expect 1 million car purchases, or the equivalent. Yet billionaires don’t have million-car garages. In general, because only a tiny sliver of energy and material resources go to the few billionaires (disproportionately small compared to their wealth), I would expect redistribution to result in a substantial increase in energy and material resource consumption: more fossil fuels; more CO2; more deforestation; more mining; more Amazon and back to billionaires! It’s a large part of what drives the appeal of redistribution: more access to “stuff” for the masses. What would the forests and animal kingdom want? Prioritizing people and their wants over ecosystems is a losing strategy, in the end.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Goddamn the dnd threat is insufferable

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Xaris posted:

Tim Murphy

quote:

The canvas is not unbounded, so adjust your painting ambitions accordingly, before applying the first stroke.

If a global population were capable of ethical decision-making, how much pollution would be ethically justified to build fully automated luxury gay space communism?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Jel Shaker posted:

reading the IPCC AR6 report front to back and claiming it’s the gospel truth is so missing the point of scientific enquiry and analysis it makes my head hurt

In the name of the author, and of the reviewer, and of the editor, amen.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

so the solution to climate change... is more billionaires??

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

it's not interesting. "what if we peacefully redistributed wealth without changing the system" real deep thoughts here

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Raine posted:

it's not interesting. "what if we peacefully redistributed wealth without changing the system" real deep thoughts here

Don't quote people on my ignore list tia

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

or you spend a trillion and give like $1000 to the bottom billion because one-time cash transfers of less than $500 have been consistently shown to have impacts that last years if given to poor people

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

that article is just another “markets can’t fix poo poo”.txt

Like you can give a bunch of money to poor people and ensure we don’t add a bunch of new cars by just banning cars.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

please quote every single post actionjackson makes in this thread

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Why you little

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

Mayor Dave posted:

Goddamn ... dnd ... is insufferable

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Doctor Jeep posted:

please quote every single post actionjackson makes in this thread

will do

perhaps I should have put "argument" in quotes

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Bad take. You forgot to mention that CGR is also incredibly stupid.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I read the D&D climate thread one time months ago and they were going on for pages about the search engine that plants trees when you search and figuring out how to set their browsers to default to that

I imagine if you post about the ice shelf that is collapsing or the heat records or whatever you just get banned?

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Pryor on Fire posted:

I read the D&D climate thread one time months ago and they were going on for pages about the search engine that plants trees when you search and figuring out how to set their browsers to default to that

I imagine if you post about the ice shelf that is collapsing or the heat records or whatever you just get banned?

yes also i hope that thread has a derail about that dumb wooden credit card next, it's somehow dumber than a search engine that buys tree planting credits on the blockchain or w/e

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
https://twitter.com/JonCampbellNY/status/1474008741070708746

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

lol

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Lol

Also love the av edit

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Pryor on Fire posted:

You can post about it just fine, but speculating that things are worse than the government summary reports say is doomerism. The adults are in office, y'see.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Oh good. More radioactive waste being spread everywhere.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

actionjackson posted:

from the link above, interesting argument
that was one in particularly i thought was stupid because if you give everyone 30k like a lot of that will just go to debts and back-rent, in practice.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Mr Hootington posted:

Oh good. More radioactive waste being spread everywhere.

I thought the Dems were the party of "don't let perfect be the enemy of good"?!?!

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I checked in with the D&D thread for the first time in a long time; it's incredible how bad the moderation is and how big of an inferiority complex they have about CSPAM

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Bring back cuomo

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
love learning new ways we gently caress the environment that aren't even directly climate change related

https://twitter.com/NOAAFisheries/status/1473744815112302601

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Do they not know billionaires?

Jerry Seinfeld and Jay Leno have massive underground garages packed with cars.

I was in college with a Saudi exchange student who imported brand new one of those dodge muscle cars. Costs a fortune to import and tax those inefficient American cars to Europe. When he finished his studies he just left it parked on the road until it got towed away.

Rich people do buy hundreds of cars and in some cases barely use them. The cost of emissions per mile driven must be through the roof for some rich people's cars considering the manufacturing emissions to make them.