Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Plutonis posted:

Not sure if that is the point of the laugh track but the Klingon Empire (which is pretty much like the Japanese Empire in which the Emperor is just a figurehead) was pretty much an exception, all other major Trek factions were Democratic (Federation), Parliamentary (Romulans, I guess the Q?), Stratocratic (Cardassians) or Ethnocratic (Dominion). Well, I guess there is the Mirror World Terrans and uhh the Borg?

Yeah that was p much the point, Star Trek isn't really a good example I just like that the Klingon Empire went hundreds of years without an emperor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Halloween Jack posted:

I assume a big part of the problem is that science fiction is, practically speaking, much broader than fantasy. Aficionados can talk for days about the differences between fantasy franchises, but I think that e.g. LOTR, the Rings, the Dying Earth, ASOIAF, The Witcher, Wheel of Time, Moorcock's Young Kingdoms, and several other franchises I could name have a lot in common. You could put a D&D style "adventuring party" in all of these settings and the players could have a certain set of expectations in place. Even within far future sci-fi, you can't go from like Dune to Foundation to the Forever War in the same way.

That said, there's a clear preference for three subgenres: over-the-top post-apocalypse, cyberpunk dystopia, and "space truckers wandering a cosmopolitan galaxy." But no franchise has dominated the market and served as the flagship RPG for sci-fi the way D&D continues to dominate fantasy. (Traveller did when there were few other options, but it was eventually overtaken by Star Wars.)

This is EXTREMELY imo and colored by the fact that I've been working TG retail for way too long, but I think a big part of it has to do with the overlap between RPGs and Wargames and how popular sci-fi wargames like 40k/infinity/etc are where you can kind of roleplay by association with your faction in those games. Plus the scale of fantasy melee/archery/magic/etc tends to visually/thematically make more sense on a map or a grid that you can fit on your kitchen table with your 25-30mm minis or tokens instead of the super massive factories/starships/etc you'd see in sci-fi.

I kind of compare D&D/fantasy RPGs continued popularity over sci-fi a bit analogous to why Space Marines are the most popular faction in 40k. They're the most popular thing in large part because of the extremely wide breadth of support and options available for you. And then, seeing that support and popularity, people use that as justification to focus on that to the exclusion of almost all else. Circular logic, but it certainly seems that way. I think that a lot of people who would otherwise prefer sci-fi products over fantasy see that the most popular sci-fi stuff tends to be over in the wargaming world rather than the RPG world and focus their efforts there for their sci-fi fix as well. I certainly did.

And even that aside, D&D having such a leg up in the cultural inertia of the roleplaying world means that people are more likely to try and see and therefore copy that style, since there really isn't a sci-fi analogue for D&Ds success out there. Most decent sci-fi RPGs aren't particularly old compared to D&D and so you've got 20+ extra years of inertia by means of products, 3rd party engagement, etc going on. It's much easier to randomly find a variety useable and appealing fantasy miniatures for a halfway decent price and the correct scale than a sci-fi equivalent. As well, the big breakthroughs in RPG streaming started with 4th edition D&D's Penny Arcade stuff and mostly stuck with D&D from there.

The way D&D has turned itself into a brand, first and foremost, means that the likelihood of a Sci-Fi RPG every getting into a similar space becomes less and less likely over time without a brand name to carry itself there.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Absurd Alhazred posted:

First of all: how have I not heard of this before?!

Second of all: Garth Marenghi's Darkspace.

Regrettably I must admit that a lot of the actual stories don't hold up well. I think there is an entire anthology of stories about how doctors sometimes have to hurt people to cure them. But you won't find a better book about an alien chef tackling the ultimate cooking challenge in any other series!

(The challenge is making hospital food taste good)

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I think you mean 10/10

:v:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Xiahou Dun posted:

Ultimate Hinterland.

“Second-to-Final Frontier” doesn’t have the same ring.

(Yes I’m being pedantic and I’m sorry but that’s a legitimately useful distinction to promote if you ever talk about ordering things.)
I very specifically chose penultimate because of that old "You can't have a final frontier!!!" canard I'm layers deeper than you here DON'T TRY TO STEP TO ME CHILD

Splicer fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Dec 24, 2021

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

habituallyred posted:

Regrettably I must admit that a lot of the actual stories don't hold up well. I think there is an entire anthology of stories about how doctors sometimes have to hurt people to cure them. But you won't find a better book about an alien chef tackling the ultimate cooking challenge in any other series!

(The challenge is making hospital food taste good)

Oh, well that's unfortunate.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

S.J. posted:

As well, the big breakthroughs in RPG streaming started with 4th edition D&D's Penny Arcade stuff and mostly stuck with D&D from there.

Was PA's stuff every really big? I remember them doing it, but I don't remember it more than one of their side projects.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Was PA's stuff every really big? I remember them doing it, but I don't remember it more than one of their side projects.

For the time? Sure. But in context today, no.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea it was easily the first among the 'mainstream' (as mainstream as nerd stuff like this gets at least) 'actual play' things, stuff like the PAX games used to be huge events and obviously Wizards knew that since they were fast to jump in bed.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

S.J. posted:

For the time? Sure. But in context today, no.

It was really a precursor of what we see today. They got big enough to start talking to Wizards directly, doing promotions and getting their own supplement.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Acquisition Inc. was a pretty big property within the PA media ecosystem, and that was big enough to spawn multiple conventions. It seemed like a huge deal to me.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

It absolutely was at the time because it was the first time an RPG publisher had teamed up with a big nerd brand at that kind of scale. It certainly didn't start out as big as things are today but it absolutely set the tone for what those kind of media packages went on to look like in the future.

Penny Arcade was hugely relevant in gaming at the time.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
It also was strangled in the crib by WotC iirc. Like they just shuttered it/stopped paying for it -and long before PA lost relevance*. WotC couldn't imagine RPGs as anything but extremely niche at the time, so didn't see a point in continuing that program. The same way they killed their in store outreach. There was a brief window where they were pushing for local stores to have d&d as big a thing as magic with organized play, but they only did like 2 seasons of that.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
The changeover to 5e is what killed off the original Acquisitions, Inc. They even ran that preview of 5e rules DMed by Mike Mearls that was flat. They started up a spinoff game in 5e eventually that is still going though.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Coolness Averted posted:

There was a brief window where they were pushing for local stores to have d&d as big a thing as magic with organized play, but they only did like 2 seasons of that.

In 5E? It's still going and was full-steam ahead on like Season 11 when COVID hit and it had to go basically full online.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Was it Mike Mearls or Chris Perkins who ran that utterly disastrous game for them in 5e where one of them started asking really basic game loop and balance questions and everything went to poo poo?

My memory is very vague and I think I’m conflating multiple examples of fuckery split between them.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Was it Mike Mearls or Chris Perkins who ran that utterly disastrous game for them in 5e where one of them started asking really basic game loop and balance questions and everything went to poo poo?

My memory is very vague and I think I’m conflating multiple examples of fuckery split between them.
That extremely sounds like it happened to Mearls but also...yeah the second sentence.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Xiahou Dun posted:

Mearls. Basically, and truthfully, 5e almost completely killed off Acquisitions, Inc as a thing. I doubt it would still be going the way it is if it weren't for the big D&D brand push that went alongside 5e.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Xiahou Dun posted:

I must've gotten bored of AI by then because I don't remember this at all. Kinda want to find it now.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

PerniciousKnid posted:

I must've gotten bored of AI by then because I don't remember this at all. Kinda want to find it now.

:same:

Any write ups or links?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Toshimo posted:

In 5E? It's still going and was full-steam ahead on like Season 11 when COVID hit and it had to go basically full online.

Nah 4e had one too, I think somewhere between 09 and 11.
According to my friends who ran a nerd store at the time it was hit or miss getting the materials from your WotC rep, and it may have had weird restrictions based on product flow like MtG. Or potentially even tied to MtG stuff. I'm recalling 2nd hand stuff from a decade ago now, so take that bits about the bad supply chain how you will.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
The other reason I'd still love a Sector General RPG is that the books are explicitly and angrily pacifist throughout - for a RPG that's pretty nice to see, and you could clearly treat combat as a failure situation.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
If you wanna get really out there for your SF space adventures, there's always Transit: The Spaceship RPG, where every PC is an AI and their bodies are starships crewed by filthy biologicals.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Mirage posted:

If you wanna get really out there for your SF space adventures, there's always Transit: The Spaceship RPG, where every PC is an AI and their bodies are starships crewed by filthy biologicals.

I didn't until I read this.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Xiahou Dun posted:

I do know it opened with one of them saying their favourite thing about 4e is how their Avenger and healers in general could kick rear end and heal at the same time and asking how they were handling that in 5e and Mearls just absolutely BSODing live on camera.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Acq Inc is still going, still a big deal at PAXes, and still draws enough of an audience that they were able to do a spinoff series - Acquisitions Inc: The C-Team - which ran for several years and reached its natural conclusion only a few weeks ago. It is also cursed to have its convention games run by WotC DMs who indulge in the worst kind of D&D brain-poisoned nonsense. My favorite example: Chris Perkins ran an adventure that started with the PCs needing to fly to the location on dragonback required that each PC make skill checks to get aboard the dragon. Failure ensued, because of course it did, and momentum ground to a screeching loving halt. At no point did it occur to Perkins that they could just be competent enough to do this so that the strictly time-limited live con game could proceed. God I hate Chris Perkins.

Acq Inc: The C-Team has its own issues, namely wild tonal inconsistency and a DM who admits that the campaign is his novel, with all that entails, but it's also weirdly compelling. The myconid episode is... astonishing, and is the sort of thing you can only get at a table that practically shares a mind meld already. I have a pretty low tolerance for goofs, but I happily sat through a lot of goofy nonsense for those moments of brilliance. People with a higher goof tolerance will probably get even more out of it.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I could have sworn Acq Inc. got a 4E supplement, but all I can find is the 5E one. Did I imagine it?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
There was a 4E character optimisation advice supplement that had a cover illustrated by the PA guys, which is probably what you're thinking about.

e;

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Dec 25, 2021

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Merry Christmas, ya goddamn needs!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Two gifts in and I got Avocado Smash! and Smile games

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Mirage posted:

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I didn't until I read this.

I've played a Transit campaign and i think I'm one of the few. I'm very proud that I made a berserker spaceship (combat AI, corvette chassis: combat ai has an upgrade that adds your maneuverability to your armor, 4 armor is disgusting in AW, ramming attacks are 4AP damage to both combatants but if you 10+ it loses AP so I could ram safely as I got up to +4 on ramming attacks. I was very very bad at diplomacy though).

It's cool but the rules are a little rough. I'd recommend pushing people to switch ships more often, maybe remove the chance of permadeath on ship destruction, that felt like a harder to use mechanic than necessary. If I played it again (I might! ) I think I'd randomize player ships each session.

xiw posted:

The other reason I'd still love a Sector General RPG is that the books are explicitly and angrily pacifist throughout - for a RPG that's pretty nice to see, and you could clearly treat combat as a failure situation.

This sounds like such a good idea

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Here's a pic of my cat Little Rough & Tumble modeling a d4 I got from a dice advent calendar :)

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Splicer posted:

I do know it opened with one of them saying their favourite thing about 4e is how their Avenger and healers in general could kick rear end and heal at the same time and asking how they were handling that in 5e and Mearls just absolutely BSODing live on camera.

By the end of it the PVP guy Scott Kurtz was so disillusioned and bored that he was just silently drawing his dwarf character without looking up.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Siivola posted:

I could have sworn Acq Inc. got a 4E supplement, but all I can find is the 5E one. Did I imagine it?

I believe the characters got statted up/blocks along with illustrations in Dragon or Dungeon Magazine.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Xiahou Dun posted:

Splicer posted:

Does anyone here have the link to this video? I'm interested in watching, for research purposes.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Is that the same demo adventure Mearls hosed up by starting with a perception check to notice a hidden door that everyone failed so stuff ground to a halt immediately? I believe the stream I'm talking about was the 2nd test packet for NEXT.
It'd be kinda funny if Mearls repeatedly hosed up streamed promos for the game but they kept sending him out there instead of someone who could run (or design) a good game.

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Dec 26, 2021

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Coolness Averted posted:

Is that the same demo adventure Mearls hosed up by starting with a perception check to notice a hidden door that everyone failed so stuff ground to a halt immediately? I believe the stream I'm talking about was the 2nd test packet for NEXT.
It'd be kinda funny if Mearls repeatedly hosed up streamed promos for the game but they kept sending him out there instead of someone who could (or design) a good game.
No, that was a completely different livestreamed failure. Which IIRC has been utterly scrubbed from the internet.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
iirc he also pissed his pants during that video and his parents were there and were insulting him

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Libertad! posted:

Does anyone here have the link to this video? I'm interested in watching, for research purposes.
The video seems to be dead but here's the audio. It was a cleric, not an Avenger. BSOD starts at about 22:45

http://media.wizards.com/podcasts/PAPVP_Next1.mp3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Coolness Averted posted:

It'd be kinda funny if Mearls repeatedly hosed up streamed promos for the game but they kept sending him out there instead of someone who could run (or design) a good game.

Splicer posted:

No, that was a completely different livestreamed failure. Which IIRC has been utterly scrubbed from the internet.
I was wrong, it's just not on their site anymore. I can't find the perception bit (or rather I stopped listening because I finished the dishes) but here's it timestamped to around the start of the hilarious ghoul fight where half the party just sits around paralysed while Mearls tries to avoid TPKing their first livestream while everyone TotM's themselves into utter confusion about how many ghouls there are.
https://youtu.be/K_2iyvdF_qo?t=5600

He may have pissed his pants while this was happening it's hard to tell.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Dec 26, 2021