Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Hexmage-SA posted:

Just finished Centaurworld. The whole show was bonkers and the finale was crazier than anything I could have imagined. I know the story is wrapped up but I can't help but wonder what other stories could be done in this setting.

Imo season 2 was a step down from season 1.

Except for the finale holy poo poo that was good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

SirSamVimes posted:

This is pretty much my take on it. There was a whole lot of wheel spinning in season 2. The songs weren't nearly as good. And the fandom episode, especially, was straight up cringe. But the finale was bonkers good.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

SirSamVimes posted:

I thought for a minute that they'd merge Horse and Rider into a centaur in order to save Rider's life.

Glad they didn't need to do that.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Beachcomber posted:

I thought for a minute that they'd merge Horse and Rider into a centaur in order to save Rider's life.

Glad they didn't need to do that.

I do wish Horse's tears had healed Rider or something like that. The thing is Rider's "death" was an incredible moment and it kinda felt cheap to just go "actually she's alive" two seconds later with no explanation, but I wouldn't want her to die for real either cause this heartwarming ending was perfect for the show

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The co-creator of the Masters of the Universe franchise has passed away as well:

https://toybook.com/masters-of-the-universe-designer-mark-taylor-has-died/

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

So, Hilda and the Mountain King. I know that the next season will be the last, but the sort of truce between the Trolls and the people of Trolberg—not to mention the retirement of Erik Ahlberg—seems like it’s the end of kind of a major story arc, so what’s left?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Hilda finished adapting the books halfway through S2 so who's to say.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Mountain King is an adaptation too.

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008
I just finished watching the second season of amphibia and it was awesome! Are they really ending the series after season 3?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

papasyhotcakes posted:

I just finished watching the second season of amphibia and it was awesome! Are they really ending the series after season 3?

Most likely. I mean, Braly has said he's always planned it as a 3 book show. I don't recall it ever being officially canceled so I suppose theoretically if they got greenlit for another season they could just drag the plot out, after all the show has plenty of episodes that are just one offs that don't ultimately go anywhere plot-wise, but I extremely doubt the odds of that happening.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh poo poo I didn’t realise the Hilda special would be a whole-rear end movie this is very exciting

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Currently watching "The Test" episode of Gumball and holy gently caress I've never laughed so hard at a kids show.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
There's a new episode of The Merrie History of Looney Tunes out, covering the 50's through the mid-60's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qYgqou_Fjo

The whole series is well worth a watch imo

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Heh, that clip of "Sidney's Family Tree" in the beginning was transferred from my 16mm CinemaScope print! Gene Deitch (RIP) found out I own a bunch of his Terrytoons shorts in CinemaScope and paid to have them digitized in the original ratio (the only copies he had were pan-and-scan).

You might remember a "Tiny Toon" episode where Bugs was kidnapped by a jealous elephant over his Oscar win on "Knighty Knight Bugs". That elephant was based on Sidney the elephant, referring to how his short lost to the Bugs cartoon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFxCiAvZam8

I love these videos. Good analysis of the final years of the original studio. I do remember watching "Gay Pur-ee" on Cartoon Network years ago. It's an interesting movie and nicely done, although I don't think it was worth it for Chuck Jones to lose his job at Warner's.

I interviewed David H. DePatie a couple of times (DePatie's "Warner Brat" label came from one of those interviews). He was diplomatic about it, but I did get the feeling he and Chuck Jones didn't get along (I mean, he was the one who fired him over the "Gay Pur-ee" thing, for starters). I never asked him about Jones' firing, although I did get a sense of catharsis when he talked about how DePatie-Freleng (a studio he started with Friz Freleng) took over producing the Dr. Seuss specials from Jones. Evidently Jones and Seuss didn't get along, something confirmed by other artists who worked on those specials. Seuss preferred "Grinch Night" over the Christmas special, believe it or not.

DePatie also stated outright that McKimson was at the bottom of the totem pole among the three directors. Ironically, McKimson was the last man standing of the directors on the original LT, directing the final shorts (something Kaiser will undoubtedly go into details in the next vid).

Mister Beeg fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jan 8, 2022

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I can see why Seuss liked Grinch Night better, it's nowhere as beautifully animated as HTGSC but it probably captures the Seuss brand/style better in other respects

Also the whole Paraphernalia Wagon sequence is one of the trippiest things ever made in Animation so definitely worth digging the special up on YouTube if you haven't seen it before

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
I love Chuck Jones's cartoons, but at the same time, he was definitely the most pretentious of the major directors at Warner's. Kaiser did a good job explaining his strengths and weaknesses in this video and the previous one.

I wish he went into detail on other TV productions the Warner studio did, like the animation sequences they did for Bell Science Theater. Also, Phil Monroe was a director at Warner's because he directed much of the commercials that didn't feature the Looney Tunes cast. He was technically the 4th unit (after Jones, Freleng, and McKimson), although he didn't have his own animators, instead using Jones's and Freleng's animators when they wern't busy with the shorts. When Jones got fired, Monroe was tasked with completing the remaining shorts in his unit.

But I get he's focusing on LT specifically. He only mentioned "Private Snafu" in passing in the 1940s video, too

One of the commercials Phil Monroe directed at Warner Bros:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axAN5mhFiZU

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Binged watched all of Centaurworld in the last week and a half. Holy poo poo, was that phenomenal. I haven't fallen in love with a show like this since Gravity Falls (or been so sad to finish).

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

gandlethorpe posted:

Binged watched all of Centaurworld in the last week and a half. Holy poo poo, was that phenomenal. I haven't fallen in love with a show like this since Gravity Falls (or been so sad to finish).
I fell in love with Centaurworld watching the first season, great story/songs. Season 2, for me, was a disaster. I didn’t like a single song in the second season and the story spun its wheels until the mid/end. Wasn’t really a fan of how it changed quality, but I’ll always have that first season to rewatch.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
Yeah season 2 seems like two seasons rushed for one and it’s a shame because the whole backstory of the Nowhere King is so drat good

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Maybe I had a different experience due to watching it all together, but I didn't notice much of a shift in S2. To me it felt like a pretty natural progression to immediately start rallying for war. My biggest issue was that Comfortable Doug showed up a bit too often. I'd say it could've used a couple episodes to bring it in line with S1, but the last episode kind of made up for that. And I like that the series was light on filler.

Musicwise, I didn't find songs from S1 that earwormy to begin with, except for the recurring themes. I kind of accepted early on that it wasn't all gonna be Disney-style songwriting and much more Into The Woods-y.

I read a lot of harsh words for the birdtaur episode, but that was one of my favorites, lol. I love when shows take a piss on fanbases.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

gandlethorpe posted:

I read a lot of harsh words for the birdtaur episode, but that was one of my favorites, lol. I love when shows take a piss on fanbases.

I too love it when shows take the piss out of fandom. But even I found that episode boring and cringey. It just wasn't a good story, and the references/analogues were a bit too on-the-nose and dating.

That said, I wasn't really into the gimmick of Comfortable Doug in S1, but cranking it up to 11 in S2 is somehow what turned me around on the tooniest of the toon characters in the show.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

The Becky Apples/Jeffica hate song was the best original of S2, followed by the Trash-taur segment from the Hootenanny.

S1's music was much stronger overall since it flexed its muscles with a bunch of different distinct genres and styles.
Outside of the movie-length finale, it did feel rushed and went from a full-on musical to a cartoon that happened to have songs every now and then.

I might be a simple man but I prefer my clever rhymes and didn't care for the songs that were mostly just sing-talking. Though not as bad, the disappointment reminded me of when I once thought "the main song from Phantom of the Opera is pretty good, maybe the rest is good too" and lol no

That said, S2 was only a disappointment (again, until the finale pops off) compared to S1. It was still better than Kipo or Owl House or whatever and totally worth watching and celebrating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0ha4NPV8fs (from Netflix's official youtube)

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
Someone mentioned it earlier in this thread, but Season 2 was really missing its Taurnado. That was the song that got me totally hooked, with its creepy harmonics and it's just a cool song overall. Wasn't really anything like that in Season 2. I wish some of the Nowhere King's songs from the last episode were fleshed out instead of being so short.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I also need like eight more verses about being a Rift Worker.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Breath In A Bag was real good imo.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/disneyplus/status/1482034776349495296

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

It looks like the entire cast is coming back. That seals the deal, I will absolutely be watching the gently caress out of this with the kids, because I adored The
Proud Family
way back when and have rewatched it 3 times with them now. :neckbeard:

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Everyone except Orlando Brown who has sadly had mental health issues the past few years.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Loving this backstory to Centaurworld:

quote:

The whole [story] is based on me going into high school, getting ready to take all these AP classes and then ending up in a show choir because the only available extracurricular was show choir.”

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I finished revisiting an old show from when I was a kid, and it's really weird so I feel compelled to post.

The Big Boy and Rusty the Boy Robot was a show that was made by the people who were also behind Extreme Ghostbusters, Jackie Chan Adventures, Godzilla the Series, and Men in Black the series. A lot of shows that had similar aesthetic styles of realistic designs and muted colors.

It stars these two robots, one a big guy with kind of a retro-future aesthetic, and the other basically a knock-off Astroboy. I think their dynamic is meant to evoke like the Fat Man and Little Boy atomic bombs, and Big Guy does throw around WW2-style bombs a lot. They fight various threats, mostly giant monsters. There's a whole thing where Big Guy apparently had a longer history of defending America and Rusty is a newer robot that really looks up to him and aspires to be like Big Guy. Only thing is, Big Guy wasn't actually artificially intelligent, that was just a thing they told everybody for propaganda purposes, Big guy is actually piloted by a human, voiced by Jim Hanks, and Rusty doesn't know and thinks Big Guy is just like him, and people do their best to not let him in on the truth.

The whole thing is very militaristic, often kind of a satire of the military industrial complex. Everything Big Guy says is like it's out of a propaganda reel. Some episodes actually reveal something's gone wrong with Big Guy when he gets slightly less patriotic, and there is one episode that involves having to correct history when a time-travel incident makes the American Revolution fail, and without the American military industrial complex, Earth is left vulnerable to be conquered by aliens. It's really something. It's a big example of immediately pre-9/11 views on the American military. Very immediately, the show ran from September, 1999 to March, 2001. Just a weird point in history right before a whole lot of national opinions changed. The distributor of the show even folded on October 25, 2001.

Rusty, as the dumb young kid character is often annoying, but there's a weirdness to it, kind of like he's intentionally uncanny valley, and not quite properly sentient. There's an episode where some alien robots trying to act organic show up, and Rusty just laughs at them because he doesn't want to be human at all. All the other characters are mature adults, like Dr. Slate, Rusty's creator and top scientist on the show, or Donavan, the moneygrabbing CEO of the company that made Rusty, and his talking monkey. When Rusty's not around, it really doesn't seem like much of a kids' show at all, and even when he is around it sometimes gets weirdly mature. Dr. Slate and Big Guy's pilot have an interesting relationship. The show can also get pretty intense, I think some people die onscreen, and there definitely are some scenes of robots getting torn apart in a way that's almost gory.

I think there's a lot of references on the show that I don't get, but at least I caught some Dr. Strangelove when Big Guy rides a missile. There's even an apparent pre-reference like the AI gone rogue named EDI who threatens to blow up the moon. The plots can get pretty weird, like when a scientist played by Tim Curry mutates into a giant brain-eating spider or when and underground race of lava men plan to invade the surface world. The longest overarching villains are the Legion ex Machina, a shadowy cabal of androids played by Clancy Brown, Clancy Brown, Clancy Brown, Dean Haglund, Clancy Brown, and Clancy Brown.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I think Big Guy was a Frank Miller joint on some level, which probably explains some of its... Idiosyncratic politics.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Big Guy and Rusty was originally a comic by Frank Miller, which explains the pro military undertones. It’s very much an homage to post WW2 American might mixed with Astro Boy and Godzilla.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
If nothing else the idea of a sentient robot who has literally no desire to become human is fantastic and needs to be used more.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The series also ended on a cliffhanger iirc

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Didn't really seem like a cliffhanger to me. The Clancy Browns had their last scheme to eliminate the Big Guy directly, and in the process finally get defeated and Rusty really shows how well he can work on his own without needing Big Guy to chaperone him. There's a plothook left by their creator that there's one more robot out there somewhere, but it's not like there was much buildup beyond that.

I think the final few episodes are actually really good compared to how rough some of the beginning was, so it could've gone longer, but man it would've been weird after 9/11.

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

Big Guy and Rusty was originally a comic by Frank Miller, which explains the pro military undertones. It’s very much an homage to post WW2 American might mixed with Astro Boy and Godzilla.

It was specifically, two issues of a comic and a couple cameos, so I'd honestly say that a lot of the show might count as just original. Looking at the shows that the company and the crew worked on before, especially MIB, they really seem like they were chasing some kind of more mature audience that may or may not have materialized, or even if there was one there but it dissolved over time. I imagine there was a delicate balance.

There's also a Starship Troopers CGI cartoon listed that they worked on, and I have no clue where or whether that ever aired. It got cancelled pretty fast.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

SlothfulCobra posted:

Didn't really seem like a cliffhanger to me. The Clancy Browns had their last scheme to eliminate the Big Guy directly, and in the process finally get defeated and Rusty really shows how well he can work on his own without needing Big Guy to chaperone him. There's a plothook left by their creator that there's one more robot out there somewhere, but it's not like there was much buildup beyond that.

I think the final few episodes are actually really good compared to how rough some of the beginning was, so it could've gone longer, but man it would've been weird after 9/11.

It was specifically, two issues of a comic and a couple cameos, so I'd honestly say that a lot of the show might count as just original. Looking at the shows that the company and the crew worked on before, especially MIB, they really seem like they were chasing some kind of more mature audience that may or may not have materialized, or even if there was one there but it dissolved over time. I imagine there was a delicate balance.

There's also a Starship Troopers CGI cartoon listed that they worked on, and I have no clue where or whether that ever aired. It got cancelled pretty fast.

Adelaide Productions probably has one of the best track records of any TV animation studio I can think of, most of their shows were really good and it's a shame that they just petered out for no apparent reason back around 2009

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I've been rewatching Gravity Falls and god drat this show is good.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

readingatwork posted:

If nothing else the idea of a sentient robot who has literally no desire to become human is fantastic and needs to be used more.

Does remind me that in the long, long run of the original Astro Boy, this is something they actually explored once or twice iirc. Astro gets some upgrades that let him function much more like a human, and he's interested at first, but then experiences things like pain and fear that he really isn't prepared for. He ends up deciding he'd rather try to be the best robot he can be than imitate a human and have the worst of both worlds.

I've read a bit about that show, also apparently one episode where they fight a robot based on Big Guy's blueprints- the typical 'prototype vs production model' fight, with a twist that where Big Guy differs from those blueprints is key.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

You mean Roughnecks? I think that went to Sci-Fi as it's a BKN Joint.