Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

"Tired of Star Trek" is what Berman and Paramount were saying, the real underlying issue was that years of really lazy writing on Voyager put the franchise in a bad place. If Voyager had been a better show then maybe Enterprise could have gotten away with being what it was.

Yeah, "franchise fatigue" was the excuse Berman gave for Enterprise's plummeting ratings and Nemesis going over about as well as a wet fart in the middle of church. It was bullshit.

People weren't tired of Star Trek. They were tired of lovely Trek.

gormless goblin
Sep 16, 2021

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’m sure at some point Gene answered this with a ten page essay about how Romulans gently caress constantly and that’s why Pon Farr only hits Vulcans.

Can some historian please tell us how many fanfictions there are about painful Romulan pon farr and the wonderful resulting boners

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Tighclops posted:

I think it's more likely that Enterprise was the last newest piece of material they bothered looking up and that's why there are references to it all the time now

Ah, so the same reason Nemesis was so prominent in PIC.

It's the writers who are bad.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm just sad the NX-01 snow globe didn't have a little free-hovering realistic looking NX-01 with spinning nacelle caps I mean how cheap can you be when you have magic matter.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Programmable matter is like replicators on crack. I kinda feel like the writers are not imaginative enough to realize the level of duex machina they actually unleased.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Axe-man posted:

Programmable matter is like replicators on crack. I kinda feel like the writers are not imaginative enough to realize the level of duex machina they actually unleased.

The biggest issue is how omnipresently visible it should be and there should be programmable matter FX in the background of basically every single shot in various mundane uses but they can't do that for cost reasons.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

MikeJF posted:

The biggest issue is how omnipresently visible it should be and there should be programmable matter FX in the background of basically every single shot in various mundane uses but they can't do that for cost reasons.

Detmer, Owo and Rhys are on screen a lot what are you talking about?

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Discovery crew replaced with programmable matter to no longer distract from main character.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Axe-man posted:

Discovery crew replaced with programmable matter to no longer distract from main character.

Discovery crew reprogrammed by programmable matter to just me made up solely of Michaels Burnham.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Axe-man posted:

That would be a hell of a finale. The Big Bad is defeated, the future Federation is unified, and Discovery found a way to get home without disrupting the timeline.

Michael beams, standing before the bridge with tears in her eyes. "We did it. Together, us, with the power of teamwork and love and the spirit of the Federation, we did it."

Tilly smiles tightly, and melts away into cubes of programmable matter as Michael watches in horror. One by one, the rest of the bridge crew join Tilly's fate, until Michael is left alone on a giant bridge, camera spinning wildly.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

There was a GI Joe episode that ended with loving melting replicants and it shattered my child mind

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Drone posted:

Ah, so the same reason Nemesis was so prominent in PIC.

It's the writers who are bad.

Occasionally I'll read the TVIV modern trek thread to see if there's any good news and read reasonable discussion about whatever's going on

is there a german word for feeling vindicated somewhat but mostly very sad? Because that's always how it makes me feel

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Schadenfreude.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Tighclops posted:

Occasionally I'll read the TVIV modern trek thread to see if there's any good news and read reasonable discussion about whatever's going on

is there a german word for feeling vindicated somewhat but mostly very sad? Because that's always how it makes me feel
Discovery in particular has become very boring this season. Like say what you will about last season, but things were actually happening, even if they were dumb

gormless goblin
Sep 16, 2021

One indicator that I was probably a bit out of touch and that most people have moved on was that I was actually surprised that Memory Alpha hadn't had a civil war and kicked new trek content onto Memory Beta

Also all this talk about Lower Decks the cartoon has reminded me that I bought The Animated Series on DVD years ago and never watched it.. gotta dust that sucker off..

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

LD makes a LOT of references to TAS.

gormless goblin
Sep 16, 2021

What we really needed but will never get is a Sealab 2021/Space Ghost Coast to Coast-style appropriation of the TAS assets. Star Trek: The Re-Animated Series. Kirk is back as fifth Captain of the Enterprise (investigations and potential court martial suspended for the time being), and Spock is getting reaaally into jazz - like way more than T'pol ever was. Bones is done telling us the things he isn't and he's branching out his career in a major way.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

gormless goblin posted:

What we really needed but will never get is a Sealab 2021/Space Ghost Coast to Coast-style appropriation of the TAS assets. Star Trek: The Re-Animated Series. Kirk is back as fifth Captain of the Enterprise (investigations and potential court martial suspended for the time being), and Spock is getting reaaally into jazz - like way more than T'pol ever was. Bones is done telling us the things he isn't and he's branching out his career in a major way.
The Bebop Cola episode but with Spock

gormless goblin
Sep 16, 2021

What are ya' making, a necklace?!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Do you want the mirror universe goatee on or off?

Too bad.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

gormless goblin posted:

One indicator that I was probably a bit out of touch and that most people have moved on was that I was actually surprised that Memory Alpha hadn't had a civil war and kicked new trek content onto Memory Beta

When the big maximum effort Star Trek conversion mod for Stellaris started incorporating Discovery and Picard content like it ain't no thang I knew I'd officially become (even more of) a curmudgeonly bastard.

And I can live with it. I can live with it.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

McSpanky posted:

When the big maximum effort Star Trek conversion mod for Stellaris started incorporating Discovery and Picard content like it ain't no thang I knew I'd officially become (even more of) a curmudgeonly bastard.

And I can live with it. I can live with it.

:stonk: why would you even want to if you don't have to? Discovery and Picard's new ships are hideous, they aren't even cool!!! :psyduck:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I don't remember any of the ships showing up, but you can build spore drives as the Federation which makes warp completely pointless, even though Stellaris jump drives have a distance limit.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't remember any of the ships showing up, but you can build spore drives as the Federation which makes warp completely pointless, even though Stellaris jump drives have a distance limit.

It's to boldy go, not just teleport everywhere willy nilly! :argh:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

gormless goblin posted:

Spock:  Robot body?  No way!  That goes against the natural order.

Kirk:  Well, you'd have the strength of five men.

Spock:  I got that now!

Sulu:  Not five men, five Mugatos!  But, since you're that strong, if you try to pet a tribble, you'd crush it.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
All Star Trek is leaving Prime Video (in the US) and Hulu in January.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Winifred Madgers posted:

Sulu:  Not five men, five Mugatos!  But, since you're that strong, if you try to pet a tribble, you'd crush it.

Oh no! Poor tribble! :smith:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

CPColin posted:

Do you want the mirror universe goatee on or off?

Too bad.

I appreciate this reference.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Edward Mass posted:

All Star Trek is leaving Prime Video (in the US) and Hulu in January.

And thusly to the high seas will I sail, for Paramount+ will never be my port of call

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Winifred Madgers posted:

Mirror Chekov: I'm Mirror Chekov!

Chekov: I'm regular Chekov!

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Shut up and give Chekov some sex!

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

McSpanky posted:

And thusly to the high seas will I sail, for Paramount+ will never be my port of call

Yeah it's nice of them to give me a deadline for setting up a home media center

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

gormless goblin posted:

Also all this talk about Lower Decks the cartoon has reminded me that I bought The Animated Series on DVD years ago and never watched it.. gotta dust that sucker off..

Memory Beta's existence is especially humorous now given that recently Dayton Ward literally bulldozed the entire extended novelverse in an apparent fit of rage

quote:

The only solution that can stop the Devidians from moving on to collapse more stable timelines, including the Prime Timeline, is to completely undo the creation of this universe, called “The First Splinter.” That’s right: the entire novelverse timeline isn’t just destroyed, but is completely erased before it can even form, in a choice that even JJ Abrams and the Kelvin Timeline film team declined to make when they rebooted the franchise back in 2009.

With the close of Coda, the authors now definitively state that because of the actions of this tale, the First Splinter timeline ceases to ever be created — and that every single event you’ve read about in those books, and every character moment you’ve followed along the way, explicitly never happened.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Wow, that's some "taking my ball and going home" energy right there.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Well that's sure a decision. Thanks so much.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Cross-Section posted:

quote:

With the close of Coda, the authors now definitively state that because of the actions of this tale, the First Splinter timeline ceases to ever be created — and that every single event you’ve read about in those books, and every character moment you’ve followed along the way, explicitly never happened.

I mean, spoiler alert, it's fiction, all of Star Trek explicitly never happened.

I know that's not the point but the way that is phrased really stuck out to me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Reminder that if you are a t-mobile customer on a postpaid plan, you can get a year of Paramount+ for free.

Also, just buy the older series at this point, they are always going on sale.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Don't pay money for Star Trek when you can just steal it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Eh, this isn't quite a fair characterization. Once CBS decided to go ahead with Picard, then Ward, Mack, et al. were told by Beyer that there wouldn't be any further Star Trek books commissioned that weren't part of the new continuity, so the novelverse was effectively dead then and there; they weren't going to pay for anything that wasn't in support of the shows they were currently airing. It was either "write a definitive conclusion to the novelverse" or "leave everything hanging and hope, years down the line, for the small chance you're allowed to pick it back up."

And, personally, I now do think the latter would have been a better choice! I read Coda and, while there were some satisfying bits and neat moments, it is in large part depressingly hopeless. I'm not going to pretend the novelverse was close to perfect; it's sci-fi tie-in paperbacks, the fact that there was any good to it at all was remarkable. I was glad when I heard it was getting a conclusion after, effectively, four years of silence. But I didn't think it would be so bleak and mean, and if this is what we were getting, it would have been better to get nothing at all.