Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

DogsInSpace! posted:

Always liked him. Was hoping he would have a nice Triinal run somewhere but turns out his late career highlights we’re gonna be fighting Lucha House Party forever on a show 5 people watch and training Eva Marie. All sad everything.

There was like a 10 month gap on 205 live where some grumpy white guy was wrestling the lucha house party because the mexicans were having too much fun

Zombie Lemur posted:

Kendrick plan
NXT needs faces

Man the men's division is heel heavy, I didnt realize. Carmelo was a face on the debut episode and him AND Trick turned heel on another heel. Also Wagner turned to feud with AEW's Kyle O'Reilly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

still lolling at nxt being the developmental brand for AEW

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

Quantum of Phallus posted:

still lolling at nxt being the developmental brand for AEW

well hey if you got called up in 2015/2016 like Corbin and Owens you're in a good spot. Sami bout to get paaaaaaid when he resigns while still being able to tweet gently caress saudi arabia.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Eagerly awaiting the day Rex Steiner walks into AEW and truly becomes the best

gently caress, now I want to see Rex Steiner vs. HOOK

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

HHH is dead, bring in Paul London.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Destroy My Sweater posted:

HHH is dead, bring in Paul London.

They lost Paul Triple HHH and Tall Paul in the same year, they have no other choice.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

ozymandius1024 posted:

How is the median age 64? :psyduck:

Is it really people that leave the TV after Law and Order re-runs?

Having been home for the holiday's with people in their 70's... their way of watching TV is totally different than the younger generation.

It just blows my mind.

Evening comes, they sit down and turn on the TV, and literally just channel surf until they find something that mildly interests them. Random old episode of Gray's Anatomy that they missed the first 15 minutes of? Sure, why not. Some random movie that already started, the first 10 minutes of which is spent arguing about if either of them have watched it before? That's what we're watching tonight I guess!

Meanwhile, I'm like... there are these 10 movies on my Plex server that are rated well. We can login and start watching one right now. No.... okay, well I suppose we'll just watch the free HGTV app to watch an episode of Flip or Flop, which I swear airs about 5 minutes of the show followed by 3 minutes of commercial breaks.

This is an acceptable way to watch TV apparently.

I have so much On Demand content to watch queued up on several services that the need to channel surf never even comes up. Why would I watch random garbage when I can pick from a dozen different things I know are great?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Astro7x posted:

Having been home for the holiday's with people in their 70's... their way of watching TV is totally different than the younger generation.

It just blows my mind.

Evening comes, they sit down and turn on the TV, and literally just channel surf until they find something that mildly interests them. Random old episode of Gray's Anatomy that they missed the first 15 minutes of? Sure, why not. Some random movie that already started, the first 10 minutes of which is spent arguing about if either of them have watched it before? That's what we're watching tonight I guess!

Meanwhile, I'm like... there are these 10 movies on my Plex server that are rated well. We can login and start watching one right now. No.... okay, well I suppose we'll just watch the free HGTV app to watch an episode of Flip or Flop, which I swear airs about 5 minutes of the show followed by 3 minutes of commercial breaks.

This is an acceptable way to watch TV apparently.

I have so much On Demand content to watch queued up on several services that the need to channel surf never even comes up. Why would I watch random garbage when I can pick from a dozen different things I know are great?

Because instead of spending time organizing simple entertainment and relying on other people's opinions to see if something is "well reviewed" you can pull out the old clicker and browse entertainment as it unfolds on your TV. Then at 7 o'clock you can put on SVU or NCIS and then hang out on the USA Network for your favorites on NXT 2.0.

Entertainment isn't some chore that requires extensive planning. You just sit there, relax and enjoy the Poker Guy and the Italian Guy.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

also, the non-streaming Olds, at least in my experience, are inclined to just have the TV on no matter where they are in the house; I'm wondering how many "viewers" for NXT 2.0 are actually Pop-Pop two rooms over in the kitchen listening to the latest Mark Levin show on his radio

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

they're all just cable boxes in a warehouse in suburban orlando. nielsens are fake

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Alaois posted:

so i was curious and also looked this up, Tehuti Miles is the same guy as Ashante Thee Adonis and I just assumed oh okay, so Kendrick beat him and then he got a new gimmick and he beat Kendrick, but no

I knew Tehuti Miles had been repackaged but for some reason I was convinced that Ashante was Denzel Dejournette and Tehuti was a manifestation of Noah Kekoa/Kona Reeves, even though the timeline doesn't line up and all of this is to say that a combination of latent racism and not having watched any of these people outside of old Evolve shows and NXT clips has led to me making an inaccurate list.

So the new list (with bonus 21-30) of Brian Kendrick's opponents is:

20. Tyler Bate
21. Drew Gulak
22. Cody Devine
23. Cedric Alexander
24. Kalisto
25. Gran Metalik
26. Lince Dorado
27. Hideo Itami
28. Kevin DeTiberius
29. Vinny Scalice
30. Rich Swann

Kendrick continues to catch a lot of bodies

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

D.N. Nation posted:

also, the non-streaming Olds, at least in my experience, are inclined to just have the TV on no matter where they are in the house; I'm wondering how many "viewers" for NXT 2.0 are actually Pop-Pop two rooms over in the kitchen listening to the latest Mark Levin show on his radio

I'm genuinely curious to know how much of NXT's viewership has it on mute. That's the one thing I always see in every senior's house - a TV somewhere in the house, on mute, all day.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm kinda old so you know, I developed my habits in a non-streaming time. But I dunno. Sometimes I just wanna channel surf. Sometimes I don't want to watch some highly rated movie or show I've been binging, I just wanna watch whatever's on. Easy, casual, whatever. And I leave it on while I'm doing chores and stuff because I don't like silence and it gives me a small distraction but not a big enough one that I get pulled in.

And like that's probably why Netflix now has a random watch option. And I still kind of wish there was an option for me to just put 5-10 shows in a CD mixer and just have them come up at random like in my own syndication.

Oh crap, "CD mixer". I gave away my oldness again.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Dec 23, 2021

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

I'm 39 and only cut the cord in 2020, so I do get the appeal of just mindlessly flipping; doing that on a streaming service requires more drilldowns and knowing where you're going.

Story time: years ago I was at a wedding in the middle of the countryside, and they had a big party bus take everyone from the service at a church to the reception on a farm. Party bus had a TV on it. Some retirees were the first onboard and commandeered the TV, and sure enough- flip flip flip flip flip, right into the adult section of the channels and they somehow couldn't get out again. HUH? WHAT'S THAT SAY? NURSES? WE GOTTA ORDER THIS CHANNEL? DO-WHAAAA? A-WAYUULLP! anyway those are your NXT viewers these days

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

I dumped cable in 2016 and never looked back, I only held on for so long because I liked watching the EPL during weekend mornings.

The fact that you can catch official highlights/recaps and match finishes on Reddit immediately after they happen probably has also had some significant impact on TV viewership. I understand why they recap the shows on YouTube and they absolutely should. I believe AEW staggers their recaps and NXT clips never showed finishes when it was on the network.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

D.N. Nation posted:

Do Nielsen ratings still require people to do anything to prove they actually watch stuff? It used to be a little diary you had to fill out, to prove you weren’t just leaving the tv running, but that was before cable got as advanced as it is now.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

I was like "drat Brian Kendrick got loving old" and then my brain caught up and realized that actually that was him on my right.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
E: Maybe it's because I live in a market where Cox has always been heavily experimenting with channel stacking and on-demand-only tuning and is notorious in general for using a lot of compression, but I can't be a channel flipper anymore because channel flipping is too slow. The 30 seconds it takes for each channel to load is, like, death, to me. I wish this was not the case. I did like channel flipping though when I could do it.

rotinaj posted:

Do Nielsen ratings still require people to do anything to prove they actually watch stuff? It used to be a little diary you had to fill out, to prove you weren’t just leaving the tv running, but that was before cable got as advanced as it is now.

For Nielsen, they do a few different things. Like they still send out the diaries, that's the only part I've ever got. But they also have automated methods that have all sorts of different things to test if you are actively watching. There's even one that in theory does eye tracking although I would be skeptical of this data.

Rick fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Dec 23, 2021

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Rick posted:

There's even one that in theory does eye tracking although I would be skeptical of this data.

Imagine how low Raw ratings would be if they were able to tell how many people sleep through it.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

rotinaj posted:

i still had to fill out a little notebook when i was briefly a nielsen house in 2014

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

STONE COLD 64 posted:

i still had to fill out a little notebook when i was briefly a nielsen house in 2014

what did you write in it?

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

D.N. Nation posted:

Whenever I go to my parents house my mom just has the tv blaring crime shows 24/7, to the point where it makes it hard to have any conversations. The tv is just on all the time.

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

They wrote "What" over and over again.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
WWE's boyhood dream may come true for the biggest ROH free agent.

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2021/12/matt-taven-comments-on-potential-move-to-wwe/

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

mostly survivor and ufcs on fox

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Kendrick is getting the Jamie Noble retired by Sheamus angle.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

STAC Goat posted:

I'm kinda old so you know, I developed my habits in a non-streaming time. But I dunno. Sometimes I just wanna channel surf. Sometimes I don't want to watch some highly rated movie or show I've been binging, I just wanna watch whatever's on. Easy, casual, whatever. And I leave it on while I'm doing chores and stuff because I don't like silence and it gives me a small distraction but not a big enough one that I get pulled in.

And like that's probably why Netflix now has a random watch option. And I still kind of wish there was an option for me to just put 5-10 shows in a CD mixer and just have them come up at random like in my own syndication.

Oh crap, "CD mixer". I gave away my oldness again.

Yeah, I cut cable many years ago, but the TV I just bought comes with a built-in selection of streaming channels I keep finding myself drawn to. I've got subscription services with queues of stuff I tell myself I'm going to catch up on at some point, but in reality I'm more likely to just flip around until I stop on the 80s ninja movie that's half over.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

My dad just leaves tv on all day and mostly watches reruns of lovely sitcoms. That motherfucker looks down on me for playing video games.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I’ve gone to the trouble of trying to re-create channel surfing with my media through apps like PseudoTV and QuasiTV. There’s some comfort I find in just landing on something to mindlessly watch in the background, not committing to a full show/movie, and/or leaving whenever. I also add every streaming network that works with the Amazon Fire TV guide but since mostly the networks all carry the same channels it has a lot of repeats.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

D.N. Nation posted:

Story time: years ago I was at a wedding in the middle of the countryside, and they had a big party bus take everyone from the service at a church to the reception on a farm. Party bus had a TV on it. Some retirees were the first onboard and commandeered the TV, and sure enough- flip flip flip flip flip, right into the adult section of the channels and they somehow couldn't get out again. HUH? WHAT'S THAT SAY? NURSES? WE GOTTA ORDER THIS CHANNEL? DO-WHAAAA? A-WAYUULLP! anyway those are your NXT viewers these days

This anecdote made me laugh harder than any WWE comedy skit.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
wwe and specifically nxt is the most perfect place for matt taven. he can stink up the show and have bad matches with a whole lot of other people also having bad matches and none of us will mind because none of us will see it

if you put him on a good show he'll gently caress it up but if you put him on a show thats already bad he cant really do much harm

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Oh which ones are the good WWE?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Channel surfing is a godsend for people with insomnia. Many times I’ve given up on sleeping at 2am and just gone flicking and ended up watching multiple episodes of CSI or some random black and white movie just because it’s the only thing on at that time of morning in the UK.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

I’m pretty sure my father in law, who is currently blasting Law and Order on the Sundance channel, and who doesn’t follow wrestling, was just describing Toxic Attraction to me

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Invalid Validation posted:

Oh which ones are the good WWE?

there isn't one, that's the point

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

the closest to a good WWE is NXT UK which canonically doesn't exist

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Tweak posted:

I’ve gone to the trouble of trying to re-create channel surfing with my media through apps like PseudoTV and QuasiTV. There’s some comfort I find in just landing on something to mindlessly watch in the background, not committing to a full show/movie, and/or leaving whenever. I also add every streaming network that works with the Amazon Fire TV guide but since mostly the networks all carry the same channels it has a lot of repeats.

https://www.pluto.tv seems to be on literally every smart platform now and perfectly recreates the channel surfing experience. It even has two wrestling channels (and a Baywatch one)!

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

JUNGLE BOY posted:

I’m pretty sure my father in law, who is currently blasting Law and Order on the Sundance channel, and who doesn’t follow wrestling, was just describing Toxic Attraction to me

Jesus. Sundance was mostly good like 20 years ago.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Every time I hear about Toxic Attraction it makes me think of Pops from Dirty Work watching the women's workout videos.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It makes me think someone showed Vince a Troma film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/sescoops/status/1474406098006425601?s=20