Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Time stop seemed so half hearted, like conceptually it’s a cool power that they did nothing with. He never used it for anything interesting and only did it once and it looked really bad.

Also it felt like da worldo and bugs had a star tattoo on her shoulder and that was disappointingly nothing either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Gatts posted:

The actor that played Morpheus was really charismatic, I'd love to see him in other movies and be able to showcase it.

He had a very important but also very supporting role in the Watchmen series, which is also worth a watch for several other actors to include Regina King, Jean Smart and Tim Blake Nelson. All of whom excel with their screen time.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
I get if people wanted Christina Ricci to have more screentime but the less-than-a-minute we got of her talking about The Matrix's #brand was great

Gatts posted:

What was this? I walked out halfway through the credits.

I also left before this (the final curse of The Matrix Revolutions is that when the credits started and I searched "matrix resurrections stinger" the first result told me that The Matrix Revolutions did not have a stinger and I did not notice the switcheroo so I left) but the scene is people trying to think up a continuation to the series and they end up with The Catrix, which is just The Matrix with cats

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

VROOM VROOM posted:

I also left before this (the final curse of The Matrix Revolutions is that when the credits started and I searched "matrix resurrections stinger" the first result told me that The Matrix Revolutions did not have a stinger and I did not notice the switcheroo so I left) but the scene is people trying to think up a continuation to the series and they end up with The Catrix, which is just The Matrix with cats

I need this.

Also I realize the actor is in Candyman and I have in fact seen him in more. He is also very hot. Thanks for the suggestion of Watchman.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

VROOM VROOM posted:

I get if people wanted Christina Ricci to have more screentime but the less-than-a-minute we got of her talking about The Matrix's #brand was great

That whole scene is maybe the best thing about the movie and she's a huge part of that. I would've loved her to show up as an agent or something, who better to play a psychopath than a marketing exec?

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Time stop seemed so half hearted, like conceptually it’s a cool power that they did nothing with. He never used it for anything interesting and only did it once and it looked really bad.

Also it felt like da worldo and bugs had a star tattoo on her shoulder and that was disappointingly nothing either.

It would have worked a lot better if they just used the same effects the Xmen movies used with Quicksilver, which is inevitably always the best part of those movies

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Mike N Eich posted:

It would have worked a lot better if they just used the same effects the Xmen movies used with Quicksilver, which is inevitably always the best part of those movies

I feel like doing something recognizably new would have been better. Just to play up “the new bullet time”. Do that weird 3D scan reconstruction thing or something that looks visually distinct so if it shows up in another movie it’d be “like the matrix” even if it looked bad

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Matrix 4...is good. Not amazing but I enjoyed watching it and the knowledge of my inevitable death was kept at bay for a couple hours.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Butternubs posted:

I don't think throwing a tantrum through the medium of film is the best way to do this.

A lot of people are saying the story is good so there's a high chance I'm just too dumb to "get it" but;

Objectively, nearly every other part of the movie was garbage: Choreography, editing, dialogue, sound, filmography, effects were all poorly executed.

The set/costume design was pretty good.

"filmography"

Lmao

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
Cinnamonbography

Resurrections is a better endcap for the Matrix filmology than Revolutions, I hope they never make another

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

AccountSupervisor posted:

"filmography"

Lmao

lol I didn't even notice that

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

Am I wrong or was there really no reason to make 60 years pass instead of 20 years for Morpheus and Trinity? They mention it and it really seems to hold no purpose other than make them come up with another explanation for why they ONLY aged 20 years. I guess to allow for a longer passage of time so they could develop the Io/Synthetics/Machine civil war stuff, but I could buy all that could happen in 20 years.

I just don't get the motivation behind that.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

VROOM VROOM posted:

I'm here for the 2021 Riccisance

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Mike N Eich posted:

Am I wrong or was there really no reason to make 60 years pass instead of 20 years for Morpheus and Trinity? They mention it and it really seems to hold no purpose other than make them come up with another explanation for why they ONLY aged 20 years. I guess to allow for a longer passage of time so they could develop the Io/Synthetics/Machine civil war stuff, but I could buy all that could happen in 20 years.

Seems like a way to just mass write out the million characters from the other movies. So you don’t need to write around where kid or link or lock or zee went or have things like the council changing members be explained or need to write why someone is a historical neologist when like fifty people there talked to neo just a few years ago.

Now everyone died off screen of old age and you don’t have to worry about them.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Mike N Eich posted:

its important that IO has been genuinely peaceful for generations and most people living in it can't remember the war or else it'd feel like nothing had changed

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mike N Eich posted:

There were two reasons.

One was that it established that the peace was a real genuine thing that had been ongoing for a while. It adds weight to the concept that it was something that could be ongoing and helps prevent the return to the Matrix from feeling like "Well then Neo's peace failed in 3 weeks."

The other is that it offers a convenient out so they don't have to explain where everyone from the first films is. They're dead or old as hell and not having adventures anymore.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Nybble posted:

the blue pills are Facebook and Twitter stand-ins

I think this is what I actually think but I sort of want to write a semi-serious take about how because The Analyst is a capitalist putting on the guise of a therapist (literally, those goofy blue glasses disappear when he reveals himself) in order to keep his labor pliant and disaffected, it’s actually a scathing critique of BetterHelp and other Uber-rear end therapy apps

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

There were two reasons.

One was that it established that the peace was a real genuine thing that had been ongoing for a while. It adds weight to the concept that it was something that could be ongoing and helps prevent the return to the Matrix from feeling like "Well then Neo's peace failed in 3 weeks."

The other is that it offers a convenient out so they don't have to explain where everyone from the first films is. They're dead or old as hell and not having adventures anymore.

This reminds me I was confused as to the status of the peace - at the end of Revolutions the impression I got was that the Machines agreed to not gently caress with humans in Zion and would allow anyone who wanted to 'wake up' to wake up and join Zion.

But it appears that the humans are still on the run from the Machines in Io, why else do they need to have a cloaking system for their city? Or is that only one faction of the Machine civil war who wants to hunt them down? I didn't make sense of that very well

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Mike N Eich posted:

Or is that only one faction of the Machine civil war who wants to hunt them down?

This is essentially correct. There are probably more, though.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I thought overnight about this, and decided this Matrix 4 is the best movie of 2021. Dune was a pretty good movie too, but only half of a movie, it's missing the rest.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Yeah honestly, after decompressing my thoughts on it, I'm liking Resurrections more and more.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

"Lana Wachowski" posted:

“When I began to admit it to myself, I knew I would eventually have to tell my parents and my brother and my sisters. This fact would inject such terror into me that I would not sleep for days. I developed a plan that I worked out with my therapist. It was going to take three years. Maybe five. A couple of weeks into the plan, my mom called.”

Big shocker

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Instead of the Catrix, the stinger should have been the nerds coming up with the Pizza Matrix, followed by the whole 3 minute video.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
J.P. from Grandma’s Boy should’ve made a cameo in this film as one of the video game developers.

With the leather jacket and the slicked back hair and the sunglasses and everything.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Saw it. I was really engaged with the beginning... half? third? of the film, until it turned out he really was in the matrix again, and then the story slowly unfolded into a typical film.

I don't hate it but it could've been better.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Shiroc posted:

The worst thing about the new Matrix is lack of extremely horny raves.

Truth. Add more sweaty raves. I want to see some sythnthients and magnetic balls grind.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Mike N Eich posted:

To comment on the action, I don't think what hurt the action had anything to do with direction or choreography, but a floatiness and a lack of stakes for most of the fight scenes. Compare the action in the first Matrix - halfway through there's a fight scene were a good chunk of the humans just straight up get murdered easily by Agents. I'm not sure any human dies throughout the entire length of Matrix Resurrections. The action is thus fairly perfunctory - you never feel like the characters are in any serious danger.

This is kind of a problem with the whole series though, in the first movie someone says that nobody has survived a fight with an Agent which is what makes it all the more impressive when Neo can handle them - but the later films just turn them into cannon fodder.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

The biggest laugh I got in this movie was this scene because the caption is immediately what entered my head:

I don't think I'll talk about anything else because I'm sure every opinion possible has already been posted but I will say that there were a lot of lines I didn't understand and most of them came out of Merv's mouth.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Dec 24, 2021

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I liked the movie, but it feels like there's a lot of heavy mental gymnastics going on in ITT.

"no, the evil therapist prescribing the bad medication is actually not a therapist. The cis white hetero couple are secretly trans. The innocent people under the control of the machine are actually bots and we shouldn't feel bad about them"

like, sometimes if it walks like a duck...

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Despera posted:

There these thing called turbines and when you spin them they make millions of peoples worth of power.
There's this thing called fusion, too. A thing involved in the process of using humans for energy. How? gently caress you, that's how. The movie is in no way about the particulars of how that works. But it's fusion. This was said in the first movie, but everybody loving ignores it because CinemaSins taught an entire generation to be performatively baffled by the absolutely clearly stated; that being angry at how confused you are because you're not paying attention is just as good as listening and understanding.

For gently caress's sake, I'm tired of this argument. I've been having it for 22 years and you not liking a thing doesn't make it a plot hole.

Sorry for being so harsh, but gently caress I'm tired.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Expectations were already low but man this was pretty loving terrible. The first 20 to 40 were kinda interesting but it quickly gets stupid fast and only keeps accelerating until the end. The dialogue was trying so goddamned hard to be quirky all the time. Also I have no idea why a literal artificial intelligence decided to be a misogynist near the end so we could loudly let everyone know we know Girls Get It Done

The movie was really bad and that was the worst cover of a Rage song I've ever heard

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Movie was alright but like all matrix movies the first one was way better and this one like all the others principally made me want to watch the first one. The meta poo poo at the top of act 1 was the best part. One of the girls was hot. Soundtrack way shittier than the first one but also I’m double as old and a lobby scene set to spybreak probably wouldn’t blow my mind as hard as the og did. That’s all I got. Girl rage at the end was mega cringe but not unexpected. Did a facepalm irl.

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
It was so disappointing, I expected a lazy retelling of the first three films and got something that was somehow worse.

I kept waiting for something to happen with not-Morpheus, or Niobe or the new machine friends but nothing ever really did.

I guess making a bad film on purpose to take a shot at your boss is an option but it's kind of conceited and whatever they were going for they don't have the ability to pull it off.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
becoming increasingly convinced that Resurrections is not actually a good movie, but in fact a great movie that separates the wheat from the chaff

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Butternubs posted:

The tagline should have been "we made the film wrong, as a joke"

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
matrix 1 came out at a special time in our lives. it even had all our fav guns from counter-strike. so epic. cant be beat. no shame in it. neo looked so badass. drat.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
rob d clubbed to death.

spybreak

lunatic calm leave you far behind

dragula lol

du hast lol incredible

ratm of course

prodigy minefields, get ya head rocked

drat. this soundtrack shaped my teen mind so bad. crazy to consider

crank that full soundtrack while playing cs or tfc or tribes or smth. wow. too powerful.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

GD_American posted:

"Trinity is the most important character in this movie."

(That's why she's barely in the first half, little more than a damsel in distress in the 2nd half, then has a completely unearned awakening then 10 minutes of poorly choreographed superheroism)

This whole movie was

This has been bothering me. All this talk about Trinity and how important she is and she's barely a character in the movie. Despite the plot in the 2nd half being all about her, the movie itself didn't really seem to care for her at all.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

VROOM VROOM posted:

becoming increasingly convinced that Resurrections is not actually a good movie, but in fact a great movie that separates the wheat from the chaff

nice

Smythe posted:

One of the girls was hot.

the sense8 crew girl with the tattoos whose name I can't remember outside of bugs and sequoia yeah, but in a movie with carrie anne moss and priyanka chopra I strongly contest the use of the word "one"

ElectricSheep fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Dec 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Despera posted:

You only need the red pill once, which given to by the good guys. Blue pill was prescribed in buckets. It would be one thing if the villian was an evil therapist but having him be also a psychiatrist who prescribes the zombie controller meds is what puts it in the scientology hall of fame.

The movie also clearly states almost a dozen times that the pills aren't actually important and don't actually do anything, it's the choice that is the actual important part. The reason he prescribes dozens of the blue pills isn't because they actually keep him in the matrix (the pills don't do anything!) it's because it's forcing him to choose to stay every day, and choosing that over and over again makes that choice a part of who he is. It's why he can't fly at the end, right? Because even though he knows it's fake, choosing to stay there every day took a toll on him.