Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I've known several people like that. Some of them are solipsists who just don't care about anyone that isn't them. That's bad but at least it is consistent. If you have progressed beyond "casual friends" to "in a relationship" it tends to be more a matter of focus. They don't pull that poo poo for people they care about but when it is your friends or something you want to do there is always something that ends up coming up to delay it/make it not happen.

Either way, dude ended a bad relationship and is better for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for kicking stepmom’s son out of my bedroom and ruining Christmas?

quote:

I (20f) am studying at college in a different state and returned to my dad’s home for Christmas. My mom passed away when I was 8. Dad remarried when I was 15 and my stepmom moved in with us. Her son, “David” (30m), was already living on his own so he didn’t need a bedroom in our house.

David broke up with his gf a couple of months ago and moved to our house just as a temporary thing. Stepmom asked if he could use my bedroom since I wasn’t there anyway. I said ok, we don’t get along at all but I understood it was sort of an emergency.

Yesterday I got back home and was expecting to be able to sleep in my bedroom. I’d already texted my stepmom telling her to ask David to sort his stuff out (like clear the wardrobe and so). Stepmom said ok.

Well, it turns out David had no plan to move out of my bedroom. Not just that but he had INSTALLED A LOCK!!! I got home when they all were out and couldn’t open the door of MY bedroom. David doesn’t have a job so he probably left on purpose. So now I can’t even enter without his consent. Stepmom told me that it’d be much easier for all of us if I could just sleep on the couch as I would be leaving soon anyway. I was fuming because that’s not what I agreed to and I won’t sleep on a couch when I have my bed right there.

The whole thing escalated pretty badly. They told me to stop like a spoiled child and I told them they had no right to take a drat decision over my and my dad’s house.

I took all my stuff and went to my grandparents' home (it’s nearby). My dad got super angry when he got home and heard what happened. Apparently, the lock wasn’t there before he had left for work that day. He told David to take all his things out and sleep on the couch or get out of his house. I’m still with my grandparents because I don’t want to see David and my stepmom’s faces tho.

She has been sending me texts accusing me of ruining his marriage and Christmas. My grandparents love having me here but think that I should sleep in my bedroom to sort of “assert my dominance” (they used other words but that's basically what they meant.

I want to get drunk with the Grandparents.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Hughlander posted:

AITA for kicking stepmom’s son out of my bedroom and ruining Christmas?

I want to get drunk with the Grandparents.

Dude sounds like a total loser but I don't really follow op's logic. Like if that house is his temporary residence because he was mooching off his gf and has no way to live on his own then it really only makes sense they would give him the room rather than just having him sleep on a couch while maintaining an extra empty room for decorum's sake.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

ArbitraryC posted:

Dude sounds like a total loser but I don't really follow op's logic. Like if that house is his temporary residence because he was mooching off his gf and has no way to live on his own then it really only makes sense they would give him the room rather than just having him sleep on a couch while maintaining an extra empty room for decorum's sake.

...no one ever asked anyone to leave the room empty? She explicitly agreed that it made sense for him to use her room, she just wanted to be able to have it back for the Christmas break, which her stepmom initially agreed to.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for getting a man fired for telling my toddler to shut up?

quote:

I’m the 1/3 owner of a company with 2 friends from college. Mike and Eric.

I run the Technology side of things, so I’m not the “face” of the company, so I rarely go into the office.

I have a 4-year-old daughter whose father is Mike. (We have never been in a relationship and chose to co-parent our daughter)

Mike got into a car wreck and required surgery. Eric was out of town.
My nanny is on holiday break, so it’s me taking care of my daughter and trying to run a company.

There’s a project that Mike’s working on In the office, and I have to grab it and a portable server.

My daughter is already upset because she knows her dad is hurt. Getting her loaded into the car to go into the office was messy. She refused to wear matching boots and is in an elf outfit.

At this point, I’m like, whatever, let’s go.
The whole time in the car, she’s crying and upset.
I get her to calm down because I told her we would grab some things from work.

I meet our VP of operations, Adam, and everything is fine. Until my daughter realizes she left her dinosaur in the car.

She will not be appeased. We are in Adam’s office trying to get everything together to take to my home office.

My kiddo will not stop crying because Sara (the dinosaur) is in the car alone, and Sara might not be able to breathe. Adam and I are like, “it’s ok, Sara, it is fine.”
I’m mortified and want to get my kid back in the car and home.

Adam has to run to the IT department to grab a few more things for me. My daughter is in total toddler meltdown over Sara the Dinosaur. A man walks by and tells me to “shut my kid up. This is an office, not a daycare.”

I’m had it. I told him this wouldn’t be his job if it weren’t for this child’s father or me, and he could be the one to shut up or find a new job.

Adam comes back, and the man starts yelling at Adam about how he’s trying to work, and my kid and I won’t shut up.

He told Adam he needed to get me out of the office. I’m like this is my office, and if you don’t like it, you can leave.

Adam agrees and says I’m the owner, and there’s nothing he can do. The man walks back to his desk.

Adam tells me he will handle it. Wishes me good luck with the project and sends my daughter out.

Adam fired the man for insubordination because the situation did not get better after I left and made some sexist remarks about women in business.

I get it wasn’t one of my best days, but I’m trying to run a company and take care of my daughter in a stressful time for her.

The man was rude, and to be honest, no matter who I was shouldn’t be telling a child to shut up.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Mx. posted:

Maybe focus more on his sexist remarks and whatever else he did after you left.

Sounds like they're the real reason he got shitcanned.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

quote:

She refused to wear matching boots and is in an elf outfit.

This is like the opposite of those people describing their boring sandwiches, because I absolutely love this detail.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

mind the walrus posted:

Passive-aggressive moaning and then ditching her is some real "Middle School/I'm a Sigma Male" horseshit. It ain't gonna solve her tendency to be late. All it's going to do is make it "him vs her" instead of "us vs the problem."

The curse of the reasonable person is coming from inside the thread.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for asking my parents to reimburse me for the money I wasted getting a diagnosis I already had, because they withheld my medical information from me?

quote:

I recently spent $2300 out of pocket getting assessed for autism and ADHD at the suggestion of my psychologist. I was diagnosed with both, which has allowed me to get financial assistance and accommodations at uni, so it's very useful in the long term but it was a huge blow financially.

When I mentioned to my parents that I'd been diagnosed, they told me it was completely unnecessary because I was already diagnosed with both at age 6. They had never told me or anyone else about my diagnoses because they didn't want me to think I was different and didn't want me to be treated differently. Spoiler: I already knew I was different, I just didn't know why and thought I was a freak, same with every school bully and even some teachers. They were even told to put me on ADHD meds but they didn't.

So I asked my parents to reimburse me for the money I wasted on getting assessed, because it was their fault I wasted it. If they hadn't kept my own medical information from me, this would never have happened and I would have been able to get accommodations from the very start of uni which would have made things so much easier for me. They watched me struggle socially and academically for 14 years and never bothered to explain why or get me help for it.

My family is pissed at me for asking to be reimbursed. They think it's rude and my parents didn't do anything wrong, they were just trying to protect me. They even keep saying that my autism stops me from understanding why they did it and that me asking for reimbursement is rude. I think it's reasonable that if someone's actions caused me to waste money then they should pay for it. They had 14 years to tell me, if they didn't want me to know while I was a kid they could have sat me down when I was 18 and told me, but they chose to withhold my medical information from me.

murder ur famil

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Mx. posted:

Several comments on the post are actually asking the really important questions. Ones that the OP refuses to answer!

Concerned Redditors posted:

Info: Is Sarah the Dinosaur okay?

No update in 13 hours about Sara.... I'm starting to panic.

I too am worried about the dinosaur OP

Can someone PLEASE update us on the situation with Sara?!

OP please hurry, this is important

OP please confirm dinosaur is OK

The people demand answers!

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Mx. posted:

AITA for asking my parents to reimburse me for the money I wasted getting a diagnosis I already had, because they withheld my medical information from me?

You should probably be more mad about the 14 years than the two grand

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Yeah, but unless they have a time machine they can’t do poo poo about that, so go for the money imo.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Haha we purposefully made your life harder and let you loathe yourself for no reason, then let you spend 2,300 of your own money rather than just tell you. We're such jokers.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for complimenting a cashier?

quote:

My sister thinks I’m the ah but I’m confused as to how I would be. I was buying a bagel on thursday and noticed that the cashier was rather pretty. She had a tattoo so she was probably at least 18, she looked around 19-20. After I made the order, I complimented her saying “you know that you’re gorgeous right?” And to my shock, she gave me a blank stare and she looked kind of disgusted. I tried to make conversation with her as I own boats and asked her if she had ever been on one, etc, and she told me “you’re done with your order right? I think we’re done here.” She didn’t even give me a thank you. And she gave me a nasty look. I really don’t think i was crude or nasty with my compliment and her reaction was shocking. I told my sister about it and she said that it was weird for me to give any sort of compliment on a girls looks considering that I’m 58, but I wasn’t flirting with her I was just complimenting her. She then proceeded to tell me that I shouldn’t make comments like that to workers because they’re in a awkward situation. AITA for complimenting a cashier?

Tl;dr: I gave a compliment to a cashier and she was disgusted and I’m wondering if I’m the AH

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
It's so hard to choose between r/relationships: She had a tattoo so she was probably at least 18 and r/relationships: I tried to make conversation with her as I own boats

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Evil Willow posted:

Lmao

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

I tried to make conversation with her as I own boats and asked her if she had ever been on one, etc,

It's like if Dennis from Always Sunny gave the Implication Speech but didn't understand what he was talking about. Or more accurately, Mac repeating Dennis.

OhAreThey
Oct 12, 2012

I like your nurse's uniform, guy.

mind the walrus posted:

Passive-aggressive moaning and then ditching her is some real "Middle School/I'm a Sigma Male" horseshit. It ain't gonna solve her tendency to be late. All it's going to do is make it "him vs her" instead of "us vs the problem."

You're screwy, mister.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

mind the walrus posted:

Hopefully he doesn't have to worry about it anymore and they've broken up.

It could be just an avoidant behavior that she NEEDS the scarf she didn't care about until after the last second, but it could be some other mental issue like OCD or something manifesting, too. Either way: he's better off without her in the long run.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
It's also a dick move to call and cancel rides. Those people are driving towards you wasting gas and time, so canceling unless it's a real emergency is just loving with them for no reason. Get your scarf and then call.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
If it wasn't the scarf, it would always be something else. The terminally tardy only ever learn lessons the hard way, if ever.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I have a friend who is late all the time and has lost friends over it, her excuse was that she didn't know it was bad because nobody told her

Obviously people had told her, but she didn't stop and just kinda kept doing it and repeating that nobody told her it was bad. We're not talking about people who can be reasoned with here, take it for what it is and don't get into a relationship with them

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

If you can't or don't care about literally everyone being angry and on edge and making contingency plans on your behalf, I must imagine empathy ends at the front gate for you. Like, being held up for something important or missing something you looked forward to is something you experience first at preschool age, that should be the easiest situation to put yourself in someone else's shows.

les enfants Terrific!
Dec 12, 2008

Evil Willow posted:

I don't know what compels people to think it's cool to hit on people who are basically trapped interacting with you, but it's also really funny to see how confused and belligerent they get when you don't smile at their lovely jokes and advances.

OhAreThey
Oct 12, 2012

I like your nurse's uniform, guy.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

If it wasn't the scarf, it would always be something else. The terminally tardy only ever learn lessons the hard way, if ever.

Yeah, exactly. This woman, whether she knows it or not, is doing this poo poo as a power move. After all, couldn't she just look for the scarf later? Someone who is considerate of others would prioritize being on time and not wasting a Lyft driver's time.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

My brother-in-law is an infuriatingly tardy person when it comes to actually leaving - one year he managed to gently caress around so much on the morning they were supposed to fly home, they ended up missing a transatlantic flight :argh:. He'd be up packing until 3-4 in the morning they were leaving too.

Ever since, it's like a family/team effort to eject him from the house at least several hours before their flight time.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

OhAreThey posted:

Yeah, exactly. This woman, whether she knows it or not, is doing this poo poo as a power move. After all, couldn't she just look for the scarf later? Someone who is considerate of others would prioritize being on time and not wasting a Lyft driver's time.

I don’t think it’s a conscious thing. My youngest sister is a much much milder version of this but yes it is extremely annoying. Maybe growing up my mom would always make us hurry up and wait and she just ingrained that pattern as some sort of quiet rebellion.

It’s just kinda accepted in our family now that if you don’t have your poo poo together on time you have to get your own ride, nobody really gets too upset about it.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Evil Willow posted:

lol this dude is just completely oblivious to his own behavior. not just the effect it has on others but even his own motivations. It's baffling that people like this actually exist

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Pookah posted:

My brother-in-law is an infuriatingly tardy person when it comes to actually leaving - one year he managed to gently caress around so much on the morning they were supposed to fly home, they ended up missing a transatlantic flight :argh:. He'd be up packing until 3-4 in the morning they were leaving too.

Ever since, it's like a family/team effort to eject him from the house at least several hours before their flight time.

As an exceedingly punctual person, I can't figure out what the gently caress someone could be doing packing for hours and not finishing.

It sounds like me doing my homework in middle school.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Evil Willow posted:

Some people are just really stupid. How can someone be this un-self-aware

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

kalel posted:

lol this dude is just completely oblivious to his own behavior. not just the effect it has on others but even his own motivations. It's baffling that people like this actually exist

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Some people are just really stupid. How can someone be this un-self-aware

He's somewhat wealthy, old, and probably white. He genuinely believes he's the protagonist of reality.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

les enfants Terrific! posted:

I don't know what compels people to think it's cool to hit on people who are basically trapped interacting with you, but it's also really funny to see how confused and belligerent they get when you don't smile at their lovely jokes and advances.
The thing is, it's quite possible he's genuine about not trying to hit on her. This is what makes it so hard for the old creeps to understand that it's not 1970 and boundaries have changed and talking about other people's appearance outside of your friends or situations where that is an explicit expectation is inappropriate. People keep telling them about sexual harassment or consent or appropriate boundaries or about age gaps and in their mind that doesn't apply to the situation because "it's a compliment, all pretty girls like compliments." The idea that no one is interested in their opinion, no matter how benign or positive, just doesn't make sense to them.

Or, more succinctly, this:

1stGear posted:

He's somewhat wealthy, old, and probably white. He genuinely believes he's the protagonist of reality.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Evil Willow posted:

ew

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

kalel posted:

this is america, we love our beautiful boaters

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Evil Willow posted:

More from boat guy:

quote:

True and she was honestly incredibly rude, didn’t smile at me, didn’t say thank you. She wasn’t even model material so she probably should have been more appreciative of my compliment.

I totally believe his compliment was innocent and sincere given that he immediately went to trashing her looks once she rejected his attention.

Also, what's up with this guy thinking his boats are a big deal? Nobody cares that you spent too much money to go putter around on the lake couple of times a month, grandpa. (I grew up at a rural marina where our customers ranged from huge, swanky yachts to working class people who fished and hunted to put extra food on the table. So while my meter for this kind of thing is off, it's always funny to me when dudes like OP get braggy about their boats.)

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008
I have some friends who I can count on always being a little late and in the age of google maps and smart phones it's fine. Within reason, of course. Getting a text that says "Running a little late, ETA 7:15" when you were planning to meet at seven is no big deal to me, but I'd probably get annoyed waiting longer/if they blew off some time-sensitive event we'd been planning on.

Of course that's very different from blowing money on uber rides you never take and wasting everyone's time, especially those poor drivers. I think that if you're constantly coming up with excuses not to leave on time the real issue is that you don't actually want to go out at all.

On a side note I knew someone who was chronically *early* a lot, and that was way more stressful than people showing up a little late. I think it was some sort of obnoxious power-move thing, showing up at my house up to forty minutes earlier than we'd agreed on.

Blastedhellscape fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Dec 25, 2021

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Blastedhellscape posted:

On a side note I knew someone who was chronically *early* a lot, and that was way more stressful than people showing up a little late. I think it was some sort of obnoxious power-move thing, showing up at my house up to forty minutes earlier than we'd agreed on.

I'm getting mad just thinking about this.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Boat guys of the world unite

BigSexy
Apr 21, 2020

cumshitter posted:

It's like if Dennis from Always Sunny gave the Implication Speech but didn't understand what he was talking about. Or more accurately, Mac repeating Dennis.

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
I think the boat thing is about what he isn't saying.

You know, the implication.