Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I had a chronically late friend and it was just another manifestation of his short man syndrome. When people would call him out for it he would just smirk and say "sorry bout 'cha".

mind the walrus posted:

Passive-aggressive moaning and then ditching her is some real "Middle School/I'm a Sigma Male" horseshit. It ain't gonna solve her tendency to be late. All it's going to do is make it "him vs her" instead of "us vs the problem."

Actually it's a case of "when someone shows you who they are, believe them." Same as being lovely to service workers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Olewithmilk posted:

I'm getting mad just thinking about this.

It's awful. I knew a dude who would show up at a house an hour before a D&D game and just drink Powerade after Powerade from a case of 24 he'd bring. No one was entirely sure what grape vine he kept catching wind of the games from, probably my one friend who can't stand conflict and holds onto every weirdo he's ever met.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The chronically tardy have come up in these threads a lot, along with their variants of the 'hurry up and wait' types, and mostly boomer parents who tell the kids to pack up and get ready to go and then spend an hour talking in the doorway and another one standing by the car while you sit around bored and frustrated.

It's a narcissist trait, and should be met with crushing consequences ASAP.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Thundercloud posted:

I think the boat thing is about what he isn't saying.

You know, the implication.

Boats: Just another version of the Hummer

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Speaking of SOs with weirdo power moves

AITA for not making my Female Friend sit in the back seat? (self.AmItheAsshole)

quote:

submitted 12 days ago * by throwaway11zx
Background: I pick up my girlfriend from her office, she works in my company but in a different building walking distance away from my building. I also have a Female coworker in my building who is also my best friend at work. She is not in my department , she is head of her department (Training) and I am head of mine (Quality). She lives only a few kilometres from our office (not walking distance) on the way to our home and she and my girlfriend know eachother and get along well. My Friend asked me one day if I could drop her off at her home, as it is on the way I agreed and called my gf to inform that she will be with us, she was ok with that. After the work we set down in my car (my friend obviously set next to me) then we went to my gf's building and she came out after waiting for two minutes. She knew my friend would be with me but made a surprised face waited a few seconds and then I asked her to hurry up because we were blocking the traffic so she sat down in the back seat. After we dropped my friend I asked her to come in the front seat but she got angry saying my friend had no rights to sit in the front seat after she was there and I must have asked her to move to the back seat so she could sit in the front seat with me where girlfriends are supposed to sit. I didn't think it mattered and because my friend and I were already in a discussion I didn't even think about it. I told her I would not ask her to move back if she is already sitting in the front seat as I think it's disrespectful and gf will always remain my gf no matter where she sits in my car. AITA for not making my Female Friend sit in the back seat?

Extremely yikes power moves

AITA for getting pissed at my Mom for refusing to give me privacy in the bathroom? (self.AmItheAsshole)

quote:

submitted 21 days ago * by Astral_Writer
Ever since I (20F) was a kid, I’ve never gotten privacy in the bathroom. People always barge in while I’m using it or refuse to hurry up so I can use it (and by “hurry up,” I mean they just stand in the bathroom and look at their face or spend 3 minutes washing their hands). I’m sick of it, and I’ve been telling my parents that I want privacy for years.
Today, I really had to use the bathroom. My Mom was cleaning it, and so I patiently waited. Once she finished, I told her I needed to use the bathroom. She told me to just use it while she was in there (she was just washing her hands). I told her no, and she and my Dad started yelling at me and calling me ridiculous. Again, I told them no and asked her to hurry up. She made sure she took her sweet rear end time while I was about to have an accident, even taking the time to tell me over and over again how ridiculous I am. I don’t believe I’m being ridiculous here. I’m 20 loving years old. I don’t care if her and I “have the same parts,” as she always argues, I want some loving privacy while I’m on the toilet. I don’t even ask for privacy while I’m brushing my teeth or washing my hands, I just want privacy while I’m on the toilet.
Is that too much to ask? AITA for wanting privacy at 20 years old???
Edit: Please don’t suggest I move out. This is literally the only issue I have living here, and I’m not moving out over this. I’m just annoyed.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Boats: Just another version of the Hummer

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Please don’t suggest I move out of the house with the toilet creeper

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Mx. posted:

AITA for asking my parents to reimburse me for the money I wasted getting a diagnosis I already had, because they withheld my medical information from me?

My family is pissed at me for asking to be reimbursed. They think it's rude and my parents didn't do anything wrong, they were just trying to protect me. They even keep saying that my autism stops me from understanding why they did it and that me asking for reimbursement is rude. I think it's reasonable that if someone's actions caused me to waste money then they should pay for it. They had 14 years to tell me, if they didn't want me to know while I was a kid they could have sat me down when I was 18 and told me, but they chose to withhold my medical information from me.

Oh I'm not capable of understanding? Is that because I didn't have therapeutic support and medicine during my formative years that may have enabled me to do so? Gee, I wonder why that is?

Family thinks the OP is too autistic to get the social cues, but not autistic enough to get any help for it apparently.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Blastedhellscape posted:

On a side note I knew someone who was chronically *early* a lot, and that was way more stressful than people showing up a little late. I think it was some sort of obnoxious power-move thing, showing up at my house up to forty minutes earlier than we'd agreed on.

This is the same thing, and also insanely aggravating. Like if you check in first maybe but just showing up?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Speaking of SOs with weirdo power moves

Extremely yikes power moves

If the GF had made a big deal of it while the friend was in the car it’d have been weird but bringing up afterwards she had a point. If I was third wheeling in that situation and knew we were also picking up a friends SO close by, I’d have sat in the back in the first place, it was a little rude by the OP’s friend.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

ArbitraryC posted:

If the GF had made a big deal of it while the friend was in the car it’d have been weird but bringing up afterwards she had a point. If I was third wheeling in that situation and knew we were also picking up a friends SO close by, I’d have sat in the back in the first place, it was a little rude by the OP’s friend.

that's a nah for me

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

ArbitraryC posted:

:wrong:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
people are loving weird about car seats

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Important question: did the GF call shotgun? If not legally all rights and privileges are waived and the front seat is for grabs

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

If it's a long drive yeah I might move to the back seat to be polite. But if you're just taking me a few miles down the road like the OP stated I'm not moving.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

duck trucker posted:

If it's a long drive yeah I might move to the back seat to be polite. But if you're just taking me a few miles down the road like the OP stated I'm not moving.

yes and to be clear the time to get in the back is when the other person is picked up, not when you get in the first time

unless you want to be known as a "back sitter"

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

WIBTA if I told my husband his mother is not allowed to be alone with our daughter and demanded we limit time with her?

quote:

My mother in law is obsessed with health and fitness and keeping slim. She bragged all the time how her newborn daughter didn’t gain any weight for the first month. How she didn’t nurse her hungry babies from 12 to 6 AM. She used to bake a cake or a tray of cookies and tell them it’s not all for them to stop them from eating too much which I find strange. When she visited us two months ago, she made plenty of remarks on our daughter’s weight and the quantity she eats. I pushed back very hard when she tried to limit her food intake, I said she’s a 10 months old baby and she stops eating when she’s full and not when we think she’s full.

But she kept making nasty remarks and says “jokingly” how my daughter eats like a little pig. She watched her like a hawk at meal time and would try to barge in and take her out of the high chair to stop her from eating and freaks out when she makes a mess.

My husband confronted her once about this and many other things she was overbearing about but she started to cry and then came after me for turning her son on her. And didn’t stop this behavior.

I don’t want my daughter hearing those comments when she’s older and can understand. I grew up in a household where no one counted calories specially not for children. and this woman proved that she just doesn’t listen. Heck I don’t even want to ever see her again and I would carry it through if she didn’t listen. Also, my husband’s 5 year old niece is a massive picky eater that refuses 90% of the food and I can’t help but think my MIL has a hand in it. I heard her shame the little girl at the dinner table about her eating. I might be wrong I don’t know.

Now my husband although he agrees with me he gets his feelings hurt when I mention his mother and keeps saying she won’t be a problem and I feel like he doesn’t see what I see, and for me my daughter comes first before grown rear end adults fee fees and I am not taking chances and owe no one a granddaughter. so will I be the AH if I tried to keep her away from our daughter even though it might make him sad?

:murder: it's the *JOB* of a 10 month old to look chubby for christ sakes.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

the holy poopacy posted:

people are loving weird about car seats

yeah this brings out all sorts of baggage that is usually repressed, same with parking spots

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I need to know how many doors this guy's car has. If its only a 2 door then the person who needs to get out first sits in the front and the gf is being lovely.. If its 4 then gf has somewhat of a leg to stand on.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Hughlander posted:

WIBTA if I told my husband his mother is not allowed to be alone with our daughter and demanded we limit time with her?

I love how the twisted old bat who starves hungry children as a hobby breaks down and starts crying immediately when she doesn't get her way

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Hughlander posted:

so many times reading these stories, i'm like, i'm probably the unhealthy one here but the threat of horrifying violence could solve a lot of these problems

quote:

I am planning to tell him that I don’t need him to believe me or support me, I am informing him that I would be crushing her skull next time she crosses the lines. We didn’t live in the same country or meet until this horrible visit that’s why this happened.

anyway, i love this woman

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Foo Diddley posted:

so many times reading these stories, i'm like, i'm probably the unhealthy one here but the threat of horrifying violence could solve a lot of these problems

anyway, i love this woman

Any of the ones where it involves a parent asking if they were an rear end in a top hat for standing up for their kids after some relative/stranger calls them a slur or says something just horrible to them I just don't understand why they didn't grab the offender and throw them through a door. Doesn't even have to be an open door. Still gonna go through it face first

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Oh man spoiled kids these days!

AITA for being upset i didn't get enough presents?

quote:

16M (throwaway)

I feel like a privileged rear end for this because it really does not matter, but im gonna post anyway.

(my family celebrated christmas on the solstice since my parents needed to work on christmas)

We had a big family gathering and passed around presents to open together. my 2 brothers (7M and 11M) both got iphones, one got an xbox, and they got a dozen other smaller but still nice presents.

My parents got me one, and it was a book i've been wanting (and a hershey bar). i'm very grateful for getting it, but i was upset because my brothers had gotten such big gifts.

My mom asked me why i looked mad and i told her it was because i barely got anything. she told me privately after everybody left that i embarrassed her, she said i'll get more presents when i "learn to be a real man" I think shes saying i'm effeminate

I know i'm not the perfect son but i've been trying really hard this year to make them proud.

Hmmm
Brother A: iPhone and XBox ~1k - ~1.6k depending on phone model
Brother B: iPhone $400 - $1100
OP: $7 - $21 depending on if the book was hardcover or not.

Yep nothing to see here!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Tis the season!
AITA for telling my kids there won't be a family Christmas after this year?

quote:

Some background info: I (50 F) have 2 adult kids Mike (30) and Marie (29) and both are married. The last 5 or so years we have had to have a split Christmas where one kid and spouse will come over one day and the other another day. This is just how its worked out between their work schedules and their spouse family Christmas gatherings. Now onto the issue

I texted them both yesterday asking if they can still come over Christmas Eve. Mike said yes but Marie wasn't aware that I was planning a gathering then and said she couldn't come due to work and her husband's family gathering. We can't all do Christmas Day either because Mike and his wife are having her family over for a gathering. So I asked if Sunday would work and Marie said yes but Mike said no unless it was later in the evening since he has to work. I was over trying to beg for a bit of family time so I just texted both of them and said I'd leave their presents on their porches since there's no time for our family anyway and it seems to them that our family doesn't matter, only their spouses families. They both tried calling and texting me but I ignored them.

Later on my husband convinced me to do Sunday after 3. I told the kids this but said that since they don't care about our family anymore this will be the last family Christmas for good. I'm not dealing with my family being forgotten by my kids. Marie then told me stop being such an rear end in a top hat and to stop acting like a martyr. I really don't think I'm in the wrong though. My kids are the ones not making time for the family. So, AITA?

In comments, it turns out that OP asked everybody over on the 23rd, and seems to have forgotten to ask her daughter at all.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I am not a parent but

quote:

She bragged all the time how her newborn daughter didn’t gain any weight for the first month
Even I know babies grow like crazy for the first few years.
If this is true, it is beyond evil and hosed up.

Pookah fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 24, 2021

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

quote:

She bragged all the time how her newborn daughter didn’t gain any weight for the first month.

:stonk:

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Honestly the MIL is the least of your problems when married to Sterling Archer

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

AITA for getting a coworker fired over a secret santa gift? (self.AmItheAsshole)

quote:

submitted 3 hours ago * by saturnswing to r/AmItheAsshole4
931 commentssharesavehidegive awardreportcrosspost
Hello again! The people I know have been spilt on this so id like more unbiased viewpoint
For context I am jewish and work in retail, our shop is pretty small and I'm sure all of my coworkers know my religion as I'm pretty open about it and answer the many questions they have around the holidays. While I'm not christian I still like giving gifts and participating in secret santa. A newer coworker (has been working there for abt 4 months) is a very religious christian when she found out I was gonna participate in secret santa she started asking me if I was gonna convert, everytime she asked this I laughed it off and said no. I thought this was kind of annoying but whatever not a huge deal, she eventually backed off or so I thought.
When we all opened our gifts I opened mine to find a bible, a small framed picture of jesus and a pamphlet for a local church's youth group. I knew it was from my new coworker before she even said anything. She could tell I was upset when I opened it and started to talk abt how it was 'obvious' I wanted to convert to christianity because I was celebrating christmas and she was 'just giving me the push I needed', this 'gift' very much offended me but I tried to stay calm I told her that she was wrong and could not accept her gift and gave it back to her. Which made her cry, and she told me that she just wanted to save me.
After this mess my boss pulled me aside. He told that her behavior would not be tolerated and asked me what I wanted him to do about it. I told him that I didnt know but felt uncomfortable working on the same shift as her anymore. He said he understood and my next shift I found out he fired her. A lot of my coworkers were pissed, she was generally pretty nice and they liked her. They told me I was sensitive and i ruined her christmas for a stupid reason. Most of my friends and some of my coworkers are on my side but theyre probably biased.
AITA?

EDIT: Thank you all for the responses. To add a little more context, I didnt think my boss would fire her and didnt tell him not to because of that. I only work at this job part time and as I'm 17 I'm only scheduled a couple times a week, and most of my coworkers including this one are much older than me.

Any comments/messages telling me to kill myself, saying shes gonna kill herself because of me or throwing a whole bunch of slurs at me will be reported and blocked.

Never change, Reddit

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Pookah posted:

I am not a parent but

Even I know babies grow like crazy for the first few years.
If this is true, it is beyond evil and hosed up.

Newborns can dip a bit in weight in the first couple weeks, so it could be normal to be at birth weight a month later. It's not really in your control even when they're feeding well, and pointless to brag about.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

kimbo305 posted:

Newborns can dip a bit in weight in the first couple weeks, so it could be normal to be at birth weight a month later. It's not really in your control even when they're feeding well, and pointless to brag about.

I get the Internet contrarian thing, but you don't gotta brag about keeping your tiny baby at their birth weight for a loving month.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Honestly the MIL is the least of your problems when married to Sterling Archer

Lana Caine's parents were amazing, though.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

kimbo305 posted:

My pediatrician would have been seriously, seriously worried if a baby wasn't back to its birthweight by 3 weeks, at the very latest.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

My [27M] wife [27F], a PhD biologist, is unvaccinated and hospitalized with COVID-19. Now she won't talk to me about anything besides ivermectin.

quote:

My wife of 6 months is a big fan of certain podcasts that have influenced her thinking on this matter. She also claims to understand the science and see obvious holes in the data. At first I listened to her because I thought she knew best, but it became clear to me over time that she was wrong and I got my 2nd shot 2 months ago in spite of her begging me not to, claiming I might be sterilized by it.

She works from home but I can't and I probably gave it to her. My wife got really sick and both of us tested positive. She then started having trouble breathing Tuesday night and was hospitalized. I'm still asymptomatic but self isolating alone in our apartment.

I keep texting her, desperate to know how she's doing, trying to figure out her odds of survival. All she will say to me is stuff like "Well I'd be fine if they'd give me ivermectin!" Just an hour ago I asked her if she's okay and she texted me saying "I'm probably going to die if they don't give me ivermectin."

I asked her "Did they say you were probably going to die?" but I can't get a single straight answer. I don't know if she's going to get out of the hospital tomorrow or if I'm going to find out she's dead. I'm upset that she won't even give me any straight answers about the state of her health, while I'm stuck here alone not knowing if I'll ever even see her again. I can't visit her in the hospital. What do I do?

Edit: There are about 80 different hospitals she might be in. She won't even tell me where she is.

TL;DR! - I can't get any straight answers about the state of her health and can only communicate with her by phone. I'm annoyed with her for it but also extremely scared for her.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

The Bramble posted:

My [27M] wife [27F], a PhD biologist, is unvaccinated and hospitalized with COVID-19. Now she won't talk to me about anything besides ivermectin.

"well, mrs. scientist, now you get to see darwinism in action first hand"

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Pookah posted:

I get the Internet contrarian thing, but you don't gotta brag about keeping your tiny baby at their birth weight for a loving month.

please have some chill

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

yikes! posted:

please have some chill

Demonstrate being as sad a person online as possible.

(Online people are already categorised as the lamest possible people)

You're already a subset of the stupidest, most intolerably stupid group of people
This has to be a fetish, you crave to be the stupidest person present.

That's a weird, sad fetish.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

The Bramble posted:

Yeah, might be time to dust off the old dating profiles for this guy here. Whichever way it goes.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I demand the driver sit in the back seat.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

ArbitraryC posted:

Lmao what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for having my medication laying around?

quote:

I (f, 18) got diagnosed with ADHD a couple months ago and of course I then got on meds. I am also on a couple other meds since I currently have the flu. I usually keep them on the counter in my bathroom (most of the time the bathroom is locked since I have a little brother (5), who likes to eat everything he finds).

Yesterday my aunt and my cousin (15) came over and I didn't lock the bathroom door since my brother wasn't at home. My cousin then used it and I didn't think anything of it. Well a couple hours after they left I wanted to take my meds and I noticed that my ADHD Meds (Adderall) were all gone. I figured that I must have put them somewhere else since I forget things easily so I started searching for them but I couldn't find them. I gave up and didn't take them since I could just do the work I wanted to do tomorrow.

A few hours later my aunt called me and asked what the hell is wrong with me for giving my cousin my meds. Apparently he told his mom that I gave them to him "since he really needs them for school" which is total bullshit. I'd never give them out and especially not to my cousin who tends to do stupid poo poo like taking drugs. I explained the situation to her but she wouldn't listen and called me an rear end in a top hat for not respecting her or her child.

Am I the rear end in a top hat?

Important: I do NOT feel comfortable with police getting involved due to a "thing" that happened a few years ago. I'd rather solve this with them personally

Edit: my meds have to be on the counter, otherwise I'd forget to take them. I've tried multiple things like sticky notes and setting alarms but it didn't do the trick for me. I need to see them in order to take them. Because of that my bathroom is locked all the time even when I am in there, since I don't want to put my little brother at risk. It's also important to know that my ADHD meds were NOT next to my flu meds, which means that my cousin had to actively look for them

I got out of surgery a few days ago and I'm just lying here staring at the boxes of painkillers on my table tbh

Murder cousin, murder aunt