Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
Yeah I feel like there's no need to recommend anything over a hundred (or even that expensive). I imagine the only people likely to drop over a hundred on a board game already know enough about the hobby to not need a broad list of recommendations.

I do kinda like the idea of breaking it down more by style of game than by weight - I think particularly for people newer to the hobby the idea of weight can be pretty opaque, and I think people are more likely to enjoy something around a theme or style of game play that they like as long as those recommendations are still for solid games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

What was a game you were hyped for, but played this year and were disappointed in?

I was disappointed that my board game group still hasn't gotten back together since the start of the pandemic, does that count? :smith:

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

My only recommendation for new thread is 100 point font message saying “Don’t back Kickstarter Games”

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I think we should recc some of the now quite good co op lcgs as well. There's a lot of overlap in what arkham lcg does and in what spirit island does, but arkham has a lower buy in.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Yeah, I didn't mean an FLGS specifically, but more "generally available", and something my FLGS could at least back order. No KS exclusives, no games only from the company that makes them, etc.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Impermanent posted:

I think we should recc some of the now quite good co op lcgs as well. There's a lot of overlap in what arkham lcg does and in what spirit island does, but arkham has a lower buy in.

I think the de facto is Marvel Champions, but having a few on there would be good.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I bought 7 Wonders Duel as a present to myself and my partner because y'all said good words about it a while back. Game's good, thanks and Merry Christmas!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

CitizenKeen posted:

Yeah, I didn't mean an FLGS specifically, but more "generally available", and something my FLGS could at least back order. No KS exclusives, no games only from the company that makes them, etc.

For lightweight/intro games sure, but the OP should probably cover more than just that if we want it to be a wholistic view of modern board games.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I suggest that more expensive games can be listed, provided they're mentioned as being more expensive, and listed alongside games in the same categories that are less expensive?

Many "new boardgamers" are on a budget or aren't sure if their interest will last: but some are not. Perhaps instead of a hard price limit, the thread could make choices based partially on value for money... if that's possible to reach a consensus on.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Games I'd like to bloody play for once from my shelf in 2022. Corona kind of affected how much our play group could get together, or any game group anyway.

Stephenson's Rocket - The Grail kickstarter rerelease from a few years back is absolutely gorgeous, and I feel the game is very solid, probably underlooked mostly for availability reasons in the Knizia catalogue. Have got this to table like twice after getting it in some era before Corona hit.

Commands & Colors: Napoleonics - I've digged the system since Memoir '44 and Napoleonic wars as setting gives me good Sean Bean feels. Zero plays this year and I'd definitely like to push some goddamn cubes.

Fury of Dracula (3rd ed.) - This actually fits our play group taste pretty well I think... but we've put few enough plays on it that the game length sort of becomes a problem, when you're playing it once in two years. On weeknights when we usually find time there's a 3+ hour window where I'd like to get things done before finishing and hitting the sack, and this has kinda pushed it in our group. Otherwise - perfect for our five player group with gaming tastes that are mix between serious euros and more trashy and thematic.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Leperflesh posted:

I suggest that more expensive games can be listed, provided they're mentioned as being more expensive, and listed alongside games in the same categories that are less expensive?

Many "new boardgamers" are on a budget or aren't sure if their interest will last: but some are not. Perhaps instead of a hard price limit, the thread could make choices based partially on value for money... if that's possible to reach a consensus on.

I don't see the point, there aren't that many $100+ games that are unique enough to justify the outlay for somebody who's new. Although I guess it doesn't matter since the OP never gets read.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Crackbone posted:

I don't see the point, there aren't that many $100+ games that are unique enough to justify the outlay for somebody who's new. Although I guess it doesn't matter since the OP never gets read.

I think there's kind of an overlap between some of the premium miniatures boardgames, and the tabletop wargame genre? As an example. I'm not a boardgame expert enough to say for certain that any of those premium minis games have no less expensive analogues, though: I'll leave that to you guys to figure out.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

There's games like Kilforth that have a big solo gamer following that are exclusively kickstarter to create it, and the recent one is up with selling minis, and they really dislike the minis. I don't really get it, but I love minis :shrug:

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
In good game came out news, I received the unfortunately named "Uprising: Curse of the Last Emperor" kickstarter this week and gave it a try and it's... promising?

It's a co-op Pandemic/Defenders of the Realm fantasy game that's probably best played solo or 2P because it has all of the issues that you might expect a co-op to have but the art production on it reminds me of the old Conan Marvel comics in its floridly colorful take on grimdark, it uses good plastic standees instead of minis in a welcome change-up, and it's generally a solid first-time production for a young gaming company. Not a ton new under the sun in terms of its design, but I can definitely see it coming to the table several times while I work through its solo puzzles.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

CitizenKeen posted:

Agree 1000%. It's something I bring up with Game Brain podcast, let's avoid talking about games no one can get at a reasonable price.

If we want to include a miniatures section, we could mention that these games are often over 100$ but I don't think there should be any board games over $100, especially with JotL. In my Management thread, I find that people do read the OP, and I work at keeping it timely.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Crackbone posted:

There’s no reason to push $100 games in a guide meant for people new to the hobby.

If that’s the case then we don’t need recs for anything other than introductory light games.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

PRADA SLUT posted:

If that’s the case then we don’t need recs for anything other than introductory light games.

You are out of touch with what these terms mean. If you can’t think of a game for less than $100 that isn’t “light” and “introductory” than you need to revise your definitions.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Jewmanji posted:

You are out of touch with what these terms mean. If you can’t think of a game for less than $100 that isn’t “light” and “introductory” than you need to revise your definitions.

So then the point of the OP isn’t “recommendations for new players”, it’s “anything so long as it’s under $100”

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

PRADA SLUT posted:

So then the point of the OP isn’t “recommendations for new players”, it’s “anything so long as it’s under $100”

Is your whole gimmick just being a contrarian shitbird?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Crackbone posted:

Is your whole gimmick just being a contrarian shitbird?

I’m just asking who the OP recommendations are for. New players getting their first modern game? People who have a collection and are looking for a new game they might have missed? Both? Something else?

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

PRADA SLUT posted:

I’m just asking who the OP recommendations are for. New players getting their first modern game? People who have a collection and are looking for a new game they might have missed? Both? Something else?

Do you see how what you've posted does not indicate this at all and instead clearly paints you as an awful poo poo head who is not earnestly trying to contribute?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Fair enough, but your previous comment seemed needlessly pedantic. I just don't see the OP getting a ton of use except for the newest of players who don't want to ask directly in the thread. Otherwise they're probably just going to jump into the conversation.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

interrodactyl posted:

Do you see how what you've posted does not indicate this at all and instead clearly paints you as an awful poo poo head who is not earnestly trying to contribute?

I’m pretty sure I posted like 15 games of a spread of genres and styles and prices few hours ago and then goons started frothing about “rape games” when I mentioned Gloomhaven and Too Many Bones.

I’m just wondering who the OP is supposed to be tailored for, and that I don’t think $130 for bespoke games (TMB, GH, some euros) too outlandish for some “serious” players/collectors if that’s going to be some of the people targeting in the OP. If that's not who the OP is targeting, that's fine, but I was under the impression it was for a broader audience than just new people.

Even a few games like Lisboa or the other Vital Lacerda games are around there, so it's not just "massive mini-heavy kickstarter titles"

PRADA SLUT posted:

Sub-$100 is going to cut out a genre of games like Gloomhaven and Too Many Bones.

KPC_Mammon posted:

Jaws of the Lion is 40 dollars. You just want a precedent to recommend a lovely titty and rape game.

??

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 24, 2021

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

PRADA SLUT posted:

I have about 70 board games on my shelf and I prefer heavier weight games. The only one that cost more than $100 was Gloomhaven, though I'm admittedly considering FCM. I would say the target audience for the OP is "anybody who reads the OP for suggestions" and there's no reason to suggest games north of $100 in the OP.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

PRADA SLUT posted:

then goons started frothing about “rape games”

Is 3 probes in 3 days enough to tell someone to gently caress off from the thread already

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

PRADA SLUT posted:

So, taxonomy by players/weight is useless.

Instead, OP should have games listed by theme/mechanics since that's what most people like anyway.

This is wrong for two reasons.

1: I've said it before and I'll say it again: some people who are incredibly entrenched into the hobby have utterly forgotten what it is like to be new. Normally this takes the shape in the form of snobbishly gatekeeping complexity, but it can also come in the form of having too great of expectations of new players. Many new players have no idea what they like or don't like because they haven't played many hobbyist board games if any. Sure, some have penetrated the mainstream mindsphere like Ticket To Ride or Codenames, but you can't build a terribly helpful suggestion for beginners on two to four games except in extremely broad strokes of complexity. This is why the terms 'gateway game' and to a lesser extent "next step games' have been so helpful. They are a place where anyone can start and be reasonably well assured that they won't be in over their heads. Also, by having them by in such an arrangement, someone who has come into board games through something like Tabletop or other gaming content on their own and might have played their first and second step games can then see the next step. It serves everyone to arrange it this way.

Now, we couldn't also have additional recommendations by mechanic for those that have an awareness, but a person who possesses the grammar to ask that kind of question can also be served by just asking in the thread. The OP is to serve people coming in 'off the street' and so I'd be in favor of leaving it somewhat leaner.

2: The importance of player count cannot be understated. If someone is only going to play with their spouse, that is going to be different than someone who plays with their three teenage children to someone who wants to break it out at parties. I would posit that most old-school mainstream games play at least 6 players, but that sets an unmet expectation on designer hobbyist board games. Maybe of them stop at 4. So, if you don't take player count into account, then you end up it turns out is not going to do what they want because oops it maxes at 4 or oops it's a 2 player game or oops it can play 2 but it kinda isn't great at that number. Then they are disappointed they spent $40-60$ on something that fails to be social lubricant that they wanted it to be. Maybe that is a small amount of money to you or I or many goons, but maybe it isn't to them, and now board games are related to the sting of loving up and wasting money and potentially drive them away. It's a part of the accessibility of this luxury goods hobby that many of us forget; not everyone can spring to drop $160 bucks on a game full of plastic they never play, so we need to be supportive consumers for one another and try and treat our co-gamer's money as valuable by giving them the recommendations most likely to succeed, not the Platonic Ideal of Good Game.

loving Goons posted:

:words: about $100 board games

Also, suggesting less expensive board games is good for selfish reasons of spreading the hobby. Lets say someone introduces their friends to Nemesis. Let's say that the complexity is not an issue, and they have a real good time. The other players think "I should consider getting this game and playing it with people other than the owner" but then they see the price. That game is $149 on Amazon right now. Do they have that money? Can they justify that to their spouse? It's really big; do they have space? Now reconsider if the game was Insider, which is $23 on Amazon. Those issues are smaller barriers. Which one is more likely to buy a version for themselves and become a proselytizer of the hobby?

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Who's bought board game Christmas gifts? I've got one for each of my household:

Wife: Codenames (we love Duet and now the kids play we could do with something more suitable for more players)
Daughter: Queendomino (she loves Kingdomino and it's an obvious progression, plus you can combine them, which is cool)
Son: Forbidden Desert (he loves Forbidden Island and it's an obvious progression)

I had Fog of Love on my wish list, so imagine I may receive that.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Fog of Love is A Good Game

I got my nieces Stuffed Fables. I got them Zombie Kidz last year as a "non-linear" game so it seemed like a step up.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Dec 24, 2021

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I'll note that of the 23 light games I listed only 3 could be considered "not readily available". Same with medium, only 1 or 2 might be out of stock most times. The only expensive (~ >$75) games listed are A Feast for Odin, Roads and Boats, and Pax Pamir, all in the heavy categories and obviously more niche for people that have an idea what they're looking into. Every light and medium game listed besides RollftG, Marvel Champs, and Through the Desert is also under $30 normally, with many being under $20.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Daughter: Queendomino (she loves Kingdomino and it's an obvious progression, plus you can combine them, which is cool)
Son: Forbidden Desert (he loves Forbidden Island and it's an obvious progression)
I bought my son King and Queendomino for Christmas, thanks for the reminder to go watch a "How to play" video.

As the grownup who gets roped into games with my five year old the most often, Forbidden Desert is more enjoyable as a grownup than Island.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Who's bought board game Christmas gifts? I've got one for each of my household:

Wife: Codenames (we love Duet and now the kids play we could do with something more suitable for more players)

I had Fog of Love on my wish list, so imagine I may receive that.

We normally give boardgames to some of the extended family. Two copies of My City, one of King of Tokyo, and one of the R&W version of Dinosaur Island.

The last is for the family I know that plays board games regularly so we needed something a little heavier that they didn't have.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Would Castles of Burgundy be a "cheap" intro game without difficult game mechanics for newbie board gamers?

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Who's bought board game Christmas gifts?

My nephew is getting Relic. I know it's not going to be a thread favourite, but he's 11 and had a blast playing Talisman at my house and he loves 40k so it seemed like a safe bet.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Actual BG question:

How long does a "full" game of Sleeping Gods take? Box says 20 hours, is that accurate with 2?

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Would Castles of Burgundy be a "cheap" intro game without difficult game mechanics for newbie board gamers?

Probably, if you’re okay with a euro introduction

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 24, 2021

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Bought Lost Ruins of Arnak (expansion coming when it’s released in the US) for my gaming partner. I don’t like the game but he does and I’ll play it.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Mayveena posted:

Bought Lost Ruins of Arnak (expansion coming when it’s released in the US) for my gaming partner. I don’t like the game but he does and I’ll play it.

I think I'm with you more than your partner. It's such an odd game that I want to like but keep falling short on it. I've played more than a few games on BGA just trying to see if with familiarity I was able to overcome my hesitations and get into it. But yeah not so much, idk.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

GreenBuckanneer posted:

With little other gaming experience? I wouldn't recommend it. There are 37 different tiles with unique rules and icons and interactions. Firmly middle weight euro IMO. That'd be a big step up from something like Carcassonne while feeling/looking like a similar type of game.

If you're teaching and have experience though, yeah, people can handle most anything if they're into it.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Taverns of Tiefenthal is a great game that I've played with a bunch of non gamers or people that haven't played many games. Everyone has loved it. It's especially nice that you can add in new rules one at a time to give it a bit more depth without it getting confusing.

Go through the first turn or two one at a time instead of simultaneously playing, though, so inexperienced players can grasp the concept.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Magnetic North posted:

This is wrong for two reasons.

1: I've said it before and I'll say it again: some people who are incredibly entrenched into the hobby have utterly forgotten what it is like to be new. Normally this takes the shape in the form of snobbishly gatekeeping complexity, but it can also come in the form of having too great of expectations of new players. Many new players have no idea what they like or don't like because they haven't played many hobbyist board games if any. Sure, some have penetrated the mainstream mindsphere like Ticket To Ride or Codenames, but you can't build a terribly helpful suggestion for beginners on two to four games except in extremely broad strokes of complexity. This is why the terms 'gateway game' and to a lesser extent "next step games' have been so helpful. They are a place where anyone can start and be reasonably well assured that they won't be in over their heads. Also, by having them by in such an arrangement, someone who has come into board games through something like Tabletop or other gaming content on their own and might have played their first and second step games can then see the next step. It serves everyone to arrange it this way.

Now, we couldn't also have additional recommendations by mechanic for those that have an awareness, but a person who possesses the grammar to ask that kind of question can also be served by just asking in the thread. The OP is to serve people coming in 'off the street' and so I'd be in favor of leaving it somewhat leaner.

2: The importance of player count cannot be understated. If someone is only going to play with their spouse, that is going to be different than someone who plays with their three teenage children to someone who wants to break it out at parties. I would posit that most old-school mainstream games play at least 6 players, but that sets an unmet expectation on designer hobbyist board games. Maybe of them stop at 4. So, if you don't take player count into account, then you end up it turns out is not going to do what they want because oops it maxes at 4 or oops it's a 2 player game or oops it can play 2 but it kinda isn't great at that number. Then they are disappointed they spent $40-60$ on something that fails to be social lubricant that they wanted it to be. Maybe that is a small amount of money to you or I or many goons, but maybe it isn't to them, and now board games are related to the sting of loving up and wasting money and potentially drive them away. It's a part of the accessibility of this luxury goods hobby that many of us forget; not everyone can spring to drop $160 bucks on a game full of plastic they never play, so we need to be supportive consumers for one another and try and treat our co-gamer's money as valuable by giving them the recommendations most likely to succeed, not the Platonic Ideal of Good Game.

Also, suggesting less expensive board games is good for selfish reasons of spreading the hobby. Lets say someone introduces their friends to Nemesis. Let's say that the complexity is not an issue, and they have a real good time. The other players think "I should consider getting this game and playing it with people other than the owner" but then they see the price. That game is $149 on Amazon right now. Do they have that money? Can they justify that to their spouse? It's really big; do they have space? Now reconsider if the game was Insider, which is $23 on Amazon. Those issues are smaller barriers. Which one is more likely to buy a version for themselves and become a proselytizer of the hobby?

I just wanted to recognize the thought and effort you put into this post. The first question that has to be answered is, "What is/are the point/s of the list?" and your answer rings true for one very reasonable answer to that question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
I got the 3rd Arkham Horror 3ed expansion for Xmas, containing it all on one box is no longer an option :negative: