Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I hope CS is happy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

freebooter posted:

Also wow I had not kept up with the case numbers in the formerly COVID-free states that have opened up but wow, Queensland and SA, save some COVID for the rest of us

I mean that was pretty clear when you were calling them Covid-Zero states when they had hundreds of active cases.

But yeah, shits hosed, Morrison has likely just definitely lost the election on this based on the many thousands of Christmasses cancelled.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
And Perth also gets this for Christmas!

Covid outbreak AND a record setting Christmas heatwave, merry loving Christmas

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Senor Tron posted:

I mean that was pretty clear when you were calling them Covid-Zero states when they had hundreds of active cases.

But yeah, shits hosed, Morrison has likely just definitely lost the election on this based on the many thousands of Christmasses cancelled.

You know what I meant, the states that were COVID-zero until very recently, as opposed to NSW and Vic which have been plagued with it the whole way through.

I think my favourite insulting phrase that I've actually seen in the national press is "the outlying states."

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Solemn Sloth posted:

hosed up that Macron would go straight to biological warfare

Perfidious Albany

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

People were camping out at 1am last night to get covid tests when they open at 8am. The lines are that big.

I really have to think the people in charge are just loving idiots who didn't think covid was real, because they clearly didn't anticipate the capacity they'd need to open up.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

freebooter posted:

Also wow I had not kept up with the case numbers in the formerly COVID-free states that have opened up but wow, Queensland and SA, save some COVID for the rest of us

Enjoy the new freedom, lesser states of Australia.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I know I get my concept of personal responsibility from a man who went on holidays to Hawaii when all of Australia was burning.

Hey Jenny is fire bad?

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

Pleasant Friend posted:

People were camping out at 1am last night to get covid tests when they open at 8am. The lines are that big.

I really have to think the people in charge are just loving idiots who didn't think covid was real, because they clearly didn't anticipate the capacity they'd need to open up.

It's loving ridiculous. I drove around Brisbane for hours this arvo trying to get my compulsory day 5 test, and all five sites I tried were closed between 1 and 2.30pm. As in, they had completely shut up shop and left.

The total lack of testing infrastructure in place to deal with the influx of interstate visitors is insane. The standard closing time for these sites was 3pm BEFORE covid took hold in Qld but do you think they'd extend their hours once they have 500+ cases a day? Not a chance

So now as an asymptomatic visitor, I'm supposed to keep trying to waste the hours of me, my family and testers, when people who are actually sick can't even get in. What a shitshow. If they don't extend hours or get rid of the tourism testing requirement then Qld deserves covid

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
it took me 20 minutes to get tested in south brisbane at 1pm :shrug:

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...
Happy Christmas eve u dumb nerds

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

ungulateman posted:

it took me 20 minutes to get tested in south brisbane at 1pm :shrug:

Driving north was definitely a mistake

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

I had a ''nice'' 90 second ad on YouTube for the UAP narrated by Craig Kelly. It was trying to tell me as Australians we should all come together despite the happenings over the past year and unite and gave a prayer to recite.

Transparently against anti-covid measures but asking youtube viewers to pray? Is youtube that hurting for cash?

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
reach around to your neighbours this holiday season

reach around for your country

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

freebooter posted:

I think my favourite insulting phrase that I've actually seen in the national press is "the outlying states."

Inconsequential states.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Budzilla posted:

I had a ''nice'' 90 second ad on YouTube for the UAP narrated by Craig Kelly. It was trying to tell me as Australians we should all come together despite the happenings over the past year and unite and gave a prayer to recite.

Transparently against anti-covid measures but asking youtube viewers to pray? Is youtube that hurting for cash?

No it is worth one billion dollars

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Actual real life honest to god

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

But getting to it. That's not the hard part.

It's letting go.

Senor Tron posted:

I'm currently waiting outside for a COVID test, having been notified late last night that I attended an exposure site five days before. The line has spilled out of the hospital, wrapping around the block. I've been here for about fifteen minutes. Behind me, there's another fifty people. In front of me, another fourty in this straight line, who knows how many more around the corner into the hospital itself. We're all close together; there's no room to space ourselves out. We've been making progress, but it seems like we're not getting tested anytime soon. Even when we do get tested, we're all compelled to isolate until we get our result, and how long will that take?

There's no way that Morrison survives this. Hundreds of people here, all of whom have been promised that it would be OK if they got vaccinated, now have their Christmas plans broken by COVID. Boosters have been brought forward, but it's still months away for quite a few people. The election is coming up, and there's no blaming Labour for this one - this is all down to the feds emphasising vaccines as the end to the pandemic and demanding states open back up. We will see how people think once we actually go to the polls, but I don't see how the Morrison government survives this.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Forgive me if these are naive questions.

For the COVID tests one needs to go overseas, one needs to pay, (The one I paid for for what would have been my move to Japan cost $120). Is it the same for the test you need to take to go interstate? Or can you get those for free?

And are there different testing places for free tests vs the paid ones for travel? Again, is it the free tests sites that are overwhelmed, and with long queues? Or the paid ones as well?

Sierra Madre posted:

I don't see how the Morrison government survives this.

"Laybah wayste!", "Look over there, its an immigrant! Get 'em!", "Gosh, I am such a daggy dad, just like yous." and the ever popular "What're you gonna do, vote for Albanese? hahahaha."

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Australian daily cases record to go along with a new global record. Merry Christmas!

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

in 2022 i pray for an ascendant and vengeful berejiklian

Putrid Dog
Feb 13, 2012

"God, I wish I was dead!"

BrigadierSensible posted:

Forgive me if these are naive questions.

For the COVID tests one needs to go overseas, one needs to pay, (The one I paid for for what would have been my move to Japan cost $120). Is it the same for the test you need to take to go interstate? Or can you get those for free?

And are there different testing places for free tests vs the paid ones for travel? Again, is it the free tests sites that are overwhelmed, and with long queues? Or the paid ones as well?

They generally go to the same labs. Generally all are PCR tests.
The paid ones come with paperwork tied to your passport for official confirmation and travel testing isn't covered by Medicare, hence the lab charge the individual to recoup costs. This is for international flights only. Some countries require PCR and serology tests, or one or the other which affects price. What usually happens is the paid travel ones are set as a priority to be processed as soon as possible so people can make their flights.

Histopath at Melbs Syd and Brisbane international airport do rapid PCR so results can be given in an hour or so which circumvent samples going to a central lab for processing.

Domestic travel only requires a negative result via a text message, so people flocked to the general PCR service accounting for 10-20% of all testing in NSW the last week.
When the turn around blew up due to high domestic travel and the outbreak, some people have opted to pay for faster results or turned up to the airport testing sites -airport sites have since started refusing service to people who do not have international flights that day.

Basically it's a giant poo poo show for those travelling domestically that need a result within 72 hours of their flight and missing out.
It's a shitshow for people who have symptoms waiting for their result for 3-5 days which delays other contacts being notified.

A lot of people on twitter are whinging blaming the labs for poor service, but it's really the system itself that has faltered and buckled under the worst combination of conditions.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

Putrid Dog posted:

but it's really the system itself that has faltered and buckled under the worst combination of conditions. politicians themselves, who refused to plan ahead and build up "excess" capacity in the system ahead of relaxing restrictions because that would've been a bad narrative in the media for the politicians personally and also in direct conflict with the profit motive against which everything must be weighed these days, who are to blame

Putrid Dog
Feb 13, 2012

"God, I wish I was dead!"

Well yes.
The system and testing algorithms were decided by politicians and state governments. The labs operate within the system.

Labs have outfitted themselves out to the max.
A busy influenza year was ~2000 samples a day, which is nothing compared to the 20,000 they are getting now. Outside of covid testing you'd be hard pressed to find use for the instruments otherwise. The capabilities and capacity of the labs are enough, the rules that determine when you require a PCR test need to change.

I'd argue antigen testing would be needed for domestic travel with testing for PCR only done for people when they experience symptoms. If we are wanting to live with covid the state recommendations need to be changed. SA have just allowed their sale since they realised the issues caused.

Ie - there's no good reason for someone visiting QLD or SA to get a follow up PCR 5 or 6 days in the state when they've already provided a negative before they flew and don't have symptoms and you already have hundreds of cases inside your own state.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Sierra Madre posted:

I don't see how the Morrison government survives this.

I mean they could always do the same thing they successfully did the last two times a government outstayed it’s welcome: change leaders and rely on the idiocy of the average Australian voter.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Why, they'd need to convince the populace to vote against their interest!

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Drove past the Annerley (5km south of Brisbane CBD) testing clinic around 7 am. The line was 150m long already. NSW reports 6288 cases.

Merry Xmas!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Remember when we were getting less than 1500 cases a day and were under full lockdown?

Thankfully the big difference now is vaccination:

quote:

Despite clouds of uncertainty over the introduction of Omicron, there is one thing intensive care clinicians know could turn the tide.

"Ninety-four per cent of intensive care patients with COVID are not double vaxxed," Professor Cooper said.

"So intensive care COVID is almost entirely a disease of the non-vaxxed or inadequately vaxxed."

(article from just a couple weeks ago, so the figures are still good)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Local testing place is doing a half day, for Christmas. Lmdabo.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Local testing place is doing a half day, for Christmas. Lmdabo.

Health care workers don't deserve anything I agree.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Solemn Sloth posted:

I mean they could always do the same thing they successfully did the last two times a government outstayed it’s welcome: change leaders and rely on the idiocy of the average Australian voter.

This is how you get Dutton as head of the LNP

This is how you get Dutton, smiling, and trying to gladhand and kiss babies.

Both of these are horrible things.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

BrigadierSensible posted:

This is how you get Dutton as head of the LNP

This is how you get Dutton, smiling, and trying to gladhand and kiss babies.

Both of these are horrible things.

Is Dutton's seat secure enough?

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Spookydonut posted:

Is Dutton's seat secure enough?

It will be if he's made leader. Australians are nothing if not obedient voters.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I still don't quite know or understand what could possibly go so wrong in your life that you feel that voting for dutton is a thing you should do.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

dr_rat posted:

I still don't quite know or understand what could possibly go so wrong in your life that you feel that voting for dutton is a thing you should do.

Laybah waste stop the boats lift don't lean battler racism. :colbert:

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

dr_rat posted:

CHINA CHINA CHINA CHINA botes CHINA

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

I think the LNP are well and truly hosed this time, Albo will be the smallest target PM in history.

The only question in my mind is will they get a majority or be forced to work with the cross bench / how long until the rags are openly calling them nazis on the front page.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

dr_rat posted:

My brother was telling me how someone in his wife's (wealthy) family was going on about ALP being for communism so they have to vote Liberal no matter what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
People will vote for their team come election day, it doesn't matter to them who the member will be.