Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Grouchio posted:

(Why am I reacting to every bit of news like Russia's gonna drag NATO into direct conflict over ukraine when that's 'unlikely?' Too much coffee?)

Because you've been groomed to be a Jason Bourne type of thinktank foot soldier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Because you've been groomed to be a Jason Bourne type of thinktank foot soldier

:ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat:

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

jesus christ I'm Jason Bourne

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Grouchio posted:

(Why am I reacting to every bit of news like Russia's gonna drag NATO into direct conflict over ukraine when that's 'unlikely?' Too much coffee?)

You at probably reading "news" websites that are brown in red wrapping, which love to use arguments like this to promote appeasement.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Numlock posted:

Obviously it's a messy process, but should be done peacefully and by the consent of the people. Not by old white guy academics or Gangsters trying to prop up their failing kelptostates.

Or alternatively, just don't base the legitimacy of political authority on national identity. A world of nation states is a world of ethnic cleansing and cultural genocide.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

I would not be surprised if such things are a weekly occurrence in Lviv. It didn't even breach the fence and do any damage. Might as well threaten war over spray paint.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Russia has been attacked. It now must repay the 0 deaths it has suffered.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
https://mobile.twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1473795647576973326

There's a big problem with giving money to insane thugs to keep them pacified while also not developing any public institutions or civil rights organizations at the same time that would give some power or control to the population

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Somaen posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1473795647576973326

There's a big problem with giving money to insane thugs to keep them pacified while also not developing any public institutions or civil rights organizations at the same time that would give some power or control to the population

What you just wrote is word for word what america does in the Middle East

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Al-Saqr posted:

thank you for pointing this out; however, last time i checked this thread was neither about America nor about Middle East.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

The push to ban western media from Russia may be happening.

https://twitter.com/realworldrj/status/1474723112394625024

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Al-Saqr posted:

I'm sorry. I'm sorry I forgot to mention the great satan while being eastern european, talking about a topic regarding eastern europe and here in the eastern europe thread. I'll make sure to relate everything I post to something relevant to you

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Where is our friend MOLOTOV? He should be leading the charge against the Ukrainian giga turbo Nazis

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

The push to ban western media from Russia may be happening.

https://twitter.com/realworldrj/status/1474723112394625024

i thought this was just them being real mad about yt not taking down Navalny vids when rkn asks

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

i thought this was just them being real mad about yt not taking down Navalny vids when rkn asks

You thought correctly, this is the judgement on a September RKN filing against YT on FBK videos.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

OddObserver posted:

You at probably reading "news" websites that are brown in red wrapping, which love to use arguments like this to promote appeasement.

Who is "appeasing" whom and what should they be doing instead?

This term startles me because usually the idea of "appeasement," specifically the image of Chamberlain and Hitler, is invoked to justify a war which is not actually in self-defense (I remember people talking about "appeasing" Saddam Hussein for instance)

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Dec 25, 2021

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Who is "appeasing" whom and what should they be doing instead?

This term startles me because usually the idea of "appeasement," specifically the image of Chamberlain and Hitler, is invoked to justify a war which is not actually in self-defense (I remember people talking about "appeasing" Saddam Hussein for instance)
... have you read a single post in the thread past that one?

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Cugel the Clever posted:

... have you read a single post in the thread past that one?

Yeah I've been intermittently lurking for a while but I'll admit I haven't read the whole thing (it's 356 pages atm). If I admit I'm stupid and lazy will you explain it to me?

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Dec 25, 2021

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Grouchio posted:

Russia wants absolutely nothing to do with an actual war with NATO because the possible outcomes are:

1) Nuclear war where everyone important in Russia (and everywhere else) dies.

2) The combined forces of NATO destroy most of Russia's air force, navy, and tanks.

This is why Russia is picking around the edges to try and weaken the bonds of the NATO alliance.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Yeah I've been intermittently lurking for a while but I'll admit I haven't read the whole thing (it's 356 pages atm). If I admit I'm stupid and lazy will you explain it to me?

Immediately preceding 20 or so pages prominently feature repeated suggestions for the collective West to appease Putin, because, you see, Russia’s actions are governed by the forces of nature, rather than the political will of its ruler. Consequently, your post came off as a bit on the nose.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
HAPPY CHRISTMAS THREAD

lolin at my friend telling me im gonna die in an impending russian airstrike i am 100% going to die by slipping on slush in my lovely shoes and cracking my head on pavement

also surprised that the christmas celebration was as packed as it was isnt it supposed to be on the 7th here

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Supposedly, Russian troops have started withdrawing

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The Southern Military District announced the return of more than 10 thousand military personnel from field exercises, which were held at training grounds in the Astrakhan, Volgograd and Rostov regions, in the occupied Crimea, Stavropol and Krasnodar Krai, the republics of the North Caucasus, as well as at training grounds of Russian military bases in occupied Abkhazia, Armenia and occupied South Ossetia.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

The Southern Military District announced the return of more than 10 thousand military personnel from field exercises, which were held at training grounds in the Astrakhan, Volgograd and Rostov regions, in the occupied Crimea, Stavropol and Krasnodar Krai, the republics of the North Caucasus, as well as at training grounds of Russian military bases in occupied Abkhazia, Armenia and occupied South Ossetia.

i mean sure, "more than 10k" technically has no upper bound but

> Estimates for the number of Russian troops recently moved closer to Ukraine vary from 60,000 to 90,000, with one U.S. intelligence document suggesting that number could be ramped up as high as 175,000.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Yeah but they're not gonna all out invade Ukraine with 50k dudes so removing 10k is a really good sign, if they're really removed and not just shuffled around

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Yeah Im hoping this is a first wave to leave. Obviously we are not seeing the entirety of the realpolitik that's occuring.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

HAPPY CHRISTMAS THREAD

lolin at my friend telling me im gonna die in an impending russian airstrike i am 100% going to die by slipping on slush in my lovely shoes and cracking my head on pavement

also surprised that the christmas celebration was as packed as it was isnt it supposed to be on the 7th here

I remember being at this christmas market and accidently taking a picture which had ded moroz in it. Cost me 20 USD :arghfist:

FishBulbia fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Dec 26, 2021

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Only time will tell. But why did Putin decide to move troops out on Christmas day? It's a really interesting move since most of the focus today is holidays and family not politics(oops)

Edit: backpedaling, it's just another day in Russia.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Dec 26, 2021

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Only time will tell. But why did Putin decide to move troops out on Christmas day? It's a really interesting move since most of the focus today is holidays and family not politics(oops)

It's not Christmas Day in Russia, just a random work FridaySaturday

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

OddObserver posted:

Oh that's January 7th. Sorry I literally didn't know this.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

OddObserver posted:

hey now, it's sort of a special day

also: drat it is far more annoying than i'd expect to find archival copies of izvestia. you'd think there'd be something not locked behind academic library logins or charging $15/issue

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

hey now, it's sort of a special day

also: drat it is far more annoying than i'd expect to find archival copies of izvestia. you'd think there'd be something not locked behind academic library logins or charging $15/issue

eastview has a monopoly sadly

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Yeah Im hoping this is a first wave to leave. Obviously we are not seeing the entirety of the realpolitik that's occuring.

The Southern Military District is right next to Ukraine anyway, and this excludes the elements that have been based in Crimea.

It's nothing.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Nice one Russia.
Always be evil.

https://twitter.com/MID_RF/status/1474763289267683329?t=boR-LZtuVL657T8kF98osw&s=19

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

RT reminds good patriotic Russians there's no place like being homophobe for the holidays.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
It's funny because Russia is on top of divorce statistics globally so a Russian kid is more likely to have multiple parents than a western kid. Of course those children need to be reminded on television that they are abnormal weirdos.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Russia is worse at pretty much everything they criticize Europe/the US for. Crime, drug use, militarism, poverty, divorce rates, youth unemployment, freedom of expression, etc. It's the local methhead rambling about Ritalin over-prescription

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

GABA ghoul posted:

Russia is worse at pretty much everything they criticize Europe/the US for. Crime, drug use, militarism, poverty, divorce rates, youth unemployment, freedom of expression, etc. It's the local methhead rambling about Ritalin over-prescription

Extremely rude things to say about the U.S.S.R.'s successor state.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

GABA ghoul posted:

Not to mention TikTok celebrities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Paladinus posted:

Not to mention TikTok celebrities.

Anyways, you a симпл димпл or a попит guy?