Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

FFT posted:

the movie has a post-credits scene

it is entirely too self aware

Yeah the parasidic chud doing that changed everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Post cold war anyone accurately pointing out the ravages of capitalism was at best treated as unserious like a kid wanting to free the science lab frogs, at worst like a literal insane person not recognising reality of eternal joyous worship of consumerism

yeah pretty much. although its funny a lot of 80s movies, even some dumb chevy chase movies like a christmas vacation, had some poignant critiques of capitalism and the worker-relationship to it

and sinbad's rant is good that even the dimmest bulb could go uh yeah they do that and its a simple extrapolation to general capitalism

quote:

We are being set up by powerful toy cartels.

These fat cats use working-class like me and you. They spend billions of dollars on TV advertisement, and then they use subliminal messages to suck your children's minds out! And then they sit there and they make your children feel like garbage and you, the father, who's working 24/7 delivering mail so you can make an alimony payment to a woman that slept with everybody at the post office, but me! And then when you get the toy, it breaks and you can't fix it because it's little cheap plastic!

thta all kinda disapeared by the late 90s tho

Serf
May 5, 2011

i think that adam mckay's most interesting film is "the other guys" which makes the 2008 crash a key plot element and ends by just throwing out facts about how bad the crash actually was and how no one faced any consequences except for the working class. at the time it felt like a nice confirmation that i wasn't crazy for noticing all that. putting it at the end of an action comedy probably got more people to look at it than his other movies too

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

i only just realized that A Christmas Story is set in pre-WWII america.

It's simultaneously set in pre-WWII America and post-WWII America

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

It's simultaneously set in pre-WWII America and post-WWII America

it's super confusing. like if you actually think about it, there's no way it's supposed to be after ww2 (based on when the author of the story was born and the prevalence of Wizard Of Oz) but it's also very much a story that takes place in post-war America somehow.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

ralphies class being integrated was for me the biggest wtf this cant be the forties moment

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

FFT posted:

top-tier time loop movies

Groundhog Day
Edge of Tomorrow
Palm Springs
Run Lola Run (Lola rennt)
ARQ

Predestination

Serf
May 5, 2011

just watched the zero-budget comedy “the lake michigan monster” and i gotta say i liked it. tons of inventive camera work to cover for the lack of money, actors pulling double and triple duty behind the scenes, stretching out every bit of costuming and location work to the fullest and generally just an enjoyable 78 minutes that made me laugh more than most recent comedies i’ve seen.

at one point they parody “lord of the rings” with the main character striking a bargain with an army of ghosts to fight the lake monster and the line “we have to retreat, we’re losing a lot of good ghosts down here!” combined with the visual of ghosts body parts flying through the water was hilarious to me

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Serf posted:

i think that adam mckay's most interesting film is "the other guys" which makes the 2008 crash a key plot element and ends by just throwing out facts about how bad the crash actually was and how no one faced any consequences except for the working class. at the time it felt like a nice confirmation that i wasn't crazy for noticing all that. putting it at the end of an action comedy probably got more people to look at it than his other movies too

McKay also produced "Hustlers" in 2019 with Constance Wu and J-Lo and that also has the 2008 crash serve as a key plot element

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Hustlers is actually pretty good

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

StashAugustine posted:

Hustlers is actually pretty good

It is!

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Atrocious Joe posted:

I don't know if it's a good movie, but I think if you're reading this thread you'll at least find it interesting. It's an overlong, flawed movie made by Democrats. On the other hand the reactions to it are fun and I think it's notable to see what Adam McKay puts out in his role as court jester for the capitalist class.

I saw some small account tweet this reaction, and I honestly think this is a legitimate reading of the film.

At the end of the movie, as the comet is about to impact, DiCaprio's character says they put up a good fight. That "good" fight consisted of leaking a story to the press, making media appearances, and hosting a charity concert. The lack of political imagination is astounding. The protagonists are portrayed as foolish and selfish, but I don't think that sentiment was meant as a joke. There was never any real possibility besides global extinction.

Since we can't stop climate change, we should take the time to appreciate what we have now.

I'm thinking about how that applies to the billions of people who have far less to appreciate than people in the US.

i thought it was self aware about that actually

fighting the good fight, because the concert where people were clapping and shouting and cheering hard wasn't going to make the comet go away, thats what it culminated into so im pretty sure it was on the mark for that regarding how good intentions don't mean poo poo if people don't actually follow through instead of waging an idiotic psychic energy war with the government that has nothing to lose at all with this other than a gamble to be even more richer.

it's not an amazing movie, but it's not garbage either with a strong cast, it was amusing enough for thought but it's just so weird living through it and seeing it in movie form, the meta kinda really overtakes that

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

i say swears online posted:

i just started Don't Look Up and it opens with one of the better jack handey deep thoughts. i'm fuckin' sold

*whispers* authoritarianism

Go on, I'm asking b/c I'm not sure what people are supposed to do, I personally feel any effort I make is pointless.

FFT posted:

i said "time loop movies" not "time spaghetti-Os movies"

Oh ok

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

galagazombie posted:

My favorite Cardassian cultural factoid is their version of Crime Procedurals (called “enigma tales”) where the gimmick isn’t finding out who’s guilty, because obviously every character is guilty, the story is about figuring out what everyone actually guilty of. It’s genius not because of its critique of American law enforcement, but because in the 90’s it accurately predicted how in the 2000’s with stuff like CSI this is exactly what modern Crime Procedurals are.

while its certainly gotten worse in the twenty first century i dont know that the genre as we know it has really changed that fundamentally since dragnet its just that in dragnet people tended to have actual reasons for committing crimes aside from just wanting to be a psychotic rear end in a top hat

you gotta go way back to written mystery stories before literally every mystery was a murder mystery to find situations where there isnt at least one criminal plotting to kill another criminal and the story is about exposing multiple crimes adventure of the blanched soldier is a good one that manages to have no actual crimes being committed at all

https://www.dfw-sherlock.org/uploads/3/7/3/8/37380505/1926_november_the_adventure_of_the_blanched_soldier.pdf

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

FFT posted:

top-tier time loop movies

Groundhog Day
Edge of Tomorrow
Palm Springs
Run Lola Run (Lola rennt)
ARQ

I've been telling everyone about arq

Don't sleep on timecrimes or coherence (coherence is honorary time loop)

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

mastershakeman posted:

I've been telling everyone about arq

Don't sleep on timecrimes or coherence (coherence is honorary time loop)

was coming to post coherence, and agreed re: timecrimes which is wonderfully self-contained

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

https://mobile.twitter.com/yurirando/status/1472708850969055232?s=21

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Other great moment from the NYT review of Don't Look Up.

quote:

The stakes are higher still in “Don’t Look Up,” which grows progressively more frenetic and wobbly as the inevitability of the catastrophe is finally grasped by even the most ridiculous of the movie’s buffoon-rich cast of characters. One problem is that some of McKay’s biggest targets here — specifically in politics and infotainment — have already reached maximum self-parody or tragedy (or both). What is left to satirically skewer when facts are derided as opinion, flat Earthers attend annual conferences and conspiracy theory movements like QAnon have become powerful political forces?

I think Russiagate was a bigger deal than the Flat Earth movement when it came to influencing politics. Including that would implicate the Times though so it's left out.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I thought Don't Look Up was great. The amalgamation of zuckerberg and jordan peterson was my favorite part

edit lol NYT. wow it's like they don't realize they're the bad guys too

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i honestly dont get why people have such ire for flat earthers as cranks go theyre pretty harmless and im having a hard time imagining what kind of apocalyptic changes they could inflict if they somehow gained any kind of meaningful political power

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Some Guy TT posted:

i honestly dont get why people have such ire for flat earthers as cranks go theyre pretty harmless and im having a hard time imagining what kind of apocalyptic changes they could inflict if they somehow gained any kind of meaningful political power

yeah any oil exec is a million times worse since there's actual damage there

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Some Guy TT posted:

you gotta go way back to written mystery stories before literally every mystery was a murder mystery to find situations where there isnt at least one criminal plotting to kill another criminal and the story is about exposing multiple crimes adventure of the blanched soldier is a good one that manages to have no actual crimes being committed at all

https://www.dfw-sherlock.org/uploads/3/7/3/8/37380505/1926_november_the_adventure_of_the_blanched_soldier.pdf

Quaker City by George Lippard does an extremely deep dive on this in 1845. It was published in packets and is extremely long, full of corruption, critical of capitalism, and has supernatural Dante style allegory supposing Philadelphia will turn into Sodom ruled by hegemonic demons by 1950 if hypocritical wealthy elitists continue to run the government. It gets into the motivations of criminals, way beyond just being evil for the sake of it and was the best selling novel in America until Uncle Tom's Cabin.

It was written in response to a real crime, where a rich guy seduced and raped a 16 year old girl @ gunpoint and then her brother kills the rapist. The brother avoids a murder charge by pleading insanity.

https://archive.org/stream/quakercity00lipparch/quakercity00lipparch_djvu.txt
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Q...ted%20citizens.

Miss Lonelyhearts has issued a correction as of 19:40 on Dec 25, 2021

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Some Guy TT posted:

flat earth theory is a gateway drug into antisemitic conspiracy theories, another recruiting tool for the right.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Some Guy TT posted:

Flat earthers are harmless, yeah. The ones you gotta keep an eye on are hollow earthers.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

thinking about how inside job made flatearthers out to be dumb and so goddamn crazy because the earth is hollow and the lizard people live in it is the more obvious and respectable conspiracy theory

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

500 good dogs posted:

the movie is funny and good if you have even the most mild case of cspam brain and you should watch it

As soon as they crack pinged in the first few minutes I knew I was in for a good ride (still haven't finished it because it's 2 and a half loving hours long but I was laughing non stop like the joker)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

It's because they Don't Trust Science

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
i dunno the earth looks flat to me

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Lastgirl posted:

i thought it was self aware about that actually

fighting the good fight, because the concert where people were clapping and shouting and cheering hard wasn't going to make the comet go away, thats what it culminated into so im pretty sure it was on the mark for that regarding how good intentions don't mean poo poo if people don't actually follow through instead of waging an idiotic psychic energy war with the government that has nothing to lose at all with this other than a gamble to be even more richer.

it's not an amazing movie, but it's not garbage either with a strong cast, it was amusing enough for thought but it's just so weird living through it and seeing it in movie form, the meta kinda really overtakes that
that was my take as well. i liked it: cast carried it pretty far. i wouldn't say it was a super masterpiece just because i'm already living and aware of all the insanity of media libs and conservatives; but worth a watch none the less if you've got a couple hours to kill.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i htink it's a good movie to send to lib friends

last night though, my roommate said "so this is about trump and covid right??" so maybe some people are just unreachable

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Some Guy TT posted:

Libs loving hate anything that points out how loving useless and failed thier ideology is. If we had an actual functional ideology we would have a loving moon bridge we could ride to pick up some loving moon milk from the moon store but since we gave up on accomplishing things and decided to buy useless poo poo collectively forever our progress with space exploration as a species is in ruin.
You wouldn't be able to say the moon doesn't exist and the earth was flat if every average Joe could set foot on it casually. Instead we're just sitting here rotting and weird poo poo happens like flat earthers popup because what does it loving matter if the earth is round or if we went to the moon if we aren't ACTUALLY DOING ANYTHING with that knowledge.

And that's what pisses them off, flat earthers are just a big gently caress you you failed as a species sign get hosed

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

https://twitter.com/stavvybaby/status/1474819322258276357

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

A Buttery Pastry posted:

flat earth theory is a gateway drug into antisemitic conspiracy theories, another recruiting tool for the right.

it's so wild that people believe this because flat earthers are easily the most messy, drama loving, bitches in conspiracy right now so you can just go on tiktok and youtube and poo poo and see that it's no more a 'gateway' than any other nonsense that can be twisted around to 'and that's because the jews do it'.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
that global warming movie is 150 minutes long? gently caress that lol

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

indigi posted:

Yeah xi needs to shorten our loving movies to 90

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

indigi posted:

yeah 2:20 was a bit overly long for it. comedys should be like 90 mins max

still to it's credit, it mostly doesnt feel like it drags at all and you don't really notice. runtime is mostly only a problem if a movie is bad/boring

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Don't look up would have been way better if the president was a democrat chronically incapable of doing anything except what they're told by the Zuckerberg/thiel/musk character. Meryl streep's lady trump and Jonah hill were quite funny though I guess

Ideologically a trash film but it still had very funny moments, timotheé chalemet turning up as a dirtbag anarchist evangelical was pretty great

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Xaris posted:

yeah 2:20 was a bit overly long for it. comedys should be like 90 mins max

still to it's credit, it mostly doesnt feel like it drags at all and you don't really notice. runtime is mostly only a problem if a movie is bad/boring

it'd be fine if it was funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Flat earthers are given a disproportionate amount of attention as far as "conspiracy theorists" are concerned because it's something that you can conclusively point to as being dead wrong that nobody would ever try to argue against on the merits

It's such an easy dunk that it does lead people to draw some bad conclusions, such as for example:

https://twitter.com/tristanitis/status/1474785134419189763?t=k-yGYbmkW_tDPWJk8R_BFw&s=19

"conspiracies are impossible because too many people would be involved to keep it secret" is a bad take, because A. assuming that the Earth is flat is perfectly refutable via the science of it without having to debate the logistics of maintaining the facade, but also B. the conspiracies that we do know about, such as say about the Panama Papers, or Iran-Contra, or NSA eavesdropping per Edward Snowden, are all known to us BECAUSE there were indeed so many people involved that the secret became impossible to keep, but that didn't stop the conspiracy from happening, nor did it mean people were ever held accountable for engaging in the conspiracy.