Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Zeria posted:

Oh hey, this guy I knew is making all kinds of headlines.

https://nypost.com/2021/12/23/unvaccinated-michigan-diner-owner-who-defied-shutdown-dies-of-covid/

"An unvaccinated Michigan diner owner who bucked a state shutdown during the coronavirus pandemic has died of COVID-19.

The hard-working vet and father of three wasn’t vaccinated, relatives said.

“However, during his battle, when he was able to talk, John shared with his family that he will be getting vaccinated because the battle, at that point, was worse than any training he endured in the military,” according to the fundraiser signed by the families."

:sickos:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Colonel Cancer posted:

Just lol at people who still have family

:hmmyes:

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
Unexpected to me but there are far fewer large gatherings in my parent's neighborhood this year than last

Maybe the people who have large gatherings have lost numbers

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

Baconroll posted:

I'm wondering at what point fatigue with restrictions will get to the point of being 'screw it' even for responsible pro-vax folks who follow all the precautions. 3 years, 4 years ?

The light at the end of the tunnel is pi, rho and sigma variants boarding the train.

If you use Australia as an exemplar, about 2 months ago. The NSW and Vic lockdowns demonstrated that Delta couldn't be stopped without people doing more than they wanted to, so no most people aren't trying.

Even in Canberra which had a 95% vax rate, people aren't wearing masks or doing check-ins anymore.

I'm old, fat and tired of lockdowns myself so I've just updated my will and now I'm waiting for a cure/death. (Also maybe I have depression now.)

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Baconroll posted:

I'm wondering at what point fatigue with restrictions will get to the point of being 'screw it' even for responsible pro-vax folks who follow all the precautions. 3 years, 4 years ?

It feels like we are coming to the point where everyone has had Covid or knows someone close who had it, but they are vaxxed and it’s not really any worse than the flu and comes and goes in a few days.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
My friends and family (bay area, upstate new york) mostly managed to dodge it until recently. Then two of my uncles houses tested positive in the last two weeks. Thankfully everyone was boosted. Everyone reported symptoms akin to a mild cold (everyone involved is between 25 and 60).

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

coelomate posted:

Devil's Advocate:

I've seen reputable sources say 90%+ of Omicron cases will be asymptomatic, hospitalizations and deaths have been massively lower in regions where Omicron came first and has burned through the population, and maybe most importantly: the news and holidays caused a surge in testing, even from people who were asymptomatic.

So yep, hockey stick case count, as expected. That's still logically consistent with an unironic "mild all good 8)"

Every one of these sources is based on a single doctor in SA being misquoted by an anthropomorphic pine martin on twitter.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

smackfu posted:

It feels like we are coming to the point where everyone has had Covid or knows someone close who had it, but they are vaxxed and it’s not really any worse than the flu and comes and goes in a few days.

Given how absolutely loving awful actual flu is, Omicron seems to be significantly better, certainly for the vaxxed.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Given how absolutely loving awful actual flu is, Omicron seems to be significantly better, certainly for the vaxxed.

I'd be a lot more willing to be in situations where I might catch it if we knew how Omicron infections translate to long COVID (of the "permanently damages vital organs" variety).

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Nah

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Salt Fish posted:

Every one of these sources is based on a single doctor in SA being misquoted by an anthropomorphic pine martin on twitter.
We're way past that.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Scarodactyl posted:

We're way past that.

Yeah we're way past the month of identical delta is mild and "where are the deaths?" takes from september. Fool me once...

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Pediatric hospitalizations have quadrupled in NYC, and kids under 5 won’t be able to get vaccinated for some time because Pfizer hosed up their trial for that age group. Half of said hospitalizations are under-5 kids. That is decidedly not awesome.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

smackfu posted:

How many people do you think the flu kills each year exactly?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zugzwang posted:

kids under 5 won’t be able to get vaccinated for some time because Pfizer hosed up their trial for that age group

Pfizer should have listened to the American Academy of Pediatrics.

quote:

“The clinical trials for the COVID-19 vaccine in children ages 11 years old and younger are underway, and we need to see the data from those studies before we give this vaccine to younger children,” said AAP President Lee Savio Beers, MD, FAAP. “The dose may be different for younger ages. The AAP recommends against giving the vaccine to children under 12 until authorized by the FDA.”

quote:

“We do not want individual physicians to be calculating doses and dosing schedules one-by-one for younger children based on the experience with the vaccine in older patients,” Dr. Maldonado said. “We should do this based on all of the evidence for each age group, and for that we need the trials to be completed. I know parents are anxious to protect their children, but we want to make sure children have the full benefit of ongoing clinical trials.”

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
A bunch of people in my family [that don’t live with me] just tested positive in the last 3 days.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Party Ape posted:

If you use Australia as an exemplar, about 2 months ago. The NSW and Vic lockdowns demonstrated that Delta couldn't be stopped without people doing more than they wanted to, so no most people aren't trying.

Even in Canberra which had a 95% vax rate, people aren't wearing masks or doing check-ins anymore.

I'm old, fat and tired of lockdowns myself so I've just updated my will and now I'm waiting for a cure/death. (Also maybe I have depression now.)

This is not true FYI. Canberrans are both checking in and still using masks.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I was always told Canberra was Australia's Ohio.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

smackfu posted:

Did the insurance just go “lol we are paying $50”?

$400, but yeah

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

AOCs Pink Pearl posted:

A bunch of people in my family [that don’t live with me] just tested positive in the last 3 days.

Most people with omicron got it in the last 3 days.

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

abigserve posted:

This is not true FYI. Canberrans are both checking in and still using masks.

I mean that's definitely true provided you haven't gone to either Belconnen or Woden Westfields.

I was at Belco this morning and Omicron/the new guidance means mask wearing is almost universal again but two weeks ago at 11am, the only people in Coles Woden wearing a mask were me and an old couple.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen

Salt Fish posted:

Yeah we're way past the month of identical delta is mild and "where are the deaths?" takes from september. Fool me once...
There's multiple studies out pointing at severely decrease severity. It still remains early, but the signs are there for now.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

CSM posted:

There's multiple studies out pointing at severely decrease severity. It still remains early, but the signs are there for now.

It would have to be dramatically less severe (it's not) for that to even matter when the number of cases doubles every three days

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Don't worry guys Plague Island is speedrunning ALL the new variants so you don't have to, all signs so far are that it's milder than other variants. We may have 100,000+ new cases a day but it's mostly young adults (the worry is for older unvaccinated plus kids that can't be vaccinated yet, which is why other mitigations remain crucial)

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

let's see them young adult organs in a year

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

it's Philly cheese all the way down

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

If someone's unlucky and catches mild Omicron a few days after their booster, does the immune system do some kind of tandem thing with the injection site and the actual virus, or was the shot essentially wasted? When the symptoms clear up and they test negative again, are they now teeming with advanced Fusion Suit antibodies, or should they wait a couple weeks and get another booster?

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
one booster / week, in perpetuity

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Collapsing Farts posted:

one booster / week, in perpetuity

I WILL BE A LIVING GODDDDD

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

cubicle gangster posted:

$400, but yeah

You're having to pay $3700 for those tests even though you have insurance? :O

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

legooolas posted:

All the poo poo you have done in the US is billed at crazy high rates - like the $4k for a test. If you have insurance when the bill gets submitted the insurer basically says "we pay $400 for a test", and that's what they get paid. You don't owe the difference (most of the time...)

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The really silly bit is that our local urgent care puts in a $500 charge for a basic office visit, but lists the price as $129 for cash uninsured patients. So it’s literally just a made up number.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

smackfu posted:

The really silly bit is that our local urgent care puts in a $500 charge for a basic office visit, but lists the price as $129 for cash uninsured patients. So it’s literally just a made up number.

Yeah, pricing is very arbitrary and extremely jacked up:

https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2021-12-10/column-healthcare-billing-markups

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

legooolas posted:

Ha, no - I'd be on the biggest rant soapbox ever if I was having to pay anything. It was posted more as 'check out what these chumps tried to get away with'
They're not getting it, as others pointed out.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

lol My wife has been in the hospital a week and I don’t have any clue what the bill is going to be like even after insurance

I’m gonna guess like $60,000 or something that completely breaks us for the rest of our adult lives

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420

quote:

Left out of early vaccine trials and faced with confusing messages and misinformation on the dangers to their unborn children, a disproportionately large number of pregnant women have steered clear of Covid shots. About 75% of expectant mothers in the U.K. and about 65% in the U.S. remain unvaccinated, making them among the groups most at risk of getting infected and being exposed to severe forms of the disease as the fast-spreading omicron strain sweeps across the globe.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-12-23/omicron-brings-new-risks-to-mostly-unvaccinated-pregnant-women

At this point, I think all of the immune-naive people I know are pregnant / trying to get pregnant women.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Pinecone Sample posted:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-12-23/omicron-brings-new-risks-to-mostly-unvaccinated-pregnant-women

At this point, I think all of the immune-naive people I know are pregnant / trying to get pregnant women.
Pregnant people weren’t formally included in the trials, but lots of people got the shots either before knowing they were pregnant, or decided to get them anyway due to the definite risks of covid. My then-pregnant wife got her first shot in March and there were already over 20,000 such people at that point. Spoiler (no surprise): it’s fine.

I would not want to be an immune-naive person right now. It seems like any kernels of truth re: “omicron is mild” are predicated on prior infection and/or vaccination.

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011

AHH F/UGH posted:

lol My wife has been in the hospital a week and I don’t have any clue what the bill is going to be like even after insurance

I’m gonna guess like $60,000 or something that completely breaks us for the rest of our adult lives

Not American, but I’ve heard that asking for an itemized bill will help reduce the cost. That way, you only get charged for the items that the hospital can substantiate.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

AHH F/UGH posted:

Do you understand how your insurance works wrt your deductible and out of pocket max? This is something you can know ahead of time as long as the treatment is in-network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
It was my understanding when talking to the coding supervisor at my last job that insurance pays a percentage of things, hence prices being high so the hospital can recoup costs. A lot of the time stuff gets written off if it is contested. American healthcare is poo poo